The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Boiled Toast

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 47
Author Message
Sasaku

  • Total Posts: 63
  • Joined: 8/21/2004
  • Location: Savage, MN
Boiled Toast Sat, 09/18/04 10:45 AM (permalink)
Has anyone here tried it? I heard about it in a book and thought why not, but after I tried it I was unbiased towards it or just normal toast.
 
#1
    jeepguy

    • Total Posts: 1555
    • Joined: 3/29/2004
    • Location: chicago, IL
    RE: Boiled Toast Sat, 09/18/04 11:05 AM (permalink)
    What????
     
    #2
      Sundancer7

      RE: Boiled Toast Sat, 09/18/04 2:38 PM (permalink)
      The sundancer is also confused. What is it?

      Paul E. Smith
      Knoxville, TN
       
      #3
        chezkatie

        • Total Posts: 1329
        • Joined: 6/24/2001
        • Location: Baltimore and Florida,
        RE: Boiled Toast Sat, 09/18/04 4:22 PM (permalink)
        HELLO!!!
        Does this person mean broiled toast?
         
        #4
          Poverty Pete

          • Total Posts: 2266
          • Joined: 8/16/2003
          • Location: Nashville, TN
          RE: Boiled Toast Sat, 09/18/04 4:41 PM (permalink)
          In the spirit of adventure, I boiled some toast this morning. I had to use a strainer to get it out of the pot, and it tore when I tried to put jam on it. Where did I go wrong?
           
          #5
            chezkatie

            • Total Posts: 1329
            • Joined: 6/24/2001
            • Location: Baltimore and Florida,
            RE: Boiled Toast Sat, 09/18/04 4:49 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Poverty Pete

            In the spirit of adventure, I boiled some toast this morning. I had to use a strainer to get it out of the pot, and it tore when I tried to put jam on it. Where did I go wrong?


            You must have boiled it in water...........you must use milk
             
            #6
              mayor al

              • Total Posts: 15073
              • Joined: 8/20/2002
              • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
              • Roadfood Insider
              RE: Boiled Toast Sat, 09/18/04 5:23 PM (permalink)
              this has got to be a scam.
               
              #7
                Jennifer_4

                • Total Posts: 1508
                • Joined: 9/19/2000
                • Location: Fresno, CA
                RE: Boiled Toast Sat, 09/18/04 5:27 PM (permalink)
                maybe it has the consistency of hot cereal?.. I'll bet if you added enough rum it would be swell :)
                 
                #8
                  Sundancer7

                  RE: Boiled Toast Sat, 09/18/04 5:28 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

                  this has got to be a scam.


                  Mr. Mayor, I doubt it. My wife has tried it several times. Doesn't seem to work though.

                  Paul E. Smith
                  Knoxville, TN
                   
                  #9
                    Bushie

                    • Total Posts: 2902
                    • Joined: 4/21/2001
                    • Location: Round Rock, TX
                    RE: Boiled Toast Sat, 09/18/04 9:29 PM (permalink)
                    I like to TOAST my toast before I boil it, but that's just my preference. That's probably a Texas thing.

                    BTW, Sundance, I used to think that Missouri Fried Grease was better than Tennessee Fried Grease, but after MUCH experimenting, I'm convinced that TEXAS FRIED GREASE is the best of all.
                     
                    #10
                      lleechef

                      • Total Posts: 6256
                      • Joined: 3/22/2003
                      • Location: Gahanna, OH
                      RE: Boiled Toast Sun, 09/19/04 3:24 AM (permalink)
                      Bushie..........geeze, you folks in Texas can't boil toast??? You CANNOT toast it first......just stick it in the boiling water, wait 30 mins and come back. Boiled toast! Pour on the butter and jam........hey, this sounds like grits!
                      On a serious note, first, what is Fried Grease. Secondly, what is Missouri Fried Grease opposed to Tennessee Fried Grease, and after MUCH experimenting (I believe you, Bushie) what is TEXAS FRIED GREASE?????
                       
                      #11
                        Sasaku

                        • Total Posts: 63
                        • Joined: 8/21/2004
                        • Location: Savage, MN
                        RE: Boiled Toast Sun, 09/19/04 11:01 AM (permalink)
                        Your supposed to toast the bread before you boil it, all the times I did it it never fell apart. It comes out as a spongy piece of toasty bread very unique. I have never even heard about this befoer but I was reading a book set around the time of the civil war and I saw it in there.
                         
                        #12
                          Bushie

                          • Total Posts: 2902
                          • Joined: 4/21/2001
                          • Location: Round Rock, TX
                          RE: Boiled Toast Sun, 09/19/04 12:05 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by lleechef

                          Bushie..........geeze, you folks in Texas can't boil toast??? You CANNOT toast it first......just stick it in the boiling water, wait 30 mins and come back. Boiled toast! Pour on the butter and jam........hey, this sounds like grits!
                          On a serious note, first, what is Fried Grease. Secondly, what is Missouri Fried Grease opposed to Tennessee Fried Grease, and after MUCH experimenting (I believe you, Bushie) what is TEXAS FRIED GREASE?????

                          lleechef, the "fried grease" thing is just another shot at the Sundancer. He made a mistake on a post one night and referred to his Tennessee fried grease (he meant "cornbread"). I countered that Missouri fried grease was better, and a running joke was born.

                          Fried grease sounds about as appetizing as boiled toast.
                           
                          #13
                            Scarlett

                            • Total Posts: 402
                            • Joined: 9/20/2003
                            • Location: Albemarle, NC
                            RE: Boiled Toast Sun, 09/19/04 2:38 PM (permalink)
                            I believe the Civil War soldiers carried hardtack with them for nourishment. It probably would need to be soaked or boiled before consumption.
                             
                            #14
                              Donna Douglass

                              • Total Posts: 508
                              • Joined: 8/22/2000
                              • Location: Columbus, OH
                              RE: Boiled Toast Sun, 09/19/04 4:35 PM (permalink)
                              I don't know if this is the same thing, but when we were little and got sick, Mom would make toast and then pour milk on it for us but she called it "milk toast." It was one of those old fashioned remedies for what ailed us, I guess. But it sounds as if it might qualify as "boiled toast." Just a thought.

                              Donna
                               
                              #15
                                Cakes

                                • Total Posts: 562
                                • Joined: 9/11/2003
                                • Location: Sarasota, FL
                                RE: Boiled Toast Sun, 09/19/04 5:49 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Donna Douglass

                                I don't know if this is the same thing, but when we were little and got sick, Mom would make toast and then pour milk on it for us but she called it "milk toast." It was one of those old fashioned remedies for what ailed us, I guess. But it sounds as if it might qualify as "boiled toast." Just a thought.

                                Donna


                                Donna,

                                I think you are correct. My mother has milk toast once in a while. Buttered toast, hot milk, and salt and pepper. I'd ask her but she doesn't do email and is in somewhat of a crisis at the moment.

                                Cakes
                                 
                                #16
                                  jeepguy

                                  • Total Posts: 1555
                                  • Joined: 3/29/2004
                                  • Location: chicago, IL
                                  RE: Boiled Toast Sun, 09/19/04 7:55 PM (permalink)
                                  I think i'm getting sick...
                                   
                                  #17
                                    harriet1954

                                    • Total Posts: 1088
                                    • Joined: 3/29/2003
                                    • Location: Edgewater Park, NJ
                                    RE: Boiled Toast Sun, 09/19/04 7:55 PM (permalink)
                                    I'd like to see a recipe for this. I'm not saying I'd make it...I'd just like to see the recipe.
                                     
                                    #18
                                      Sundancer7

                                      RE: Boiled Toast Sun, 09/19/04 8:44 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by Bushie

                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by lleechef

                                      Bushie..........geeze, you folks in Texas can't boil toast??? You CANNOT toast it first......just stick it in the boiling water, wait 30 mins and come back. Boiled toast! Pour on the butter and jam........hey, this sounds like grits!
                                      On a serious note, first, what is Fried Grease. Secondly, what is Missouri Fried Grease opposed to Tennessee Fried Grease, and after MUCH experimenting (I believe you, Bushie) what is TEXAS FRIED GREASE?????

                                      lleechef, the "fried grease" thing is just another shot at the Sundancer. He made a mistake on a post one night and referred to his Tennessee fried grease (he meant "cornbread"). I countered that Missouri fried grease was better, and a running joke was born.

                                      Fried grease sounds about as appetizing as boiled toast.


                                      Bushie: you think I made a mistake about Tennessee Fried Grease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                      I do not think so. To do Tennessee Fried Corn Bread, You gotta do Tennessee Fried Grease. You got to get it going in the oven before you put the cornbread in. Most folks from Tennessee know that before you put the cornbread in the oven, you got to have the cast iron pan preheated at at least 425F and preferably at 450F. It literally fries in the pan and comes out with a crust that is great..

                                      Tennessee fried Corn bread is the best in the world. Just add corn, jalapeno's and bacon grease.

                                      Thanks Bushie,

                                      Paul E. Smith
                                      Knoxville, TN
                                       
                                      #19
                                        i95

                                        • Total Posts: 2500
                                        • Joined: 7/14/2003
                                        • Location: Sin City, VA
                                        RE: Boiled Toast Mon, 09/20/04 2:24 PM (permalink)
                                        This all sounds Scottish to me.
                                         
                                        #20
                                          Lone Star

                                          • Total Posts: 1730
                                          • Joined: 5/22/2003
                                          • Location: Houston, TX
                                          RE: Boiled Toast Mon, 09/20/04 4:41 PM (permalink)
                                          Isn't it the same thing as milk toast - what was fed to invalids?

                                          Not to be confused with I-95- milquetoast.
                                           
                                          #21
                                            i95

                                            • Total Posts: 2500
                                            • Joined: 7/14/2003
                                            • Location: Sin City, VA
                                            RE: Boiled Toast Mon, 09/20/04 4:58 PM (permalink)
                                            Milquetoast
                                            Rules !!

                                             
                                            #22
                                              speechpeach

                                              • Total Posts: 239
                                              • Joined: 6/11/2004
                                              • Location: Dalton, GA
                                              RE: Boiled Toast Mon, 09/20/04 6:15 PM (permalink)
                                              I thought milquetoast was when someone was boring and wimpy. I made some S.O.S. for dinner using the 2 for 1.00 beef, and it was right fine.
                                               
                                              #23
                                                redtressed

                                                • Total Posts: 1017
                                                • Joined: 5/10/2001
                                                • Location: Morgantown, WV
                                                RE: Boiled Toast Mon, 09/20/04 7:18 PM (permalink)
                                                I think it's probably milk toast , when done "the old -fashioned way" is not much different than say country or sawmill gravy and bread. Firstly...take a thick piece of dense bread or an European peasant type bread (that doesn't mush up easily) Butter lightly and broil until slightly golden. Pour whole milk or half and half..or cream if you're really fortunate over the broiled, buttered, bread(and say that three times fast), the milk should just slightly pool around the edges of the bread. Sprinkle kosher salt and some black pepper over top and place under broiler until golden. The end result should be hunk of soft, but not slimy bread, coated with a slightly crisp, buttery top and a gravy like undercoating....quite delicious and not your what is thought as normal, milk toast. (The Kosher salt is integral as is whole milk or cream for the crusty top, table salt, 2 percent or skim milk just won't cut it)
                                                 
                                                #24
                                                  i95

                                                  • Total Posts: 2500
                                                  • Joined: 7/14/2003
                                                  • Location: Sin City, VA
                                                  RE: Boiled Toast Tue, 09/21/04 7:49 PM (permalink)
                                                  Look at the big brain on redtressed.
                                                   
                                                  #25
                                                    redtressed

                                                    • Total Posts: 1017
                                                    • Joined: 5/10/2001
                                                    • Location: Morgantown, WV
                                                    RE: Boiled Toast Tue, 09/21/04 8:09 PM (permalink)
                                                    uhmmm...nope..just can't say it here.........never mind
                                                     
                                                    #26
                                                      Art Deco

                                                      • Total Posts: 890
                                                      • Joined: 6/12/2002
                                                      • Location: Nashville, TN
                                                      RE: Boiled Toast Wed, 09/22/04 10:26 AM (permalink)
                                                      May I have a bite of your tasty milquetoast?
                                                       
                                                      #27
                                                        renfrew

                                                        • Total Posts: 696
                                                        • Joined: 4/29/2003
                                                        • Location: Providence, RI
                                                        RE: Boiled Toast Wed, 09/22/04 10:42 AM (permalink)
                                                        Sundancer -

                                                        Do you have a recipe for the cornbread prepared that way? I am looking for a good one that uses no white flour as my wife has a gluten intolerance.

                                                        Most cornbread up north her in boston is cakey, sweet and has just as much wheat flour as cornmeal.

                                                        Recommendations on type of cornmeal would be appreciated as well.

                                                        Thanks!
                                                         
                                                        #28
                                                          redtressed

                                                          • Total Posts: 1017
                                                          • Joined: 5/10/2001
                                                          • Location: Morgantown, WV
                                                          RE: Boiled Toast Wed, 09/22/04 11:28 AM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          pogophiles
                                                          Double Cheeseburger



                                                          687 Posts
                                                          Posted - 09/22/2004 : 10:26:19
                                                          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                          May I have a bite of your tasty milquetoast?


                                                          Mine? or I-95's? A lot of relevancy whether you may or not, depends on your answer....
                                                           
                                                          #29
                                                            Sundancer7

                                                            RE: Boiled Toast Wed, 09/22/04 1:13 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by renfrew

                                                            Sundancer -

                                                            Do you have a recipe for the cornbread prepared that way? I am looking for a good one that uses no white flour as my wife has a gluten intolerance.

                                                            Most cornbread up north her in boston is cakey, sweet and has just as much wheat flour as cornmeal.

                                                            Recommendations on type of cornmeal would be appreciated as well.

                                                            Thanks!




                                                            The Sundancer uses Martha White self rising cornmeal mix but I guess you can use whatever is available. Some in Knoxville prefer White Lily.

                                                            Cornbread is a personal preference and it really depends on where you are from and what you are use to. Living in Knoxville in the Appalachian area lead me to depend on what I had been brought up on and to this day, it is what I prefer. You ask for what I liked and here it is.

                                                            Tennessee Fried Corn BreadL

                                                            1 Egg and beat the heck out of it
                                                            1 3/4 cups Buttermilk (real stuff)
                                                            1/4 cup Bacon Grease (oil will do if you ain't got)2 cups self rising corn meal
                                                            1 small can Mexican corn
                                                            1/2 sweet onions
                                                            1 diced Jalapeno
                                                            1 tablespoon Sugar

                                                            Mix all this tuff well

                                                            Heat your oven to 450 degrees F with your oil in a cast iron pan. When you realize it is preheated well, add your mixture. Most recipes indicate that 20-25 minutes is enough but that does not work for me as it takes at least 40 minutes for me to have the crust I want. I like it when it is extremely brown on top.

                                                            In my opinion, this is food within itself and many times I have enjoyed this with evening libation.

                                                            Respectfully Submitted

                                                            Paul E. Smith
                                                            Knoxville, TN
                                                             
                                                            #30
                                                              Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 47

                                                              Jump to:

                                                              Current active users

                                                              There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                                              Icon Legend and Permission

                                                              • New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

                                                              2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com