Bologna/Baloney Restaurant in Central Illinois

Author
dabeedoo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2007/07/17 00:19:28 (permalink)

Bologna/Baloney Restaurant in Central Illinois

I saw a show that had a restaurant in Central Illinois that specialized in Bologna sandwiches. It was a couple of years ago and I forgot the name. I am going to Illinois in a couple of weeks and would like to find it. Thanks!

8 Replies Related Threads

Robearjr
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1102
    RE: Bologna/Baloney Restaurant in Central Illinois 2007/07/17 22:36:08 (permalink)
    I can tell you about Harmar Tavern in Marietta Ohio. They sell the "Sure to be Famous Bologna Sandwich". It is quite good. Thick slice of bologna is key.

The problem is this sandwich is in Ohio, so that is really not going to help you out.

ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Bologna/Baloney Restaurant in Central Illinois 2007/07/17 22:43:13 (permalink)
    Sure you don't mean this place in Ohio?
    The Bear

http://columbusoh.about.com/od/restaurants/a/grtavern.htm
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Bologna/Baloney Restaurant in Central Illinois 2007/07/18 00:24:00 (permalink)
    This may be really stretching it, but in 2001 a bar and grill in Decatur, IL, opened named Timbuktu that was reported in the Decatur Herald & Review to be offering fried bologna sandwiches ( http://www.herald-review.com/articles/2007/04/01/columnists/on_biz/doc460d11faef6bc492191781.txt ):

The Timbukto Bar & Grill opened recently at 5843 U.S. 36, near the Casey’s General Store, and gives patrons plenty to chew on with their refreshments. Menu options range from burgers, fries and chicken strips to more unusual fare such as fried bologna and fried egg sandwiches and hearty daily specials such as ham and beans and meatloaf, mashed potatoes and green beans.

"The atmosphere is also really, really cool inside," said manager Dane Conaway. "The theme is country, and it’s all wood and designed to look like a log cabin."

The building was custom-built for its purpose and is owned by Conaway’s parents, Frank and Charlene. "My dad’s been in construction for 35 years and owned his own business, but my parents always thought it would be awesome to own their own restaurant," Dane Conaway explained.

"My dad was like ‘Hey, I could build a pretty sweet place,’ and my mom wanted to do it and my sister was behind us, and we all just said ‘What the heck, let’s do it.’ "

Timbukto plans to have live entertainment on weekends and is open 11 to 2 a.m. daily, with food every day but Sunday. Call 864-2826.

But why "Timbukto?"

"My mom always liked that expression, ‘Where are you going?’ ‘Oh, I’m going to Timbuktu’, you know, just a kind of smart aleck thing," Conaway said. "She always thought it was just the greatest name and my dad said we’ll name the business that for you."
    dabeedoo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Bologna/Baloney Restaurant in Central Illinois 2007/07/18 01:35:43 (permalink)
    Great recommendations, but not the one I was looking for. Thanks for your recommendations!
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Bologna/Baloney Restaurant in Central Illinois 2007/07/18 11:01:09 (permalink)
    I'm pretty sure it was the G & R restaurant in Ohio that was in Food Network. I remember they had their own blend of bologna made for them that had G & R stamped on the casing. Can't remember which show it was on though.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18859
    RE: Bologna/Baloney Restaurant in Central Illinois 2007/07/18 11:27:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kland01s

I'm pretty sure it was the G & R restaurant in Ohio that was in Food Network. I remember they had their own blend of bologna made for them that had G & R stamped on the casing. Can't remember which show it was on though.

It was also featured several years ago on a CBS program. They do, indeed have their bologna custom made.
    soozycue520
    • Total Posts : 1032
    RE: Bologna/Baloney Restaurant in Central Illinois 2007/07/18 14:59:33 (permalink)
    G&R was on "Taste of America" on the Travel Channel.

I have been to the Harmar Tavern in Marietta and had their very fine bologna sandwich. It was served like a hamburger, a thick slice of grilled bologna on a bun with lettuce, tomato, onion, sweet pickles and "special sauce". GOOD STUFF!!!

I know, off-topic, no help with Central IL.
    Robearjr
    • Total Posts : 1102
    RE: Bologna/Baloney Restaurant in Central Illinois 2007/07/18 18:39:22 (permalink)
    There used to be a southern rock band called Night Train. They mostly played in West Virginia, Kentucky and Ohio. Anyway, they would would fry up bologna during set breaks and pass out free sandwiches. They would also having bobbin for pigs feat...but that is another story.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1