The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Revised with results and pics

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 46 of 46
EdSails

• Total Posts: 3591
Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Mon, 04/4/11 6:59 PM (permalink)
OK, so here's how it went. I let the roast sit out for a while to moderate the temp from the fridge.

First step was making my rub. Into the spice blender went white peppercorns and black peppercorns. I pulsed it a few times and then added sea salt and garlic powder. A few more pulses and it was ready.

I liberally coated the entire roast with the rub. Next, I started on the herbs.
I thinly sliced the onions on the mandolin and sliced the garlic. The fresh rosemary and fresh thyme went on top, slipping the stems under the strings so it would stay in place. On top of that went the onions and garlic.

I then covered that with the New York cut fat and tied it all on with more string. Just to top it off, I applied a little more rub to the fat cap. I was a little tough to make the several of pieces stay on but extra pieces of string helped.

Using a boning knife, I made a slit to start the spit. I pushed the roast on, lined it up the the prongs and pushed it all the way on. I did the same with the other prong. Finally, I inserted the thermometer probe into the meat as far away from everything as I could.
Meanwhile. I had a load of hickory chips soaking. They went in a little foil package that went on an end burner.

The spit went on the grill.

I put a cookie sheet underneath as a drip pan for the fat. First I got the chips started with the left burner and then I lit the rear, IR rotisserie burner. The power switch went on and the roast started turning. Soon you could smell the hickory chips in the house. After a bit, I shut off the end burner and let the chips smolder away. I had “guesstimated” the time the roast would be on at 3 hours. The temp was set for 130 degrees. Personally, I prefer my meat rarer, but for the majority of the guests, medium was the way the liked it. Oh, what a sacrifice!

On to the next project. One of the guests is vegetarian, so I decided to stuff portabella mushrooms. I had two large caps for her, as well as a dozen “baby bellas” for everyone else. I chopped the stems, garlic and onion.

The onions and garlic went into the saute pan with a bit of olive oil and I cooked them until translucent. Next, The chopped mushroom stems went in, topped by a healthy dose of Herbes de Provence, some salt and some pepper. I sauteed everything until limp.

After the mixture cooled, I put it in a bowl, added some fresh grated breadcrumbs from a week-old loaf of French bread and a few ounces of shredded Parmesan. I mixed it all together, added some Gewurtztraminer to bind it and began to stuff the caps. Finally, I topped each cap with a little more parmesan and a shake of Hungarian half-sharp paprika. They went onto a tray lined with foil, ready for the grill after the meat came off.

In the meantime, I kept an eye on the thermometer. It hadn't changed from 42.9 degrees but I figured it would take some time to start going up. The smoke was over and the roast was starting to get a nice color.

I figured I better make sure all my ingredients were OK, so I poured myself a glass of the Curran 2007 Gewurtztraminer I had used for the 'shrooms. Nice crisp and dry, it tasted delicious.
During this time, guests arrived. I won't go into the details, but since it was a Sunday afternoon with the first Sunday baseball games of the season on, we had fresh-made guacamole, chips and salsa and a tray from the market of sliced apples with a caramel dipping sauce. Someone also made a delicious white bean dip which was used with bread chips and also a red pepper hummus.
Every once in a while I glanced at the remote thermometer. It was going up slowly. I felt I was on the correct time schedule for my timetable. Usually I like to pull a roast at 118 degrees but to satisfy the majority of people I aimed for 130 degrees.

4:30 PM and it should have been just about time. I checked the thermometer and it read 127.5 degrees. A few more degrees and I would pull it and let it rest. I sat down to watch it rise the last few degrees, resisting the urge to pull it now since I wanted to see how it was at exactly 130 degrees. When it started beeping, to my horror I saw the temp had jumped to 138 degrees. I will address any further comments about the thermometer back in the Quest to find a GOOD BBQ Thermometer “ thread.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=641994&high=bbq+thermometer

I put the roast on a platter, covered it to let it rest and proceeded to reset the grill for the mushrooms. I shut off the rotisserie burner and lit both end burners to avoid direct heat under them. In went the tray and I was cooking again.

Looking at the roast, it had nice color on the outside. The fat cap had melted considerably, hopefully providing extra flavor along with the goodies layered underneath. I kept it on the spit until I thought it was cool enough to pull it out without losing all the juices. The meat at the ends of the bones had pulled back nicely.
Finally, it was time to prepare to eat. The Dodger and Mets fans were happy, the Yankee and Angels fans not so much. I pulled the mushrooms which were crisped nicely on the stuffing. I cut the strings off the roast, removed the fat cap, herbs and onions to reveal the nice surface underneath.

Since the butcher had removed the chine bones, cut and then retied the roast, carving would be easy. The first end cut revealed a nice pink interior.

Subsequent slices looked the same.

The meat had cooked evenly from end to end. I cut a platter's worth of slices, cut off a few bones and added them to the platter.

I put it to the table along with the mushrooms and everyone served themselves, buffet style (Or should I say baseball stadium style?).

One of the guests had brought a veggie side dish so that went on the plates too. Some were drinking beer and some sodas. I went back into the wine fridge and chose another Curran wine, this one a 2005 Sangiovese. With red meat, it's very nice. The wine-drinking guests felt it was an excellent match.

There were lots of compliments. The rub and the herbs had created a flavorful roast. Everyone especially liked the way the roast with the rub on it had crusted so nicely. Everyone also commented on how it was cooked perfectly for them. I bit my tongue and said thank you. I would have liked it more rare, but you need to please the guests, I guess.

The biggest compliment of all, to me, was from the vegetarian. She said the mushrooms were delicious. I had thought so too, since there were none left on any plates. But what knocked me out was when she told me everyone had said the roast was so good that she decided to try a taste. She had gotten a little piece with some of the crust on it and said it was delicious. High praise indeed from a vegetarian!
Originally, I had planned on a six pound roast. I wound up with 11 pounds. There were a few small packages of leftover meat a few couples took. I snagged a few bones as my treat for today. With 8 people and 1 vegetarian, we had consumed practically the entire roast. There wasn't enough meat for me to even keep at home. The dinner was a success. I sat down, poured another glass of Sangiovese and relaxed.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
    Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Mon, 04/4/11 7:24 PM (permalink)
    Well, Ed, I am as impressed as I can be. What a beautiful meal!!! The roast looks fantastic, as do the mushrooms( and the wine, of course) You seem like a fantastic host, and I would be honored to sup at your table anyday.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
      Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Mon, 04/4/11 7:31 PM (permalink)
      I'm glad to see it worked out so well. Congratulations.

EdSails

Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Mon, 04/4/11 7:35 PM (permalink)
        Thanks, for the compliment, Ann, and thank you Michael, for the tip on the fat cap and the herbs.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9579
          Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Mon, 04/4/11 8:07 PM (permalink)
          Good lookin' stuff Ed!
          Actually, your 11# Roast probably had a net weight after cooking of about 6-7#'s. Take out the Bones, the fat that cooked off and trimmed fat before eating and it nets down pretty quick. Probably had about 3/4 of a pound per person of edible meat.

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
            Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Mon, 04/4/11 8:53 PM (permalink)
            Ed, what a good job! Your dinner looked outstanding! Thans for taking the time to post it!

EdSails

Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Mon, 04/4/11 9:04 PM (permalink)
              The kewl thing was that I wound up getting at least a pound of fat at N/C to use as the fat cap so that wasn't figured into it. It was still pretty heavy when I took it off!
              Thanks, agnesrob. Even if some of the guests probably thought I was crazy for taking all the pictures it was still fun to do! 

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2249
                Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Mon, 04/4/11 9:29 PM (permalink)
                EdSails, nice job on the whole process, you left nothing out. Remember to pick your friends wisely, only two well done meat eating friends allowed at any of your parties for now on, that way you have the two end cuts, and the rest of the people that know how to eat meat don't suffer........You are a great example of a person that knows, good food is planned, it just doesn't happen................pnwc
                <message edited by PNWCHEF on Mon, 04/4/11 9:30 PM>

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4467
                  Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Mon, 04/4/11 9:35 PM (permalink)
                  EdSails, Outstanding!!!  Thanks for posting!!!  And screw you for not inviting me

Serious, great job and post.

Penn German Chef

• Total Posts: 22
                    Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Tue, 04/5/11 12:39 AM (permalink)
                    A job well done. Wonderful set of procedure photos showing every step along the way. 

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                      Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Tue, 04/5/11 5:32 AM (permalink)
                      EdSails

Thanks, agnesrob. Even if some of the guests probably thought I was crazy for taking all the pictures it was still fun to do! 

Ed, My kids actually ask if I need to take a picture before they start eating!

EdSails

Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Tue, 04/5/11 6:23 AM (permalink)
                        agnesrob

EdSails

Ed, My kids actually ask if I need to take a picture before they start eating!

LOL!!!!!

Sundancer7

Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Tue, 04/5/11 8:00 AM (permalink)
                          Excellent description and you taught me a few things.  Great pictorial.  I am like you as I prefer my roast to be on the rare side.  Regardless, there was enough pink.

Paul E. Smith
                          Knoxville, TN

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
                            Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Tue, 04/5/11 10:56 AM (permalink)
                            Penn German Chef

A job well done.

Pun intended?

Ed, I'm another person who likes rare beef but the roast looks excellent.  Very nice job of compromising!

And who cares if the mushroom caps were vegetarian...they look very good as well!

Brad

mar52

• Total Posts: 7609
                              Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Tue, 04/5/11 12:34 PM (permalink)
                              Fabulous from start to finish.

analei

• Total Posts: 533
                                Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Tue, 04/5/11 1:18 PM (permalink)
                                Gorgeous and appetizing, from the meat to sides..very nicely done.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                  Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 46 of 46

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com