Bobcat Bite/Santa Fe, NM

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10481
2009/06/17 14:55:19 (permalink)

Bobcat Bite/Santa Fe, NM

In 2004, my cousin Johnny and I vacationed in the Four Corners area.  We did spend a day in Santa Fe, NM eating our way around the city.  Our favorite thing in Santa Fe and on the entire trip was the Green Chile Cheeseburgers at Bobcat Bite.  We enjoyed it so much, we both had put Bobcat Bite in our respective Roadfood Top Ten lists.

Last week, we were again vacationing in New Mexico, with our return to Bobcat Bite being eagerly anticipated.  Could the GCC possibly live up to our expectations and the myths our memories had created?

We arrived last Wednesday around 3:00PM.  The place still looked great on the outside

and a fair amount of cars were in the parking lot.  We figured we would most likely have to wait for a table.  But the people waiting were all parts of larger parties, so we grabbed the two open seats at the end of the counter.  A woman, who I recognized as owner Bonnie Eckre, warmly greeted us and gave us menus.  No surprise, that they have bobcats on the front.

We did look over the menu, but there was never any doubt about what we would be ordering.  Here is the burger section of the menu.

In our previous visit, I don't remember trying any of the sides.  This time, Johnny got an order of the cole slaw. 

The cabbage was chopped fine and it had a nice vinegary, peppery taste.  Johnny said it reminded him of the Amish pepper slaw he buys at the PA Dutch Market in Annapolis, which is reviewed here on Roadfood.

The GCCs took a while to be delivered to us.  This is not fast food.  When they were sat down in front of us, I asked Bonnie to take our photo.

We look like two guys who are ready to take care of business!  Here is what the burger looks like when it is delivered. 

If you don't order a side, it comes with chips.  Underneath the bun is lettuce and tomato.  While I was taking my usual way too many photos, Johnny was already half way done with his burger, alternating between yummy noises and exclaiming how juicy it was.  So, I pressed down on the bun and you can see the juice dripping down the sides of the burger.

After the very first bite, beef juice started dripping down my arm.  Here is a rather poor photo of the bitten into burger.

What is kind of unusual about this GCC is that the green chile is applied directly on top of the burger and then the cheese on top of that.  The chile itself does not bring much heat and is rather mild.  But what it lacks in heat, it makes up for in powerful flavor.  Combine that with the high quality beef that is used here and you have a world class burger.  Johnny and I ordered our burgers medium and they had just the right amount of pink in the middle.

Both of us gushed how great our burgers were and we agreed we must come back later in the trip.  Since it was my turn to pay, I went up to the cash register with the bill.  The other waitress asked how our food was and I told her it so fantastic that were going to come back a couple of more times before our vacation was over.  She said if we were going to come back, she should know our names and introduced herself as Ashley.  I thought that was a very nice touch.

On Thursday, we spent the day riding the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, so it wasn't until late Friday afternoon that we made it back to Bobcat Bite.  Only this time, there was hardly any cars in the parking lot, which came as quite a surprise.  We settled on a table next to the counter in the left corner.  The attractive Ashley welcomed us back and was our waitress this time.  By now, I had picked up the 2002 copy of Roadfood they keep on the shelf and was perusing it.  We told her that we travel around, eating at places out of the book and this was our all-time favorite, and she seemed quite pleased at this.  We overheard her give our order to the owner John Eckre in the kitchen, along with what we had said and we could overhear him in the kitchen, sarcastically exclaim, "Well that's no pressure"! 

This time, we tried a couple more sides.  The beans in a skillet

were more typical baked beans than the pinto beans we had mostly seen on the trip.  They were sweet and had plenty of bacon it.  Excellent!  These are only available in the summer.  The potato salad (sorry, the pics didn't turn out) had pickel, celery and plenty of egg and was both sweet and tart.  Johnny really liked it.  And the burgers, which came out faster, since there was less of a crowd, were just as amazing.  Here is another shot of the juicy burger.

This place never stays empty long and before we left, the place was filled,

with lots of people again waiting outside.

We had hopes of coming back on Saturday.  The decision to share a GCC and try a steak this time was already made.  But we ended up spending more time at Bandelier National Monument than expected and we didn't make it back.  At least we got there twice.

Both Johnny and I easily agree, this is the #1 Roadfood place we have ever visited.

Here is their website:   http://www.bobcatbite.com/

The Roadfood review:   http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Review/1385-1385/bobcat-bite

A video from George Motz Hamburger America film:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD2cI1i2vqQ
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/06/17 15:07:14

56 Replies Related Threads

Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6411
    Re:Bobcat Bite/Santa Fe, NM 2009/06/17 15:13:24 (permalink)
    Very impressive, Cliff. I take it if this is the number one roadfood place ever then this would have to be the number one burger too? The photos certainly give merit to that.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Bobcat Bite/Santa Fe, NM 2009/06/17 15:22:58 (permalink)
    Thanks Davydd.  What surprises me about saying this is my #1 place is that I am not a burger guy.  I rarely order them outside of a Roadfood place.  But there is just something about Green Chile Cheeseburgers, especially at the Bobcat Bite.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4564
    Re:Bobcat Bite/Santa Fe, NM 2009/06/17 20:05:54 (permalink)
    buffetbuster, Them is some pretty strong words.  If this is your #1, I gotta get there.  Great pics and write-up!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    Re:Bobcat Bite/Santa Fe, NM 2009/06/17 20:16:56 (permalink)
    Cliff, thanks for torturing me...

I really appreciate it. I'll trade ya some soy milk and cocoa dusted almonds for one (bobcat)  bite of that burger!
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Bobcat Bite/Santa Fe, NM 2009/06/17 20:48:36 (permalink)
    Cliff, I've never tasted a burger garnished with green chiles, but after seeing your photos, I sure do want to. It's times like this that I really regret being so terrified of flying ( one of those "not for any amount of money" things for me. ) I'm reasonably sure that I'll never have either the money or the stamina to drive all the way to New Mexico, so I guess that I'm gonna have to continue to live a deprived life ( does Bobcat Bite deliver??? ) 
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    Re:Bobcat Bite/Santa Fe, NM 2009/06/17 20:55:48 (permalink)
    Bob, I guess you missed it in the Twin Cities. The newly opened Burger Jones in Minneapolis is serving a green chili cheeseburger topped with an onion ring. I suspect since Burger Jones is a new concept burger place by restaurant developers, Parasole Restaurant Holdings, that they probably got their inspiration directly from Bobcat Bites.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    Re:Bobcat Bite/Santa Fe, NM 2009/06/17 21:33:48 (permalink)
    Always wanted to see a pic of the famed BOBCAT burger! 
    It's on my "to do" burger list!
    Nice report, as always!
    tommyeats
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 277
    Re:Bobcat Bite/Santa Fe, NM 2009/06/17 22:02:36 (permalink)
    there are some pics of the burger  here if anyone is interested.

for some reason, the ones i had looked bigger!  i hope they haven't made them smaller since my visit a few years ago.

it remains one of the best burgers i've ever eaten, and has been an inspiration on many levels to my cooking of hamburgers at home. a roadfood treasure, to my mind.
    post edited by tommyeats - 2009/06/17 22:04:02
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    Re:Bobcat Bite/Santa Fe, NM 2009/06/17 22:17:00 (permalink)
    tommyeats

there are some pics of the burger  here if anyone is interested.

I'm INTERESTED!  Thanks Tommyeats!  You're my IDOL !
    Any pics of you on your website or anywhere?   How about joining us Roadfood.com'ers for a hot dog tour sometime? (I don't think you've been yet; correct?)
    I wanna see just who this TOMMYEATS really is,  "LIVE"...

Your website,  plus the "pigtrip.net" one, plus Hollyeats.com are my favorites!
    and if both YOU and BUFFETBUSTER say that the Bobcat burger is your favorite, I've GOTTA get to that Bobcat!

ellen in AC area..

p.s.  Appreciate the BEEF RIB write up you did on May 24th.... I just saw it when I looked at the Bobcat bite burger.   I know what you mean, as I'm often finding that the beef ribs they have in the supermarkets (Pathmark and Genuardi's, etc) are usually trimmed a little too thin...  wheres the beef ???

The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3764
    Re:Bobcat Bite/Santa Fe, NM 2009/06/18 01:20:25 (permalink)
    Buffetbuster - I am glad to see that you made it to Bobcat Bite.  I wasn't sure if you were aware that they offer one of the best burgers around.  I know most people don't know about this place - and I really hoped that you would discover it on this trip.
    douginvirginia
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    Re:Bobcat Bite/Santa Fe, NM 2009/06/18 07:21:21 (permalink)
    Bobcat Bite has always been on my "lifetime to eat" list. I think it just got moved up several slots.

Thanks for another great report and juicy pics.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Bobcat Bite/Santa Fe, NM 2009/06/18 07:52:15 (permalink)
    Good photos of an awesome-looking burger, buffetbuster.  Do you know what kind of cheese it has on it?
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5210
    Re:Bobcat Bite/Santa Fe, NM 2009/06/18 10:53:31 (permalink)
    And what kind of chiles are under the cheese?

Brad
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8656
    Re:Bobcat Bite/Santa Fe, NM 2009/06/18 10:56:14 (permalink)
    Green chiles...
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Bobcat Bite/Santa Fe, NM 2009/06/18 11:03:00 (permalink)
    Roasted green chiles, perhaps Hatch?
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    Re:Bobcat Bite/Santa Fe, NM 2009/06/18 11:30:18 (permalink)
    BB - It's the best.  I have never had a better burger.  Thanks for the pictures.  Lucky you!  

We sat at the counter, too.  I had the seat closest to the kitchen and watched those burgers! My wife had their chicken sandwich..What a waste.  Hey, she doesn't eat red meat. 

I planned our trip literally to get to this place.  But, you're going to have some fantastic other food in Sante Fe...Great food town!  Amazing art, too.

Why more Top 10 lists don't include BobCat Bite..I have no idea. 

If you go on yelp.com you can read a lot of 2009 reviews from diners.  Pretty amazing.   

Did you guys stop for pie on the way back up the road? Great pies!!! 
    post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/06/18 15:20:50
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3764
    Re:Bobcat Bite/Santa Fe, NM 2009/06/18 11:30:51 (permalink)
    Could you possibly describe the bun?  How does it compare to other burger buns you have had elsewhere?
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    Re:Bobcat Bite/Santa Fe, NM 2009/06/18 12:16:58 (permalink)
    OK, now the mystery. Why does the Food Network Magazine list Clancy's Irish Cantina in Farmington, NM green chile cheeseburger as the best in New Mexico in their 50 States, 50 Burgers list?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/50-states-50-burgers/package/index.html

Anyone compared them?
    tommyeats
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Bobcat Bite/Santa Fe, NM 2009/06/18 14:15:23 (permalink)
    Davydd

OK, now the mystery. Why does the Food Network Magazine list Clancy's Irish Cantina in Farmington, NM green chile cheeseburger as the best in New Mexico in their 50 States, 50 Burgers list?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/50-states-50-burgers/package/index.html

Anyone compared them?

that list doesn't suggest they are "the best", which is just as well, because assertions like that are hard to support.  it's refreshing to see another place get some attention.  surely NM has a few chile cheeseburgers worth trying.
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Bobcat Bite/Santa Fe, NM 2009/06/18 15:15:33 (permalink)
    Davydd - I have read several things about Clancy's and apparently it is really good.  

Yeah, maybe someone has been to both places.  That would be great!!

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Bobcat Bite/Santa Fe, NM 2009/06/19 07:53:26 (permalink)
    Unfortunately, I don't know what kind of cheese was on this burger.  And other than knowing it was green chile, I can't tell you more about the chiles.  Usually when we are eating together, Johnny and I deconstruct the food, but in this instance, we just sat there moaning and making yummy noises.
    tommyeats
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Bobcat Bite/Santa Fe, NM 2009/06/19 09:02:24 (permalink)
    It is almost definitely Hatch, given this is New Mexico.  You can't duplicate the stuff without Hatch, which are very hard to find outside of that area, but you can make pretty damned good green chile with roasted poblanos.  The cheese was very mild, as I recall.  
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:Bobcat Bite/Santa Fe, NM 2009/06/20 00:27:53 (permalink)
    Another place i must try.
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Bobcat Bite/Santa Fe, NM 2009/06/23 03:30:40 (permalink)
    Hatch, NM.  "The term Hatch Chili refers to any number of chilis grown in this area and not one specific chili"  
    according to a yahoo.com search

"Hatch - The Chili Capital of the World." Yahoo.com They have a website.  Just search Hatch Chilis.  Explains their festival, etc. 

Extreme Glow
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 717
    Re:Bobcat Bite/Santa Fe, NM 2009/06/23 18:02:56 (permalink)
    Thanks for the report and photos.  

I stopped at BB back in February and had a great burger (my second visit).  Will visit again...
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Bobcat Bite/Santa Fe, NM 2010/08/03 13:27:15 (permalink)
    On his blog, George Motz returned to Bobcat Bite and reported some changes, including bigger patties, new bun and the availability of a bacon green chile cheeseburger.  Some of this has me worried, as in why mess with perfection.  But, I trust John and Bonnie Eckre.

http://hamburgeramerica.blogspot.com/2010/07/changes-at-bobcat-bite.html

I will be able to see for myself in a little more than a month.  It can't come soon enough!
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3010
    Re:Bobcat Bite/Santa Fe, NM 2010/08/03 18:16:08 (permalink)
    Looks mighty fine!  I may be interested...
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:Bobcat Bite/Santa Fe, NM 2010/08/17 19:44:11 (permalink)
    I'm guessin that yummy lookin cheese is Monterrey Jack but I'm not sure. Anyone know?
    Joe
    carollwdls
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 86
    Re:Bobcat Bite/Santa Fe, NM 2010/08/20 21:51:24 (permalink)

PapaJoe, You asked, so I did as well... I emailed the Bobcat Bite folks & they responded. See below:

"Greetings!
    The Roadfood.com people are all excited about trying the famous Bob Cat Bite GCC on their trip to NM next month. Several have clamored  to find out what kind of cheese y'all use on the burgers. I thought  I would just cut to the chase & inquire directly. :) Thanks for your time!
    Sincerely,
    Carol"

"Hi Carol,
    We use a swiss/american blend cheese. 
    Thank you for your EMail.
    Bobcat Staff"

OK, so I overstated it a teensy bit about how many people wanted to know. But now we all do! 
    CiaoMeOwwww! 
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1