Bonefish/Carraba's

Author
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2330
2007/02/09 18:08:56 (permalink)

Bonefish/Carraba's

In the same spot where our Chi Chi's Restaurant used to be, is now a Carraba's on the one side & a Bonefish on the other.

Are they any good, either of them? What's the deal with them being in the same building? Anyone ever heard of that?

15 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18267
    RE: Bonefish/Carraba's 2007/02/09 18:37:03 (permalink)
    It sounds like co-branding. That's when two different companies get together, sometimes under one roof. An example of that would be White Castle with Church's Chicken.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Bonefish/Carraba's 2007/02/09 18:48:10 (permalink)
    I like Carraba's, never been to Bonefish; Wonder if they are owned by the same parent company?

John

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13476
    RE: Bonefish/Carraba's 2007/02/09 18:53:09 (permalink)
    Both are very very good as well as their owner, Outback. I have visited all resturants many many times and I have always enjoyed them menu.

Carrabas has great mussels with a garlic wine sauce that I enjoy along with their veal parma.

Bonefish has a number of choices of fish along with your choice of sauces. Very unusal.

Outback has great sides, steaks and believe it or not, I totally enjoy their fish and salad. They are known for their steak.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Tedbear
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: Bonefish/Carraba's 2007/02/09 18:53:33 (permalink)
    Actually, Carabba's and Bonefish are owned by the same corporate parent. That corporation (whose name escapes me currently) is also the parent of Outback Steakhouses, so they have clearly "covered the waterfront" with these three varieties of cuisine.

So, yes, these are chain operations, but I do perceive them as being a bit upscale in their approach. Carabba's is actually pretty good, in my experience (3 or 4 visits over a two year period). It is more expensive than other chain pseudo-Italian restaurants like Carino's, Macaroni Grill, or Bertucci's, but the food is definitely better than those other places. I would still prefer a good Mom & Pop Italian restaurant, but in a pinch, Carabba's is good.

I have tried Bonefish Grill, and I was underwhelmed. Nothing was bad, but nothing was outstanding either. And, since it appeared that they were unable to vary the menu offerings, I am tempted to think that their fish is prepacked/portion-controlled stuff. I could be wrong, but when you tell them that you don't want a certain fish with a certain sauce and you are told that this is not possible, it certainly sounds like pre-packed fare.

As to Outback, I have never eaten there. Since all of their locations near me have a waiting line of an hour to 1 1/2 hours on a typical night, I just bypass them. They may be good, but I seriously doubt if they are good enough to warrant that long a wait.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15183
    RE: Bonefish/Carraba's 2007/02/09 19:23:14 (permalink)

Tedbear,
    I would rate OUTBACK in the same group as Lone Star and the Roadhouses...Texas and Logan's. If you ever do decide to try it (on a non-crowded evening) I suggest the Coconut Shrimp Appetizer. We don't eat dinner there since they dropped the Rack of Lamb (excellent) from the menu, but we do enjoy a double order of the Coconut Shrimp with a tall frosty mug of the imitation Aussie Beer (Fosters). Usually we sit at the bar so as not to have to wait for a table. The shrimp (6 large ones to an order) go great with the frosty beer.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Bonefish/Carraba's 2007/02/09 19:37:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tedbear

Actually, Carabba's and Bonefish are owned by the same corporate parent. That corporation (whose name escapes me currently) is also the parent of Outback Steakhouses, so they have clearly "covered the waterfront" with these three varieties of cuisine.

So, yes, these are chain operations, but I do perceive them as being a bit upscale in their approach. Carabba's is actually pretty good, in my experience (3 or 4 visits over a two year period). It is more expensive than other chain pseudo-Italian restaurants like Carino's, Macaroni Grill, or Bertucci's, but the food is definitely better than those other places. I would still prefer a good Mom & Pop Italian restaurant, but in a pinch, Carabba's is good.

I have tried Bonefish Grill, and I was underwhelmed. Nothing was bad, but nothing was outstanding either. And, since it appeared that they were unable to vary the menu offerings, I am tempted to think that their fish is prepacked/portion-controlled stuff. I could be wrong, but when you tell them that you don't want a certain fish with a certain sauce and you are told that this is not possible, it certainly sounds like pre-packed fare.

As to Outback, I have never eaten there. Since all of their locations near me have a waiting line of an hour to 1 1/2 hours on a typical night, I just bypass them. They may be good, but I seriously doubt if they are good enough to warrant that long a wait.

Obviously not Darden's. They have enough crappy chains on their own.

http://www.darden.com/

I will research further.

Done. Here they are. Watch the scroll:

http://www.osirestaurantpartnersinc.com/
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4177
    RE: Bonefish/Carraba's 2007/02/09 19:55:40 (permalink)
    Can't speak to Bonefish, but as corporate chain restaurants go, Carraba's would be my first choice, assuming there were no other real "Roadfood" options.

Then again, depending on what those options were, I might still pick Carraba's first. Yes, they're that good.

Buddy
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2293
    RE: Bonefish/Carraba's 2007/02/09 20:01:46 (permalink)
    Before I was aware that Bonefish was a chain, I stopped by their tent at Taste of Nashville. I don't recall what they were serving, but I DO remember thinking it was the best tasting sample at the event. I've never been to the restaurant.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Bonefish/Carraba's 2007/02/09 20:39:30 (permalink)
    The biggest issue I have here is the friggin' pre-portioned-out servings. This would probably apply to most any chain but lets take Bonefish as an example. Since everything is NOT cut to order, then I wonder what they would say if I wanted, lets say, a 10 oz. filet of (any fish, etc.) What would they do? Why is a pre-portioned slice of frozen (yet VERY fresh fish) manditory? Good heavens. What would they say if I requested a whole filet of salmon (and if price were not an object, etc.?) I am most likely ranting now, but these pre-concieved illusions of what the "restaurant" seems appropriate as "serving sizes" for entrees is quite annoying to me. Alas, this is why I do not frequently visit such places.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15183
    RE: Bonefish/Carraba's 2007/02/09 21:26:38 (permalink)
    Joe,
    After discussing the 'custom cut' thing with the Manager of our Local 'Roadhouse' Steakhouse, he offered to cut steaks any size I wanted, if we would call him the day before we came in to 'order them'. They apparently cut meat over nite or in the morning for that day's kitchen service. So instead of the 12 oz or 16 oz menu Ribeye, if I want a 24 oz or even a 32 oz, I can call the day before...order one or two cut the size I want (in multiples of 12 or 16) and they will be ready for me to 'order'from the server when we come in the following day. I have only done that one time, when I wanted to really teach one of my sons a lesson on restaurant service. I had the 24oz and We got him a 32 oz Ribeye. The big one was $37.00 (dinner stuff included), but it was really a nice cut of steak.
    If you live near one of the steak chains that brags on cutting their own meat, you might inquire about 'custom cutting'. It worked (at least once) for me!!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Bonefish/Carraba's 2007/02/10 01:52:53 (permalink)
    I really like Carrabba's, but my only experience with Bonefish (north of Austin on I-35) was mediorce at best. I've subsequently told a number of people that it's not worth visiting.

Based on the experiences of people above who's opinion I respect, I guess I'll have to give Bonefish another try.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Bonefish/Carraba's 2007/02/10 11:57:34 (permalink)
    I'm still going to stick with my portion control issues. An 8 oz. filet of Mahi-Mahi (as an example) for anything more than 9-10 dollars just reinforces my views on corporate greed. I don't pay for atmosphere; I pay for good food.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    RE: Bonefish/Carraba's 2007/02/10 18:05:40 (permalink)
    I have to agree with you,Adjudicator-my favorite places are the ones that have been around for years,havent spent money on fancy renovating,and still sell wonderful food.And they are usually in what is considered the worst part of town(although were in desirable neighborhoods back in the day)
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Bonefish/Carraba's 2007/02/10 18:41:02 (permalink)
    We ate a Bonefish (the original on 4th St in St Pete)last week and it was pretty good- I'd go back, even if it is a fast expanding chain. We ate at Carrabas here in St Pete last winter and we thought it awful- we'll never go back. I had the rack of lamb ($21) at Outback early this weekand it was very good- my wife's steak was not so great- wierd looking cut of meat...

Cheers, John
    Suspended
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Bonefish/Carraba's 2007/02/10 19:33:38 (permalink)
    There is a Carraba's four blocks from my house. I enjoy their food, but it's not the type of place where I'll ever be their regular. I go maybe every four months, usually with my parents on a Sunday if they've stopped by the house. I think the calamari is good, the butter dipping sauce for the calamari is outstanding, and they do a decent job with a breast of chicken.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1