The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Bosnian Foods on Food Network-- Triple D show

Barbarainnc

• Total Posts: 92
Bosnian Foods on Food Network-- Triple D show Tue, 11/3/09 8:00 PM (permalink)
I was watching Triple D last night on Food Network. Guy went to a restaurant in Houston,TX called Cafe Pita. They served a sandwich with sausages with homemade bread. The meat is called Cevapi and the bread is called lepinja (I think). Anybody ever eat there, or have the recipes. The show will be on again  Nov. 13th at 9:00pm and Nov 15 at 3:00pm. Somebody watch and take quick notes, they go fast!!! :) :)

Extreme Glow

Re:Bosnian Foods on Food Network-- Triple D show Tue, 11/3/09 9:13 PM (permalink)
    I haven't been to that Cafe nor did I see the TV show.  However, I just wanted to mention that St. Louis has over half a dozen good Bosnian restaurants.  Back in the 90s during the "Balkan Crisis", the US relocated over 20,000 Bosnians to St. Louis.  They have set up some really nice restaurants, bakeries, and coffee houses mainly in the Bevo Mill area of south city.  My favorite is Berix Coffeehouse.  I've had several of the dishes, including the cevapi (se-vap-chee), but I like the stuffed peppers and the meat pies (burek).  Grbic is another very good restaurant.

http://www.berixcoffee.com/

http://www.grbicrestaurant.com/

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3095
      Re:Bosnian Foods on Food Network-- Triple D show Wed, 11/4/09 7:02 AM (permalink)
      From Ifood.tv~
      Lapinja or Somun Bread I have been trying for quite some time (over 3 years) to get a real Lapinja Bread recipe. It is sometimes called Bosnian Bread or Somun. It is a flat bread that has a chewy texture and is wonderful. It is served with cevapcici (finger sausages) and also grilled meats along with Ajvar and sour cream or kajmak.
      I have searched online for the recipe, but haven't found the authentic recipe. The problem is it seems only people from Bosnia know how to make it. Even my son-in-law who is from the former Yugo doesn't know and neither does his mother who was a chef in Croatia and Kosovo.
      There is only one bakery within 2 hours of me that makes it and it is a 3-4 hour roundtrip drive. They tell me a Bosnian gave them the recipe. It is a BIG secret it seems. So I want to learn to make Lapinja!
      TIA
       http://brandon.multics.org/doc/recipes/bosnian-bread.html

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
        Re:Bosnian Foods on Food Network-- Triple D show Wed, 11/4/09 7:52 AM (permalink)
        Portland, Oregon has two fine places that serve Bosnian food, the Two Brothers Cafe which serves great cevapi, soups and pita and The European Market which has the best cevapi in Portland served in what is a grocery store dedicated to European specialties.

Trask

• Total Posts: 114
          Re:Bosnian Foods on Food Network-- Triple D show Wed, 12/9/09 4:22 PM (permalink)
          Even the northwest coastal town of Astoria, Oregon has a neat little Bosnian restaurant called "Drina Daisy". I'll go back!

Milt

• Total Posts: 354
            Re:Bosnian Foods on Food Network-- Triple D show Thu, 12/24/09 2:13 PM (permalink)
            I was introduced to Cevapi in Smyrna, Georgia at Zoka's Deli.  Unfortunately, the landlord began redevloping the shopping center and relocated tenants to another strip center.  Zoka's was the only non-Hispanic tenant in the new center and did not last long in the new location.  There were a couple of Bosnian restaurants in the extreme northeast part of metro Atlanta a few years ago, but I don't know if they are still in operation.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4899
              Re:Bosnian Foods on Food Network-- Triple D show Fri, 12/17/10 1:03 AM (permalink)
              I watched a re-run of this DDD show tonight. I would drive to Houston just to eat at Cafe Pita!

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3095
                Re:Bosnian Foods on Food Network-- Triple D show Fri, 12/17/10 9:46 AM (permalink)
                Funny this thread popped up today. I plan on trying my hand this afternoon at making the lapinje Bosnian bread. I found two recipes and plan on combining them. This is the one I'm following changing only the flour amount to 3 1/2 cups, proofing the yeast in warm milk and adding the baking powder.
                http://www.europeancuisines.com/Balkan-Serbian-Croatian-Bosnian-Lapinja-Lepinje-Somun-Flat-Bread-Recipe

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com