Hot!Breakfast, Beer, Barbecue, BPT, Beans and Bulldogs

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6813
Re:Breakfast, Beer, Barbecue, BPT, Beans and Bulldogs 2014/05/20 14:49:31 (permalink)
Spam?  Really?  Just when I was starting to like this report.......JUST KIDDING!  Great report and beautiful pictures!!! 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18441
Re:Breakfast, Beer, Barbecue, BPT, Beans and Bulldogs 2014/05/20 15:06:52 (permalink)
Thanks for brining me along. It's a wonderful report.
mlm
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 228
Re:Breakfast, Beer, Barbecue, BPT, Beans and Bulldogs 2014/05/20 15:23:41 (permalink)
I like Frank's website. Nice and retro and the building and food look nice also. I understand that pizza took off after World War 2 in the United States because U.S. military personnel had eaten it in Europe. I suspect it had always been eaten in Italian communities in the U.S.
mlm
Cheeseburger
Re:Breakfast, Beer, Barbecue, BPT, Beans and Bulldogs 2014/05/20 15:30:10 (permalink)
Did you sample the Cranberry barbeque sauce? I saw you took a photo of it. Even if I didn't pour it over my meat, I think I would have had to taste it just to be able to say I had.
brisketboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1109
Re:Breakfast, Beer, Barbecue, BPT, Beans and Bulldogs 2014/05/20 15:31:12 (permalink)
That spam musubi had me rolling on the floor. I love that stuff. Learned to love spam being a young sailor with a family stationed in Pearl Harbor. Now every time I go back I make sure to grab a few sit at the beach and scarf them sown.
mlm
Cheeseburger
Re:Breakfast, Beer, Barbecue, BPT, Beans and Bulldogs 2014/05/20 15:34:46 (permalink)
Glad you were brave enough to get a good photo of the church, especially after you almost got hit by debris! I suspect if the church is of local reknown, the police might have seen people in funny positions before. I think that it is admirable that you can lie down on a sidewalk and get back up. I'm so gimpy the police would have had to help me up and I could not have gone down on purpose.
will_work_4_bbq
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 421
Re:Breakfast, Beer, Barbecue, BPT, Beans and Bulldogs 2014/05/20 21:25:41 (permalink)
Enjoyed your report very much!  I like your mix of foods and restaurants.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5069
Re:Breakfast, Beer, Barbecue, BPT, Beans and Bulldogs 2014/05/21 11:53:35 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

Thanks for brining me along. It's a wonderful report.
We always knew you're a bit on the salty side!

mlm

Did you sample the Cranberry barbeque sauce? I saw you took a photo of it. Even if I didn't pour it over my meat, I think I would have had to taste it just to be able to say I had.
I did and it wasn't excessively fruity, tart, or sweet...but I liked the other 2 more traditional sauces.  IIRC 1 of the sauces on the other side was plum-based and it seemed sweeter.

Thank you all for the nice words!  Rural locations, especially in the Midwest, are always my preferred areas to travel through and to.
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 211
Re:Breakfast, Beer, Barbecue, BPT, Beans and Bulldogs 2014/06/09 19:20:51 (permalink)
How on earth did I miss this thread?  Fantastic food-voyage!  You hit some places I love - and some places that I somehow never got around to trying before departing for the coast.  

That bratburger looks marvelous, and is pure unadulterated Wisconsin.  (Funny how bratwurst isn't a notable thing here in CT, where plenty of other wursts are done very well!)  Those biscuits and gravy from Katina's make me feel warm and comfy just looking at them.  Lagomarcino's... well, what can I say? A QC landmark, and one of the few remaining authentic establishments of its kind.  May it stand for a thousand years.

That white pizza from Felix & Oscar's looks amazing.  I've never been there - I don't know the DSM area quite as well as other parts of Iowa - but I do have friends in Ankeny and Ames and may need to use them as an excuse to try that place.  

Interesting to see Harris and Frank's in the same visit! I'm glad you got to familiarize yourself with the QC style! They're not interchangeable, but they're both delicious examples of the style, and I give the edge to Harris although that may simply be because I had it more often; we didn't get out to Silvis that much.

I have some other places for you to try next time you're in the area... 
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:Breakfast, Beer, Barbecue, BPT, Beans and Bulldogs 2014/06/09 21:18:31 (permalink)
Thanks!  This was by far the most food-centric Iowa trip I've taken and adding the extra day definitely opened up some opportunities.

I don't know when I'll next be passing through the QC; it could possibly be as long as next April or as soon as the next Craigslist bargain, but I'd certainly be happy to read any suggestions.  Thanks for the help!
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6373
Re:Breakfast, Beer, Barbecue, BPT, Beans and Bulldogs 2014/06/09 23:22:24 (permalink)
That's a good solid piece of pork on that BPT. I'm not enamored by any of those pizzas. Of course I can't taste a photo but I suspect any pizza with burnt cheese.
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re:Breakfast, Beer, Barbecue, BPT, Beans and Bulldogs 2014/06/11 08:46:39 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken

I don't know when I'll next be passing through the QC; it could possibly be as long as next April or as soon as the next Craigslist bargain, but I'd certainly be happy to read any suggestions.  Thanks for the help!

Off the top of my head:

Fat Boy's Pizza
Would you like to try another fine example of the QC style?  My dad patronized this place in the '70s and introduced me to it once I was old enough for pizza.  The last time I had them, some years ago, their sausage was even more finely-ground than Harris or Frank's and the cheese was superior.  I can't quite recall whether the sausage is sufficiently fennelly for your tastes, though.  A lesser-known establishment, but isn't that in the spirit of Roadfood?

Happy Joe's
Mentioned them in my own trip report thread.  Just as Harris is definitive QC-style, Happy Joe's is definitive taco pizza.  Also, they dice their Canadian bacon as finely as they grind their sausage, although the sausage is a little different from standard QC.  The crust has a signature crisp underside + chewy interior.  It's really a unique and beloved product, and if you get only one pizza during your next trip, Happy Joe's should be it.  Depending on how many people you have available to split things with, I would get two pies: one taco, one half-CB/half-sausage.

Hungry Hobo
Wonderful subs, and I say that having had my standards raised by living in CT, but what you really want to get here is a baked potato.  Specifically, the Taco Tato: a spud drowned in a gorgeous mess of chili, cheese, chips, lettuce, and tomato. Sour cream and onions are optional.  Get them. 

Jim's Rib Haven
When I was a kid, we'd take the odd weekend to visit this place for a pile o' ribs, which I think stand up against anything I had in Kansas City.  That's high praise, isn't it?  Their other fare is excellent as well, but stick to the ribs.  

The Filling Station
One word: wings.

The Machine Shed
Formerly the Iowa Machine Shed, this is the place to go for the meat of the heartland served in an almost clichéd heartland setting.  Pork chops, steaks, comfort food, rotund folks in John Deere hats.

Bier Stube 
Superlative beer, sausage and cheese platter, other German food.  There are a few locations but the Moline one is my preference.  

Bent River Brewery
And speaking of beer, here should be your other destination for that.  Pretty much everything they put out is good - my favorites are the Uncommon Stout and Mississippi Blonde - but the real star is the seasonal Jingle Java, well known among local beer connoisseurs.  

And there you have it.  I have suggestions for the Iowa City and Des Moines areas as well! :)
post edited by Ketteract - 2014/06/11 08:50:05
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:Breakfast, Beer, Barbecue, BPT, Beans and Bulldogs 2014/06/11 08:59:55 (permalink)
Thanks!

Fat Boy's turned up when I was doing my Google searches but I was focused mainly on Harris and Frank's as they're the "name" places.

Years ago there was a Happy Joe's in Belvidere IL; I drove past it many times but never ate there (same for the one in Cascade IA).  However, I have to say that taco pizza just isn't my thing so I'd probably order something more traditional like sausage & mushroom.

I've had a couple of Hungry Hobo sandwiches before but never a potato, so thanks for the tip!

One of the Bent River locations is right down the street from Lagomarcino's and I walked past it, but didn't go in.

Jim's was also on the prospect list but got axed because pizza was the main focus.  I definitely want to check it out sometime.

Machine Shed's a definite no, though, as I'm afraid I'd run into Wanderingjew.  Seriously, I've eaten at the one in Urbandale (Des Moines) several times.

Thanks again!
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re:Breakfast, Beer, Barbecue, BPT, Beans and Bulldogs 2014/06/11 10:03:30 (permalink)
I definitely think Fat Boy's is worth a try, partly because it's always valuable to compare lesser-known places to the more famous ones.  Like here in CT, Frank Pepe/Sally's/Modern in New Haven get all the hype, but there are some other gems that are every bit as good with a fraction of the traffic!

Any pizza you get from Happy Joe's must include sausage and Canadian bacon - ideally, separated, so that you can get a focused taste of each.  

Anyway, good luck next time!  How I ache for Iowa and its food.  It's amazing what you suddenly miss very, very badly once the option is removed, even if you didn't go there all that much to begin with...
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7835
Re:Breakfast, Beer, Barbecue, BPT, Beans and Bulldogs 2014/06/11 10:12:44 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken

Machine Shed's a definite no, though, as I'm afraid I'd run into Wanderingjew.  Seriously, I've eaten at the one in Urbandale (Des Moines) several times.

Thanks again!

On a serious note- it appears my prediction I made 10 years ago is right on the money
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=57635&high=white+way+cafe
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 854
Re:Breakfast, Beer, Barbecue, BPT, Beans and Bulldogs 2014/06/11 12:08:23 (permalink)
Thank you
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4232
Re:Breakfast, Beer, Barbecue, BPT, Beans and Bulldogs 2014/06/11 13:39:20 (permalink)
Ketteract,
You don't say when you last visited Jim's Rib Haven.  At one time I would have wholeheartedly agreed with that recommendation, but the last time we visited, there was a definite slip in quality.  I've seen multiple reports here and on other websites with similar observations.  Not sure what happened, but Jim's ain't what it used to be.

Buddy
phlmaestro
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 370
Re:Breakfast, Beer, Barbecue, BPT, Beans and Bulldogs 2014/06/11 14:49:59 (permalink)
Great report, Screaming Chicken! 
If you ever want a change of scenery for that weekend, the Penn Relays are held in Philly every year the same time that the Drake Relays are held in IA.  I think most the track and field world is in one of the two places that weekend.
My stepfather is an official at the Penn Relays. My mother usually throws a party with lots of food for his track and field friends that are in town.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6373
Re:Breakfast, Beer, Barbecue, BPT, Beans and Bulldogs 2014/06/11 15:27:13 (permalink)
wanderingjew

ScreamingChicken

Thanks again!

On a serious note- it appears my prediction I made 10 years ago is right on the money

Isn't the Machine Shed the Cracker Barrel equivalent for pork?
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7835
Re:Breakfast, Beer, Barbecue, BPT, Beans and Bulldogs 2014/06/11 15:48:42 (permalink)
Davydd

wanderingjew

ScreamingChicken

Thanks again!

Isn't the Machine Shed the Cracker Barrel equivalent for pork?

I don't know, you're asking the wrong person. You need to ask Michael or Jane Stern.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:Breakfast, Beer, Barbecue, BPT, Beans and Bulldogs 2014/06/12 10:23:56 (permalink)
phlmaestro

Great report, Screaming Chicken! 
If you ever want a change of scenery for that weekend, the Penn Relays are held in Philly every year the same time that the Drake Relays are held in IA.  I think most the track and field world is in one of the two places that weekend.
My stepfather is an official at the Penn Relays. My mother usually throws a party with lots of food for his track and field friends that are in town.
Thanks!

And the Kansas and Texas Relays are only a week or 2 in 1 direction or the other IIRC.  I appreciate the suggestion but my fellow Drake alumni wouldn't be too happy with me if I went to Penn!
TnTinCT
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 481
Re:Breakfast, Beer, Barbecue, BPT, Beans and Bulldogs 2014/06/12 11:22:08 (permalink)
Really enjoyed your report and pics. There is something about hitting the local roads and all the lovely neighborhood places available.
love2bake
  • Total Posts : 1389
Re:Breakfast, Beer, Barbecue, BPT, Beans and Bulldogs 2014/06/13 11:23:03 (permalink)
Looks like a fun trip!  That bacon from Katrina's Kitchen looked mighty fine. 

In the QC area I like to visit Whitey's Ice Cream.  I'm particularly fond of their black raspberry shake.

Here's some info about their history: 
http://www.whiteysicecrea...s_Ice_Cream.aspx?nt=38
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re:Breakfast, Beer, Barbecue, BPT, Beans and Bulldogs 2014/06/13 12:08:22 (permalink)
love2bake

Looks like a fun trip!  That bacon from Katrina's Kitchen looked mighty fine. 

In the QC area I like to visit Whitey's Ice Cream.  I'm particularly fond of their black raspberry shake.

Here's some info about their history: 
http://www.whiteysicecrea...s_Ice_Cream.aspx?nt=38

My all-time favorite Whitey's flavor is German Chocolate.  I had it when I was back home for Christmas, and then weeks later my mom tried to get it and discovered it was holiday-only!

Other favorites include Tin Roof, Moose Tracks, and Black Cherry.  And the Turtle Sundae.  And the Chipper ice cream sandwich (I remember when that was $1!).
love2bake
  • Total Posts : 1389
Re:Breakfast, Beer, Barbecue, BPT, Beans and Bulldogs 2014/06/13 13:54:40 (permalink)
Ketteract

My all-time favorite Whitey's flavor is German Chocolate.  I had it when I was back home for Christmas, and then weeks later my mom tried to get it and discovered it was holiday-only!

Other favorites include Tin Roof, Moose Tracks, and Black Cherry.  And the Turtle Sundae.  And the Chipper ice cream sandwich (I remember when that was $1!).

Obviously, I need to go back!! 
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1