Bork!

Author
fischgrape
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 122
2008/04/21 10:53:46 (permalink)

Bork!

We have a local and grass-fed meats butcher in Rhinebeck (and Kingston) NY called Fleisher's. They have two ground meat products that have, at least for me, revolutionized burger-making.

One is ground 'bork,' which I'm sure you can figure out. Amusingly, one of the staff there is trying to convince customers that it's a kind of hybrid. The burgers I made from it the other night were amazing.

Only to be superceded by the burgers made from the beef/bacon mix. Oh my lord, the burgers from that were enough to make me forget my name for a good half hour.

I have a new, semi-frou-frou burger trick that I've developed. I always pack the burgers as gently as possible, and so season them on the outside with salt and pepper. I have taken to putting chopped shallots on the seasoning plate, too, and lightly pressing them into the surface of the burger. The shallots get caramelized, and even a little burnt--which tastes great!

Cheers,

john

4 Replies Related Threads

divefl
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1671
    RE: Bork! 2008/04/21 11:00:33 (permalink)
    I'm going to try the shallots trick. That sounds really good.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6203
    RE: Bork! 2008/04/21 11:09:15 (permalink)
    I bet the "bork" is a great beginning to a good meatloaf!
    ScreamingChicken
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4978
    RE: Bork! 2008/04/21 11:28:08 (permalink)
    [url='http://www.grassfedmeat.net']Fleisher's[/url] was featured on "Diary of a Foodie" a few weeks back. Looks like a place where I could spend some time and money.

Brad
    fischgrape
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 122
    RE: Bork! 2008/04/21 22:27:28 (permalink)
    Lee, I have tried it already and you're right. The missing veal is only a minor texture enhancer, which doesn't matter when you're using bread crumbs to keep the meatloaf tender and moist. The best part is that the local pork and grass-fed beef add a ton of flavor.

Brad, the place is dangerous. I dropped $17 on a top sirloin steak yesterday...but it will feed myself and wifey for at least two meals, maybe three. And it makes sense for both environment, and obviously, flavor.

Dive, it works whether you use a grill or a pan, but the cast iron pan yields the most caramelization.

Cheers,

john
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1