Breakfast Item for Hot Dog Truck

Author
Graeme
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
2005/05/30 13:49:16 (permalink)

Breakfast Item for Hot Dog Truck

A friend of mine has a hot dog truck. Sell during lunch at office complexes, attends local fairs and markets. At the fairs and markets he's usually there early. Some folks, who I just don't understand, say hot dogs aren't breakfast food.

Got any ideas for "bun food" that could be easily cooked on a grill? I have another post looking for a ham and scrambled egg "hot dog" I once bought at a C-store.

Graeme

10 Replies Related Threads

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Breakfast Item for Hot Dog Truck 2005/05/30 14:07:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Graeme

A friend of mine has a hot dog truck. Sell during lunch at office complexes, attends local fairs and markets. At the fairs and markets he's usually there early. Some folks, who I just don't understand, say hot dogs aren't breakfast food.

Got any ideas for "bun food" that could be easily cooked on a grill? I have another post looking for a ham and scrambled egg "hot dog" I once bought at a C-store.

Graeme

Get yourself some egg rings (to cook eggs with), a steam holding bin (warming bin), some good bulk sausage (patties), & some sliced cheese.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Breakfast Item for Hot Dog Truck 2005/05/30 15:00:07 (permalink)
    Make a scrambled egg omlet that you just scoop and toss in the bun... (example: chopped ham, green peppers, onions, cheese, salt, pepper all scrambled in with the egg.. might be kind of messy, but...)

Greyghost
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Breakfast Item for Hot Dog Truck 2005/05/30 16:57:28 (permalink)
    Hot Dogs for breakfast? I can see why there may be some consumer resistance there. What to do? If it were me I would want minimal change and added expense.

The egg & sausage breakfast sandwich sounds good, but then you are in two different businesses.

Brats and Brots are widely accepted as breakfast sausage. To reinforce the idea serve them on a pancake or waffle bun. Keep them as a breakfast item only, which will motivate your breakfast crowd to get them while they can.
    hefried
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Breakfast Item for Hot Dog Truck 2005/05/31 11:11:39 (permalink)
    do you have oven facilities else where that you could prepare something else to bring for Bfast times? like muffins or something. or buy some locally fresh made ones and "up" the price for those sillies who won't eat hotdogs for breakfast.....y'ud make buko bucks. boo ko bucks (SPELLTHAt>?!?!!?!?!?)
    royhaygood
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Breakfast Item for Hot Dog Truck 2005/05/31 11:37:08 (permalink)
    Beau coup.
    hefried
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Breakfast Item for Hot Dog Truck 2005/05/31 19:32:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by royhaygood

Beau coup.

noooooooooooooooooooooooo?!!?!?!?!?!!!?!
    txtwister
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 259
    RE: Breakfast Item for Hot Dog Truck 2005/06/01 14:09:00 (permalink)
    I'd go a different route, just because I really wouldn't want sausage-tasting hot dogs at lunch, or hot-dog tasting sausage in the morning, and even if he's cleaned the grill well... the perception will be there.

I'd go with breakfast burritos like we buy from our favorite mom and pop grocery here. Just wrap 'em in foil and keep them warm near the grill. My favorites are the usual - eggs/ham/cheese or eggs/sausage/cheese, or if we get there early enough (these sell out FAST) potato/meat (which is diced potatoes and, well... sometimes it's better not to ask exactly what KIND of meat - it's got kind of a ground beef "feel" to it, but not...) or the "brisket" burritos - which seems like an odd b'fast choice, but if you consider the fact that there's no WAY this is actually brisket, I'm pretty sure it's barbacoa but again, sometimes you just trust the source and don't get too picky about the details.

I wouldn't hesitate to use low-carb tortillas as well - nothing like finding a niche.

Anyway - one reason breakfast burritos are great is that you can easily take them back to the office instead of juggling breakfast/briefcase/purse/etc on the street.

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13477
    RE: Breakfast Item for Hot Dog Truck 2005/06/01 14:43:07 (permalink)
    I have noticed at a lot of the Pilot Travel centers, they are now serving on their rotating hot dog grill a breakfast menu of sausage and egg that resembles a hot dog and a cheeseburger that has the same appearance. Perhaps you should review with your supplier your options on this.

While traveling, I frequenly stop at the pilot Travel centers as they are well spaced on interstate. They do a huge business with these breakfast sausages.

Paul E. Smith
    knoxville, TN
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18277
    RE: Breakfast Item for Hot Dog Truck 2005/06/01 15:27:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by royhaygood

Beau coup.

beaucoup
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3287
    RE: Breakfast Item for Hot Dog Truck 2005/06/08 19:55:42 (permalink)
    Serve cheeseburgers for breakfast. Check out the post under hamburgers.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1