Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Bourbon

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 58
MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
  • Roadfood Insider
Bourbon Fri, 09/26/08 2:03 AM (permalink)
Up until about 3 years ago I had never cared for any of the dark liquors, whiskeys, how ever you care to spell it.

But then I won a half pint of Bourbon as a door prize at the last crab fest held in Baltimore, Md. brought by Al and Janet. So I tried it and found that I had gotten old enough to enjoy it.

At some time after finishing that bottle I bought another bottle. Which my youngest daughter's BF drank for me, that no good so and so. So then I held a discussion here with Al and a few others and it was recommended that I try Knob Creek. Which I did and I liked it even better.

So last night I was at the liquor store to stock up the liquor cabinet, I got a bonus check this week and was feeling flush. A liquor distributor was there and we got to talkiing. He made several suggestions of different brands to try of different types of booze.

One of his suggestions based on my stated like of Knob Creek was for Woodford Reserve. So I bought 2 minis of that and tried them at home last night on the rocks. It was very tasty and smooth. So I guess when the fifth of Knob Creek runs out I'll buy this instead.

Yes I know, they haven't been fifths or half pints for 20+ years but I do still call them that. I don't know why booze is metric while everything else we use is English.

As for stocking up I bought a half-gallon each of Bombay Saphire, Patron silver and I forget the name of the vodka he recommended. He said it was very close to Grey Goose but half the price. Vodka is the only booze I'm not real fussy about.

He did make some Scotch recommends but the store didn't have any small bottles of those for me to try. I don't know if I like Scotch so i'm not going to buy a big bottle until I find out.

Cheers ya'all.

Oh, I did buy my oldest a 50ml mini of Patron as a gag gift. :)

If you like tequila, don't try Patron. It is expensive and very tasty. You won't want to go back to Cuervo ever again. Then you'll be cussing me because of the price. It makes the BEST Margarita's I've ever had.

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1791
    RE: Bourbon Fri, 09/26/08 7:52 AM (permalink)
    I'm not much for hard liquor at all, except high end tequilla (which is very smooth, unlike the bottom end), and very peaty scotch.

And I'm all for the metric system. It's so much easier to use than the antiquated ad-hoc system we currently use.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15069
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: Bourbon Fri, 09/26/08 8:15 AM (permalink)

I like Knob Creek, but Woodford Reserve is fine and Buffalo Trace does a fine Bourbon also.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3706
        RE: Bourbon Fri, 09/26/08 8:32 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by MikeS.
        Yes I know, they haven't been fifths or half pints for 20+ years but I do still call them that. I don't know why booze is metric while everything else we use is English.

It's yet another thing we can thank Jimmy Carter for! (Remember when major league ballparks had the distance to the wall in both feet and meters? Wow! Willie Stargell must have hit that 179 meters! YIKES!!!)

One of his brother Billy's many quotable comments was: "I stopped trusting my brother when he switched from Bourbon to Scotch."!

IMHO Evan Williams Black Label - about $18.00 for 1.75 liters - is the best value on liquor store shelves.

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
          RE: Bourbon Fri, 09/26/08 9:57 AM (permalink)
          Wild Turkey Bourbon!

crew84row

• Total Posts: 173
            RE: Bourbon Fri, 09/26/08 10:28 AM (permalink)
            If you're not used to the heavier bourbons, you might want to try Bakers. It's a bit lighter but still has a nice flavor. Van Winkles puts out a very nice Family Reserve, a tad expensive for everyday but great on special occassions. Thier Rye is very smooth. I like Woodford Reserve. But if you're ever near Bardstown, Kentucky, you should do the Bourbon Trail and try all the different brands. Here's a link. http://www.kybourbontrail.com

Phildelmar

• Total Posts: 791
              RE: Bourbon Fri, 09/26/08 10:33 AM (permalink)
              Evan Williams Black is a great value. The green is pretty good , too. Ezra Brooks 90 proof is also good.
              In scotch, try Grants or White Horse, for good value

Phishmonger

• Total Posts: 217
                RE: Bourbon Fri, 09/26/08 10:47 AM (permalink)
                Maker's Mark Bourbon for me. And Teacher's Highland Cream Scotch is smooth and easy going down. Each with a little branch water on rocks, while prepping dinner, makes me happy.

Phildelmar

• Total Posts: 791
                  RE: Bourbon Fri, 09/26/08 10:51 AM (permalink)
                  If you can find it, Pikesville rye has an unusual, complex flavor profile, also very good value

tonemonster2

• Total Posts: 187
                    RE: Bourbon Fri, 09/26/08 12:00 PM (permalink)
                    Makers Mark and Eagle Rare get my vote.

seafarer john

RE: Bourbon Fri, 09/26/08 3:26 PM (permalink)
                      Teacher's is my favorite Scotch - but it is a bit hard to find around here - i think it has something to do with the distributer. They have way too much power here in NYState.

I probably shouldn't comment on Vodkas because I never drink the tasteless stuff (well, sometimes we make a Bloody Mary, and I sometimes pour a bit in my tomato sauce), but it seems to me that seeing as it's only alcohol and water with no added flavor it shouldn't matter if you buy the cheapest or the most expensive. Also, a while ago, Cook's Magazine had a bit on how to make the cheap stuff taste as good as the more expensive - it had to do with pouring it thru a charcoal filter such as you can buy at the hardware store for filtering water. Seems like a waste to me, but if you think you can taste a difference it just might work out for your pocketbook.

Cheers, John

Beer Belly

• Total Posts: 34
                        RE: Bourbon Fri, 09/26/08 3:37 PM (permalink)
                        My go to bourbon any more is Elijah Craig. Very good for the price. But there are lots of good bourbons out there. Maker's Mark, Four Rose's, Booker's...

I am a bit spoiled though, living here in bourbon country.

Atleye

• Total Posts: 39
                          RE: Bourbon Fri, 09/26/08 3:54 PM (permalink)
                          I usually go for Maker's, but will sometimes splurge for Wild Turkey Rare Breed.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17848
                            RE: Bourbon Fri, 09/26/08 3:56 PM (permalink)
                            I'm a Jack Daniels drinker, myself.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6083
                              RE: Bourbon Fri, 09/26/08 4:00 PM (permalink)
                              "Jack" and I go back to the mid sixties...love that sour mash!!!!

Cakes

• Total Posts: 562
                                RE: Bourbon Fri, 09/26/08 4:10 PM (permalink)
                                Jack Daniels is whiskey, not bourbon.

Is Jack Daniel's a bourbon?
                                Jack Daniel's is not a bourbon - it's a Tennessee Whiskey. Jack Daniel's is dripped slowly - drop-by-drop - through ten feet of firmly packed charcoal (made from hard sugar maple) before going into new charred oak barrels for aging. This special process gives Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey its rare smoothness. It's this extra step - charcoal mellowing – that makes Jack Daniel's a Tennessee Whiskey.

Cakes

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                                  RE: Bourbon Fri, 09/26/08 4:31 PM (permalink)
                                  Thanks ya'all a lot of good suggestions.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6083
                                    RE: Bourbon Fri, 09/26/08 4:32 PM (permalink)
                                    well.yeah..As I said it's sour mash...says so on the label...sour mash whiskey...even in the 60's we'd correct people who'd call it a bourbon!!! Jack Daniel's lovers feel the need often to point out it's a great Tennessee sippin' whiskey!!

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                                      RE: Bourbon Fri, 09/26/08 4:39 PM (permalink)
                                      WarToad, why do you like the metric system for booze? Since we use the English for everything else in this country. I buy a gallon of milk, not 4 liters. I buy a pint of half and half, not 500ml. Just examples.

We either need to change to metric or not. Just not try to do both on a very limited basis for the metric system.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                                        RE: Bourbon Fri, 09/26/08 4:56 PM (permalink)
                                        JTS Brown...Russ

rumaki

• Total Posts: 967
                                          RE: Bourbon Fri, 09/26/08 5:18 PM (permalink)
                                          I drink Woodford Reserve, myself. Used to drink Maker's Mark. Like them both. Have been to both distilleries.

The Washington Post has an article on the Bourbon Trail in this Sunday's paper -- available online now at
                                          http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/26/AR2008092601862.html

cecif

• Total Posts: 1412
                                            RE: Bourbon Fri, 09/26/08 5:39 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I'm a Jack Daniels drinker, myself.

WHY am I not surprised...?!?!?!

I am just getting to like bourbon, myself. I do like Maker's Mark (and have yet to open the bottle I dipped myself!). I haven't tried Woodford or Knob Creek yet, though I will some day.

Noticed MikeS. bought Bombay Sapphire too - my favorite gin! (I am more of a gin person, myself.)

Having lived here and in the UK I have been forced to be acclimated to both metric & "imperial" (or old school). [Shrug]

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17848
                                              RE: Bourbon Fri, 09/26/08 6:09 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by leethebard

"Jack" and I go back to the mid sixties...love that sour mash!!!!

1954 for me.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                                                RE: Bourbon Fri, 09/26/08 10:59 PM (permalink)
                                                I buy one bourbon---Makers Mark.

Sonny Funzio

• Total Posts: 902
                                                  RE: Bourbon Sat, 09/27/08 4:06 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by Phishmonger

Maker's Mark Bourbon for me. And Teacher's Highland Cream Scotch is smooth and easy going down. Each with a little branch water on rocks, while prepping dinner, makes me happy.

Teachers is one of my very favorite blended scotches. It has a high percentage of single-malt and I like that flavor.

Sonny Funzio

• Total Posts: 902
                                                    RE: Bourbon Sat, 09/27/08 4:21 PM (permalink)
                                                    I've never been very big on either bourbon or sour mash; though I used to hang around with a bunch of very enthusiastic Old Forrester drinkers.

I do however like Georgia Moon occasionally, an old style corn whisky that's "drunk young". I like its different flavor.

Bigapetite

• Total Posts: 54
                                                      • Location: Hackensack, NJ
                                                      RE: Bourbon Sat, 09/27/08 4:50 PM (permalink)
                                                      I find that many spend large sums of money on all sorts of hard liquor only to destroy the taste by adding mixers. If you are going to do that, save yourself a lot of dough and go for the cheap stuff.
                                                      I doubt that few if any could possibly identify any liquor once it is mixed with who knows what.
                                                      I really have to laugh sometimes when people order things like Remy Martin with ginger ale, Rum and Coke, Margaritas or whatever and specify brands.
                                                      For most part people (including myself) don't have palates that are "educated" enough to tell the difference.
                                                      For those in the know Smirnoff Vodka seems to always rate at the top of the taste test but it isn't really cool to go and order Grey Goose? ....Thanks, I'll stick to my Smirnoff I'll enjoy it and laugh at those snobbish enough to throw their money away

MikeS.

• Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
                                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                                        RE: Bourbon Sat, 09/27/08 11:38 PM (permalink)
                                                        For the most part I agree with the above^^^ BUT...ya knew that was coming, didn't ya. Vodka, definetely cheap non name brand is ok by me. Pretty much the same with gin mixed with whatever except for the fact that cheap gin almost immediately gives me a headache. So for that reason I drink topshelf gin.

For rum and coke I prefer coconut rum and cherry coke, I buy Cap't Morgan's coconut rum. If at a friends house I'll drink whatever rum he has.

Tequila, up until this summer I always drank Cuervo when mixing it, usually in a Margarita. My oldest was over and she convinced me to make a Margarita out of Patron. My God did that make a difference! So now at home I use Patron for myself and friends. When I'm out it'll depend on how flush I feel.

Bourbon I only drink on the rocks. Scotch I haven't tried yet.

With Brandy I'm spoiled, my Mom had a cousin that was the chief accountant for the Christian Brothers out in Calif. We used to get a half gallon of the very best every year for Christmas. I still have 2 bottles of that wonderful stuff.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                                                          • Location: Round Rock, TX
                                                          RE: Bourbon Sun, 09/28/08 12:29 AM (permalink)
                                                          Buffalo Trace

or Maker's Mark

MikeS.

• Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
                                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                                            RE: Bourbon Sun, 09/28/08 11:05 PM (permalink)
                                                            Thanks Bushie, I'll try Buffalo Trace next.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 58

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com