B-o-u-d-i-n

Author
jpatweb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 232
2003/06/04 15:50:37 (permalink)

B-o-u-d-i-n

I watched a good part of last week’s National Spelling Bee when it was rerun on ESPN2 over the weekend. Fascinating and compelling in a way that no professional sporting event can come close to matching. Anyway, in one of the later rounds, a 9-year-old contestant, clearly the sentimental favorite for anyone in attendance or watching on the tube, got tripped up on the word “boudin,” which narrowed the field down to two and made way for a winner to emerge a few rounds later. The kid gave the spelling as “boudane,” which was how it was pronounced. I’m not ashamed to admit that it was the only word I had even a vague familiarity with (in meaning only – I misspelled it as well) from about halfway through the event through to the end.

The rules of the event allow the judges to define the word, give its language of origin, use it in a sentence, and state any other pronunciations it may have. I might have misheard the judges, but the definition given for the word was not that it was a sausage per se but rather a mixture of spices and other food ingredients, without any intended form. I've since looked in a few dictionaries and haven't seen anything like that, just that it is a sausage.

14 Replies Related Threads

Cosmos
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: B-o-u-d-i-n 2003/06/05 07:54:50 (permalink)
    Thanks, I knew how to spell it, but not how to pronounce it. I believe its French origin was not originally cased as sausage. The recipe I have from Bruce Aidell involves cooked pork and rice with spices, the casing allows you to heat it all together in something like a broth or wine or beer. Many times the casing is dicarded once its done and served loose. I think it makes a great breakfast with eggs.
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1109
    RE: B-o-u-d-i-n 2003/06/05 09:42:12 (permalink)
    If that's how the judges pronounced it. They mispronounced it. Remember it has a French origin, therefor the final n would be silent. Think boo dan (the n being dropped) Not with a long a as in dane.
    Stogie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: B-o-u-d-i-n 2003/06/05 10:35:42 (permalink)
    Boudin...

ocdreamer is correct on how to pronounce and Cosmos is correct on its origins...NOT a sausage.

However, it has come to be known as a sausage and is served in casings at most joints.

I make all my own sausages and use NO casings..including my boudin.

Here is a traditional recipe from the bayou. If any of you are interested in how to make sausages WITHOUT casings, give me a shout...I wrote an article on the technique.

There are both red and white boudin's. This is for a white...the most popular. You can tell the French connection by the spices they use.

Boudin' Blanc

2 1/2 pound(s) Pork butt
    2 1/2 pound(s) Chicken, ground
    2 1/2 teaspoon(s) Kosher (coarse) salt
    2 1/2 tablespoon(s) White pepper
    2 1/2 cup(s) Onion(s), minced
    4 tablespoon(s) Butter
    2 Egg(s)
    1/4 bunch Parsely, fresh
    1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon Ginger
    1/8 teaspoon Cloves
    1/8 teaspoon Cinnamon
    2 1/2 cup(s) Rice, cooked

PREPARATION:
    Melt butter and saute onions.

Mix eggs and spices.

Combine onions, parsley and rice with meats.

Mix in eggs and spices.

Shape into links and cook.

garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: B-o-u-d-i-n 2003/08/16 09:48:39 (permalink)
    boudin is the food of God's and coon-asses(an affectionate term for native Louisianna folk)......two main varieties are usually available, meat and seafood(actually crawfish)....a meal in itself and available in most road stops throughout the state
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: B-o-u-d-i-n 2003/08/16 12:16:32 (permalink)
    I've heard it pronounced both ways by Cajuns. As far as contents go, it often includes liver, which I loathe; otherwise I love it. Also, most recipes I've seen call for scallions, including the green part.

Around here (Central LA) it's often served at festivals as a street food and thus encased: you wrap a napkin around it & eat as you walk. It is, however, so soft that you basically suck it out of the casing.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: B-o-u-d-i-n 2003/08/17 00:49:42 (permalink)
    ocdreamr is right on the French pronunciation, it is boo-dahn (with the silent "n"). I lived in the north of France for 4 years and the funny thing was we only ate boudin blanc on Christmas Eve. It was 95% chicken and 5% pork for the meat composition. No casings. The homemade ones were poached like a quenelle and were very delicious. The ones bought at the boucherie had a "sausage shape" so I think they made them with casings and poached them, then removed the casing. Another specialty sausage from the North of France is andouillette and andouille. Basically they are pigs' stomach (tripe) and pigs' intestines, highly seasoned and rolled together and put into casings. You have to acquire a taste for these bad larrys but when you do.........you're hooked. Same with boudin rouge, made with blood....and several other varieties of blood-type sausages made in Europe.
    The American/Louisiana versions of these sausages differ greatly from their origins...however, whether you're in a little town in LA or a little town in France, the sausages are always good, maybe different ingredients through interpretation, but good nevertheless. Laissez le bon temps roulez.
    Marsh
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: B-o-u-d-i-n 2003/10/23 10:03:58 (permalink)
    Here in Beaumont the common spelling is Boudain, used by Zummo's, DJ's, and Boutte's, points East like Lake Charles, people spell it the original French way Boudin. Its dirty rice in a casing, ground pork butts, with onion, garlic, celery, bell pepper, green onions, and parsley. And of course spices salt, pepper, and cayenne, to taste. Newer versions for Lent, or other times of the year use crawfish or shrimp etouffee for the dressing.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: B-o-u-d-i-n 2003/10/23 10:42:37 (permalink)
    Best eaten with saltines and tabasco, YUM!
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: B-o-u-d-i-n 2003/10/23 12:33:14 (permalink)
    Cajun 7 course meal: A link of Boudin and a 6 pack.
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: B-o-u-d-i-n 2003/10/23 12:45:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hillbilly

Cajun 7 course meal: A link of Boudin and a 6 pack.

If it is a truly Cajun meal you will need to be drinking those silly 10oz. cans of beer, which, as far as I can tell are only sold on the eastern shore in Maryland and in extreme southern louisiana. Even when I worked with A-B no one could ever explain the reasoning for this odd package.;
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: B-o-u-d-i-n 2003/11/03 18:56:13 (permalink)
    I've never tried the Cajun version, but I've always had boudin rouge, the blood pudding. Once I bought it from a roadside shack where it was sold to me frozen in a square aluminum foil tin with a top. I baked it and it was pretty good.
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: B-o-u-d-i-n 2004/07/06 13:03:30 (permalink)
    Thought I'd dredge this thread up for the benefit of the guy who started the new thread....
    ChiliDog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: B-o-u-d-i-n 2004/07/06 15:26:53 (permalink)
    Wait a minute! Ther was a "Spelling Bee" televised on ESPN? The "Sports Chanel"? Was this full contact spelling?
    Cupcake
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: B-o-u-d-i-n 2004/07/08 12:41:42 (permalink)
    boudain is best stuffed in the side of a chicken breast or in a thick cut pork chop and baked ... Talk about slap yo momma!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1