Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Bone-in Filet Mignon

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 48
Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9548
Bone-in Filet Mignon Tue, 06/24/08 11:27 AM (permalink)
Today's "Restaurant of the Day", Moishe's in Montreal, features a bone-in filet mignon. This is a candidate for "Dave Letterman's "Know your cuts of meat"!!! I've never seen or heard of a bone-in filet mignon either in a restaurant, meat market or supermarket. Is this cut something new or old? I can't even envision what one would look like. Has anyone else ever seen or heard of it? Tell me what you know about this animal!!

exsquidao

• Total Posts: 409
    RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon Tue, 06/24/08 11:55 AM (permalink)
    I agree FBM since to me the term "Filet Mignon" means the cut from the tenderloin and there's no bones there, maybe in Canada it's the same name but from a diffrent cut of meat?

Ahh now I see the error of my ways, this is the loin part of a T-bone or Porterhouse as opposed to the strip part.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
      RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon Tue, 06/24/08 12:16 PM (permalink)
      Here in Dallas, most all of the so called, "prime" upscale steakhouses serve a bone-in filet. Pricey, too!

C Turner Joy

• Total Posts: 159
        RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon Tue, 06/24/08 12:22 PM (permalink)
        I want to know how much it cost.

Foodbme

RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon Tue, 06/24/08 12:28 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by twinwillow

Here in Dallas, most all of the so called, "prime" upscale steakhouses serve a bone-in filet. Pricey, too!

I can imagine. You're not only paying for the filet, but also the bone weight!

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2015
            RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon Tue, 06/24/08 12:28 PM (permalink)
            I agree with you Foodbme. The filet mignon is the boneless cut from the smaller end of the tenderloin. As you know the large end of the tenderloin runs thru the T-bone and Porterhouse cuts of steaks too.

This looks more like the butcher's way to get $30 per lb plus for a cut of meat that would normally sell for less than half of that. Plus get $30 or more for the bone too.

buffetbuster

RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon Tue, 06/24/08 1:00 PM (permalink)
              My brother has had one at Jeff Ruby's in Cincy and loved it.

LindaW

• Total Posts: 338
                RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon Tue, 06/24/08 1:02 PM (permalink)
                Take a porterhouse.....remove the NY strip, leave the filet attached...and then hack off part of the bone....that will give you a bone in filet....it's becoming very trendy as the bone keeps the filet juicy....which due to the leanness of the filet...might be appreciated.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
                  RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon Tue, 06/24/08 1:17 PM (permalink)
                  At Bob's Chophouse in Dallas, I think they charge $49.00 for a 12oz. bone-in filet. On my last visit there, ( with Ellen) my 16oz. bone-in (prime) NY strip was $49.00.

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
                    RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon Tue, 06/24/08 4:23 PM (permalink)
                    I think I may need to get up to Montreal immediately!!!!

dannybotz

• Total Posts: 357
                      RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon Tue, 06/24/08 4:34 PM (permalink)
                      I second Jeff Ruby's my wife and I went to the PRECINCT and she had "jeff ruby's gem" 18 oz bone in filet!! it was the best cut of steak she's ever eaten bar none!!

jman

• Total Posts: 1276
                        RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon Tue, 06/24/08 4:42 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by dannybotz

...she had "jeff ruby's gem" 18 oz bone in filet!! it was the best cut of steak she's ever eaten bar none!!

I can't believe she hate the whole thing!

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                          RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon Tue, 06/24/08 4:42 PM (permalink)
                          That piece of meat, and everything that the Sterns enjoyed with it, looks fantastic.

ellen4641

RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon Thu, 06/26/08 9:26 AM (permalink)
                            Hey, how can I get back to that 'MOISHE'S" restaurant review? I never had a chance to read it.
                            And when I look for it under "search restaurants of the day", there are only US STATES listed!!!

All I was able to do was to go online to their steakhouse, and read their menu (or try to read their menu anyway; all that French style was hard to understand!)

buffetbuster

RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon Thu, 06/26/08 9:31 AM (permalink)
                              Under the heading states, look for International.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6226
                                RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon Thu, 06/26/08 1:05 PM (permalink)
                                I don't know that I would fall for this gimmick. A BONE in a filet mignon? Must be a rib bone. If I wanted that, I'd eat a porterhouse. Isn't that the whole point of getting a filet mignon (which I don't like because it's tender but tasteless)?

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17819
                                  RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon Thu, 06/26/08 1:30 PM (permalink)
                                  Finally some sanity!

ellen4641

RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon Thu, 06/26/08 7:25 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by lleechef

I don't know that I would fall for this gimmick. A BONE in a filet mignon? Must be a rib bone. If I wanted that, I'd eat a porterhouse. Isn't that the whole point of getting a filet mignon (which I don't like because it's tender but tasteless)?

You've got a good point..... cause that is the main reason I usually don't get the filet, cause I too, find it tender and tasteless.

So, initially, I got excited seeing this bone-in filet!
                                    I thought, finally, a filet with some taste from the bone!!!
                                    I was about to fall for this "gimmick" , as well..
                                    until YOU, lleechef , made me come to my senses!
                                    Minds' well just get the porterhouse, like you said!

I'll take the 32 ounce porterhouse, please...

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2015
                                      RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon Thu, 06/26/08 8:07 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by ellen4641

Hey! I had one of those. It was at the "Top of the Mart" in Springfield, Il in 1977. It was a great! I eat the whole thing, tator and salad. They served a great salad with just a dry crumbed bleu-cheese on top. I can't eat that much any more. OH! the price was only $10 then, without drinks.

Anyone know if this restaurant is still in business?

Foodbme

RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon Thu, 06/26/08 9:25 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by edwmax

quote:

Hey! I had one of those. It was at the "Top of the Mart" in Springfield, Il in 1977. It was a great! I eat the whole thing, tator and salad. They served a great salad with just a dry crumbed bleu-cheese on top. I can't eat that much any more. OH! the price was only $10 then, without drinks.

Anyone know if this restaurant is still in business?

Ah! The good old days, when men were men & women were women and gas was 29.9 cents!

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                          RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon Sun, 06/29/08 3:44 PM (permalink)
                                          I dont like filet mignon give me a good porterhouse or t-bone anyday, I love to ganw on the bone and suck the marrow out too.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                            RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon Sun, 06/29/08 3:47 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by buffetbuster

My brother has had one at Jeff Ruby's in Cincy and loved it.

I have never had one at Ruby's, but ANY steak os good at Ruby's. Dry aged, hand cut (drooling now)

I like the "Precinct" over "Jeff Ruby's" both are ruby places but the Precinct has better charm

MiamiDon

RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon Mon, 06/30/08 8:40 AM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by edwmax

quote:

That's $35.75 in inflation-adjusted dollars.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
                                                RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon Mon, 06/30/08 9:23 AM (permalink)
                                                The first "bone-in" cut (aside from Porterhouse) I ever saw was circa 1991 a bone-in rib-eye at The Red Sage in D.C. Delicious!

Now "bone-in" rib-eyes and filets are featured by all the "high end" steak joints here in Dallas. Sure, it's another way to squeeze a few more $$$ of profit by selling "sizzle" and extra weight. But, hey: IT'S AMERICA! Nothing wrong with informed, consensual transactions between consenting adults.

Robearjr

• Total Posts: 1102
                                                  RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon Tue, 07/1/08 6:11 PM (permalink)
                                                  I got a bone in filet mignon the other night....and the restaurant threw in a strip steak for free.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                                                    RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon Tue, 07/1/08 6:21 PM (permalink)
                                                    USDA Prime Dry-Aged Bone-In Filet Mignon
                                                    Although you don't see this cut very often, it's well on its way to becoming a new classic steak, judging from the way it is showing up on leading steakhouse menus and capturing the taste buds of in-the-know steak lovers.

What exactly is a bone-in filet? Aren’t filets always boneless, you may ask? Not anymore.

Cut a Porterhouse steak in half through the bone and you get a bone-in strip steak and a bone-in filet mignon—both USDA prime and dry-aged to perfection.

This is the quintessential cut for those who prefer the tenderness of a filet mignon, but yearn for the added flavor imparted by cooking with the bone intact.

http://www.lobels.com/store/main/item.asp?item=234

Works for me...Russ

ellen4641

• Location: Egg Harbor Township, NJ
                                                      RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon Tue, 07/1/08 9:52 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by MetroplexJim

Now "bone-in" rib-eyes and filets are featured by all the "high end" steak joints here in Dallas. Sure, it's another way to squeeze a few more $$$ of profit by selling "sizzle" and extra weight.

Good point, Metroplex Jim... as I was on the "bone-in" ribeye craze for awhile myself. However, lately, I'm finding myself defaulting more and more to my boneless NY Strip. There's often still some decent marbling with the NYC Strip, (inc. nice crusted edges), and it just feels like I'm getting a thicker, meatier piece.

(as much as I love gnawing on that bone, that bone "weight factor" DOES take up space) . That's why if I do still order a cut with the bone, I make sure it's a nice big size, like 28 ounces, or 32 ounces, so I don't feel the weight of the bone as much.

Foodbme

RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon Tue, 07/1/08 10:00 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by Robearjr

I got a bone in filet mignon the other night....and the restaurant threw in a strip steak for free.

You sneaky Devil, you! Let me guess----I'll bet they called it a Porterhouse!

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
                                                          • Location: Bergen County, NJ
                                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                                          RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon Tue, 07/1/08 11:17 PM (permalink)
                                                          One possibility: Is Moishe's of Montreal kosher? If it is, I believe (and I'm definitely not certain about this) that the cut of meat that we all call filet mignon cannot be served in a kosher restaurant due to it's location in the animal. Instead, they serve the eye of the rib steak as their "filet". In that case, it would be easy to serve it "bone in".

Can anyone confirm this?

Robearjr

• Total Posts: 1102
                                                            • Location: Baltimore, MD
                                                            RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon Wed, 07/2/08 9:54 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by Foodbme

quote:
                                                            Originally posted by Robearjr

You sneaky Devil, you! Let me guess----I'll bet they called it a Porterhouse!

Thank you...Thank you. I'll be here all week. Try the Veal.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 48

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com