Boone's Farm Strawberry hill

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
2008/08/07 19:00:37 (permalink)

Boone's Farm Strawberry hill

Ok so I am traveling from Ashtabula Ohio to Niagra falls with a stop outside Erie Pa. I have traveled and lived all over the country but this area has been neglected. Beautiful country and I am amazed how many Winerys there are. Grapes are growing all the way from Ashtabula up into Niagra by the Lake which by the way is an amazing little town. If your wife likes to shop small shops then this place ranks right up there with some of the best I have ever seen. After you see the falls drive the extra 20 minutes to Niagra by the Lake. I have stopped at maybe 15 winerys and tasted some pretty good stuff and bought alot of wine this week. I get in the car yesterday and after lunch and a couple of winerys I have acheived a little buzz. So I pull into a little country store to buy some bottled water and there is a display of Boone's Farm products.My wife laughs and we chuckle a little about the times when a $1.49 bottle of Boone's Farm and a dinner of BBQd chicken thighs (.39 cents a pound) was a romantic evening for a young broke couple in love. Strange how things taste much better when you cant afford them. So I am back at the hotel and I tell my wife I am going to open one of the many bottles we have purched on the trip. And what does she choose? The Boone's Farm Snow Creek Berry $3.99 a bottle must be the new name for Strawberry Hill and I must tell you the stuff still tastes good 25 years later. Poured over ice in a plastic hotel cup the bottle goes down pretty quick.

You know my wife still looks pretty good after 25 years also...Russ

41 Replies Related Threads

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Boone's Farm Strawberry hill 2008/08/07 19:17:51 (permalink)
    Some of the wineries in the Chatauqua area and heading north towards Buffalo are nice little wineries. Most of the grapes grown in Niagra County are for Welch's Grape Juice. In fact, the vast majority of grapes grown in the Lake Erie AVA are concord grapes. The vineyards look the same as a winery, but the Niagra and Concord grapes are for juice. Ice wine, if you like ice wine, is of particular note in the NY portion of the Lake Erie AVA.

I have enjoyed some of the Western NY wineries, but many of the wines are on the sweet side for my tastes, and I prefer the wines in the Finger Lakes. But, some years, WNY has some good batches of Pinot Noir, believe it or not, and even Cabernet Franc. And red wine is not a NY staple. NY is mostly known for its whites like award winning Reisling, Seyval Blanc and Chardonnay. But Pinot Noirs and even Cab Sauvs have some excellent years.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Boone's Farm Strawberry hill 2008/08/07 19:20:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Russ Jackson

.My wife laughs and we chuckle a little about the times when a $1.49 bottle of Boone's Farm and a dinner of BBQd chicken thighs (.39 cents a pound) was a romantic evening for a young broke couple in love.

any woman that sticks with for 21 years with a start like that is a definate treasure!--Russ, I'd say you were a lucky man!
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4541
    RE: Boone's Farm Strawberry hill 2008/08/07 20:56:38 (permalink)
    Great story Russ. Back in my day it was 1.99 in the Pa. state store. I remember it well.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Boone's Farm Strawberry hill 2008/08/07 21:18:15 (permalink)
    25 years and still looking good - bless the two of you and many more years of Boone Farm ..

Cheers, John
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: Boone's Farm Strawberry hill 2008/08/07 21:19:20 (permalink)
    Boone's Farm! Russ, I got that stuff for a "wine expert" that use to be my wife's former boss. This guy would spend $500 on a bottle of red wine back in the early 90's. He had a good laugh. We got it at Publix.

David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2165
    RE: Boone's Farm Strawberry hill 2008/08/07 21:38:18 (permalink)
    Great story, Russ. I am really surprised that a country store in northeast wine country would feature a product produced in Modesto, CA. (Modesto, CA = Fairbanks Trucking = E&J Gallo). The Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill flavor is still produced. Snow Creek Berry is a different flavor. Liquor wholesalers are probably the only ones outside of Modesto who have a current accurate list of flavors, but this fan site does have a list of flavors:
    http://www.boonesfarm.net/index_files/Page384.html

In my case, Ernest and Julio's Ripple was the drink of choice at my air base in Europe. 25 cents for a 12 ounce bottle at the Class VI store. In the early 80's, I purchased one of the last bottles at the time it was discontinued and still have it as a momento. For months, I could get a laugh from the clerks at posh Manhattan wine shops by walking in and asking for a bottle of Ripple.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Boone's Farm Strawberry hill 2008/08/07 21:44:40 (permalink)
    Forever.......
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Boone's Farm Strawberry hill 2008/08/08 00:44:48 (permalink)
    I love your story, Russ, and I ESPECIALLY love that you two are still in love after 25 years.

However, I must disagree with your Strawberry Hill assessment. (Not meaning at ALL to detract from your enjoyment.)

Like many of us, I loved Boone's Farm Apple and Strawberry Hill when I was around 17. It went especially well with the dried leaves we would wrap in Big Bambu papers; I don't remember what those leaves were called...

Sometime in the last 5 years (again, don't remember when), I was in a store on the "under-privileged" side of town and noticed some bottles of Strawberry Hill in the cooler. I bought one just for old times sake. It did NOT bring back good memories...

Kind of like when I bought a used CD of the original Black Oak Arkansas album. It was like, "Did I really like this sh*t????"

Again, though, Russ, I'm glad you had the good experience with the love of your life. I mean that.
    uncledaveyo
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Boone's Farm Strawberry hill 2008/08/08 01:09:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by David_NYC

Great story, Russ. I am really surprised that a country store in northeast wine country would feature a product produced in Modesto, CA. (Modesto, CA = Fairbanks Trucking = E&J Gallo).\

Why is it surprising that a Gallo product is available anywhere? They are the largest winery in the world. Its like being surprised Coca Cola is available.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Boone's Farm Strawberry hill 2008/08/08 12:10:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by uncledaveyo

quote:
    Originally posted by David_NYC

Great story, Russ. I am really surprised that a country store in northeast wine country would feature a product produced in Modesto, CA. (Modesto, CA = Fairbanks Trucking = E&J Gallo).\

Why is it surprising that a Gallo product is available anywhere? They are the largest winery in the world. Its like being surprised Coca Cola is available.

I think because it's a "country store," where, usually, more local products are typically found, rather than mass produced Gallo wines.
    uncledaveyo
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Boone's Farm Strawberry hill 2008/08/08 12:28:35 (permalink)
    Fair enough.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Boone's Farm Strawberry hill 2008/08/08 12:59:25 (permalink)
    Did they have "Tickled Pink"?!?!!?
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Boone's Farm Strawberry hill 2008/08/08 13:42:27 (permalink)
    bear with me on this. I take the long way around, but this is ultimately about Boone's Farm wines.

I never had a Boone's Farm phase in my life, but I did drink Mad Dog as a freshman in college.
    there's no way drinking Mad Dog would bring back anything pleasant.

I became a wine nut (not snob, though) in 1995 when I took my first job, teaching music in the Finger Lake region of NY State. My first wines were Swedish Hill, Dr. Franks, Glenora, Trealeaven at King Ferry Winery, Bully Hill (for the "fun wines") and Hermann J. Weinmar. That was an excellent introduction into the world of wine - Beginning mostly with white wines such as Chardonay, Pinot Blanc, Seyval and, og course, Reislings but also experiencing some good Cabernet Francs and Pinot Noirs.

My initialtion into reds were wines from Australia and South America, but I wasn't blown away by anything coming out of those areas at that time (which was the beginning of the wine boom).

Later, as I explored red wines, CA hit my radar with Merlots and Zins, and a trip to Sonoma gave me even furthur insight into Zinfandels (old vine zin is one of my favorite reds), Merlots, Pinot Noirs, and a host of others. And trade agreements with South America has brought in some wines from the better wineries of Argentina and Chile and I would finally have a Melbec I could nash my teeth into.

So, where does Boone Farm fit in to this, well, early on during my wine awakening, (which is still expanding - since I've only been a wine enthusiast for 13 years) my in-laws decided that they too would get into wine. My mother in-law had a previous appreciation of Italian wines several decades ago when she was still single and travelled to Europe. But, they really weren't wine drinkers at this point.

One Thanksgiving, Boone's Farm was on the table. My father-in-law got wine, knowing I was a wine drinker. I did not openly protest in the least. But, later on that evening, my wife mentioned that Bully Hill is a NY winery, and while it is more expensive than Boone's, it's very palatable, goes well with meals or for sipping, and suggested that they should think about supporting the NY State wine industry.

Well, her tact worked. Although they tried Arbor Mist first, they did settle on Bully Hill by Winter's end, and by the next Thanksgiving, Dr. Frank's Reisling was on the table. For reds, they decided on Italian wines because of my mother-in-law's past. They definately know more than me about Italian reds, because I feel like I'm still exploring California (even if it's just at my local wine shop). But it's fun for us to complare reds and we have the same tastes in white to come back to. (We also did start a tradition of having beaujolais nouveau on Thanksgiving...along with Chianti)

So, as a lark, I bought a bottle of Boone's a couple years back on a golf outting - surprising my father-in-law with the bottle. We opened it, and poured a half glass for each (it was afterall - 9AM). "Man, this is really #hitty wine," he exclaims, "but, it's not THAT bad of a drink."

Russ Jackson
    RE: Boone's Farm Strawberry hill 2008/08/08 16:26:40 (permalink)
    Please dont confuse Boone's Farm with wine. I beleive its more like Apple Jack. It goes well with Fish Sticks, Ramen Noodles, White Rice, Microwaved Potatoes, Extension Cord Hot Dogs...etc If we forget where we came from how can we appreciate the things we have today. To those of you who have never been broke and had to cash in bottles, cans, search in sofa cushions to find change to catch a buzz on ripple or cheap beer (Falstaff,Goebel,or Top Hat) I feel sorry for you. Also if you have never been blasted on Mad Dog 20/20 on an allnight skiing trip with your buddies. You really havent lived. Go out buy a bottle of Boones Farm, get some ice, sit out on the porch with a big bowl of popcorn and kill it. I am not gonna wait 20 more years to do it again....maybe 5. However next party I go to I am bringing 10 bottles and listen the old stories and laughs. I bet everyone at the party will have atleast 1 glass...Russ
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13521
    RE: Boone's Farm Strawberry hill 2008/08/08 16:38:50 (permalink)
    Back in the 60's, I enjoyed Boones farm with herb. I do not consider it wine but I sure did enjoy it as a beverage as I craved some sweets late at night. No more for me.

Paul E. Smith
    knoxville, TN
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Boone's Farm Strawberry hill 2008/08/08 17:55:33 (permalink)
    Ah...Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill. The 1970 vintage was excellent. I remember it well. Being a rather young wine, usually bottled yesterday, it took a true oenophile to bring out the best in this wine. In the right hands this wine could be transformed into a world class wine.

It is a difficult wine to work with as aging in the bottle does not work, as well as decanting or simply letting it breathe does not work. As it is a festive wine, it should be reserved for special occasions, such as a late night dorm room party with special friends.

How does one transform this wine into a world class wine? Unfortunately, this is a proprietary secret that cannot be revealed. The process does change the wine so significantly that it is almost always renamed. The most common name for the new product is usually Boone's Hill Bong Water Wine. Sorry I could not reveal more about the process.
    Russ Jackson
    RE: Boone's Farm Strawberry hill 2008/08/08 18:10:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Greyghost

Ah...Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill. The 1970 vintage was excellent. I remember it well. Being a rather young wine, usually bottled yesterday, it took a true oenophile to bring out the best in this wine. In the right hands this wine could be transformed into a world class wine.

It is a difficult wine to work with as aging in the bottle does not work, as well as decanting or simply letting it breathe does not work. As it is a festive wine, it should be reserved for special occasions, such as a late night dorm room party with special friends.

How does one transform this wine into a world class wine? Unfortunately, this is a proprietary secret that cannot be revealed. The process does change the wine so significantly that it is almost always renamed. The most common name for the new product is usually Boone's Hill Bong Water Wine. Sorry I could not reveal more about the process.

One of the few beverages that can cut thru Cotton Mouth and still hold up to a bag of Taco Doritos...Russ
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8474
    RE: Boone's Farm Strawberry hill 2008/08/08 18:13:27 (permalink)
    You guys are killing me!!!!Memories of Boones Farm, along with whatever,are fantastic.
    uncledaveyo
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Boone's Farm Strawberry hill 2008/08/08 18:14:13 (permalink)
    That made me laugh so hard it blew everything off of the mirror.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Boone's Farm Strawberry hill 2008/08/08 18:41:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Russ Jackson

...Also if you have never been blasted on Mad Dog 20/20 on an allnight skiing trip with your buddies. You really havent lived...

I guess I've lived. Mad Dog 20/20 stuffed in my ski coat on the way down the mountain like an obese flask, then being passed back and forth on the ski lift on the way back up.
    Big Tupper. Tupper Lake, NY. Good times.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4541
    RE: Boone's Farm Strawberry hill 2008/08/08 18:58:07 (permalink)
    After Boone's Farm I graduated to Matus Rose' and then discovered Reunite Bianco.

Does anyone remember Aldo Cella. We talked the clerk in a liquor store in Jersey to give us a life size cut out Aldo and brought it to the Shore. Wildwood was never the same.
    sk bob
    • Total Posts : 1801
    RE: Boone's Farm Strawberry hill 2008/08/08 21:42:56 (permalink)
    this is bringing back early HIGH school memories 72-73.
    Boones Farm apple,strawberry hill,Riengold, Sheafer, Piels, Schlitz, Pabst Blue Ribbon.
    all around $3.99 a case.
    very very fuzzy times.
    wouldn't trade those fuzzy memories for anything.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    RE: Boone's Farm Strawberry hill 2008/08/09 02:55:09 (permalink)
    Give me a bottle of $3.99 Verdi Sparkling wine, and call it New Year's Eve!!!

Actually, during my travels to the Buffalo area, I noticed many varieties of Ice wines. I had no clue, but I was curious enough to try some. The grapes are frozen, while on the vine, and it produces a very sweet flavor. I do not remember the rest of the information. I was too busy enjoying the wine. Delicious!!

So, my favorite "Buffalo meal" consisted of Mighty Taco and Ice wine. Breakfast of Champions!!!!!! LOL
    rongmtek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: Boone's Farm Strawberry hill 2008/08/09 09:52:36 (permalink)
    Cheap wine brings back so many good memories because we were all so young when we drank it!

I once brought a gallon jug of wine to a party (circa 1971) that cost me exactly $1.69. The label touted the fact that this wine "goes great with baked beans".

The next day, my friend Donna (who threw the party) called to tell me her mom looked in the fridge that morning, opened the untouched jug, sniffed it and asked her, "Who the hell brought a gallon of vinegar to the party?"
    Ron
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6311
    RE: Boone's Farm Strawberry hill 2008/08/09 09:57:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by joerogo

After Boone's Farm I graduated to Matus Rose' and then discovered Reunite Bianco.

Does anyone remember Aldo Cella. We talked the clerk in a liquor store in Jersey to give us a life size cut out Aldo and brought it to the Shore. Wildwood was never the same.

Yes,remember the ad..."Chill a Cella!!!
    Sonny Funzio
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 907
    RE: Boone's Farm Strawberry hill 2008/08/09 22:23:51 (permalink)
    Night Train. Ah, now there's a fine vinter. Ya gotta open the bottle and let it "breath" a bit before you drink it ... bein a young wine and all.
    Sonny Funzio
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 907
    RE: Boone's Farm Strawberry hill 2008/08/09 22:25:35 (permalink)

from a kinder, gentler time
    Russ Jackson
    RE: Boone's Farm Strawberry hill 2008/08/12 17:59:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sonny Funzio

from a kinder, gentler time

Where is the Thunderbird or the Apple Jug?...Russ
    Clay Bell
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Boone's Farm Strawberry hill 2008/08/12 18:27:41 (permalink)
    Just another funny story, I was in a market in Tucson a week ago and there on display was Richards Wild Irish Rose. I havent seen that since the 60,s in Niagara University, and the price was written in crayon no scan bars. I thought it was a joke so I took it to the register and I was charged $2.50 same as it was in the sixties. Well took it home took a large swig**&^$#&() and decided thats why i havent had wine since then
    Clay Bell
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1