Brand/Type of Bacon for BLT's

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Wholebelly
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
2004/07/23 09:58:56 (permalink)

Brand/Type of Bacon for BLT's

Okay, the BLT thread got me thinking about bacon - how do i love thee? Let me count the ways. Oscar Meyer is usually my first choice, but I sometimes I enjoy Farmland Apple Cider style. I think Farmland is regional to New England.

45 Replies Related Threads

meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Brand/Type of Bacon for BLT's 2004/07/23 10:05:15 (permalink)
    I like Kunzler bacon (available only in PA and environs I think), but my favorite comes from the butcher. It is so fresh and so delicious!

Nothing better than the smell of bacon frying!!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18450
    RE: Brand/Type of Bacon for BLT's 2004/07/23 10:09:04 (permalink)
    I buy slab bacon and slice it as I use it.
    greasewheel
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Brand/Type of Bacon for BLT's 2004/07/23 10:09:43 (permalink)
    I don't have a favorite brand but the best bacon, IMO has to be dry cured. Much better than conventional bacon. I shop for it at meat or import specialty stores.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Brand/Type of Bacon for BLT's 2004/07/23 10:09:51 (permalink)
    Our Winn Dixie Stores sells a Deli Bacon in their delis that is the best that I have found. It's a little thicker and fries up real good.
    I think the smell of bacon cooking is heavenly.
    Willly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: Brand/Type of Bacon for BLT's 2004/07/23 10:55:50 (permalink)
    Niman Ranch from Trader Joes. A little more expensive but well worth it.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Brand/Type of Bacon for BLT's 2004/07/23 11:27:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by greasewheel

I don't have a favorite brand but the best bacon, IMO has to be dry cured. Much better than conventional bacon. I shop for it at meat or import specialty stores.

Truth is, I am appalled at what bacon sells for these days and generally buy what's on sale--most recently Tyson was on 2-for-1 special and I bought some. But for "money's no object" gourmets, you might want to try Broadbent's bacon (see http://store.broadbenthams.com/products.cfm?ID=5 ). I mentioned elsewhere my love of country hams and most of the folks who ship them, also ship dry-cured bacon prepared and smoked "the old-fashioned way".
    garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: Brand/Type of Bacon for BLT's 2004/07/23 12:08:33 (permalink)
    either slab bacon OR Albertsons(which is store-cut from slabs) thick cut,which you get at the deli counter. alternately, Boars Head is a good choice(has to be really slow cooked). what could be better than a BLT? also,the bread is most important...personally,I like to buy a loaf of french(baguette) or italian bread,slice and remove part of the white and prepare to enter Valhalla
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: Brand/Type of Bacon for BLT's 2004/07/23 12:32:48 (permalink)
    Any kind of bacon will do for me - just make sure it's cut thick!
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Brand/Type of Bacon for BLT's 2004/07/23 12:36:19 (permalink)
    I like thick sliced and peppered, but I've never met a piece of bacon I didn't like.
    aleswench
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 686
    RE: Brand/Type of Bacon for BLT's 2004/07/23 13:25:22 (permalink)
    Our butcher's bacon is the best (Sussex Meat Packing in Wharton, NJ for those that are in the area...) and Boar's Head, but it is tough to find. I just watched a show on FoodTV (Alton Brown?) that said the best way to cook bacon is in the oven on a rack with a pan underneath. Haven't tried it yet though!
    Jennifer_4
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1510
    RE: Brand/Type of Bacon for BLT's 2004/07/23 13:54:26 (permalink)
    store bought, Osacar Meyer... purchased online.. Amana, double smoked. I like my BLTs all bacon, no LT.. on white bread, plenty of mayo with a tall glass of milk...yum!
    RoyHarv
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 75
    RE: Brand/Type of Bacon for BLT's 2004/07/23 14:37:08 (permalink)
    Perhaps more important, do you want your bacon lean or fat? And how do you like it cooked?

My idea of perfect bacon is 99% fat - not that I can find such - and cooked until it is totally rendered, and the remaining fat is as light as air so that it disolves in your mouth. Pure flavor! Heaven!
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Brand/Type of Bacon for BLT's 2004/07/23 14:41:25 (permalink)
    I like a good W. VA. brand bacon, thick sliced, and 60% fat! Regular sliced works but crumbles too easy IMO.
    Have you ever accidently picked up "hotel" sliced bacon?? HORRORS!
    4fish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Brand/Type of Bacon for BLT's 2004/07/23 15:46:12 (permalink)
    I like Neuske's applewood-smoked, thick-sliced, peppered bacon. I can pick it up at my local food co-op, but if you can't find it, you can order it from their website at [url]www.neuske.com[/url]. This stuff is pure heaven!
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Brand/Type of Bacon for BLT's 2004/07/23 16:21:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by aleswench

Our butcher's bacon is the best (Sussex Meat Packing in Wharton, NJ for those that are in the area...) and Boar's Head, but it is tough to find. I just watched a show on FoodTV (Alton Brown?) that said the best way to cook bacon is in the oven on a rack with a pan underneath. Haven't tried it yet though!

This is probably a whole other thread, but does anybody else think Alton is dreamy??
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Brand/Type of Bacon for BLT's 2004/07/23 16:27:47 (permalink)
    quote:

This is the only way to cook bacon. Start it in a cold oven and heat it to 425 degrees, then give it about 20 minutes or so.
    santacruz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 372
    RE: Brand/Type of Bacon for BLT's 2004/07/23 17:34:02 (permalink)
    The Amana Colonies (IOWA) smoked bacon is excellent, for everday cooking I use Nieman Ranch applesmoked from Trader Joe's, they have it uncured or with the nitrates. It is thick, meaty and smokey very good.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Brand/Type of Bacon for BLT's 2004/07/23 18:34:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jennifer_4

store bought, Osacar Meyer... purchased online.. Amana, double smoked. I like my BLTs all bacon, no LT.. on white bread, plenty of mayo with a tall glass of milk...yum!

Bacon sandwiches are good too, but for them I personally use buttered bread (when you've got your arteries down, why not stomp on 'em!) for them rather than mayo as for a BLT.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Brand/Type of Bacon for BLT's 2004/07/23 18:36:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

quote:

This is the only way to cook bacon. Start it in a cold oven and heat it to 425 degrees, then give it about 20 minutes or so.

Geez, I guess if I had a rack that big, but in a frying pan I can cook a whole pound in "20 minutes or so". Of course, I guess you don't have to watch it in the oven.
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Brand/Type of Bacon for BLT's 2004/07/23 22:28:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by 4fish

I like Neuske's applewood-smoked, thick-sliced, peppered bacon. I can pick it up at my local food co-op, but if you can't find it, you can order it from their website at [url]www.neuske.com[/url]. This stuff is pure heaven!

I like Nueske's also. The local Fresh Market carries it as their premium offering. I would like it a little thicker sliced though.

I also break down every once in a while and get a whole slab from Berger's. Their bacon is a little saltier and very nicely smoked. Their roll sausage is also tops!

John
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1510
    RE: Brand/Type of Bacon for BLT's 2004/07/23 22:34:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by meowzart

quote:

This is probably a whole other thread, but does anybody else think Alton is dreamy??

I love Alton for his brain... if I want beefcake, I watch Tyler Florence
    Lucky Bishop
    RE: Brand/Type of Bacon for BLT's 2004/07/24 02:13:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

quote:

Geez, I guess if I had a rack that big, but in a frying pan I can cook a whole pound in "20 minutes or so". Of course, I guess you don't have to watch it in the oven.

I use a half-sheet pan with a rack to fit (about $10-12 each) on which I can bake a full 20-ounce package of slab bacon at once. And, as you say, while that's being taken care of in the oven, I can handle the potatoes and prep the biscuits, which go into the oven the second the bacon comes out (as soon as I boost the temp to about 500), and then I cook the eggs and drain the bacon drippings into the pot in the fridge while the biscuits are cooking. Start to finish for a full breakfast: about 40 minutes.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Brand/Type of Bacon for BLT's 2004/07/24 03:05:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    drain the bacon drippings into the pot in the fridge

OK, now I gotta change the subject for just a second, because those drippings are very important. I use them for all sorts of things, but one thing I use them for I was wondering about. You mentioned you were from New Mexico so here goes (I'm ready to duck!): I know that refried beans should properly be made with lard but I don't generally have that on hand so when I'm making myself a quick supper (rice, beans, jalapenos en escabeche and maybe a little crema rolled into corn tortillas as a burrito of sorts) I often open a can of refritos, which by themselves I find hopelessly tasteless, and "refry" them again in a little bacon grease. Would this get me lynched (not even counting the use of canned refritos) among those southwest natives of your home state or do any of 'em secretly do something similar themselves?
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Brand/Type of Bacon for BLT's 2004/07/24 05:35:44 (permalink)
    For a BLT, Corn King rules! Thin fatty and good. Oscar Mayer is tasteless. The Tyson hickory bacon is pretty great too.
    David Duck
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Brand/Type of Bacon for BLT's 2004/07/24 13:43:05 (permalink)
    We like Costco brand bacon. It's thick sliced and meaty, not too salty with some maple flavor. We also like Gatton Farms Father's from Kentucky and Nodine's from Connecticut. On our sandwiches, we replace the lettuce with basil and use some grated Parmesan. Very good!
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Brand/Type of Bacon for BLT's 2004/07/25 21:00:17 (permalink)
    quote:

America's Test Kitchen in their 'The Best Recipe' book has a similar method. Preheat oven to 400, put bacon in a shallow rimmed pan such as a jelly roll pan, pizza pan, etc. Cook a total of 10-12 minutes for thin sliced, 13 to 15 mins for thick sliced (ymmv). They recommend rotating the pan about half way thru, to compensate for any hot spots in the oven. Drain and serve. This is nearly foolproof and more forgiving if you happen to forget it than on the stove top.

Given the difficulty of fitting more than 4 or so 11" rashers of bacon in a 12" skillet, I use this method any time I'm cooking bacon for more than just me.
    Lucky Bishop
    RE: Brand/Type of Bacon for BLT's 2004/08/02 00:46:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

quote:
    drain the bacon drippings into the pot in the fridge

OK, now I gotta change the subject for just a second, because those drippings are very important. I use them for all sorts of things, but one thing I use them for I was wondering about. You mentioned you were from New Mexico so here goes (I'm ready to duck!): I know that refried beans should properly be made with lard but I don't generally have that on hand so when I'm making myself a quick supper (rice, beans, jalapenos en escabeche and maybe a little crema rolled into corn tortillas as a burrito of sorts) I often open a can of refritos, which by themselves I find hopelessly tasteless, and "refry" them again in a little bacon grease. Would this get me lynched (not even counting the use of canned refritos) among those southwest natives of your home state or do any of 'em secretly do something similar themselves?

Of course we do, and we're not at all secretive about it. Properly made refried beans are a multi-day affair, and who has the time? The only time you're ever likely to see "homemade" refried beans is around Christmas. However: the freeze-dried instant-style refried beans are a lot better than the canned: creamier, and less mushy.

Another New Mexico tradition: the best (and most traditional, if by "traditional," you mean "what people who live there actually eat") chile con queso is a pound of Velveeta, a can of Ro-Tel and about a teaspoon of cumin.
    johnnymolson
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Brand/Type of Bacon for BLT's 2004/08/13 04:43:26 (permalink)
    Double-smoked slab bacon from a good Polish deli makes the best BLTs.
    mek
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Brand/Type of Bacon for BLT's 2004/08/13 08:13:16 (permalink)
    The best I have found in Baltimore is from Egon Binkert, the German butcher.I buy it buy the slab.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1