The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Boston Market cutting salt

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
  • Roadfood Insider
Boston Market cutting salt Wed, 08/22/12 8:17 AM (permalink)
MYFOXNY.COM -
Boston Market is reportedly pulling salt shakers off its tables and plans to reduce sodium levels in some of its food.
The restaurant chain will start by taking salt shakers off of the tables at its 476 locations, USA Today reports.
The Golden, Colo. based company said it plans to reduce the amount of sodium in three of its dishes -- rotisserie chicken, macaroni and cheese, and mashed potatoes -- by 20 percent in the next six months.  All of its dishes would have 15% less sodium in the coming years.

According to the Boston Market nutritional information on its website, half of a rotisserie chicken currently contains 1380 mg of sodium.  A large portion of meatloaf has 1640 mg of sodium.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, current dietary guidelines for Americans recommend that adults in general should consume no more than 2,300 mg of sodium per day.

Not all consumers were happy with the news.  Several people complained on the company's Facebook page.  One saying, "Boston market, the new Nanny State of Restaurants."

Read more: http://www.myfoxny.com/story/19328811/boston-market-cutting-salt#ixzz24HDlYETR

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
    Re:Boston Market cutting salt Wed, 08/22/12 6:14 PM (permalink)
    dont take it off the table--TAKE IT OUT OF ALL THE INGREDIANTS!  I am a firm believer that almost ALL cooks use to danged much salt! let me add it at the table---dont fall for this crap that all food needs to be salted to taste good! there really is no need to put 1640 grams of salt in a serving of meatloaf!!--learn to cook!!!!! and  it wont NEED all that salt!

wheregreggeats.com

Re:Boston Market cutting salt Wed, 08/22/12 7:00 PM (permalink)
      Maybe nobody ever used the salt shakers there.

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2016
        Re:Boston Market cutting salt Wed, 08/22/12 7:08 PM (permalink)
        (@ Tiki)

I disagree   ... Most recipes call for too much salt.  The amount of salt can be cut by 1/2 to 70% and not change the taste too much.   ... However, when all the salt is deleted in a recipe, you can not add it at the table and get the salt blended all the way thought the food.   The customer will then add too much, it not more than the amount originally used in the recipe.

Ask your doctor, he will tell you that salt used in cooking is not the problem, the salt shaker is.

I cut the amount of salt in my recipes more than 10 years ago. No one has complained or adds salt at the table.
        <message edited by edwmax on Wed, 08/22/12 7:09 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com