Bread making

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
Re:Bread making 2012/12/24 21:33:36 (permalink)
Welcome to Roadfood Antilope!
Antilope
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 56
Re:Bread making 2012/12/24 21:38:19 (permalink)
Here's another favorite bread machine recipe I developed:

King's Hawaiian Bread Copycat for Bread Machine

This recipe makes a single 2-pound loaf.

Ingredients

3/4 cup pineapple juice (from heavy syrup, canned)*
1 egg
1/3 cup white granulated sugar
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1/3 cup prepared mashed potatoes (from instant ok)
3/4 teaspoon table salt
1/4 teaspoon ground dried ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
2 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
1 pkg bread machine or instant yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
4 Tablespoons Butter Flavored Crisco, softened
4 to 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Directions

1. In a mixing bowl, stir together the pineapple juice, egg, sugar, yogurt, mashed potatoes, salt, ginger, vanilla extract, lemon extract, yellow food coloring (optional), and bread machine or instant yeast. Mix well. Add mixed ingredients to bread machine.

2. Add Butter Flavored Crisco, in Tablespoon sized pieces, to the bread machine.

3. Add 4 cups of all-purpose flour to the bread machine.

4. Set the bread machine for Sweet Bread Cycle (or White Bread if your machine doesn't have a Sweet Bread Cycle) and 2 pound loaf, medium color crust. Press Start.

5. After dough has mixed for a few minutes, add a little water or flour as needed to form a smooth ball of dough. It should be a smooth dough ball that holds its shape and not like a batter.

6. When the bread is done, remove from machine and allow to cool before slicing.

*There is about 3/4 cup of liquid in a 20 oz can of Pineapple. Add a little water if necessary to make 3/4 cup. Save the Pineapple pieces for another use.
Antilope
Hamburger
Re:Bread making 2012/12/25 00:51:01 (permalink)
CCinNJ

Welcome to Roadfood Antilope!

Thank you for the welcome CCinNJ. I appreciate it! 
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
Re:Bread making 2012/12/25 09:50:53 (permalink)
My pleasure.

What type of bread machine do you have?

I enjoy the bread machine because I don't have much of a natural instinct to want to bake...so it's like doing laundry (which I enjoy) and getting a loaf of bread instead of clothes at the end of the cycle.

Phishmonger
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 217
Re:Bread making 2012/12/25 10:34:20 (permalink)
I also use a bread machine for all the bread I use. As I am on a gluten-free diet, it's the only way I can get acceptable bread, as the frozen stuff is ghastly. I use "Gluten Free Pantry" brand (their Sandwich Bread type) and it's great. Easy prep, too. Also use it for GF bread crumbs, essential for meatballs, meatloaf, breading for baking, etc. I have a Sunbeam machine, just a basic type, and it works fine. I'm often tempted to make the dough, then take it out to rise and bake in the oven, but have determined that's too much work :>). Cheers and a Merry Christmas to all! I enjoy all the forum conversations daily.
kevincad
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 405
Re:Bread making 2012/12/25 10:38:40 (permalink)
lleechef

I also don't use a bread machine.  I agree with everything Davydd has said above.  The one thing I learned is to ignore that "let rise 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in bulk".  Forget about the time.  Temperature, humidity and altitude have a lot to do with yeast.  Sometimes it has taken my dough 3 hours to double.  Just be patient. 

But then there was the time I decided to capture wild yeast in the air.......no, I won't go into that here.

Guess I never thought of getting a bread machine because my great-grandmother, grandfather and mother all made it by hand.   

There are a lot of similarities to bread making and beer making! I've also (accidently) captured wild yeast when brewing, and it's not a good thing!!!
Antilope
Hamburger
Re:Bread making 2012/12/25 12:23:34 (permalink)
CCinNJ

My pleasure.

What type of bread machine do you have?

I enjoy the bread machine because I don't have much of a natural instinct to want to bake...so it's like doing laundry (which I enjoy) and getting a loaf of bread instead of clothes at the end of the cycle.

I currently have a Breadman. It was on sale at Amazon, that's why I got it, even though my old machine still works, it is a Sunbeam. They all work about the same. I just make sure to get one with separate cycles so I can just use the Dough and Bake cycles as needed.
Antilope
Hamburger
Re:Bread making 2012/12/25 12:28:17 (permalink)
Olive Bread for Bread Machine

I created this recipe by combining several olive bread recipes. I baked a loaf recently and my family really likes it. 
The olives, rosemary and basil releases a wonderful aroma while it's baking and carries through to the finished product when you eat it. Try it warm spread with butter. It makes wonderful savory toast the next day.

Makes one 2-lb loaf

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup of brine (juice) from jar of green olives,
1 1/3 cups of warm water
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon table salt
1 1/2 teaspoons dried leaf basil
1 1/2 teaspoons crushed dry rosemary 
4 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
2 1/4 teaspoons (or 1 packet) active dry, bread machine or instant yeast

1/3 cup drained black olives, sliced into fine rings
1/3 cup drained green olives, sliced into fine rings (pimento stuffed olives ok)

Preparation:

Mix 1/3 cup of olive brine in a 2-cup measure; add enough warm water to make a total of 1 2/3 cups of liquid. 

Add all ingredients (except for the sliced olives) into the bread machine in the order given. 

Select Basic or White Bread setting; 2-lb loaf; medium crust.

If required, add more water or flour, a tablespoon at a time, to form a firm, slightly sticky, non-crumbly
ball of dough.

Add the sliced olives at the beep.

Makes one 2-lb loaf of olive bread.
fabulousoyster
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1855
Re:Bread making 2012/12/27 21:24:56 (permalink)
A little sugar and yeast in the machine should do it.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1