Bourbon or Scotch?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
uncledaveyo
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Bourbon or Scotch? 2008/01/21 22:17:03 (permalink)
As long as its well made and delicious, why favor one over the other? Life's too short. Yeah I know its a copout, but I love both...

Gotsta have Rye if your making a Sazerac though....
Scarlett
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 402
RE: Bourbon or Scotch? 2008/01/21 22:29:26 (permalink)
Scotch it is. I love Scotch - perfection is a shot of Scotch over 'fresh' ice cubes. When I am enjoying Scotch I get a fresh glass and fresh ice cubes for each drink.

I don't like any mixers i.e., Dew, etc.

Bourbon is not my friend.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6396
RE: Bourbon or Scotch? 2008/01/21 22:43:10 (permalink)
The testing is continuing. Tonight it is sipping alternatively between the two instead of one after another.

I guess I still have to go with the bourbon even though the Wild Turkey is not nearly as smooth as a Maker's Mark or Knob Creek. Or I could go out and buy Lagavullen and continue the test.
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Bourbon or Scotch? 2008/01/21 22:52:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hatteras04

Between those two, I will take Bourbon. I got my dad a single barrel Blanton's for Christmas and it was outstanding. But the tougher choice for me would be between a good Irish Whiskey and Bourbon. Maybe I need to do my own taste test on a cold night.

I think the nights are as cold as they will get right now.. Test away!
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6449
RE: Bourbon or Scotch? 2008/01/21 23:01:12 (permalink)
Davydd

Use a rocks glass if you have it instead of the shot glasses, then add a dash of spring water to each.

You will be suprised at how the water opens the flavors up.

That and it gives you another way to test them on another COLD Night.
iqdiva
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: Bourbon or Scotch? 2008/01/21 23:22:01 (permalink)
Bourbon is also wonderful in a mug of hot home made old-fashioned Russian tea !
unabashed
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: Bourbon or Scotch? 2008/01/22 00:03:22 (permalink)
hands down I love my Bourbon...
I have 4 bottles at the moment all open...
Makers Mark , Knob Creek in the fridge I like them strait but chilled without the water the ice brings to the party
Evan Williams & Ezra Brooks I like mixing with coke and ice My cheaper version of the Black Tooth Grin Dime enjoyed so much.
all and somewhere in this post someone stated not drinking beer cause of a ailment .... I suffer from both forms of Gout but I loved my beer a Dr. told me "Ron I know your not gonna stop drinking but beer is a major factor in these attacks....he said if you must drink drink Bourbon....I take allopurinol for it and still get the attacks around holidays HAM & VENISON are the culprits....
anyone that suffers from Gout email me if you need any info on this I've suffered with it since 1995 and it is a awful disease I've researched the crap out of it...
now I'm gonna do a shot of Knob Creek and mix a chaser
Ashphalt
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: Bourbon or Scotch? 2008/01/22 11:12:26 (permalink)
The "peat-y" flavors and aroma of scotch usually turn my stomach as no other form of booze can. It truly reminds me of sweaty socks. I've had some single malts that were pretty tasty, but I was born a bourbon man.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6396
RE: Bourbon or Scotch? 2008/01/22 11:22:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CajunKing

Davydd

Use a rocks glass if you have it instead of the shot glasses, then add a dash of spring water to each.

You will be suprised at how the water opens the flavors up.

That and it gives you another way to test them on another COLD Night.

I've got all kinds of glasses and it will be COLD again tonight.

unabashed. I started suffering from gout circa 1980 when I was only 38. The first attack was in the arch of my foot and I thought it was a stress fracture because it felt just like when I broke my foot once. But when the pain did not subside I knew it was something else. It got so bad I went vegetarian for 7 years. I'm not sure what is going on with my body but the gout has pretty much disappeared on me for the past few years. The last attack was in 2005 and it was mild. About that time I had artho surgery on my knee and they scraped out a lot of Tofi and at the same time removed a golf ball size chunk of tofi from my right elbow. I now wonder if that was related. I'm no longer taking allopurinol. I used to dread the holidays because it came on like clock work. Knocking on wood because I know how painful it can be.
unabashed
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: Bourbon or Scotch? 2008/01/23 00:31:32 (permalink)
Davydd
That GOUT is some nasty stuff!!!! I usally get it in my ankels but have had it in my wrists one time in my right knee my knee swelled up like a cantalope they drained it then tested fluid and said you got gout....if I get a attack they put me on a predizone burst its gone in a day or 2.
I've had alot of broken bones(x motocross racer and thrill seeker) and would rather have a broken bone than a severe gout attack.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Bourbon or Scotch? 2008/01/23 14:21:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ashphalt

The "peat-y" flavors and aroma of scotch usually turn my stomach as no other form of booze can. It truly reminds me of sweaty socks. I've had some single malts that were pretty tasty, but I was born a bourbon man.

Stay away from single malts from Islay. You may find yourself more pleased with Highland single malts.

I love Bourbon, and probably smack through a bottle's worth per week, but single malt scotches have a much wider breadth of flavors. Bourbons are all fairly close in taste compared to Scotch single malts. So, don't judge all Scotch by an Islaly.

, also, do not like the heavy peat, and prefer Speyside, Highlands and some of the Islands Scotches (subregion of the Highlands - such as Highland Park.)
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1