The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Bolivia & Holden Beach NC

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
Bolivia & Holden Beach NC Wed, 10/15/03 12:24 AM (permalink)
I will be in North Carolina visiting my Brother & Sister-in-law next week 10/23-10/27. Looking for some suggestions in the Bolivia & Holden Beach areas, will be spending most of my time on the coastal islands in that area. Might venture as far as Myrtle Beach and Wilmington.

redtressed

• Total Posts: 1017
    RE: Bolivia & Holden Beach NC Wed, 10/15/03 7:09 PM (permalink)
    Make sure to visit the town of Calabash which consists entirely of seafood restaraunts. Also..way back when and I don't know if it's still there......there was a place in the nearby Shallotte called Joe's BBQ.....located in a shopping plaza there along the main street of that town. Had some pretty darn good East Carolina bbq there. It's been 15 years since I've been there so don't know if it still stands or not.

Hillbilly

• Total Posts: 992
      RE: Bolivia & Holden Beach NC Fri, 10/17/03 12:35 PM (permalink)
      redtressed is right on the money. You will be within 25 miles of Calabash, aptly called "Seafood Capital of the World" . This tiny fishing village has about 20 out of this world seafood restaurants--and very few other businesses. Visitors to the Myrtle Beach area and to the Wilmington area beaches find their way there to make up overflow crowds just about any summer night. My favorite restaurants are the "Original Calabash", "Dockside", "Captain John's", "Coleman's" and "Captain Nance's". Which one I visit is usually determined by which one has the shortest wait. I have never been disappointed at any of the Calabash seafood restaurants. Restaurants from all over North Carolina will have "Calabash Style Shrimp" on their menu--and the Calabash lighthly breaded method of preparation is unique.
      Visit www.townofcalabashnc.com for seafood recipes and to get some history on the Calabash area.
      There are also several challenging golf courses in Calsbash and surrounding Brunswick County communities--and unequaled Carolina beaches and resort Islands.

familydok

• Total Posts: 231
        RE: Bolivia & Holden Beach NC Sat, 10/18/03 6:10 AM (permalink)
        YES, Calabash definitely! I grew up about 1-2 hrs. from there and have tried most of the restaurants. Any of those on the water and the road leading to it are good. Beck's was one of the originials-closed now, I think. I was at Capt. John's a few months ago and the hushpuppies were super.
        Skip those "all you can eat or buffets" on the main road-go toward the water where most of the original places are.
        Good eating-wish I was there.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com