Bowling Green KY

Author
rv.sullivan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2006/03/13 10:14:06 (permalink)

Bowling Green KY

Any good places within 50 mile radius? Going to be there for a while and have never stayed before? Thanks for the help.

23 Replies Related Threads

olddocdiner
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: Bowling Green KY 2006/03/13 16:55:25 (permalink)
    If you are willing to extend that radius to 75 miles, go up to Owensboro and eat at Old Hickory BBQ on Washington St. Excellent 'que cooked over wood. In BG, try Mariah's on State St. for true roadfood dining. Up I-65 at Mammoth Cave, the fried chicken at Mammoth Cave Lodge (in the national park) has been written up in national mags many times. Farther up I-65 is the Whistlestop in Glendale. Quaint and tasty food.

That's for starters. Maybe folks have some more.

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15245
    RE: Bowling Green KY 2006/03/13 17:24:29 (permalink)

Due a search for Bowling Green on the site. Poverty pete found a couple of places not to long ago that he described. They were in the Bowling Green vicinity.
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 730
    RE: Bowling Green KY 2006/03/13 18:37:26 (permalink)
    I lived in Bowling Green for 8 months while working on a degree, and I have been back several times since. What's a good restaurant there? It depends on what you want. Since it's a college town (Western Kentucky University), Bowling Green is heavily represented by chain restaurants, which the students tend to favor because of their familiarity. But there are some diamonds in the rough to be found and explored if you'll take the time. In the town square there is 440 Main, (440 East Main Avenue on Fountain Square) Phone: 270-793-0450, which has served me some excellent meals over the last few years.
    http://www.440main.com
    (click "skip the intro" to see the menu)

Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Bowling Green KY 2006/03/13 18:56:37 (permalink)
    Since you're going to be there for a while, if you want a Bowling Green place that is an excellent source for old-fashioned pastries and sandwiches, try Riley's Bakery (819 US 31W ByPass, Phone: 270-842-7636, Open Mon. - Fri. 6:45 am - 5:30 pm; Sat. 6:45 am - 2:30 pm.) This place has been in the city for well over 60 years. They make all their products from scratch. Their most popular items include brownies, cream horns, Hungarian coffee cake and tea cookies. They also make delicious sandwiches just like your mother used to, only using their delicious butter bread. They have such fillings as chicken, tuna, ham and egg salad; olive nut cream cheese and pimento cheese. It's not your ordinary bakery. This was Duncan Hines' favorite place to buy his pies and cakes when he wasn't on the road investigating restaurants. (Hines was a Bowling Green resident 1880-1898 & 1939-1959.) He was excessively hard to please, so if Riley's could pass his litmus test, it'll pass yours. The older Bowling Green residents claim that Riley's products are as good now as they were then.

I have now been told by a Bowling Green resident that "Riley's was devastated by a fire and is closed for the moment. They have plans to reopen." Such are the perils of living 100 miles away.
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Bowling Green KY 2006/03/13 19:07:34 (permalink)
    My last recommendation, one for all three meals, is Judy's Castle (3102 U.S. 31W Bypass; Phone: (270) 842-8736). If you're going to be in Bowling Green for a while, I imagine you'll make this your headquarters most of the time. It's the sort of down-home, no frills restaurant that most roadfood warriors are looking for. The food is good and inexpensive. The atmosphere is warm and friendly. In a short time, you'll be a regular, no matter which meal. And you'll be treated daily to good Southern cooking.
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Bowling Green KY 2006/03/13 19:24:11 (permalink)
    I'll make one more recommendation, in case you want to do a little exploring in the area. I took Jane and Michael Stern to this restaurant about a month ago, located about two hours away from Bowling Green: Charlie's Steak House (Highway 41A, Oak Grove, KY; Tel: 270-439-4592), located two miles south of the junction of Interstate 24 and U.S. 41. This is an old-fashioned steak house with a elegant 1950s veneer about it. It sort of reminds you or an old-time supper club. Most of the cuts are good, but not great. But there is ONE exception: the porterhouse steak. They rub a heavy layer of garlic-flavored spices deep into the meat before cooking, and it makes the difference between an average steak and one to remember. Sometimes I've been disappointed, but 97% of the time it has been worth the 100 mile drive to get there.
    Poverty Pete
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2296
    RE: Bowling Green KY 2006/03/13 22:35:29 (permalink)
    I second Louis' suggestion of Riley's Bakery. Another favorite of mine is out on Scottsville highway. I think it's called Burning Tree BBQ, but not sure. I'll be there for lunch tomorrow, so if it's different from that, I'll post again. The Q is pretty good, but the item to not miss is their corncakes. They're free with their meals, or something like fifty cents each. The only thing I've ever found to be comparable is the hoecakes at Lady & Sons, in Savannah. It's about five miles out of Bowling Green and if I were based there for a while, I would walk there if I had no other options.
    mvanpatten
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Bowling Green KY 2006/03/14 21:59:43 (permalink)
    Local newspaper has restaurant reviews:
    http://bgdailynews.com/restaurant_reviews/
    Plenty of places right in town, don't need to travel unless you want to!

BTW: Riley's is closed because of a fire. Will reopen soon, but probably not before your visit.
    mvanpatten
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Bowling Green KY 2006/03/15 14:43:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Poverty Pete

I second Louis' suggestion of Riley's Bakery. Another favorite of mine is out on Scottsville highway. I think it's called Burning Tree BBQ, but not sure. I'll be there for lunch tomorrow, so if it's different from that, I'll post again. The Q is pretty good, but the item to not miss is their corncakes. They're free with their meals, or something like fifty cents each. The only thing I've ever found to be comparable is the hoecakes at Lady & Sons, in Savannah. It's about five miles out of Bowling Green and if I were based there for a while, I would walk there if I had no other options.

Is this the same place as this review? http://snipurl.com/nnbq

Which is discussed here: http://roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8262
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2296
    RE: Bowling Green KY 2006/03/15 19:47:14 (permalink)
    I'm not sure, but it sounds as though it may be the same place. I wasn't able to go yesterday, but I stand by my original assessment. The Q is ok, and the corn cakes are better than words can describe.
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Bowling Green KY 2006/07/02 21:28:37 (permalink)
    I visited Riley's Bakery in Bowling Green over the weekend and it is now operating as if the recent fire never happened. Which is good. I live 100 miles away, and don't get here often. So I took the opportunity to load up on their crustless, white bread sandwiches that have creamed cheese, nuts and olives. They also have other old-fashioned sandwiches that you don't see often anymore. They have been serving baking goods and making sandwiches since 1922.
    Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 521
    RE: Bowling Green KY 2006/07/02 22:36:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by olddocdiner

If you are willing to extend that radius to 75 miles, go up to Owensboro and eat at Old Hickory BBQ on Washington St. Excellent 'que cooked over wood. In BG, try Mariah's on State St. for true roadfood dining. Up I-65 at Mammoth Cave, the fried chicken at Mammoth Cave Lodge (in the national park) has been written up in national mags many times. Farther up I-65 is the Whistlestop in Glendale. Quaint and tasty food.

That's for starters. Maybe folks have some more.

I've been to the Depot Restaurant in Glendale and it's great. I had a country ham sandwich (Piled high of course) and it came with a couple sides or something like that. What I really enjoyed was they kept it simple. No rabbit food on with it or cheese or anything else other than some spicy mustard and mayo served on the side. My sandwich was sliced ham on a roll. They let the ham do that talkin'. The bread was more or less there as a delivery mechanism. It was one great sandwich.

I had a soup as well that was fantastic. I couldn't tell you what it was for some reason but it was excellent. I do remember it was a bean soup of some sort.

Anyway, it's a great little town. Take a nice day trip.

Enjoy
    DT
    tgfny
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 36
    RE: Bowling Green KY 2006/07/04 12:04:47 (permalink)
    I went through yesterday. Thru Rodfood research on the crackberry, I was able to find Split Tree BBQ. It's off the 2nd Scottsville exit just south of the Corvette museum exit if heading South.

Very solid cue, served on cornbread with very ggod sauce and a nice owner who occasionally graces these boards. I would equate the cue to Jackson Ga's Fresh Air barbecue.
    Rando
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 117
    RE: Bowling Green KY 2007/08/28 15:39:51 (permalink)
    wow, finding this thread brought back memories-- I went to school in Bowling Green 20 years ago. I remember Judy's castle-- there was also a place across the street on 31W we liked for breakfast called "Murrays", I think it's still there. also, "Mary's Home Cooking" om Center St. there's a college bar-restaurant on College st. that used to be called "Mr. D's" but I think it something else now. they used to have good pizza and sandwiches.
    cecif
    • Total Posts : 1414
    RE: Bowling Green KY 2007/08/28 18:06:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rv.sullivan

Any good places within 50 mile radius? Going to be there for a while and have never stayed before? Thanks for the help.

Welcome to RF, rv.sullivan!
    I could get blasted for this but can I just add that I hope you have time in BG to do the Corvette factory tour (not the museum, the real factory). It's a GREAT experience! (And I'm not even a Corvette fan!)

Edit: Ok duh. If Louis had not edited today I would not have noticed that this thread is over a year old! I usually look! oops......
    cecif
    • Total Posts : 1414
    RE: Bowling Green KY 2007/08/28 18:09:36 (permalink)
    quote:

In BG, try Mariah's on State St. for true roadfood dining.

I was taken by locals to Mariah's last summer, & had a great lunch. I think it was a leeetle more upscale than my version of true roadfood, but it was a terrific meal!

It has a website too fyi: http://www.mariahs.com/
    Rando
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 117
    RE: Bowling Green KY 2007/09/01 19:37:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cecif

quote:

In BG, try Mariah's on State St. for true roadfood dining.

I was taken by locals to Mariah's last summer, & had a great lunch. I think it was a leeetle more upscale than my version of true roadfood, but it was a terrific meal!

It has a website too fyi: http://www.mariahs.com/

spent a lot of time at Mariah's when I was in college at their little bar and also at the big bar they had at the back, Picasso's... I don't remember eating a whole lot there other than the appetizers, which were good.
    IndianaPete
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: Bowling Green KY 2012/04/27 15:40:27 (permalink)
    Sorry to resurrect a really old thread, but I'm passing through BG next week and need to get some lunch.  Nothing in the AAA book interests me much, but I did stop in at Mariah's last time and can give it a thumbs up.  Anything else or something new I might try since these older posts?  Thanks for your help.
    Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 521
    RE: Bowling Green KY 2012/04/27 16:20:20 (permalink)
    Since you're passing through and not stopping I'm guessing you're looking for lunch while on the road. Not necessarily in BG for sure.
    About 4 miles north in Munfordville is a great little Q shack called Big Bubba Bucks Belly Bustin' BBQ Bliss. It's a real dump of a place churning out some great food. Thought the Q was really good but both desserts were fabulous. The smoked pork loin was a real winner. The deep fried corn was absolutely not.

DT

http://davwudsfoodcourt.b...01/104-good-buddy.html
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    RE: Bowling Green KY 2012/04/28 14:34:33 (permalink)
    The Smokey Pig is an excellent little BBQ joint....2520 Louisville Rd. Monroe County style......and it is fantastic.

It's sort of behind,..... down the road a bit from the Corvette Museum.
    IndianaPete
    Junior Burger
    RE: Bowling Green KY 2012/04/28 15:59:28 (permalink)
    OK then!!   I have found GREAT reviews for both these places.  They are on my radar for sure!   Thank you very much.
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    RE: Bowling Green KY 2012/04/29 07:39:22 (permalink)
    If you decide to hit the Smokey Pig be sure and post a review....Monroe Co. style BBQ is very unique.....the specialty is thinly sliced shoulder, cooked over a live hickory fire and then dipped in a spicy vinegar based sauce.....and their spicy slaw is excellent.

Get there early because the do sell out....
    IndianaPete
    Junior Burger
    RE: Bowling Green KY 2012/05/23 10:14:49 (permalink)
    Went to Big Bubba Bucks Belly Bustin' BBQ Bliss.
    I submitted a review, but apparently didn't meet the specs of doing so.  Also got pics, but WTF.
    Pretty good place.  Thanks for the tip.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1