Bob's Garage, Pittsburgh PA

Author
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 892
2010/01/12 16:39:46 (permalink)

Bob's Garage, Pittsburgh PA

On December 27, icecreamchick and I ventured out to visit Bob's Garage, which we'd read about in the Pittsburgh-local book Places We Like To Eat n'At.

Basic information:
(412) 963-9552
1372 Freeport Rd  Blawnox, PA

I'm not sure of the hours, but I'd expect them to be mostly an evening place (though they do advertise Sunday brunch).

The food was the least interesting part of the meal. It was mostly just bar food, with a fairly small menu. Both of us had the Turkey Devonshire. It was a good Turkey Devonshire, with crisp bacon and a good cheese sauce. Unfortunately, it was a bit too spicy for Lori's spice-fearing palate.

The real reason to go to Bob's, though, is the decor--particularly during winter. From the day after Thanksgiving to the end of February, Bob's is festooned with an incredible eye-popping collection of Christmas lights and decorations. This is a place where you could wear a gaudy Christmas sweater with blinking LED lights and call it "camouflage". I deliberately talked about the food first, because it'll be hard to pay attention to text once this post includes pictures of the decor:

The outside:

The entrance on the side:

Inside, showing the walls:

The bar and its ceiling:

Clearly, my iPhone camera was overwhelmed by all the lights:

Posters at the entrance mention that it takes 250 person-hours to put up all the lights, and advertise the massive Toys for Tots drive that they do every year, with gift-wrapping parties, writing letters from Santa, and other such charitable festivities. I'd be happy to go to such a party.

One note: Bob's does allow smoking, which was a down note for me.

1 Reply Related Threads

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10205
    Re:Bob's Garage, Pittsburgh PA 2010/01/12 16:49:20 (permalink)
    Nice!  I've been curious about this place ever since reading about it in the same book and haven't made it here yet.  Glad to hear the Turkey Devonshires were good, but I'm surprised that it was too spicy.  That decor looks bizarre.  Thanks for the report!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1