Bobby Flay's Burger Palace(s)

Author
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
2008/07/17 09:39:17 (permalink)

Bobby Flay's Burger Palace(s)

Just read some info about this new "gourmet" burger chain he's starting(with other people's money?). I guess this is the latest idea that we've already read about in the Washington DC area where they are using "special rolls" and all sorts of toppings and calling their wares "gourmet burgers." People are driving less and eating more burgers in this economic downturn. We're gonna see just how long this is going to play out.

In the article about Flay's entry, they mentioned the burgers will all be cooked "medium...pink." So, he's already sucumbed to corporate right here. UGH! I know the reason I no longer go to Chili's is they will not cook you a medium rare burger and so I no longer have to ask them for one.

Chili's made this decision years and years ago. I was told by a manager it was at their insurance carrier's insistance. So, is this a carrier's pre-requisit for all chain ventures? I believe it is. Can anyone name a national chain where they'll cook you a medium rare burger?

I'd be very very surprised if Bobby Flay has any of his own money in this venture. More likely he's developed the concept and lent his name. Even if he is working with other people's money, he still has plenty of risk...His very, very good name.

If you like a medium rare burger, are you going to try his place anyway?

14 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13480
    RE: Bobby Flay's Burger Palace(s) 2008/07/17 11:32:04 (permalink)
    I have noticed that some do not care for Bobby Flay but personally, I like him and his show. I would gladly try his restaurant when I am in DC. I feel like you have to try something before you can report on it.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    RE: Bobby Flay's Burger Palace(s) 2008/07/17 12:03:24 (permalink)
    I cannot wait to try one of his burgers!
    seatown76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 379
    RE: Bobby Flay's Burger Palace(s) 2008/07/17 12:12:34 (permalink)
    I like him and his shows. Too bad I have never tried any of his places but I would gladly try out any of his food ventures.

I think that a burger done medium is fine with me.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Bobby Flay's Burger Palace(s) 2008/07/17 12:37:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seatown76

I like him and his shows. Too bad I have never tried any of his places but I would gladly try out any of his food ventures.

I think that a burger done medium is fine with me.

Same here. A burger medium is the best for me. Quite frankly a rare burger sorta scares me as it is unusual for most folks to grind a solid piece of meat in their own establishment. What most do is buy pre ground meat and the origin is not specific. E Coli is a very serious issue. I do not gamble with my health or guest that may be with me.

Paul E. Smith
    knoxville, TN
    DPuro329
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Bobby Flay's Burger Palace(s) 2008/07/18 23:13:35 (permalink)
    I can't help it, I love RARE burgers. I've gotten very rare burgers from Fuddruckers and Cheeburger Cheeburger in the past, but it's usually the big chains who use frozen patties who won't cook med rare. I've even seen chain menu's (Applebee's I think) where the standard is med-well. A line I've used is to ask the server nicely if the cook can "accidentally" take my burger off a little too soon. Some will some won't.

Dave
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5416
    RE: Bobby Flay's Burger Palace(s) 2008/07/19 00:41:00 (permalink)
    Personally I can't stand Bobby Flay. So i'll not be rushing down to DC to eat there. Not to mention my usual paranoia about DC.
    No Talent
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 262
    RE: Bobby Flay's Burger Palace(s) 2008/07/19 00:59:33 (permalink)
    Once your name becomes a franchise you never use your own money and you're not even selling food, you're selling your name. I won't be going.

Every place I go to will cook a burger anyway you want it, but they do have the "warning" about consuming raw and undercooked food right on the menu.

I read it, I order a rare burger, and I'm still here.

Right now a little mound of raw beef with a drizzle of cognac on it sounds good.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Bobby Flay's Burger Palace(s) 2008/07/19 09:09:37 (permalink)
    Newsday video report about the opening of[url='http://www.newsday.com/services/newspaper/printedition/tuesday/partii/ny-exmain5763236jul15,0,1583140.story']Bobby Flay's Burger Palace[/url].

[url='http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/07/10/earlyshow/contributors/bobbyflay/main4247003.shtml?source=mostpop_story']CBS Early Show video and article[/url]

I'd eat at one if it was in town here, in a heartbeat.
    David_NYC
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2164
    RE: Bobby Flay's Burger Palace(s) 2008/07/19 15:01:16 (permalink)
    After looking at the links that MiamiDon supplied, it looks like this concept is being fine tuned to permit franchising. I'll probably visit the one on Long Island this week. I couldn't find any franchising offers, so this one is probably a corporate location. Hopefully, Flay and his business partners will keep an eye on this one to insure the fries are not greasy and the cooks know how to properly cook a burger. Flay says in one of the videos that the Suffolk County Health Department requires the burgers to be cooked to an internal temperature of 158 degrees Farenheit. But, I found this relevant paragraph in the Suffolk County health code:
    "All parts of ground meat or food containing ground meat are to be heated to at least 158 degrees Fahrenheit (70 degrees Celsius), unless a consumer requests preparation of a single order of ground meat or food containing ground meat which must be prepared at a temperature less than 158 degrees Fahrenheit in order to comply with the request, and the advisory requirements of 760-1333.9 are met."
    Part of 760-1333.9 is:
    "9. When food of animal origin is served raw or not cooked to temperatures prescribed by this Article, the consumer is to be notified by brochures, deli case or menu advisories, label statements, table tents, placards, or other effective written means of the significantly increased risk associated with certain especially vulnerable consumers eating such foods in raw or undercooked form............"

I have noticed that people are getting fed up hearing about celebrities opening restaurants. Chefs made famous by virtue of their television fame are a special breed unto themselves. Only time will tell if the prototype is successful and how tightly quality control will be maintained if and when the brand becomes franchised.
    baileysoriginal
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 758
    RE: Bobby Flay's Burger Palace(s) 2008/07/19 17:25:56 (permalink)
    I'm really surprised his burgers are cooked on a regular grill instead of a char grill.
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: Bobby Flay's Burger Palace(s) 2008/07/20 02:00:59 (permalink)
    If you are going to cook medium and well, why not a griddle. For many, many years chefs in this country made little and had even less respect. Boy, has that changed. I wish Bobby Flay the best.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Bobby Flay's Burger Palace(s) 2008/07/21 16:18:46 (permalink)
    Personally, I like Bobby Flay and I will make it a point to be in Long Island ASAP.

He really enjoys a good burger and it will be interesting to see how he does.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    David_NYC
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2164
    RE: Bobby Flay's Burger Palace(s) 2008/07/27 13:26:59 (permalink)
    I went to Bobby's Burger Palace yesterday at the Smith Haven Mall and enjoyed my meal. I had their "Dallas Burger' which the printed menu you can take with you says is spice crusted and comes with cole slaw, Monterey Jack cheese, BBQ sauce, and pickles. For a side I ordered french fries and iced tea for a beverage. While they serve a classic cheeseburger with American Cheese, lettuce, tomato and red onions the draw here is the interesting pairing of toppings. Besides the locally familiar toppings you see listed such as bacon, the usual cheeses, lettuce, tomato, mustard there is also water cress, blue cheese dressing, cole slaw, hot peppers, blue corn chips, goat cheese, avocado relish, etc. They do not let you offer to have your burger way "your way", however. These are ingredients found in the various burgers named after geographical areas of the country.

There was no sign advising undercooked food presents a health risk. Nor did the cashier ask how I wanted my burger ($7.50) cooked. So, the burger had just the faintest tinge of pink in the center and probably hit the locally mandated temperature of 158 degrees. However, it was juicy and flavorful. The burger is served on a toasted soft potato roll, either a Martin's or one similar to it. The burger was not very large and hard to tell exactly how large it was because the cheese is well melted all over the meat. It was probably only 1/4 lb to 1/3 pound after cooking. There are a variety of sauces for the burgers, such as a brown sauce, spicy jalapeno, mustard, and ketchup. The iced tea ($2) was brewed fresh from scratch and refills were free as are free refills on fountain sodas. The fries ($2.50) were frozen crinkle fries and came with a 'fry sauce' that had several types of peppers and some spices in it. While they were perfectly fried and not greasy, the fries in the top of the cup they came in were not warm. This is because they let them sit in an opening in the wall between the kitchen and dining room and it acts as a breezeway.

I suspect they are still experimenting with the concept at this point. The web site gives no details about the restaurant and the menu on the wall was printed on poster boards. No great financial loss if they put up new menu boards next week. Also, no where is the Flay surname to be seen. I got there about 4:30 PM and had to wait 10 minutes to order but when I left there was a line out the door waiting to get in. Not all of the people looked like they were shopping at the mall, either. They probably saw the article in Newsday or the piece on the CBS Early show. However, what Bobby Flay showed on the TV show and the accompanying recipes is not exactly what you get in the restaurant. The video on the Newsday site shows what you get in the restaurant.
    octopus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 264
    RE: Bobby Flay's Burger Palace(s) 2008/07/27 22:10:22 (permalink)
    I like Bobby ok, I went to Mesa Grill at Cesears in Vegas it was very good. I'de try out his burger place.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1