Boudin!

Author
cy_dugas
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 199
2008/08/03 18:56:12 (permalink)

Boudin!

After finishing a couple of links of my favorite boudin (T-Boys in Mamou) I got to thinking about good boudin and old memories.

As a child my mom and dad both worked long days and I was raised by Aggie, a middle aged lady from an old school Cajun family. My grandfather raised a pig every year (Oinkie was the name of the one I most remember.) We lived on his property and the pig was raised near his 15 acre cattle farm. I'd go with him daily to slop the pig and, when he was big enough, Aggie butchered him. I can remember her dispatching him (could go into details, but won't), tying him by the hind legs and hoisting him into a tree, bleeding him and collecting the blood, and butchering. She started early, and by the time mom and dad got home we had a ton of meat and the makings for the best boudin ever.

I don't remember the details of her making it, but her "red" boudin was the best I've ever eaten. We ate it warm and fresh with saltines and soft white bread. My dad still talks about what a treat this was.

I haven't been able to find red boudin recently. While I still enjoy white boudin (try T-Boys and Earl's in Lafayette), I wish I could have some of Aggie's again.

cy

18 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Boudin! 2008/08/03 19:52:28 (permalink)
    At first I thought it was blood sausage, which it is, but the creole version boudin noir, not the eastern European as I was thinking.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boudin
    Now I wonder if this is a spicier version of the blood sausage I grew up on? Seems for the most part they're the same.
    (Blood Sausage: http://www.usinger.com/search.php?display_alacarte=true&search2=blood%20sausage&beef=&cartpart=)
    cy_dugas
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Boudin! 2008/08/03 20:01:37 (permalink)
    I guess red boudin is a version of blood sausage. I've never eaten any other type of blood sausage (although I want to!) so I don't know what fillers, if any, are in them.

As with all boudin I know of, red boudin contains pork (usually small pieces of leftovers & trimmings), an ample amount of rice, seasonings, and blood. I really wish I knew how Aggie made it, but I was so young that all I can remember is the old hand cranked meat grinder and several pots simmering at once. I do remember Maw supplying fresh green onions (scallions) when she made it.

Did I mention that cracklin's were also on the menu that day????

cy

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Boudin! 2008/08/04 00:01:32 (permalink)
    When my aunt used to make it, instead of rice, she used barley.
    Trask
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Boudin! 2008/08/05 18:07:59 (permalink)
    I make my own white boudin or Boudin Blanc but have not yet tried the red variety. The eastern european stuff I had on the east coast (kishka)had a barely filler and the stuff I get on the west coast near Portland has a kasha (buckwheat) filler. Each are equally good.
    exsquidao
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 409
    RE: Boudin! 2008/08/05 18:24:28 (permalink)
    Can I say that I get very confused by these posts that to me, say I used to have "this" and everyone in the family enjoyed "it" and we had "it" all the time or at at a certain time of year, where are the rest of the people that enjoyed this? is there no one left in your (generically speaking) family that remembers as well as you and how does an apparently "family" recipe get so lost that you (again generically speaking) have to go to a website to find something that maybe, hopefully, family, friends and or neighbors might serve you better in your quest.
    uncledaveyo
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Boudin! 2008/08/05 18:44:08 (permalink)
    Yeah that was helpful.
    cy_dugas
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Boudin! 2008/08/05 18:55:21 (permalink)
    I am sorry if I didn't make it clear who enjoyed the red boudin Aggie made or an exact recipe.

After the boudin was made from the whole hog there were several dozen links or more. The owner of the pig (in this case my grandfather) gave 1/4 of the meat to the Aggie (the person who cooked and prepared the hog and this included both boudin and pork meat) and kept about 1/4 for himself. The other half (or maybe a little less, although we never really measured, was given or sold to family members or close friends. These included aunts, uncles, cousins and neighbors. My grandfather never really tried to make a profit. He really only tried to make back what he had spent. Since others also shared in the bounty and butchered on their own, it was, and maybe still is, custom to provide for those around you with hopes that they will too.

I'm also sorry if this seems to be a boring or non-roadfood topic. I enjoy talking about my own "roadfood" experiences and maybe I start topics which do not belong in this website.

cy
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3736
    RE: Boudin! 2008/08/05 19:07:03 (permalink)
    I have enjoyed reading this very much. My grandmother used to make blood sausage with barley. For some reason, I never realized that it is much the same as red boudin. It brought back memories of my little sister and me watching her make it (and not really happy about having to eat it) and then when we did sit down to eat it, we loved it. Thanks for bringing back these memories
    cy_dugas
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Boudin! 2008/08/05 19:19:38 (permalink)
    Thank you.

Because of this site I realize that many of the foods I grew up on have variations in other parts of the country (or world, for that matter!) that have to do with the availability of resources. I never would have thought of barley since it is not present, or even for the most part non-existent in south Louisiana. But in looking at recipes that y'all have talked about, it really is the same - using what seems to be useless in a way to extend the bounty of what we have.

cy
    cy_dugas
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Boudin! 2008/10/30 18:35:59 (permalink)
    It's been a while, so I was wondering if anyone had come across some decent boudin lately.

I've been having a craving, so I'm defrosting a pack of T-Boys' as we speak. It's cooling off in south LA (40 degrees last night) and nothing warms me up better than a spicy link of boudin on plain white bread, although my wife and kids want gumbo.

I wish I could get hold of some good red boudin. Havn't had it in years!

cy
    Wabbit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 477
    RE: Boudin! 2008/10/30 20:15:06 (permalink)
    Have you tried Heberts? They have Boudin and they ship overnight. Hebertsmeats.com Good luck!
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6394
    RE: Boudin! 2008/11/03 18:43:57 (permalink)
    Cy

Don't know if you know about this website:

http://www.boudinlink.com/

I use it all the time to keep track of Boudin, and who is making the best.

cy_dugas
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Boudin! 2008/11/05 19:44:33 (permalink)
    www.boudinlink.com is one of my favorite sites, and I agree with about 80% of their ratings! A wonderful link or four of boudin is an amazing meal, especially with a couple of beers. My wife happens to know the fellows who run the site, and she agrees with them for the most part (and being from Mamou, home of the best boudin in the world, she should know!)

I wish more people had access to LA's great sausages (andouille, chaurice, boudin, and chaudin in the running). I think maybe we'd get a little more love in the smoked meat/sausage category.

cy

Curbside Grill
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3916
    RE: Boudin! 2008/11/06 02:05:20 (permalink)
    Stop it already, cannot go there for a while to get boudin. Love it and miss my trips to LA. Try to create dishes from there but missing something. Tried ordering over the internet and when I recieve the product just makes me wish I was there even more. any sausage from that region makes my mouth water.
    jbs780
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: Boudin! 2009/02/22 16:11:01 (permalink)
    Cy...try the Eunice Superette Slaughterhouse...in Eunice...west side...outskirts of town...just down the road from Eunice High.

Good boudin there. 

Also...seems like I recall hearing that blood boudin is illegal now.  Don't know why...just what I've heard.
    douginvirginia
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Boudin! 2009/02/23 07:31:14 (permalink)
    Here's another site devoted to boudin:

http://www.southernboudintrail.com/

The oral histories interviews are especially interesting.
    Cajun man
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 85
    Re:Boudin! 2009/05/07 19:57:03 (permalink)
    Boudin, Boudin, Boudin!  Man oh man - ain't this the best?  Growing up as a kid in St Martinville, LA - you don't know how many times that's what I'd have for breakfast.  2 links of Comeaux's Boudin and a 1/2 pint of milk!  What people don't realize outside of Louisiana (South Louisiana specifically) is every lil mom & pop grocery store on every street corner usually had a rice put cooker behind the counter/register and they ALL sold fresh hot boudin!  I have traveled all over the US and now live in Ohio.  People talk about good food here and good food there....in South LA every lil mom & pop place would knock your socks off cause the food was so good!  If it wasn't merely good boudin and gratons (cracklins for you yankees) then it was a fried shrimp poboy or a cup of red beas & rice!  Damn were we spoiled!  And Cy - are we related - cause I'm a Dugas too!
    waydeg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 444
    RE: Boudin! 2009/05/10 11:10:00 (permalink)
    CajunKing

Cy

Don't know if you know about this website:

http://www.boudinlink.com/

I use it all the time to keep track of Boudin, and who is making the best.

I just discovered this link and am ordering several brands to try on my cart - my cajun dog would be boudin on a french roll with Pick-a Pepper sauce. Really don't need anything else on the link. Is Pick-a-Pepper typical in Southern LA?? 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1