Boston Ice Cream Festival

Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15210
2003/04/19 21:44:12 (permalink)

Boston Ice Cream Festival

Saw a short piece on the Boston Ice Cream Festival recently on the Food Channel. It looked like an activity worth a side trip depending on when it runs.. Does anyone know any info about the Festival? Dates? Location in Boston? Details??
Thanks in advance
AL

7 Replies Related Threads

lvw
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Boston Ice Cream Festival 2003/04/19 22:26:55 (permalink)
    Well, it may be the Scooperbowl, which is a Jimmy Fund cancer research fundraising event. It usually occurs the first week in June on City Hall Plaza in Boston. It used to be held on Boston Common, but they've moved it in recent years to City Hall for some reason. It is a great event and for a nominal donation, you get to sample unlimited, yes unlimited, ice cream from various ice cream manufacturers. And they give you a pretty healthy scoop. A friend and I used to go and we'd keep our sample cups so that at the end we knew how many scoops we'd eaten. I think my record was about 15 or so. I had to take a nap on the Common afterwards!

Lisa
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15210
    RE: Boston Ice Cream Festival 2003/04/19 22:53:01 (permalink)
    Lisa...yeah it looked like city hall in the background..not the Commons fer sure! And they did say it was like "A Taste of ...." kind of program. Is it a one day or weeklong event?
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2125
    RE: Boston Ice Cream Festival 2003/04/19 23:34:25 (permalink)
    It usually runs for several days (3-4?) during the summer.
    Laughing Goddess
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: Boston Ice Cream Festival 2003/06/04 22:43:48 (permalink)
    Yup, Al, you're talking about the Scooperbowl. Here's the official website: http://www.jimmyfund.org/eve/event/scooper_default.asp

$7 admission, and all you can eat!
    peppertree
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    RE: Boston Ice Cream Festival 2003/06/17 20:40:35 (permalink)
    I lived in Boston (Back Bay section) in 1984 and went to Scooperbowl. That was their 2nd or 3rd year. Back then it was $2 ( I think) not more than $3. and they gave me a bowl and I was invited to fill it up (as often as I wanted). It was a warm day around high 80's with high humidity. When I was through eating, I filled up the bowl they gave me and walked home as fast as I could without running. I am glad that it was in the common then because I was able to make it home with about 2/3 of the ice cream not melted. I ate what was left over the next few days.

The last time I visited Boston it was with my wife who had never been there. By coincidence, it was the week of scooperbowl and we went there and enjoyed the ice cream. $7. is getting expensive. Yeh it is good ice cream from the best sellers in town, but $7. might make me hesitate.

I reccommend that you go, but take a bowl and hide it and bring it in with you. For $7. you should be able to take some home for later. I don't think the organizers would notice, you sneaking it out. (It is not New York). You can slip the bowl to a friend behind the rope.
    Lucky Bishop
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Boston Ice Cream Festival 2003/06/17 21:29:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by peppertree

$7. is getting expensive. Yeh it is good ice cream from the best sellers in town, but $7. might make me hesitate.

Yeah, how dare those kids with cancer actually make any money out of this charity event. The nerve.
    PFKnFoodNetwork
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Boston Ice Cream Festival 2004/09/20 12:42:41 (permalink)
    Here is the link for the SCOOPERBOWL!

http://www.jimmyfund.org/eve/event/scooper_default.asp
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Saw a short piece on the Boston Ice Cream Festival recently on the Food Channel. It looked like an activity worth a side trip depending on when it runs.. Does anyone know any info about the Festival? Dates? Location in Boston? Details??
    Thanks in advance
    AL
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1