Bowens Island,, Charleston, SC Oyster Roast

Author
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
2007/09/22 14:09:04 (permalink)

Bowens Island,, Charleston, SC Oyster Roast

I may be VERY late to the game, but I just found out that Bowens Island reopened back in February......

I searched and couldn't find any link to this OLD news, so, despite the possibilty of being ridiculed for not having my act together, I will post this anyway.

9 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15272
    RE: Bowens Island,, Charleston, SC Oyster Roast 2007/09/22 14:15:46 (permalink)
    Thanks Tara, I think someone said they "heard it was opening again", But yours is the first about it being open. Did you visit there???
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Bowens Island,, Charleston, SC Oyster Roast 2007/09/22 16:31:59 (permalink)
    I posted an inquiry here a month ago as to it being open again - no response till Tara's. Thanks very much, i hope we'll be able to stop there going to or from Florida next winter. Eating oysters there was one of the most memorable experiences we've ever had in our culinary searches.

cheers, John
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Bowens Island,, Charleston, SC Oyster Roast 2007/09/22 18:18:10 (permalink)
    AL, No.. I didnt go there.
    I thought about it today, and googled, and found some blogs about it online.

denise2gnz
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Bowens Island,, Charleston, SC Oyster Roast 2007/09/23 17:54:30 (permalink)

I too was excited to hear bowens island had reopened. I visited in the spring and found the dining area outside... tarps... and melted tables. The only real new thing was the cash register and the lock on the screen door! There were plenty of patrons lined up to pay but the previous atmosphere that had to be experienced to be appreciated had disapearred up in smoke and still smelling. I was so disheartened I didnt even get in line because I couldnt think of a reason they would have called it reopened except to take money. People are very loyal to good food and Im glad of it, but, this just wasn't right!
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Bowens Island,, Charleston, SC Oyster Roast 2007/09/24 00:36:44 (permalink)
    According to the reports that I read, no one complained about what you mentioned.
    Hmmm....
    These below are 3 reviews since it opened, and no one complained about anything... yet, and its been 6 months...all were written since its reopening.....

-------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/tEu3bcU6JpfLLChwlME-8A
    bob a.
    Reviews
    Written: 1
    09/17/2007 4 star rating
    Hard to find, (turn right just past Piggly Wiggly),not much on charm but one full ton of personality with extremely down home staff. All local,fresh sea food. Call ahead to check awesome oyster availability or otherwise savor great boiled shrimp. Bring magic marker to sign name on wall , floor, ceiling, table, dock or whatever. open at 4 pm . Place is a truly a unique experience and finding it deserves a beverage.

Bookmark Send to a Friend

J T.
    Reviews
    Written: 6
    08/14/2007 5 star rating
    I took my Dad to Bowen's Island Restaurant after a day of trekking on the Cape Romain National Wildlife Refuge via ferry in February 2007 after the restaurant fire.

Some of the best oysters on the East Coast aside from Murrells Inlet & Urbanna VA.

Plan a trip to Charleston during SEWE and rub shoulders with Charleston's finest at the Duck's Unlimited Oyster Roast and Auction in Mid Februrary.

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Regina S.
    Reviews
    Written: 100
    02/15/2007 5 star rating
    Bowens Island has risen from the ashes to re-stake its title as THE best seafood joint in the state. This dive is actually in the "1000 Places To Go Before You Die" book. Not kidding.

It burned down in 2006 and owner Robert Barber (he ran for Lt. Governor the same year... and lost) swore he'd rebuild. As of February 2007, people are now eating on the back deck and dock. The oysters are still shelled out onto tables by a man with a snow shovel, straight from the fire pit. BTW, he really does only work for tips (like the sign above him indicates).

Keep your fingers crossed that when they do build a new building it won't be fancy pants. Hopefully the owner will make sure the new spot is just as dingy and full of character as the original.

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Bowens Island,, Charleston, SC Oyster Roast 2007/09/24 09:07:23 (permalink)
    I'm intrigued by the references to Murrels inlet, and Urbanna Virginia. Does anyone here have the names and adresses of specific oyster joints in either of these places?

Cheers, John
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5420
    RE: Bowens Island,, Charleston, SC Oyster Roast 2007/09/25 07:53:39 (permalink)
    John, me too, I'd like to hear more.

MikeS.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15272
    RE: Bowens Island,, Charleston, SC Oyster Roast 2007/09/25 08:37:45 (permalink)

Here is a link to the southern Folkways review of Bowen's Island. It has some information regarding the before and after of the restaurant and fire.

http://www.southernfoodways.com/oral_history/bowens/index.shtml
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Bowens Island,, Charleston, SC Oyster Roast 2007/09/26 12:39:09 (permalink)
    This is what I found while googling..
    As far as the Murrells Inlet place, I dont know.....

http://www.urbannaoysterfestival.com/
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1