Bouillabaisse

Author
Roy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
2003/11/03 18:06:17 (permalink)

Bouillabaisse

Does anyone know of any restaurants in New England that serve a great, or at least very good bouillabaise.
There is frequently an argument whether the dish should contain fennel. My opinion is that it should be present in very small quantities or not at all.
Any suggestions for locations to try it where it is a specialty would be appreciated.

9 Replies Related Threads

Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: Bouillabaisse 2003/11/03 18:19:47 (permalink)
    I am sorry I do not know much about soup on New England, but I bet someone here does.

I just wanted to comment on how much I enjoy seeing Bouillabaise stuck in between "favorite hog parts" and "chicken fried steak". What a diverse little group we are

edited because I am too stupid to spell bouillabaise" />
    KokomoJoe
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 264
    RE: Bouillabaisse 2003/11/03 19:52:16 (permalink)
    Roy: In Provincetown MA there is a restaurant called "Napi's"! The bouliabase is the BEST!!! So is everything else! If you're really going to go there I'll send more details! Happy eating! KokomoJoe
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Bouillabaisse 2003/11/03 21:27:55 (permalink)
    For what it's worth, James Beard does not include fennel in his bouillabaise, but he does include it in what he calls " Aigo-sau", a south of France fish soup similar to Bouillabaise . I cant find his
    aigo-sau in any other of my cook books. Makes me wonder what that would translate to in English?
    M&M
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Bouillabaisse 2003/11/03 22:33:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

For what it's worth, James Beard does not include fennel in his bouillabaise, but he does include it in what he calls " Aigo-sau", a south of France fish soup similar to Bouillabaise . I cant find his
    aigo-sau in any other of my cook books. Makes me wonder what that would translate to in English?

Accoding to the google search I did, egg soup. I couldn't get the url to work so I copied the text and pasted below.

aïgo sau of iou (egg soup)

This soup is called soup with egg (literal translation of aigo-sau of iou) or one-eyed bouillabaisse. I propose here a receipt slightly different from that given traditionally.

ingredients for 4 people:
    3 leeks, 3 average onions, 8 cloves of garlic, some chicken ornaments, 2 tomatos wall, 4 eggs, 8 sections of farmhouse bread, 2 sheets of bay-tree, parsley, salt, pepper, olive oil

receipt:
    Wash vegetables. Peel and émincez onions and the white of leek. Clean, épépinez and crush tomatos. In a pot put olive oil; make sweat onions then the leeks and then the tomatos. Reserve.

Make return slightly the poultry ornaments. Put in a pot 2 liters of water and the poultry then carry to boiling. Foam. Add the bay-tree, the vegetables, pepper, salt, leave mijoter until complete cooking, (the vegetables must be quite tender). Add parsley, rectify the seasoning.
    Peel and dégermez garlic then cross out of discs and make gild in olive oil.
    Pass the bubble and pour on well gilded garlic.

Poach eggs at the last time in soup with very soft fire during 3 minutes. At the time of being used lay out in each plate a section as bread gilded with the furnace; place poached egg above and largely sprinkle bubble.

return
    Roy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: Bouillabaisse 2003/11/03 23:25:28 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info on Napi's KokomoJoe. Looked at the menu on their web site and it looks like a definite must try. Will be there in the spring. If you have had the bouillabaisse, please reply as to whether it is of the fennel laden type.
    If they know how to do seafood right anywhere, P'town should be one of the places.
    Mattakeese Wharf in Barnstable does a very respectable rendition of the dish.....probably the best I have found on the Cape
    KokomoJoe
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 264
    RE: Bouillabaisse 2003/11/04 06:44:15 (permalink)
    Roy: I don't recall fennel at all in the bouliabase at Napi's and neither does hubby! In fact we can't remember a fennel flavor in ANY bouliabase we've had anywhere! But...maybe that's the trick...to have that subtle "indescribable" flavor in something and not know what it is but you know it shuld be there! Hope I'm making sense here! LOL Happy eating! KokomoJoe
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Bouillabaisse 2003/11/04 10:10:29 (permalink)
    M&M: Would you please provide a translation of that recipe?
    M&M
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Bouillabaisse 2003/11/04 11:29:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

M&M: Would you please provide a translation of that recipe?

Sorry, that's the best I can do. I stuck aigosau into Google and came up with a French site which my Bill Gates special purported to translate and that was it.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7052
    RE: Bouillabaisse 2003/11/04 12:27:45 (permalink)
    Bill Gates can't translate for BEANS!! That's the craziest receipt j'ai ever vu.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1