Breakfast Across the States

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 679
Re:Breakfast Across the States 2011/05/20 11:54:34 (permalink)
From my years of living in TN, I'd probably give a slight edge to Log Cabin over Pancake Pantry, but there's not *that* much difference food-wise.  They do have a different ambiance as well.
californyguy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 513
Re:Breakfast Across the States 2011/05/20 12:28:21 (permalink)
here is one from salinas ca- am reposting my roadfood review

sangs cafe
Just outside the Steinbeck Center Musuem( great place for all Steinbeck fans),I saw what looked like a little place called Sangs Cafe- what drew me to it was a sign that said John Steinbeck ate here. I went in and thought I stepped back in time - a horsehoe shaped counter with stools and large dining area full of folks happily muching on their breakfasts.
The food was fantastic beyond any expectation- I had two eggs, the most lucsious homemade corn beef hash, and the aboslute hands down best has browns I have ever had, and let me tell you I have scarfed down more than my share of hash browns in 50 plus years. These were perfectly crisp and browned .well seasoned, about a good half inch thick , moist on the inside - I am still raving about them! The portions of the corned beef and hash browns were enormous , so laRGE that my eyes poped out of my head when I saw the plate coming my way.I also noticed the llunch menu and would love to go back- meat loaf, roast pork with stuffing and I saw a flinstone sized lamb shank coming out of the kitchen- evberything seemed to be in the ten dollar or so range...amazing roadfood nirvana- if you are ever in the region this place is worth a detour to get to..now the sad part of the tale- the plate was so huge , I had the waitress take it away after eating only half the potatos and corned beef as I was afraid if I ate it all I would pass out in the musuem- also had a long ride home, but wow what a place ........Sangs is a treasure , and yes talked with the owner(son of the original owner) and Steinbeck did eat there often- I can see why!!

[lang="0"]

iceomat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 104
Re:Breakfast Across the States 2011/07/11 00:15:25 (permalink)
mealot

Oklahoma:  Occasionally I watch “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives” but not too often because it makes me hungry and I end up going to the refrigerator for a snack which I really shouldn’t have.  But I did see when the show was in Norman at The Diner and the breakfast burrito looked awesome so I jotted it down as a must-stop.  Then I noticed that if I followed my schedule I would be in Norman on a Saturday. If it’s anything like Madison WI something tells me that I don’t want to be in this town if the Sooners are playing at home.  I looked up the schedule and sure enough Texas Tech was playing at Oklahoma.  I could try to get there when they first opened in the morning and then get out of town or maybe find something in Oklahoma City. 

I have three suggestions for OKC and all are just a few blocks from I-40:

Los Comales Authentic Mexican taqueria  featuring  breakfast tacos and burritos.
Nic's Grill Very small (10 or so seats) cafe that has great food. He was on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives as well. Watch here 
Cattlemen's Steakhouse Yes they do breakfast and they open at 6 a.m.
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1