Borden's Frosted's

Author
Gank16
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
2006/12/15 21:28:39 (permalink)

Borden's Frosted's

Does anyone remember a shake-like drink called Frosted's by Borden? As a kid I was drinking so much of that stuff my parents literally had to curb me away from them cos I was gaining too much weight. They came in Chocolate, Dutch Chocolate, Vanilla, and Strawberry. Sadly, I believe they were discontinued at some point in the mid-80s.
I couldn't find anything about them on the internet and was just wondering if anyone else recalled these delicious drinks.

16 Replies Related Threads

pastagirl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Borden's Frosted's 2006/12/17 14:31:35 (permalink)
    Originally posted by Gank16

Does anyone remember a shake-like drink called Frosted's by Borden? As a kid I was drinking so much of that stuff my parents literally had to curb me away from them cos I was gaining too much weight. They came in Chocolate, Dutch Chocolate, Vanilla, and Strawberry. Sadly, I believe they were discontinued at some point in the mid-80s.
    I couldn't find anything about them on the internet and was just wondering if anyone else recalled these delicious drinks.
    [/quote
    Were they in a can? if so I do remember them and they were addictive! my favorites were the vanilla and strawberry. I had forgotten about them until I read your post, thanks!
    Luisa]
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Borden's Frosted's 2006/12/17 15:10:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Gank16

My mom used to get them for us on special days, like when we went on a school field trip. I think I looked forward to that canned shake more than the trip! One time at the Queens hall of science (NY) my brown bag got soggy and the shake broke through, and rolled away in the theatre, which had a slanted floor. I crawled around until I found it!

They were probably horrid, but I have fond memories of them!
    Rego Park Forest Hills
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Borden's Frosted's 2009/05/16 19:26:31 (permalink)
    I loved these back in the day (1975?, and selling for 39 cents?) I remember them coming in a can and lying flat in the dairy dept (piled atop each other.) They basically came in a biscuit container, albeit a miniature version (only 6 ounces?) Relative to their time, these weren't cheap at all (for their size), but were quite rich, accordingly. Being the immature simpleton I was, I always requested mom buy the vanilla, but actually downed the other varieties rather enthusiastically (can't say I recall the dutch choco, though.)
    I was rather startled, myself, for the lack of info on the Net, with regard to this delish product..
    Beverly K
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 81
    Re:Borden's Frosted's 2009/05/16 22:19:57 (permalink)
    I certainly do remember Borden's Frosteds. But I happened to be a fan of the Dutch Chocolate.

There also was Borden's Dutch Chocolate Ice Cream, and the commercials on TV urged you to combine the two, which I so willingly did. It was a total chocolate overload!!!

Borden's dairy products disappeared from this part of PA along about the mid-70s, I believe.

BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    Re:Borden's Frosted's 2009/05/17 01:00:50 (permalink)
    I found this on You Tube....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4ZTlng-dy4

Looks like Kool Aid for Milk?

Big Glenn
    Rego Park Forest Hills
    Junior Burger
    Re:Borden's Frosted's 2009/05/17 04:28:17 (permalink)
    OMG Bev! Now that sounds like one helluva float!!!
    Saw the vid, Glen...seems to be the "Carnation Instant Breakfast" precursor.
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    Re:Borden's Frosted's 2009/05/17 10:11:57 (permalink)
    I remember them very well..shake em up!  I liked vanilla.
    tkitna
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 634
    Re:Borden's Frosted's 2009/05/18 01:41:51 (permalink)
    Might have been a bit before my time, but I found this.

Rego Park Forest Hills
    Junior Burger
    Re:Borden's Frosted's 2009/05/18 09:42:25 (permalink)
    Thx for that Kit!
    K, triv:  Chocolate came in the brown can; strawberry, a pink one...but what color was the vanilla can?......

andyh40
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 39
    Re:Borden's Frosted's 2009/05/19 09:25:30 (permalink)
    I loved the strawberry shake. As I recall, they were all quite good. I wish they had more items like this around today.
    RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    Re:Borden's Frosted's 2009/05/19 09:39:04 (permalink)
    Rego Park Forest Hills

Thx for that Kit!
    K, triv:  Chocolate came in the brown can; strawberry, a pink one...but what color was the vanilla can?......

Light yellow

I remember them and thought they were great but like Tang, were a product of the "advanced" food technology of the time.  I imagine if you added a small amount of water and some chocolate syrup to a jar of powdered Coffee Mate and refrigerated it, its taste would be very similar to the chocolate shake.
    Rego Park Forest Hills
    Junior Burger
    Re:Borden's Frosted's 2009/05/19 11:22:22 (permalink)
    Hmmmmmm, Ruby Rose...I honestly thought vanilla was the blue can; come to think of it...what exactly was I drinking? :P
    And Andy...don't all us supermarket connoisseurs wish that,too?!
    PS- Perhaps blue was the color of the Alka-Seltzer box I needed, after I downed too many of them in one sitting *Note to self: If you're gunna ask a trivia question out of nowhere...at least know the right answer!*
    David_NYC
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2165
    Re:Borden's Frosted's 2009/05/19 17:10:37 (permalink)
    I've been watching this thread for a few days now, waiting for the little grey cells to pull something out of the deep recesses. That trade magazine ad did the trick.

The background color of the can the Vanilla shake came in was indeed BLUE. I also remember reading that the can said "A melloream product" on it, whatever that meant. Also of interest is that the headquarters of Borden was still at 350 Madison Avenue in Manhattan at that time.

At the time, Borden's also made a canned egg nog. I always thought the shakes were an offshoot of the egg nog line of business. I never heard why they were dropped from the market place.

The Borden's canned egg nog LOB is still around, and is owned today by J. M. Smucker:
    http://www.bordeneggnog.com/

Now if only someone could convince Smucker to make those canned shakes again.
    Rego Park Forest Hills
    Junior Burger
    Re:Borden's Frosted's 2009/05/25 00:48:20 (permalink)
    Many kudos,David.
    Ms. Borden- You went gently in the boogie-down, late 70's night...and titillated my youthful exuberance.
    Thanks for the mammories,my sweet treat!
    Jhen Kobran
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Borden's Frosted's 2011/09/10 10:57:50 (permalink)
    Totally remember these delicious drinks.  I don't remember the Dutch Chocolate but I remember the chocolate came in the brown and white can, the vanilla came in the blue and white can and the strawberry came in the pink and white can.  Wonder why they were discontinued?  We still have Yoo-Hoo but these drinks were infinitely better!  Kind of like we still have Oreos but we don't have the superior original Hydrox cookies anymore.  : (
    OrigMiamigirl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Borden's Frosted's 2012/03/10 22:35:04 (permalink)
    I have an older dog who the vet suggested I give Ensure to. Tonight I tasted the vanilla (dogs can't have chocolate). The taste totally took me back. 

Took me awhile to remember it was a canned milkshake of my youth and this thread cleared it for me with the Borden's Frosted Shakes. If you want to taste it again, try Ensure. *lol* Developed for Baby Boomers? 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1