The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Revised with results and pics

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 46
EdSails

• Total Posts: 3546
Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Revised with results and pics Fri, 04/1/11 6:55 PM (permalink)
Sunday I'm doing a ribeye roast. Once more I need to make the decision----bone-in vs. boneless. I know it's basically-----a little added flavor but less meat. vs. more meat and nothing to chew on. OK, carnivores-----what say you? Which way would you go? It's obviously much more than a "get more beef because it's boneless" argument------it's the look and possibly the taste. I'm figuring probably a six pound roast. What say you?
<message edited by EdSails on Mon, 04/4/11 6:19 PM>

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2226
    Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Fri, 04/1/11 7:03 PM (permalink)
    Bone in, I know you can already see it turning on the spit............Feather and chine bones removed, you could have the butcher cut these off, if they are still connected. They could be tied back on while roasting. This gives you a nice easy way to slice between the bone........................

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
      Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Fri, 04/1/11 7:24 PM (permalink)
      I am a die hard fan of bone in ribeye. Thats my vote.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4710
        Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Fri, 04/1/11 8:22 PM (permalink)
        Bones.  And you can keep them for yourself and serve a boneless roast to your guests.

Brad

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
          Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Fri, 04/1/11 9:01 PM (permalink)
          PNWCHEF

Bone in, I know you can already see it turning on the spit............Feather and chine bones removed, you could have the butcher cut these off, if they are still connected. They could be tied back on while roasting. This gives you a nice easy way to slice between the bone........................

What he said!
          NOTHING beats Gnawing on a Rib Bone that's been rubbed with seasoning, Smoked and Rotissed!

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
            Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Fri, 04/1/11 10:57 PM (permalink)
            like pnwchef said, have the butcher cut the bones off & tie them back on.
            for a few $ more its worth it.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17800
              Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Fri, 04/1/11 11:08 PM (permalink)
              Be sure to tie the fat cap back on, with favorite herbs underneath. The cap will add flavor beyond belief.

EdSails

Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Fri, 04/1/11 11:37 PM (permalink)
                Yes. last time I cut the bones off and then tied them back on. I'm definitely leaning that way again. Only problem last time----we were 1 bone short. Everyone got a bone except for me!
                Interesting idea about putting the herbs underneath the fat cap. I hadn't even thought of cutting it off but will have to investigate that idea.

Foodbme

Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Fri, 04/1/11 11:50 PM (permalink)
                  EdSails

Only problem last time----we were 1 bone short. Everyone got a bone except for me!

So----- Is that what they call "Short Ribs"??

EdSails

Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Fri, 04/1/11 11:55 PM (permalink)
                    Starting to think of cooking it with the ribs tied on.................Before I bring it in , cut them back off...........claim that they fell on the ground and I had to throw them in the trash.......hide them .........hmmmmmm.....

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                      Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Sat, 04/2/11 6:23 AM (permalink)
                      Please post the pictures Ed!

pnwchef

Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Sat, 04/2/11 9:21 AM (permalink)
                        EdSails, it looks like you have your mind made up, I hope it comes out great. You put a lot of thought into your ideas, I can see the positive results in your pictures and trip reports. Great food just doesn't happen, it's planned.
                          I worked with the same butcher shop for years, he would do a lot of special cuts for me for my business and my own personal use. I would have him cut the feather and chine bones off of a center cut foot long bone in pork loin. He would tie the bones back on for roasting, leaving the rest of the loin intact. The reason I had him so this is so I could cut a pocket close to the bone, put in a stuffing and roast the rack pocket side up with extra stuffing laying over the top of the rack. When the bone in stuffed pork loin was done I was able to take off the feather and chine bones, slice next to the bone opposite the pocket right next to the next bone and slice through for a  stuffed Roast pork chop. The bone in loin is real impressive slicing at the table. The pork is melt in your mouth tender, with a nice pocket of stuffing. You could also do the bone in pork loin, feather and chine bones removed and tied back on. This would come out wonderful with a good rub and smoking, even basting as you go.................I think you do a great job with you ideas, you make other Roadfooders say "How come I'm not doing this." PNWC 

Michael Hoffman

Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Sat, 04/2/11 11:43 AM (permalink)
                          EdSails

Interesting idea about putting the herbs underneath the fat cap. I hadn't even thought of cutting it off but will have to investigate that idea.

I left something out of that. In addition to herbs, I like to put several thick onion slices under the fat cap, too.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
                            Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Sat, 04/2/11 11:56 AM (permalink)
                            Absolutely bone in, no contest, IMHO, I need to know I'm going to gnaw!

EdSails

Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Sat, 04/2/11 1:50 PM (permalink)
                              Ok, just picked it up.....butcher cut off the chines and tied it back together. 11 lb. piece, 5 bones, about twice what I had planned. Oh well, who doesn't enjoy left-over roast beef?
                              Personally. I wish the piece had more of a fat cap, but a lot of the people coming are into healthy and so I think it will be good for them. I should have asked for the fat to be tied back on I guess. I still think it will be good---there is stiil a reasonable amount of fat on it. 
                              <message edited by EdSails on Sun, 04/3/11 3:06 PM>

EdSails

Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Sat, 04/2/11 4:01 PM (permalink)
                                Nice thing about dealing with real people, roasts came without much of a fat cap, but butcher is cutting New York steaks later today and will save a couple nice big slices of fat for me to slip under the strings. What kind of herbs do I put under it, MH? I have fresh thyme, basil, oregano and can cut off some from the rosemary outside. What works? Will slice onions really thin on mandolin and do that.

<message edited by EdSails on Sat, 04/2/11 4:09 PM>

Michael Hoffman

Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Sat, 04/2/11 4:08 PM (permalink)
                                  With beef I like rosemary and thyme, and if you can get it, tarragon.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
                                    Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Sat, 04/2/11 5:31 PM (permalink)
                                    Fine chop some fresh garlic, mix it with EVOO, and parsely, baste it 2-3 times while roasting

EdSails

Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Sat, 04/2/11 6:11 PM (permalink)
                                      So many choices! Well, I just pickerd up the "fat cap" the butcher so graciously made for me after I called him It's cut from New York steak part of the loin. Should be more than enough fat to hide a bunch of herbs, onion and garlic under!

<message edited by EdSails on Sat, 04/2/11 6:13 PM>

pnwchef

Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Sat, 04/2/11 6:22 PM (permalink)
                                        Edsails, wait a few days, they will have every Herb listed..........

Foodbme

Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Sat, 04/2/11 8:59 PM (permalink)
                                          I make a mixtite of Olive Oil, Fresh Ground Black Pepper and Cavander's Greek Seasoning and rub it all over the roast and let sit 15-30 minutes before cooking. Use leftover marinade to baste while cooking.
                                          http://www.greekseasoning.com/
                                          <message edited by Foodbme on Sat, 04/2/11 9:02 PM>

claracamille

• Total Posts: 414
                                            Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Sun, 04/3/11 9:11 AM (permalink)
                                            Bone in for my family.  My boys-65,41,39,33,31 would disown me if they did not get the bones.  As you see I need to get a five bone roast, but still no leftover meat with my boys.

EdSails

Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Sun, 04/3/11 1:06 PM (permalink)
                                              PNWCHEF

Edsails, wait a few days, they will have every Herb listed..........

Even Herb Tarlek?

Penn German Chef

• Total Posts: 22
                                                Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Sun, 04/3/11 3:24 PM (permalink)
                                                I am going with the bone-on fat cap camp. Also will follow through on the herbs between the fat and meat( fresh chopped Garlic, Rosemary, and Thyme. Plus a bit on fresh course ground Black Pepper and ground Sea Salt.) Fat Cap will baste the meat while it roast slowly to temp.  Then after roast rest remove bones and prepare  for service.  I have done so many of these roast over the course of my life in kitchens. When I started Yorkshire pudding was a must have. We used a bit of the herbed grease from the fat cap to place in the bottom of popover tins before adding the batter for the pudding. Who doesn't remember rock salt baked Prime rib. Oh the memories from the heat of the kitchen. 

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                                                  Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Sun, 04/3/11 3:28 PM (permalink)
                                                  I love that show!!

Foodbme

Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Sun, 04/3/11 3:41 PM (permalink)
                                                    agnesrob

I love that show!!

Who's Herb Tarlek??

Michael Hoffman

Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Sun, 04/3/11 4:40 PM (permalink)
                                                      Ad salesman at WKRP.

EdSails

• Location: Mission Viejo, CA
                                                        Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Sun, 04/3/11 4:49 PM (permalink)
                                                        OK, roast is on with hickory chips smoking. Fat cap from a New York cut as per Michael Hoffman's instructions, with fresh thyme and rosemary, onion and garlic. Taking lots of pictures!

One of the funniest shows ever!

Michael Hoffman

• Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                          Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Sun, 04/3/11 5:31 PM (permalink)
                                                          And Gordon Jump was one of the funniest people I've ever known. I got to fish for walleye and smallmouth bass with him on Lake Erie a couple of days back in 1980.

Faithful watchers of WKRP In Cincinnati might remember that there was usually a copy of the magazine Ohio Fisherman on the desk in his office. I was associate editor of Ohio Fisherman at that time and Gordon, a Dayton native, flew in to do some promos for the Ohio Division of Wildlife and for our magazine.

Foodbme

• Location: Gilbert, AZ
                                                            Re:Bones vs. Boneless in a Ribeye Roast---what to do? Sun, 04/3/11 7:02 PM (permalink)
                                                            Michael Hoffman

Ad salesman at WKRP.

AAAAH!!! NOW I Remember! (Senioritis)
                                                            Couldn't make him out from the picture.
                                                            I loved that show!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 46

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com