Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
2006/01/13 20:38:33 (permalink)

Brazillian churrascarias/steakhouse

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/13571314.htm

Has anyone been to a restaurant of this type?
The concept sounds rather interesting, and I am moving to Myrtle Beach very soon.
This will be on my list to check out.
But leave it to the corporate giants to stick their noses into this type of cuisine.

37 Replies Related Threads

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7384
    RE: Brazillian churrascarias/steakhouse 2006/01/14 04:10:22 (permalink)
    Yes! And I loved it! First experience was in a restaurant on Cambridge St. in Boston. Brazilian friends took me there but warned, "it's good, but in Brazil it's fantastic!" Two years later I went to Brazil with a friend. First meal out we had tiro guosto.....small portions of grilled food, meat, cheese, etc., that you "pick" on while drinking beer, outside. Next night we went to a churrascaria in Belo Horizonte. Wonderful! My friend said, "you haven't seen anything yet". We went to Rio to a churrascaria that faced Ipanema beach. He was right. I was blown out of the water. The spread of hors d'oeuvres, appetizers, salads and side dishes went on forever, there were over 100 items, elegantly displayed. Then came the skewers of meats. At least 8 different cuts of beef and lamb, pork, sausage, chicken, chicken hearts, on and on and on. They place the skewer (which is about 4 feet long) on your plate and carve.

Try it by all means!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: Brazillian churrascarias/steakhouse 2006/01/14 08:10:59 (permalink)
    I have always wanted to try one of these places. The closest one to Knoxville is in Atlanta.

I am sure they are much better in Brazil.

I was at a very similar place in Buenos Aires several years ago. Super food, fries were great and some of the best red wine I have ever had. Argentine beef is super. I think it may be that they are mostly fed a type of blue stem grass?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: Brazillian churrascarias/steakhouse 2006/01/14 09:11:11 (permalink)
    I ate at one on I-Drive and it was hideously salty:
    http://www.wheregreggeats.com/fl.htm ... read the red essay.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18947
    RE: Brazillian churrascarias/steakhouse 2006/01/14 09:24:41 (permalink)
    They're finally opening one in the Columbus area, but they're not mentioning the word churrascaria.
    tmiles
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2042
    RE: Brazillian churrascarias/steakhouse 2006/01/14 10:13:21 (permalink)
    The Brazilian/american chief at an Itali/Ameri/Nouv/Hotspot restaurant that I go to has mentioned one to me that is in Framingham , Mass. He has suggested that I try it. I will not say more lest I get him in trouble.........both he and his boss lurk here, but I do think that it is a real and fast growing concept. Here in Massachusetts, Brazilians are rapidly becoming an important part of our urban ethnic mix, and I have heard more than once that they are moving into management and ownership positions faster than anyone expected. I understand that a bright 30ish Brazilian who has been working here in the food biz for say 8 to 10 years, is a hot property for partnering with people who want to invest in the restaurant biz. I am sure that dreams of Brazil concept chains are hatching all over the USA.
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Brazillian churrascarias/steakhouse 2006/01/14 10:20:45 (permalink)
    We finally got one here in Fresno.. Here you are brought out little side dishes before the main parade of meats.. Since the chef is a local culinary legend, I expected to be blown away. I was. In a bad way. While the meats were all very memorable...the side dishes were sub par...something you'd find in a school cafeteria or worse... canned mixed veggies, cold spinach, stale cheese biscuits.. I think they were concentrating so hard on the meats, they totally ignored the side dishes.. on my second visit, the side dishes hadn't improved and the meat was tough and less flavorful.. I don't think I'll be going back simply because it's so expensive and the service and food have declined.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1106
    RE: Brazillian churrascarias/steakhouse 2006/01/14 10:23:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

They're finally opening one in the Columbus area, but they're not mentioning the word churrascaria.

Where? And when does it open?
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Brazillian churrascarias/steakhouse 2006/01/14 11:29:13 (permalink)
    Once I get to Myrtle Beach, I will try the one mentioned in the article, and whenever the TBonz one opens I will try that also.
    Just corporate dabbling scares me!
    Thanks for all the input!
    Tara
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18947
    RE: Brazillian churrascarias/steakhouse 2006/01/14 11:43:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hatteras04

quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Where? And when does it open?

Amazon Grill Steak House. It's scheduled to open Jan. 25 at Crosswoods. 242 East Campous View Boulevard, in the former Romano's Macaroni Grill location.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Brazillian churrascarias/steakhouse 2006/01/14 17:06:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tmiles

The Brazilian/american chief at an Itali/Ameri/Nouv/Hotspot restaurant that I go to has mentioned one to me that is in Framingham , Mass. He has suggested that I try it. I will not say more lest I get him in trouble.........both he and his boss lurk here, but I do think that it is a real and fast growing concept. Here in Massachusetts, Brazilians are rapidly becoming an important part of our urban ethnic mix, and I have heard more than once that they are moving into management and ownership positions faster than anyone expected. I understand that a bright 30ish Brazilian who has been working here in the food biz for say 8 to 10 years, is a hot property for partnering with people who want to invest in the restaurant biz. I am sure that dreams of Brazil concept chains are hatching all over the USA.

As not to upset the apple cart, I emailed you for the address of the above mentioned restaurant. I used to live in Marlboro, and now I am in Maine and do occasionally get down that way to visit friends, and would like to try that place out.
    And of course hit JP's for a lobster roll.
    Tara
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Brazillian churrascarias/steakhouse 2006/01/14 18:46:26 (permalink)
    Gosh,
    They're all over the place here, but they're practically wall-to-wall in the Ironbound section of Newark, N.J., which has a large Portuguese and Brazilian population.

Guess I'll try it.

A slight segue here: if you like your carbs, the Portuguese restaurants here are king. The yellow rice and very thin sliced round fries (only a little thicker than potato chips), both of which which generally accompany your meal, are great in many places.

But can I get a breaded fried pork tenderloin sandwich in NJ? 'fraid not.
    The Bear
    tigerborn
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Brazillian churrascarias/steakhouse 2006/01/14 20:37:19 (permalink)
    Fogo de Chao in Atlanta is great but the drinks are SUPER strong. I ordered one mojito, which they served in a small glass and I drank an few sips and was practically knocked out for the rest of the meal. Granted, I'm a lightweight with alcohol but I'm usually able to finish one mixed drink.
    Fire of Brazil in Atlanta is decent. During special holidays, they offer exotic meats such as boar and alligator in addition to the standard churrascaria stuff. Boi Na Braza is also decent but the environment in Fogo de Chao is better. Fogo de Chao has opened a location in D.C.
    In Cleveland, Brasa Grill is good too.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7384
    RE: Brazillian churrascarias/steakhouse 2006/01/15 02:13:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

I ate at one on I-Drive and it was hideously salty

I have often heard this complaint. At the Midwest Grill on Cambridge St. I found the meat to be just a tad too salted for me (the Brazilians LOVE salt) but in Brazil the meat was seasoned perfectly.

Anyone trying a churrascaria (or other Brazilian restaurant) should be sure to try fried yucca and feijoada. Feijoada is the Brazilian national dish, a stew of black beans, pork and collard greens and is very delicious!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: Brazillian churrascarias/steakhouse 2006/01/15 05:33:30 (permalink)
    Since we have very few Brazilians in Knoxville, I guess it will be quite a while before Knoxville gets one of these restaurants. I think I will drive to Atlanta to try one. I under stand that the one in Atlanta is very good.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 2042
    RE: Brazillian churrascarias/steakhouse 2006/01/16 09:15:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

quote:

As not to upset the apple cart, I emailed you for the address of the above mentioned restaurant. I used to live in Marlboro, and now I am in Maine and do occasionally get down that way to visit friends, and would like to try that place out.
    Tara

I don't know the name of the place, but he said it is on Rt 9 eastbound a little past the exit for Framingham State College. The topic that I didn't want to touch is why the chief at a very good restaurant would tell me to go someplace else.
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: Brazillian churrascarias/steakhouse 2006/01/16 10:19:46 (permalink)
    We have a bunch in the Danbury, CT area. They are very good but also on the salty side as others have mentioned.
    LindaW
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: Brazillian churrascarias/steakhouse 2006/01/16 11:11:35 (permalink)
    I'd love to see something like this open in the Capital District of NY...that's Albany, Troy, Schenectady...or even in Clifton Park or Saratoga.....Portugese and Brazilian cuisine is seriously lacking up here.!!!
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Brazillian churrascarias/steakhouse 2006/01/16 21:31:23 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

quote:

Tara

I don't know the name of the place, but he said it is on Rt 9 eastbound a little past the exit for Framingham State College. The topic that I didn't want to touch is why the chief at a very good restaurant would tell me to go someplace else.

Wink, wink.. Gotcha!
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Brazillian churrascarias/steakhouse 2006/01/18 08:32:54 (permalink)
    Almost all beef in the world is grass finished except in the USA where it is grain finished. The taste difference is very great.

The South Ameerican steak houses in Amsterdam are wonderful and many. The ones in the states have disappointed me.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5117
    RE: Brazillian churrascarias/steakhouse 2006/01/18 08:40:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by V960

Almost all beef in the world is grass finished except in the USA where it is grain finished. The taste difference is very great.

The South Ameerican steak houses in Amsterdam are wonderful and many. The ones in the states have disappointed me.

Next time you are in NY try one of a few outstanding Argentinian steak places...you won't be disappointed. Perhaps there is one where you are...I only know of the ones near my home...but have found them to be quite good.

As for the subject of this thread, there are quite a few in my area. The early years and the first ones were quite good, but my last couple of visits have just been okay. As with most places that make mass quantities of food available (IE: buffets), the volume is better than the quality. I can find places that cost less, have better food, and don't tempt me into eating more than I should...more than anyone should!!
    V960
    RE: Brazillian churrascarias/steakhouse 2006/01/18 17:02:11 (permalink)
    Tony,
    I agree, the NYC or ATL steakhouses are generally excellent but expensive. I am lucky enough to have my own steers and raise them in a "bunny hugger" fashion. They are grass finished, killed in the field (no fear induced), and feed about three quarts of beer a day for the last month of their lives. Our swine get the same treatment. The chickens don't get the beer but are pastured.

Makes a huge difference. We raise ten steers per year and have a waiting list. Last person who dropped off the list died.
    rjb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: Brazillian churrascarias/steakhouse 2006/01/18 17:23:41 (permalink)
    Plataforma in NYC is very good and is particularly fun if you have a large group. Main drawback to this place (and I presume others) is that there is often a loutish segment of the crowd that interprets the "eat all you want" concept to "stuff yourself as much as you possibly can"

Also, they share the annoying habit of shuttling you off to the bar even though you have a confirmed reservation and are on time. Course, the "stuff yourself" crowd may make it harder than normal to keep things on schedule.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Brazillian churrascarias/steakhouse 2006/01/21 19:43:08 (permalink)
    quote:

Tony,
    I agree, the NYC or ATL steakhouses are generally excellent but expensive. I am lucky enough to have my own steers and raise them in a "bunny hugger" fashion. They are grass finished, killed in the field (no fear induced), and feed about three quarts of beer a day for the last month of their lives. Our swine get the same treatment. The chickens don't get the beer but are pastured.

Makes a huge difference. We raise ten steers per year and have a waiting list. Last person who dropped off the list died.

Interesting about the beer.. What does it do for them?
    hefried
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Brazillian churrascarias/steakhouse 2006/01/21 20:04:48 (permalink)
    i just noticed there is a new churriscia ( sp??) in Portland... i saw an add in the paper. haven't heard of anyone going. i'd like to try.
    hefried
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Brazillian churrascarias/steakhouse 2006/01/21 20:07:42 (permalink)
    quote:

Tony,

beeeer? does it marinate them before thay are slaughtered? whoa. cool. i'm sure it musr be great beef! lucky!!!!!!
    V960
    RE: Brazillian churrascarias/steakhouse 2006/01/23 09:04:51 (permalink)
    We buy a keg and put it in the barn for a month before slaughter. Sweetfeed and beer for dinner...don't give them a massage like
    Kobe beef but just say nice things to them.
    WorldTraveler
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Brazillian churrascarias/steakhouse 2006/01/23 11:24:20 (permalink)
    Ventured out to the grand opening on Saturday at the Columbus one. Disappointed. No liquor license yet. Only 6 types of meat that night-ran out of prime rib by 730pm. Ran out of shrimp cocktail by 645. The buffet area is EXTREMELY SMALL, not a lot of variety and your server will have to serve you the soup they have available. They skimped on things, yet oddly enough the pricing changed even before opening night- went from $19.95 (which is about right, Columbus Ohio style), up to $22.95 per adult. Which is pushing it and frankly since the only items they had were beef kabobs, chicken, spicy sausages, turkey, bacon wrapped turkey and the salmon that had to be passed via server...there's not a lot that tied it to being unique or amazon-like. No pig being pushed around, no lamb, no rabbit, no alligator, no skirt steak, no vinison. Nothing particulary unique that I couldn't cook in my own kitchen. I've been to two others, Hackensack, NJ and Phoenix, AZ and both of those were within price range- yes, even NJ, to this ohio one and Ohio failed in comparison. The NJ one was only $24.95 and it was HUGE w/side tables, buffets. Just tremendously different and a much better experience. The one in Phoenix was excellent as well. Ohio may not be full of as many red necks as you might think.. the majority of them don't like the variety or style of food and the price would pretty much knock them out of the market. The dishes on the buffet that they offered were quite tasty.. I just don't think they'll change much about their offering--except the price. Seems they're going to raise the price again in 6 months. Good luck to them.
    Milt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 354
    RE: Brazillian churrascarias/steakhouse 2006/02/05 20:03:37 (permalink)
    Fogo de Chao was the first churrascaria to open in the Atlanta area. The second was Carro de Boi. A friend, who was raised in Brazil, mentioned that Carro de Boi was better and cheaper. We have been so pleased that we have not felt the need to pay 60% more to eat at Fogo de Chao. There must be six or so different churrascarias in metro Atlanta now. The salad bar at Carro de Boi is so impressive that I could be totally satisfied with only the salad bar, even though I go there for the meat - which is fantastic.
    johnnymolson
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Brazillian churrascarias/steakhouse 2006/02/12 05:18:25 (permalink)
    I tried Greenfield churrascaria when I was on vacation in Washington last summer. Loved it! I wish I had one in my area. Nothing like having a variety of fresh, hot meat being delivered to your table and carved right onto your plate!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1