Braised Short Ribs

Author
holdem
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 415
2009/12/12 21:19:37 (permalink)

Braised Short Ribs

I've never had them but I saw them prepared on a TV show. I'm thinking of trying them for our holiday dinner. I looked at some at the grocery and there didn't look like there was much meat on them. Can anyone give me some tips on cooking them. Thanks.

5 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18276
    Re:Braised Short Ribs 2009/12/12 21:42:44 (permalink)
    Short Ribs with Tagliatelle

Ingredients

3 tablespoons olive oil
    2 ounces chopped pancetta (about 1/2 cup)
    2 1/2 pounds short ribs
    Salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 carrot, chopped
    1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
    2 cloves garlic
    1 (14-ounce) can tomatoes (whole or diced)
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 bay leaf
    2 1/2 cups beef broth
    3/4 cup red wine
    1 pound fresh or dried tagliatelle
    4 to 6 teaspoons shaved bittersweet chocolate

Directions

Place the olive oil in a large heavy soup pot over medium heat. Cook the pancetta until golden and crisp, about 4 minutes. Meanwhile, season the short ribs with salt and pepper, and dredge in the flour. Using a slotted spoon, remove the pancetta from the pan and set aside. Add the short ribs to the pan and brown on all sides, about 7 minutes total.

Meanwhile, combine the onion, carrot, parsley and garlic in a food processor and blend until finely minced. Then add the tomatoes and tomato paste and pulse.

Once the short ribs are browned, carefully add the mixture from the food processor to the pot. Return the pancetta to the pot and stir. Add the rosemary, thyme, oregano, bay leaf, beef broth, and wine. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove the lid and simmer for another hour and a half, stirring occasionally. Remove the meat and bones from the pot. Discard the bones. Shred the meat and return it to the pot. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper, or to taste.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes for dried pasta and 2 to 3 minutes for fresh. Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Add the pasta to the pot and stir to combine. Add the reserved pasta liquid 1/4 cup at a time, if  needed, to moisten the pasta. Transfer to serving bowls, top each bowl with 1 teaspoon of chocolate shavings. Serve immediately.

From Giada De Laurentis
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15185
    Re:Braised Short Ribs 2009/12/13 01:11:38 (permalink)
     Those Short Ribs Sound great to me !!! We have been buying 7-bone racks of Beef Ribs (not as meaty or fatty as the short-ribs) at Walmart lately for $1.98 a lb. Not bad for oven-bbq stuff.

I had to chuckle when I looked at the JackStack BBQ website (Kansas City Restaurant) They have a mail-order special going on right now... Very meaty Beef Ribs for $99....but that is for THREE (3) Ribs.  Sheesch, I'll sell you MY Ribs for that price !!!
    agnesrob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:Braised Short Ribs 2009/12/13 05:38:43 (permalink)
    Michael, I've that very recipe before, they were just delicious! I've also made this recipe from The Olive Garden. I had them there and liked the concept. I knew I could do better making them at home. Their recipe called for boneless, I used ones on the bone. More flavor that way! I served them with a mushroom risotto and fresh green beans.

Chianti Braised Short Ribs 

Ingredients 
    4 lbs beef short ribs*
    Salt to taste
    Pepper to taste
    ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
    1 medium yellow onions, chopped
    4 large garlic cloves, minced
    2 cups Chianti wine
    1 32-oz can crushed tomatoes
    3 cups beef broth
    2 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
    *Your grocery store butcher can cut into individual ribs and de-bone
    Procedures
      PAT short ribs dry and season with salt and pepper.
    COAT a large, nonstick pan with olive oil. Sear the short rib pieces over medium-high heat for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until brown. Transfer short ribs to a bowl.
    ADD onions to pan and cook over medium heat for approximately 3 minutes. Once onions are translucent, add garlic and cook for 1 minute; do not brown. Add Chianti, rosemary, beef broth and tomatoes to the pan one at a time, allowing liquid to partially evaporate before each addition (about 2 minutes).
    RETURN short ribs to pan, including any juices that might have accumulated in the bowl. Cover and let simmer for 3 hours on low heat to complete the braising process. Remove short ribs and bones from pan and boil the liquid until it is reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
    RETURN short ribs to pan and heat thoroughly.
    SERVE with potatoes or risotto and vegetables.

post edited by agnesrob - 2009/12/13 05:43:34
    wheels in the sky
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re:Braised Short Ribs 2009/12/13 06:14:13 (permalink)
    make it easy on your self.  one can of stewe tomatoes,  one cup of red  wine.  one tbs of garlic. salt and pepper and any other  spices you like.  cover and slow cook on 325 for three hours and you will love them
    holdem
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 415
    Re:Braised Short Ribs 2009/12/19 19:56:57 (permalink)
    How many short ribs do you make per person? The one's at our store look pretty.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1