Brats

Author
badbyron722
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 307
2009/06/26 14:27:41 (permalink)

Brats

Cooking some Brats on the grill this evening.Got the wife some Dos Equis chillin in the ice chest,and I bought a bottle of Jack for myself.Cocktails and Brats...yummy!

27 Replies Related Threads

Run2Eat
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 91
    Re:Brats 2009/06/26 14:29:53 (permalink)
    Life is indeed good isn't it...  
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10084
    Re:Brats 2009/06/26 16:01:28 (permalink)
    badbyron722

Cooking some Brats on the grill this evening.Got the wife some Dos Equis chillin in the ice chest,and I bought a bottle of Jack for myself.Cocktails and Brats...yummy!

Hope those are "Imported" Brats from WI! I can't imagine anyone in SC would know how to make a good Brat--BBQ, Yes--- Brats Questionable!!
    sk bob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:Brats 2009/06/26 18:16:47 (permalink)
    cooking brats on the grill.
    isn't that child abuse or something?
    somebody should report this guy.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18259
    Re:Brats 2009/06/26 19:13:11 (permalink)
    Foodbme

badbyron722

Hope those are "Imported" Brats from WI! I can't imagine anyone in SC would know how to make a good Brat--BBQ, Yes--- Brats Questionable!!

As much as I enjoy bratwurst, and as often as I go to the Bratwust Festival during the summer in the Bratwurst Capital of the World, Bucyrus, Ohio, the fact is, it's impossible to not cook a good brat.
    seatown76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 379
    Re:Brats 2009/06/26 21:26:42 (permalink)
    Silly Michael everyone knows the "Bratwurst Capital" is here in Sheboygan, Wisconsin.....LOL!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Brats 2009/06/26 21:30:18 (permalink)
    seatown76

Silly Michael everyone knows the "Bratwurst Capital" is here in Sheboygan, Wisconsin.....LOL!

All I can do is direct you accordingly:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/36701/bucyrus_bratwurst_festival.html?cat=16
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1838
    Re:Brats 2009/06/26 22:00:50 (permalink)
    sk bob

I can't even imagine not grilling brats.  Do you simmer your steak too?
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    Re:Brats 2009/06/26 22:21:46 (permalink)
    Living in Wisconsin, I love brats.But I admire anyone that enjoys them...
    seatown76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 379
    Re:Brats 2009/06/26 22:30:47 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

seatown76

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/36701/bucyrus_bratwurst_festival.html?cat=16

And here is one for you:

http://www.bratdays.org/

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Brats 2009/06/27 01:48:15 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

seatown76

To Quote from Michael's article:
    "Bucyrus is recognized the world over as the “Bratwurst Capital of America.” The state of Wisconsin is usually considered the authority on the bratwurst with annual celebrations in Sheboygan and Johnsonville, but in the early 1970s, Bucyrus took on Sheboygan in a “Battle of the Brats” and won, thus earning Bucyrus the much sought after title “Bratwurst Capital of America.”

That "Battle of the Brats" took place almost 40 years ago!!!

I can't believe that the Bratlovers from The Great State of WI would allow that distinction to stand unchallenged for that lengthy period of time!!!!  Sounds like some proud "WI Brat Stuffers" need to throw down the Gauntlet and Challenge those "Buckeye Brat Barons" to another BRAT-OFF!!! Since I'm in AZ and don't have a Dog in this Fight, I would be proud to volunteer to be a Judge in this Contest, assuming my First Class Travel expenses would be covered by the team that is the most serious about winning this Coveted Title. I'm sure there are any number of semi-impartial Roadfooders who would also like to be Judges.

The qualifications for Judges would be:
    1. You can't have been born in WI or OH.
    2. You can't have ever lived in WI or OH.
    3. And you can't have ever resided in any state that borders WI or OH.  
    Brat Lovin' Roadfooders in WI & OH need to put together a Team and meet at an impartial site about half way between WI & OH on Labor Day Weekend for a BRAT-OFF!!  Maybe somewhere mid-state on the IL-IN Border would work. Another option would be a home and home schedule. One year in WI and the next year in OH.  It's time to put your Brats where your mouth is!
    ANY INTEREST ROADFOODERS???

ANY TAKERS???????

I could see this same concept being applied to a Cincinnati - Texas Chili Cookoff, --A Chicago-N.NJ Hotdog Cookoff,--A NC-TN-KC BBQ Cookoff,-- A PNW-Gulf Coast Oyster Cookoff and on and on and on!

post edited by Foodbme - 2009/06/27 02:05:38
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Brats 2009/06/27 10:54:29 (permalink)
    All I know is that I love good bratwurst -- always simmered in beer and onions, and then grilled -- placed in a bun, topped with horseradish and some of the simmered onions.
    badbyron722
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 307
    Re:Brats 2009/06/27 11:11:37 (permalink)
    Foodbme

badbyron722

Never been to Wisconsin,but I can grill a brat with the best of them.
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    Re:Brats 2009/06/27 12:25:26 (permalink)
    Byron,
    Can you tell us the name of the Bratwurst you used? It is a local or regional brand?
    sk bob
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:Brats 2009/06/27 12:30:18 (permalink)
    WarToad

sk bob

I can't even imagine not grilling brats.  Do you simmer your steak too?

now I get it. I thought you were talking about children.
    those are those things that look like hot dogs.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Brats 2009/06/29 10:10:15 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

All I know is that I love good bratwurst -- always simmered in beer and onions, and then grilled -- placed in a bun, topped with horseradish and some of the simmered onions.

This is my favorite wat too Michael! I have 2 good local butcher shops that make their own, both are family owned, one in business over 100 years making all sorts of sausages including brats and their kicker brats which are spiced. The other, a newer place, also makes their own as well as being a full ine butcher shop and smoker. Good stuff any time of the year!
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re:Brats 2009/06/29 12:00:20 (permalink)
    seatown76

Michael Hoffman

seatown76

And here is one for you:

http://www.bratdays.org/

http://www.bratfest.com/
    and another...
    mjambro
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 429
    Re:Brats 2009/07/07 16:19:43 (permalink)
    Unfortunately, we don't have any locally made brats, bt we've been very pleased with Boars Head brats.  We find Johnsonville so so and I refuse to buy any Hillshire product due to their moronic ads.  
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2562
    Re:Brats 2009/07/07 22:48:41 (permalink)
    Foodbme

I can't believe that the Bratlovers from The Great State of WI would allow that distinction to stand unchallenged for that lengthy period of time!!!!  Sounds like some proud "WI Brat Stuffers" need to throw down the Gauntlet and Challenge those "Buckeye Brat Barons" to another BRAT-OFF!!! Since I'm in AZ and don't have a Dog in this Fight, I would be proud to volunteer to be a Judge in this Contest, assuming my First Class Travel expenses would be covered by the team that is the most serious about winning this Coveted Title. I'm sure there are any number of semi-impartial Roadfooders who would also like to be Judges.

Brat Lovin' Roadfooders in WI & OH need to put together a Team and meet at an impartial site about half way between WI & OH on Labor Day Weekend for a BRAT-OFF!!  Maybe somewhere mid-state on the IL-IN Border would work. Another option would be a home and home schedule. One year in WI and the next year in OH.  It's time to put your Brats where your mouth is!

ANY TAKERS???????

I could see this same concept being applied to a Cincinnati - Texas Chili Cookoff, --A Chicago-N.NJ Hotdog Cookoff,--A NC-TN-KC BBQ Cookoff,-- A PNW-Gulf Coast Oyster Cookoff and on and on and on!

Foodbme -

Thanks for spurring me on.  I've been thinking of doing a Best Brat in WI taste test for several years.  You may have sealed the deal.

I ate brats from Glenn's Market this weekend and have a new favorite.  I want to stack them up against all my other favorites - Miesfeld's, Karl's and RJ's.  I'll throw in the big names too - Johnsonville and Klement's - as well as any other favorites anyone wants to bring.  I've already convinced BuddyRoadhouse to bring brats back from RJ's in Hudson when he returns from his Twin Cities demo tour.

I lived in Ohio many years ago and recall the bratwurst there being a completely different style than we eat in Wisconsin.  However if they are Sheboygan-Style in Bucyrus, bring them on.

Jim
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Brats 2009/07/07 23:35:10 (permalink)
    JRPfeff

Foodbme

ANY TAKERS???????

Foodbme -

Thanks for spurring me on.  I've been thinking of doing a Best Brat in WI taste test for several years.  You may have sealed the deal.

I ate brats from Glenn's Market this weekend and have a new favorite.  I want to stack them up against all my other favorites - Miesfeld's, Karl's and RJ's.  I'll throw in the big names too - Johnsonville and Klement's - as well as any other favorites anyone wants to bring.  I've already convinced BuddyRoadhouse to bring brats back from RJ's in Hudson when he returns from his Twin Cities demo tour.

I lived in Ohio many years ago and recall the bratwurst there being a completely different style than we eat in Wisconsin.  However if they are Sheboygan-Style in Bucyrus, bring them on.

Jim

GO FOR IT JRPfeff!
    The more I think about it, I think the Home & Home approach would be the best format. Each town would host every other year.  I'll bet if you approached the Sheboygan Chamber of Commerce & the Bucyrus Chamber of Commerce you would stir up some interest and some support! The Food Network & the Travel Channel would be interested as well because it has a great story line. They always need new material.

Each community could hold "BRAT-OFFS" to determine who would represent their town.
    Then you could could have a "SUPER BRAT BOWL". 
    Great Revenue Generator for both towns--- PLUS INVALUABLE PUBLICITY for each community!!
    I'm a Freakin' Marketing Genius! But, I'm an Idea Guy not an Implementing Guy!
    post edited by Foodbme - 2009/07/07 23:50:08
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:Brats 2009/07/07 23:58:42 (permalink)
    It IS a good idea FoodB! I hope yall do it.

But oh... no self respecting Texas Chili cook would compete with Cincinnati chili. I will let someone else expound on the reasons. :~)
    Joe
    Jennie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 389
    Re:Brats 2009/07/08 12:20:06 (permalink)
    I only grill my brats when they refuse to tell me where they hid the remote.

We like our brats with onions and green peppers sauteed up, but due to hubby's diabetes, we eat them on low-carb flour tortillas with shredded cheddar and sour cream.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    Re:Brats 2009/07/08 13:36:26 (permalink)
    Jennie-i too am diabetic, and your idea sounds good.I have learned to eat a brat without a bun, and actually enjoy it.I do simmer them in onions, beer, and green pepper, and finish on the grill. Then I simply dunk each piece I eat in a good Dusseldorf mustard. By the way, JRPfeff, Usingers has a new( or at least to me)brat that has onions in it. I have always preferred others, as you have stated(I can walk to Karls) but these are really good!
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3140
    Re:Brats 2009/07/08 13:39:50 (permalink)
    More and more people I know are eating their hotdogs, sausages, Metts, brats etc on tortillas.

I wonder if the hotdog carts will begin offering this option in the future?
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Brats 2009/07/08 23:16:17 (permalink)
    This recent discussion sparked my Fertile Marketing Mind! (That's the only thing I have left that's "Fertile"!)

I can see it now!!
    MEXI-DOGS!--- Wrapped in a flour tortilla like a burrito with a wide assortment of toppings--tomatoes, lettuce, salsa, refried beans, etc.
    GERMAN-MEXI-DOGS!-- Hot Dog Wrapped in a Flour Tortilla with Sauerkraut & Onions!
    CHICAGO--MEXI-DOGS!- Vienna Dog wrapped in a flour tortilla!
    Typical Chicago Toppings

ETC< ETC< ETC
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2562
    Re:Brats 2009/07/09 21:32:45 (permalink)

Would you believe ... that they even serve brats on tortillas in Germany?  With pineapple?  And arugula?

It's true.

post edited by JRPfeff - 2009/07/09 21:35:36
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Brats 2009/07/09 21:50:58 (permalink)
    Foodbme

This recent discussion sparked my Fertile Marketing Mind! (That's the only thing I have left that's "Fertile"!)

I can see it now!!
    MEXI-DOGS!--- Wrapped in a flour tortilla like a burrito with a wide assortment of toppings--tomatoes, lettuce, salsa, refried beans, etc.
    GERMAN-MEXI-DOGS!-- Hot Dog Wrapped in a Flour Tortilla with Sauerkraut & Onions!
    CHICAGO--MEXI-DOGS!- Vienna Dog wrapped in a flour tortilla!
    Typical Chicago Toppings

ETC< ETC< ETC
    The future mega hotdog purveyor will be thinking out of the box like this - also - think pita bread wraps..

NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Brats 2009/07/09 21:52:19 (permalink)
    JRPfeff

Would you believe ... that they even serve brats on tortillas in Germany?  With pineapple?  And arugula?

It's true.

..that is almost as gross as putting pineapple on pizza...

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1