The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Bourbon Trail

mousec

• Total Posts: 298
Bourbon Trail Wed, 06/30/10 11:50 AM (permalink)
My wife will be flying from Chicago to Naples and then taking a roadtrip that will take her through Indianpolis, Chicago, Montague, MI, Toeldo, Mammoth Cave and then back to Naples. Seeing how I cannot go with her and the fact that I will be "financing" the trip I felt that a little gift from the road should be in-store from me.

I gave it a bit of thought and decided that a nice of bourbon would make a wonderful gift. Question, for the board. Are there any distillerys not far off of the road where she could purchase her loving husband a nice botle of whiskey? She will be comding from Toledo and therefore I have her mapped using I-71 and I-65 thorugh KY.

Second question, can you acutally purchase bourbon directly from the distilleries?

Third quesiton, any favorite bottles that I should ask her to be on the look out for? I am not much of a bourbon drinker (I do fine with Jim Beam) but would like to begin getting more familar with the spirit as many of my friends are bourbon drinkers.

Thanks...

rumaki

• Total Posts: 967
    Re:Bourbon Trail Wed, 06/30/10 12:41 PM (permalink)
    With that routing, I think the most convenient distilleries would be Jim Beam or Heaven Hill.  I've never been to either one.  

Makers Mark in Loretto is well worth a visit, but it will involve a detour.

My personal favorite is the Woodford Reserve distillery, but that's in Versailles, near Lexington.  

This may help: http://kybourbontrail.com/index.php/guide/

And yes, you can buy bourbon at the distillery -- most of them, anyway.
    <message edited by rumaki on Wed, 06/30/10 12:43 PM>

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
      • Roadfood Insider
      Re:Bourbon Trail Wed, 06/30/10 1:42 PM (permalink)
      Jim Beam is within a mile of I-65 between L-ville and E-town. All the others will require a ride off that interstate to get there. Heavens Hill has a great "Bourbon Heritage Center" Gift Shop and Tasting room'. It is about 25 minutes off the Interstate. Worth a side trip for the tour and info...but just to buy a bottle go to Liquor Barn or any other major booze store in Louisville. prices will be lower than at the "maker" anyway. Liquor Barn has three outlets in L-ville, one is within two minutes of I-64 at Hurstbornne Lane exit.

Get one to remember? I will second the Woodford Reserve or Knob Creek for a 'local' favorite. Makers has come out (Yesterday) with a new (added age) "Maker's 46". I haven't tried it yet, but it is sure to command a premium price (at least for awhile). For an attractive display bottle of good Bourbon, consider Buffalo Trace.

Any of these and many others are available at the outlet liquor stores....and at Costco, here in L-ville for much less than at the distilleries.

mousec

• Total Posts: 298
        Re:Bourbon Trail Wed, 06/30/10 4:47 PM (permalink)
        Great information...thanks!

seafarer john

Re:Bourbon Trail Fri, 11/5/10 8:06 AM (permalink)
          I'm postng here because my question has to do with Bourbon. 

My dear wife brought me a bottle of Jeremiah Weed Blended Bourbon yesterday.I note it is bottled in Norwalk Connecticut by "...by that original southern gentleman...". Makes me wonder.

I tasted it and it's not bad, not great. My question is just what exactly is "blended bourbon?

Cheers, John 

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
            Re:Bourbon Trail Fri, 11/5/10 12:08 PM (permalink)
            John,
              Blended Bourbon is just that. It may contain a number of different ages or formula liquid distilled spirits and in some cases non-bourbon spirits or flavoring.
            My Step-father drank J W DANT a bargain-priced blended Bourbon. 80 proof. It was OK, but he would comment on the inconsistent 'taste' of certain bottles when compared together. He was a light drinker, so a bottle would last several months (one drink with or after dinner).
              I don't make any claim to having a fine-tuned taste ability, but I did notice the difference in the Single-Malt (Glenfiddish) and the blended (Chivas..) Scotches!  With Bourbon it is much the same. I like Knob Creek and Buffalo Trace. The original Maker's Mark is good also, but the new Maker's 46 is undrinkable to me. That extra-woody flavor they added to make it really is noticable.  I keep a bottle of Barton's Blend around to give TTM and Poverty Pete happy when they appear on my doorstep...but I don't drink it myself !!

seafarer john

Re:Bourbon Trail Fri, 11/5/10 2:40 PM (permalink)
               Thanks, Al : So, the blend may contain grain neutral spirits, rye, or any combination of rot-gut corn whiskey - or it may be all made up of good or better bourbons, depending on what's available and at what price, to make up any given bottle. 

Well, I guess I'll have to save this bottle just in case PP or TM ever find their way to New Paltz.

Cheers, John 

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                Re:Bourbon Trail Fri, 11/5/10 3:15 PM (permalink)
                I didn't mean to make it sound like each bottle might be a 'different flavor', more like each 50,000 gallon batch might differ in recipe from another 50,000 gallon batch!

BTW I have from January 1st to March 1st to claim a bottle out of my barrel/batch of Maker's Mark as the 9th aniversary of our registering with them is coming due. Since that is a rather long time span, One can assume that a 'Batch' is quite a bit larger in volume than a single barrel.

They do offer to sell me the bottled contents of "MY" barrel (53 gallons) for about $4k.  but the barrel does not go with it.  Too bad, as I won't spring for that many bottles of MM, but I would love to have a vertically- placed Whiskey Barrel on the 'island' in my kitchen with a fancy pull-tap on it.  What a great conversation piece in a good Roadfood Home !!!

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  Re:Bourbon Trail Fri, 12/3/10 4:31 PM (permalink)
                  mayor al

I didn't mean to make it sound like each bottle might be a 'different flavor', more like each 50,000 gallon batch might differ in recipe from another 50,000 gallon batch!

BTW I have from January 1st to March 1st to claim a bottle out of my barrel/batch of Maker's Mark as the 9th aniversary of our registering with them is coming due. Since that is a rather long time span, One can assume that a 'Batch' is quite a bit larger in volume than a single barrel.

They do offer to sell me the bottled contents of "MY" barrel (53 gallons) for about $4k.  but the barrel does not go with it.  Too bad, as I won't spring for that many bottles of MM, but I would love to have a vertically- placed Whiskey Barrel on the 'island' in my kitchen with a fancy pull-tap on it.  What a great conversation piece in a good Roadfood Home !!!

Oh gee Al,

I was thinking you could gift EVERYONE a bottle from your barrell. 

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3572
                    Re:Bourbon Trail Fri, 12/3/10 11:40 PM (permalink)
                    And who says the internet doesn't influence people?

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      Re:Bourbon Trail Sun, 03/6/11 12:28 AM (permalink)
                      After trying several different "premium" bourbons I've settled on Maker's Mark. I too now have a barrel with my name on it. Hummm. 4k for the barrel, that sure would last me a lifetime. As I drink about 2 shots every 2 weeks. The last 5th I bought lasted a year. I replaced it with a qt.

I know, I know 1 liter...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com