Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Bottled Water drying up

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 36
Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
Bottled Water drying up Tue, 06/17/08 1:13 PM (permalink)
Apparently the bottleing industry is seeing a significant downturn
in bottled water sales. I'm sure it's due to comsumers cutting back due to riseing prices across the board.
I can't think of one time that I purchased water for my general thirst. I do buy a case to have some on hand to give out on hot days to my postman or the rubbish guys. I've also used it in baking bread to see if there was a difference, none.
My Ex and my daughter are never without it, their latest kick is vitamin water. I told them it's loaded with sugar, not any beter than soda but it makes them feel good.
My household water is as hard as nails and I'm finnaly thinking on picking up a Brita system. Cotco has a coupon for them this month,
pitchers and filters. Is there any advantage to this system?
I'll still buy the cases for hand outs, but that's it.
Chow Jim

sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
    RE: Bottled Water drying up Tue, 06/17/08 1:27 PM (permalink)
    Jim .............Breta is a very good deal............ works fine
    Linda and I wont leave home without it............... while on the road.
    Once we leave the coast and get to parts of the Midwest (the square states) the water is the pits................. we make coffee in our hotel room using tap water and run it through a Brita.
    Drinking water for our van as we cross the country comes from last night's hotel tap using the Brita............. and at home we have a Brita pitcher in the refrigerator at all times .....
    so............. yes Jim the Brita is worth the $$$$$

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
      RE: Bottled Water drying up Tue, 06/17/08 1:27 PM (permalink)
      Our water tastes like a swimming pool so I bought one of the "Pur" water pitchers, after reading on the label everything it eliminates it can't help but to be better and yes, I notice a differrence in taste. I also use the filtered water to make my iced tea. I recently read an article on just how much plastic does NOT get recycled and I feel even better about having the pitcher. Several people I work with insist on drinking "Voss" water in fancy glass bottles, I don't "buy" it.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4900
        RE: Bottled Water drying up Tue, 06/17/08 1:28 PM (permalink)
        Jim, I believe it's been proven that "hard" water is beneficial to your health. Something to do with the calcium. Can anyone back me up on this. I've always been led to believe, the "harder" the water, the better it is for you.

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4469
          RE: Bottled Water drying up Tue, 06/17/08 1:49 PM (permalink)
          twinwillow, I always buy spring water because purified water has all the minerals removed, and your body needs them. Almost all of the major and trace minerals we get come from our drinking water.

If you check the label on some purified waters you will see that they add certain minerals back to the water after purification. But not all of them, especially the trace minerals.

If your area has good water, just let it sit overnight to get rid of the chlorine smell and taste. Or drink some purified water with a cup of dirt.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
            RE: Bottled Water drying up Wed, 06/18/08 8:31 AM (permalink)
            There was an article in the news this morning on that same subject.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,368241,00.html

MiamiDon

RE: Bottled Water drying up Wed, 06/18/08 9:25 AM (permalink)
              I buy bottled water sometimes because so many down-scale restaurants do not have any beverages without either caffiene or sugar (or both).

We never use it at home, except for post-hurricane consumption.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3708
                RE: Bottled Water drying up Wed, 06/18/08 9:50 AM (permalink)
                Frankly, I look at this development as though I were working in an old coal mine and noticed that the canaries had died. Several months ago Ben Bernanke and the Federal Reserve "created" hundreds of billions in credit availability which the banking system is methodically turning into a trillion or so worth of monetary expansion.

As a result a tsunami of inflation will be hitting us as surely as the Indonesian tsunami hit the east coast of Africa; it'll just take a little time. By this time next year - regardless of the election result - the "misery index" will be "Carteresque".

The truly amusing aspect of this is that the media will blame anything or everything but the Fed. In so doing they will once again emulate that aboriginal tribe that has yet to associate intercourse with childbirth!

Hold on, folks. Sell Starbucks short!

firecommander3565

• Total Posts: 505
                  RE: Bottled Water drying up Wed, 06/18/08 9:54 AM (permalink)
                  In Chicago, they imposed a 5 cent tax on every bottle. This was to help reduce waste. Now I just buy my water outside the city limits, 3 cases at a time saving $3.60... plus taxes are lower in the susburs as well.

Bottled water is better than a pop/soda, we add a little lemoade to it to get our kids to stay away from pop.

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
                    RE: Bottled Water drying up Wed, 06/18/08 10:03 AM (permalink)
                    My tap water is full of chlorine you can smell it, I cook with it but never drink it straight from the tap.
                    We drink Nestle Pure Life bottled.

MetroplexJim

RE: Bottled Water drying up Wed, 06/18/08 11:46 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by fabulousoyster

My tap water is full of chlorine you can smell it, I cook with it but never drink it straight from the tap.
                      We drink Nestle Pure Life bottled.

Fill a vented pitcher from the tap and the chlorine taste & smell will be gone in a few hours.

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1938
                        RE: Bottled Water drying up Wed, 06/18/08 12:05 PM (permalink)
                        I've bought bottled water for years, but am buying a WaterWise distiller. It'll save me at least $284 a year and eliminate the empty bottles. Cheers.

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
                          RE: Bottled Water drying up Wed, 06/18/08 4:25 PM (permalink)
                          Our refrig. filters our water even though our County has some of the best in the country (they've won awards in the national contest), but we still filter the tap water. You'd be surprised at the amount of gunk in the filter after six months. I think most of it is lodged in the pipes. Anyway it is cheaper than buying bottled water. I also think that's the reason we have a drought here in the South - have you ever seen the amount of bottled water residing on the shelves at every store?

Twinwillow

RE: Bottled Water drying up Wed, 06/18/08 4:56 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by firecommander3565

In Chicago, they imposed a 5 cent tax on every bottle. This was to help reduce waste. Now I just buy my water outside the city limits, 3 cases at a time saving $3.60... plus taxes are lower in the susburs as well.

Bottled water is better than a pop/soda, we add a little lemoade to it to get our kids to stay away from pop.

I commend your efforts. However, I'm curious. With gasoline prices as they are, does the increased miles you travel warrant these trips to buy water?

Twinwillow

RE: Bottled Water drying up Wed, 06/18/08 5:03 PM (permalink)
                              I have an under sink quad filter reverse osmosis system that filters and purifies my drinking water at home. However, click on the link to see how easily we solved our tap water problem at our office.
                              http://www.filterwater.com/pc-46-12-countertop-water-filter-no-cartridge.aspx

Big Ugly Mich

• Total Posts: 1302
                                RE: Bottled Water drying up Wed, 06/18/08 5:39 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by twinwillow
                                Jim, I believe it's been proven that "hard" water is beneficial to your health. Something to do with the calcium. Can anyone back me up on this. I've always been led to believe, the "harder" the water, the better it is for you.
                                Mixed bag. The positive ion of the salts in hard water is iron, potassium, calcium, or other beneficial minerals, but the negative is usually chlorine. Softening water adds sodium and more chlorine, so I won't drink softened water.

Bottled water is often from someone else's tap, so I avoid it.

allyk

• Total Posts: 154
                                  RE: Bottled Water drying up Wed, 06/18/08 5:40 PM (permalink)
                                  I did use tap water, but I moved last year, and the local water in my town is horrible. I have a cooler service now, and my cooler dispenses hot and cold. I also take water to work because my the water is even worse there. When it comes out of the tap it's either yellow or brown. It's undrinkable and filters don't help.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6230
                                    RE: Bottled Water drying up Wed, 06/18/08 8:28 PM (permalink)
                                    Our water from our little 1,500 community comes from a deep, deep well from the land of sky blue waters (an old Hamm's beer commercial). The taste to me is pure compared to other waters I've tasted. We drank from the tap but with our new refrigerator filtered water and ice cube dispenser it is even better. Other than beer and coffee, I only drink water, no carbonated soft drinks. When we travel in our campervan we fill our 26 gallon water tank with a clean garden hose we carry in the camper but we also fill several containers with our filtered water for drinking and coffee. On the road we each keep a re-usable water bottle handy and cool it down in our refrigerator so there is no need to buy any bottled water.

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2163
                                      RE: Bottled Water drying up Thu, 06/19/08 7:24 PM (permalink)
                                      I have used end-of-faucet water filters for the last 25 years. While NYC tap water is good, I was picking up a lot of sediment from the ancient local water pipes.

I can't blame people who live in areas with terrible-tasting public water supplies. However, for the last generation the restaurant industry has been peddling bottled water to boost income. Also, people fell for the slick advertising of brands like Perrier. Of course, benzene was found in Perrier in 1990, leading to a worldwide recall of the contaminated product.

I would like to suggest that people really determine how lousy their water supply is before buying bottled water.

MetroplexJim

RE: Bottled Water drying up Fri, 06/20/08 9:31 AM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by David_NYC

I have used end-of-faucet water filters for the last 25 years. While NYC tap water is good, I was picking up a lot of sediment from the ancient local water pipes.

I can't blame people who live in areas with terrible-tasting public water supplies. However, for the last generation the restaurant industry has been peddling bottled water to boost income. Also, people fell for the slick advertising of brands like Perrier. Of course, benzene was found in Perrier in 1990, leading to a worldwide recall of the contaminated product.

I would like to suggest that people really determine how lousy their water supply is before buying bottled water.

NYC has the best tap water I've ever tasted. I remember a while back some entrepreneur botted it and marketed it as "New York City Tap Water"!

The City's water system is a largely unappreciated marvel of engineering and architecture. Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_water_supply_system

BTW: the new water tunnel #3 was featured in Die Hard 3.

exsquidao

• Total Posts: 409
                                          RE: Bottled Water drying up Fri, 06/20/08 9:49 AM (permalink)
                                          We have a home water delievery contract, 3 5 gal. bottles and three cases of the plastic bottles that I drink at home and take to work, the tap where I live really tastes bad, we do not throw the individual bottles in the trash but in the bi-weekly recycle pick up.

Big Ugly Mich

• Total Posts: 1302
                                            RE: Bottled Water drying up Mon, 07/21/08 3:10 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by Twinwillow
                                            That depends. Minerals like lead can make water hard, but for the most part, you get iron and calcium, both of which can cause kidney stones, but are necessary, too.

At church, the water has a rather, uh, de-stink-tive maloderousness, so they buy bottles of water. Most of the bottles are from someone else's tap. In the Navy, we literally used bleach in the drinking water, and it didn't kill me. Yet.

Robearjr

• Total Posts: 1102
                                              RE: Bottled Water drying up Mon, 07/21/08 7:46 PM (permalink)
                                              I buy the bottled stuff as my Baltimore city water is really bad, although the city claims otherwise.

I'm trying to buy more gallon jugs instead of single serve bottles now, mostly because of the cost savings. My wife, however, has a fondness for the individual Fiji waters. Fiji water is probably the most expensive of the mass marketed waters, and considering it is shipped from Fiji, it is considered the least environmentally friendly water.

spud

• Total Posts: 273
                                                RE: Bottled Water drying up Mon, 07/21/08 8:09 PM (permalink)
                                                My customers will absolutely SPAZZ if I dont have cold bottled water for them. Its all about the convenience of it. At an event you can easily sell bottled waters YOU PAID .28 FOR (gotta be super cold) for $4 to $5 and people will all but shake your hand and kiss you on the cheek. Normal day to day I charge a buck and still turn a good profit.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15076
                                                  • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                                  RE: Bottled Water drying up Mon, 07/21/08 8:10 PM (permalink)

Our tap water comes from wells located near the Ohio River, downstream from Louisville. It doesn't taste too bad most of the time. However, with my fine sense of taste, and keen color-discrimination vision, I can discern when Buffetbuster (Pittsburg), TJ Jackson (Cincinnati) or Cajun King (Southeast Indiana) are at home and enjoying more than the average amount of Adult Beverages !

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17855
                                                    RE: Bottled Water drying up Mon, 07/21/08 9:06 PM (permalink)
                                                    I don't drink water that doesn't come right out of a tap -- unless, of course, I'm camping.

C Turner Joy

• Total Posts: 159
                                                      RE: Bottled Water drying up Mon, 07/21/08 9:54 PM (permalink)
                                                      My water tastes like it comes out of a hose. And while that was great when I was a kid dying of thirst after playing in the hot sun all day, now, not so much. This city is supposed to have great water. I wonder why I have hose water?

Anyway, I buy bottled water.

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                                                        RE: Bottled Water drying up Tue, 07/22/08 8:24 AM (permalink)
                                                        I did spring for the Brita water pitcher with a couple of filter cartridges.
                                                        The big difference for me is the ammount of water I'm now consuming at home.
                                                        It's so handy having it ice cold on my refrigerator door that I find I'm drinking a lot more water than I use to.
                                                        Filters can become expensive, but I found a way around that.
                                                        So overall a good investment and now I just but the occaisonal cheap case of water for giveaways. Chow Jim

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3095
                                                          • Location: Milwaukee, WI
                                                          RE: Bottled Water drying up Tue, 07/22/08 8:54 AM (permalink)
                                                          Since our 1993 local bout with Cryptosporidium, Milwaukee's water is second to none. Mrs MFL buys a case of bottled water a year to take while vacationing but otherwise I drink only our tap water.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6086
                                                            • Location: brick, NJ
                                                            RE: Bottled Water drying up Tue, 07/22/08 9:20 AM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by Jimeats

I did spring for the Brita water pitcher with a couple of filter cartridges.
                                                            The big difference for me is the ammount of water I'm now consuming at home.
                                                            It's so handy having it ice cold on my refrigerator door that I find I'm drinking a lot more water than I use to.
                                                            Filters can become expensive, but I found a way around that.
                                                            So overall a good investment and now I just but the occaisonal cheap case of water for giveaways. Chow Jim

What's "the way around that"??

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 36

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com