Brain Sandwich

Author
M&M
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 106
2004/01/16 09:44:00 (permalink)

Brain Sandwich

Clink link for front page article in today's St. Louis Post-Dispatch on the disappearing brain sandwich

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/News/Science+&+Medicine/F0A9D7667E63C28586256E1D00212D1F?OpenDocument&Headline=Brain+food%3F+Not+anymore

19 Replies Related Threads

i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Brain Sandwich 2004/01/16 09:46:52 (permalink)
    Why, oh, why is there not a smile icon representing the action of vomiting, here ?? Ugh !!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13548
    RE: Brain Sandwich 2004/01/16 09:53:34 (permalink)
    I recoginize that protein is protein but for some reason, I have never found brains appetizing. It belongs on another thread of things I would not, have not and never will consume.

I just pray that it is never offered to me after a few evening libations. My inhabitions are sometimes altered and I could screw up big time

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    booboobirdie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 143
    RE: Brain Sandwich 2004/01/16 10:12:57 (permalink)
    I actually tried brains once (I was tricked into it and didn't know what I was eating). I beleive they had bits of crisp bacon mixed in, some onions, and a light brown sauce. Until I knew what it was, I actually really liked it. I don't think I could bring myself to eat it again, but you never know. I like liver (please don't hate me), and the texture was similar.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1102
    RE: Brain Sandwich 2004/01/16 13:56:47 (permalink)
    A story about this on the CNN website said that people in Evansville, IN are still buying them like crazy. One man did say that the federal regulation would force some to switch to pig brains instead which are smaller and harder to cook. He didn't think that consumers would notice as most of the flavor comes from the breading anyways. I lived in Indiana for 16 years and I never heard of this so called delicacy. I think I'll take a nice deep fried pork tenderloin over the brain sandwich anyday.
    IansMom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Brain Sandwich 2004/01/16 14:00:27 (permalink)
    My mom was once served monkey brain in Taiwan.. they brought out this live monkey and the mistress of the house tapped it's skull with a silver hammer... mom got out of eating it by telling the group that monkey wasn't kosher...
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Brain Sandwich 2004/01/16 14:04:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by IansMom

My mom was once served monkey brain in Taiwan.. they brought out this live monkey and the mistress of the house tapped it's skull with a silver hammer... mom got out of eating it by telling the group that monkey wasn't kosher...

Gag a maggot

I have read about some cultures bringout a live snake, cutting it open and put its still beating heart in a drink and consuming it immediately, but the poor monkey thing

By the way, this is a very historic post.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    IansMom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Brain Sandwich 2004/01/16 14:10:06 (permalink)
    Hell, In Taiwan they have Snake Alley.. anything to do with eating snakes...
    Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: Brain Sandwich 2004/01/16 14:15:07 (permalink)
    A Patriotic post, indeed, Paul.

More food for thought: http://www.bozosoft.com/mike/meat/brains-article.html
    paul and louise
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Brain Sandwich 2004/01/16 14:58:15 (permalink)
    when i was a kid we raised pigs for food
    i named them
    ...helped slop them
    was present at the hawg killin'
    next morning we had scrambled eggs and pork brains
    FRESH
    purty good
    i didn't care too much for the heart
    and i'm not big on any kind of liver
    ...except deer liver
    that's probably a topic for another website tho
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18859
    RE: Brain Sandwich 2004/01/16 15:21:37 (permalink)
    I've eaten roasted squirrel brains (roasted inside the skull).
    Bill B.
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Brain Sandwich 2004/01/16 15:22:06 (permalink)
    There's an old drive-in in Independence, Mo., called Clem's. At Clem's, you can buy a deep-fried brain sandwich. I tried one, once. Took one bite out of it. Didn't like the texture, didn't like the flavor, and I REALLY didn't like the appearance. Too much like something out of a biology final.

Even so, Clem's caters to a dedicated bunch of brain munchers.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Brain Sandwich 2004/01/16 16:19:48 (permalink)
    Oh ya... Head Cheese... Sliced thin on a plate w/vinegar.... Tasty!

As for the live monkey brains, think I saw that on one of my younger brothers videos "faces of death" or something like that... Yuk...

Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: Brain Sandwich 2004/01/16 17:53:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by clothier

quote:
    Originally posted by IansMom

Huh. This got me to thinking. Is monkey kosher? I mean, clearly killing it this way would preclude it, but , hmm.

There's never a rabbi around when I need one.

I would suspect it is Kosher, not having a cleft foot. But I would get your rabbi to bless it anyway.
    Sushi_Girl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Brain Sandwich 2004/01/23 13:36:11 (permalink)
    Im having visions of Hannibal Lector and Indiana Jones and the temple of doom.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Brain Sandwich 2004/01/25 16:44:35 (permalink)
    For some reason, I cannot imagine this type of sandwich being appetizing to anyone. Hannibal or not, I find it UGH!!!

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Brain Sandwich 2004/02/11 21:48:50 (permalink)
    When I was young, I loved fried brains scrambled with eggs (always pork brains), usually with catsup on them. I never put them in a sandwich, probably because even with the catsup to try to "glue" the whole thing together, it would have been very hard to keep everything from falling out of the sandwich, since the brains & eggs pieces were chunks about 1" in diameter or less. I thought they had an excellent flavor, but of course, I loved to suck marrow out of a bone from a roast or a steak, which is really the same type of meat(if you want to call it that) that the brain is made of (nerve tissue). It has been at least 25 years since I have had any, but just thinking about it again makes me hungry for them.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Brain Sandwich 2004/02/11 22:54:41 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    There used to be a restaurant in Jefferson City, Missouri that specialized in brain sandwiches. They used pork brains that were obtained fresh locally, never frozen nor canned. This place might have been written up here someplace else; I've even seen a photo of it in a magazine article or on a website.
    Can any of y'all provide further information?
    Thought-For-Food-fully, Ort. Carlton in Practically Brain-Dead Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. I ate brains and eggs (calf's brains, that is) in Nashville at a place on Gallatin Pike that is no longer there. I really developed a taste for them... a dab or two of Texas Pete(R) and I was in heaven! When I get one of my offal cravings now, I go for some livermush... it has far, far less cholestrol per serving.
    P. P. S. That head cheese in vinegar sounds heavenly! To find that, though, a person has to go where there is a sizeable Slavic population - like Cleveland or one of the large Northern industrial cities. I sure can't find that stuff hereabouts.
    Brahma Bob
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Brain Sandwich 2004/02/11 23:20:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    I loved to suck marrow out of a bone from a roast or a steak, which is really the same type of meat(if you want to call it that) that the brain is made of (nerve tissue).

Seriously, brain tastes like bone marrow? I've never had the nerve to go head-on with brain matter but I've always liked the taste of marrow. When I was a kid we used to fight over the marrow. Seems you can't get a cut of meat with a good marrow bone now. If you say it's true, I'll try the brain thing.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Brain Sandwich 2004/02/12 03:03:42 (permalink)
    I really don't want to get scientific about this, but I did go to medical school for 1 year many moons ago. The brain is made up of nerve tissue (and blood vessels). This is the same nerve tissue that makes up the "marrow" in turkey neck bones (actually their spinal cord), which I love on a Thanksgiving turkey. This is also the same tissue that is in the center of many large bones, that we think of as the marrow in those bones. Brains are usually a little less soft than the marrow, but I think a lot of that is due to the fact that you usually eat marrow from a bone that has been roasted, which is cooking "wet", while brains are generally fried, which dries them out some. When the brains are fried with scrambled eggs, they are basically about the same texture as the scrambled eggs, and they have a mild flavor. This is part of the reason I like catsup on them, to add a bit more flavor to them. If you would consider putting catsup on scrambled eggs, then I would suggest you try the brains and eggs with catsup, too. I hope my "scientific" talk hasn't turned anybody off from brains (or marrow), since there are always some people that won't eat a given food when they find out what it really is.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1