Breakfast around the world

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/11/21 21:52:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

Coffee. Green figs. Yogurt. Bond, James Bond.

Naw. I don't believe THAT, Bushie. Not for one minute. You been talkin' to Jethro B.

I'm a double-ought spy, and I'll kill any SOB who begs to differ...
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/11/26 08:52:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by miaculpa

If you want good pancakes, you have do venture over the Channel to Amsterdam for theirs...or to Sweden.

yummmmmmmm

Dutch breakfasts are so good and filling. The breakfasts included in your hotel stay often preclude the need for a midday meal if you're on a budget. I stayed at the Hotel Cok in Amsterdam when I was participating in a 4 week "exchange" program in the Netherlands. Included in the roomrate was this huge breakfast with all sorts of breads (especially loved the thick dark brown bread and the bread with bits of fruit in it), eggs any way you wanted them, great whopping pancakes, thick slabs of bacon, and delicious coffee. Juice was available as well. At the end of the beverage counter in the breakfast room was a beautiful delft blue and white ceramic urn with a spigot, which I assumed held orange juice. Instead, I found that it held something that looked like apple juice. When I brought the glass closer to my nose, I discovered that it was, in fact, beer. One of my Dutch advisors on this trip later told me that beer is an integral part of dining in the Netherlands and is not uncommonly imbibed with breakfast. At any rate, I went back for the orange juice, instead.

These days, in the interest of my arteries, and to save calories for more interesting stuff, I typically have one hard boiled egg for breakfast and then a handful of unsalted almonds at 10:00 a.m. Still, I'd have to have some of that dark bread with butter if I was back in Amsterdam.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3173
RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/11/26 10:32:42 (permalink)
I just read through these and they all sound good; really! I've a friend whose Irish pub serves that Irish breakfast on Sundays. We go every year to Jamaica so ackee 'n saltfish is something I look forward to along with bun 'n cheese, callalo and fresh OJ. In town I'll hit a "soul food" restaurant for country ham, grits and biscuits something I look forward to on our yearly trip to Memphis, Helena and Clarksdale. I do believe pizza never tastes as good as it does cold the next morning (though I'll do a Diet Pepsi, thank you). I never fried leftover rice but I enjoy cold Asian foods the next morning immensely. A trip to Chicago or St. Louis will find us scarfing down White Castles cheeseburgers for breakfast preferrable Jalapeño cheese. Montreal found us with my all-time favorite croissant filled with a freshly fried egg and cheese. Mexican chorizo or even Saturday menudo rocks. A reall good rye or pumpernickle toasted is sublime as is toasted sourdough. When I golfed, a favorite course was run by two Italian fellows who served Italian sausage and peppers with toasted Italian bread along with the eggs for breakfast which beats most bacon or sausge. This morning I made when my mom used to call eggs in the nest; buttered, pan fried bread slices with an egg fried in the center. I guess it's all good. I even enjoyed the pork and beans an English run resort once served us.
Mattken85
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/11/27 23:52:57 (permalink)
good ole southern fried taters, bacon, scrambled eggs, homemade biscuits smothered in gravy (and sometimes CHOCALATE GRAVY man that is good stuff.) it's kinda simple and plain but it can't be beat
ScreenBear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/11/28 10:09:44 (permalink)
Does anyone know what Eggs, Country Style, are? There was a grill man here at a diner that always made them for me. But then the diner was bought by a firm in Germany and shipped there. The former owner/grill man moved away. I've never found a satisfactory breakfast place in this area since.

I'm not exactly sure of the procedure. That's what he called them...Country Style. I usually got it with hash browns and link sausage, split, and toasted rye bread with butter.

It appeared that he began by cooking them sunny side up, and when they got a bit firm, he would flip them over, and with the edge of the spatula he would break the yolk, but without mixing the yellow with the white, and if so, only slightly.

No matter what diner or eatery I've been to since, no one seems capable of mimicing this dish, or, they don't want to, or, don't understand, or have no patience with the fickle customer. It seems that no one else even calls it Country Style. Any opinions? Can you help a Roadfooder out here?
Ashphalt
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/12/23 11:03:06 (permalink)
New England Yankee breakfast: Baked beans on toast. Yum!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18857
RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/12/23 12:22:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ScreenBear

Does anyone know what Eggs, Country Style, are? There was a grill man here at a diner that always made them for me. But then the diner was bought by a firm in Germany and shipped there. The former owner/grill man moved away. I've never found a satisfactory breakfast place in this area since.

I'm not exactly sure of the procedure. That's what he called them...Country Style. I usually got it with hash browns and link sausage, split, and toasted rye bread with butter.

It appeared that he began by cooking them sunny side up, and when they got a bit firm, he would flip them over, and with the edge of the spatula he would break the yolk, but without mixing the yellow with the white, and if so, only slightly.

No matter what diner or eatery I've been to since, no one seems capable of mimicing this dish, or, they don't want to, or, don't understand, or have no patience with the fickle customer. It seems that no one else even calls it Country Style. Any opinions? Can you help a Roadfooder out here?

I could have sworn I posted an response yesterday in which I said your description sounds like eggs cooked "over-hard," as opposed to over-easy or over-medium.
ScreenBear
RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/12/23 14:45:03 (permalink)
Mr. Hoffman,
Indeed I read your response. I guess, like Jack Dempsey's Restaurant, it's gone.

In any case, nope, not quite over hard...otherwise it would be easy enough to order.

The white mixes with the yellow, yet only somewhat, both halves sort of keeping their own integrity. And, I really got to like it that way.

I'm not dexterous enough with the spatula to duplicate it. Maybe I dreamt it.
The Bear

ScreenBear
RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/12/23 15:00:05 (permalink)
Mr. Hoffman,
Nope, correction. I know what it was. I posted it here originally, and then, in another forum, I said I was re-posting there, hoping it would be a more suitable place to find an answer.
I didn't dream it.

Maybe I also didn't dream I had a new Ferrari F430 Spyder, red. Hold on, I'm going to check the driveway.
The Bear
janicks
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 72
RE: Breakfast around the world 2006/02/19 08:18:23 (permalink)
I have been cooking eggs in a diner in Indiana most my life.. and I am 44 . I have not heard of country style... though what you are talking about sounds like over medium well to me.
ScreenBear
RE: Breakfast around the world 2006/02/19 09:57:24 (permalink)
Janicks,
If I ever make it to Nick's Kitchen for that famous Breaded Fried Tenderloin Sandwich, I will make it a point to also have breakfast, at which point I will try the eggs over medium well...just to see if that's it.
The Bear
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Breakfast around the world 2006/02/19 10:15:32 (permalink)
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2005-12-07-pizza-breakfast_x.htm

stevencarry
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 359
RE: Breakfast around the world 2006/02/24 01:20:55 (permalink)
My quick weekday breakfast sandwich (healthy to make up for weekends}

9 Grain Toast
Egg Whites
Pepper Jack chs melted on top after flipping egg
Roasted red pepper slices (Mezzetta brand jar)
Jalapeno slices (Giuliano brand jar)
A little Cholula hot sauce

Roadhouse Roadfood on weekends
Or if in a hurry on road it's
McDonald's Steak/Egg/Cheese Bagel and Hash Brown
Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1511
RE: Breakfast around the world 2006/02/24 05:01:52 (permalink)
"culturally", when we lived in Oklahoma, it was fried rabbit and gravy with biscuits.. best breakfast I ever had! But my all time fave breakfast is cold pizza..
Kenny da Fat Man
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 98
RE: Breakfast around the world 2006/02/24 11:39:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sumi62

Hello everyone. It is my first time to post here though I have been reading other people's for a while.
I am just curious about the kinds of breakfasts that are being serve in different parts of the world.

I'm a big fan of breakfast in Hawaii!

I lived in Hawaii for some time and they serve up spicey Portuguese sausage, rice and eggs (even McDonald's offers it w/ breakfast!). Also Hawaiians LOVE Spam (and so do I...)

But the really unique breakfast item in Hawaii is a dish called Loco Moco. Loco Moco is a lip smacking taste temptation, consisting of a heap of white rice topped with a juicy hamburger patty and a sunnyside-up egg, then smothered in brown gravy. Just about every breakfast place in the islands has it on the menu. Sometimes the hamburger is mixed with country gravy, or sometimes they use shredded pork, teriyaki beef, or shrimp, but usually it's made the traditional way (my favorite). Try it with some Portuguese sausage on the side! I'm getting all rumbly grumbly just thinking about it!
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3173
RE: Breakfast around the world 2006/02/24 21:46:16 (permalink)
We just returned from the Treasure Beach area in Jamaica. It's an unspoiled fishing village that has discovered low impact tourism. One of our favorite breakfast places is a place called The Heart of Love Bakery. Featuring french style baguettes, our favorite is an omelet filled with cheese, some sliced scotch bonnet peppers, onions and callaloo which is similar to spinach. After starting out with fresh squeezed orange juice, a cup of Blue Mountain coffee, a few slices of that french bread, some home guava jelly and some fresh sliced papaya, watermelon, banana, this omelet was fit for a king.
Catracks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 196
RE: Breakfast around the world 2006/03/07 14:05:48 (permalink)
quote:

Screenbear,
Late answer but that's exactly how I make my eggs at home. No restaurant would understand eggs like that. I usually use bacon or sausage grease or olive oil, get the grease real hot so you get lacy edges, break egg into pan, let white set, break yolk with edge of spatula and spread it a bit but do not mix, spinkle with pepper, flip and cook through. Sometimes I smash them down after flipping.

This never had a name, but my grandmother used to cook them this way for me. My dad who like pokey yokes (runny bleech!) used to call them "shoe leather eggs." I don't think they're tough at all and they are a nice change for people who must have their eggs cooked through.
BlueberrieSwirl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Breakfast around the world 2006/03/10 00:13:01 (permalink)
I'm not too picky..hehe.

Scrambled eggs with salsa and cheddar cheese, breakfast burritos of every kind.. a nice bowl of gazpacho with a side of garlic toast. I haven't actually had that last one yet, but it's been bugging me for a while and I may yet get it made.

I almost OD'd on omelets and egg scrambles when I went on Atkins. That lasted about a year, and I lost a good deal of weight.

A good egg roll, or a handful of tiny potstickers can also be good, for when I'm feeling like a change.

And yep, cold pizza, cold chicken.. or a breakfast biscuit (made at home).
ScreenBear
RE: Breakfast around the world 2006/03/10 01:33:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Catracks

quote:

Screenbear,
Late answer but that's exactly how I make my eggs at home. No restaurant would understand eggs like that. I usually use bacon or sausage grease or olive oil, get the grease real hot so you get lacy edges, break egg into pan, let white set, break yolk with edge of spatula and spread it a bit but do not mix, sprinkle with pepper, flip and cook through. Sometimes I smash them down after flipping.

This never had a name, but my grandmother used to cook them this way for me. My dad who like pokey yokes (runny bleech!) used to call them "shoe leather eggs." I don't think they're tough at all and they are a nice change for people who must have their eggs cooked through.

Sounds correct. Any chance you'll be opening a diner in NJ?
The Bear
Catracks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 196
RE: Breakfast around the world 2006/03/11 18:51:17 (permalink)
Only if New Jersey develops a Mediterranian climate. I almost froze to death during basic training in Ft. Dix. 40 below and freezing rain -- bbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I think we should call them "frizzled eggs." That's a good word that's just not used anymore. Makes me think of fry on high heat.

V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: Breakfast around the world 2006/04/07 08:08:04 (permalink)
A southern fav...pork brains scambled w/ eggs. We even havee canned pork brains in the groceery stores.
Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: Breakfast around the world 2006/04/07 16:44:33 (permalink)
Ok, there are limits to what I'll eat. I eat beef tongue. I find it one of my favorite foods.

But brains? C'mon.
V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: Breakfast around the world 2006/04/08 14:05:45 (permalink)
Really...the put pig's brains in a can here in the south. On the shelf at your local grocery store.

now fried shad roe at the coast is fantastic. Now is the season by the way.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
RE: Breakfast around the world 2006/04/08 14:55:07 (permalink)
Due to the fact that my former company was based in Germany, I have to travel a lot across the pond and I enjoyed many German Breakfasts. A lot of different kinds of breads, cheese, cold cuts, fish, condiments, strong coffee, tea and jellies.

It really got so that I did not miss American Breakfast although many places advertise "American Breakfast" or at least their version of it.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
dogmeat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 113
RE: Breakfast around the world 2006/04/09 11:25:41 (permalink)
I'm headed out the door on a Sunday for "Southern" brunch:

Fresh cut fruit
hand cut Neuskies Double Applewood smoked bacon
portobello & grlled asparagus eggs benedict w/key lime hollandaise sauce
fried rockshrimp grits w/Neuskies bacon gravy

and for dessert, drumroll please... Plugra grilled 2" slab of peameal bacon cubed with pure maple syrup poured over it!!

(we are very good at importing quality stuff down here in FL)
Williamsburger
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 395
RE: Breakfast around the world 2006/04/12 11:23:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by V960

A southern fav...pork brains scambled w/ eggs. We even havee canned pork brains in the groceery stores.

Yum! My grandmother used to make this. We ate it for supper with biscuits and jam. I never learned to make it and now she is gone. I don't think she used canned brains though - hers were out of a plastic tub.

Cathy
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3314
RE: Breakfast around the world 2006/04/12 19:38:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Due to the fact that my former company was based in Germany, I have to travel a lot across the pond and I enjoyed many German Breakfasts. A lot of different kinds of breads, cheese, cold cuts, fish, condiments, strong coffee, tea and jellies.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

During a 30 day driving vacation through Europe(France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and Amsterdam), we spent 3 nights at the Hotel Uhland in Munich. The buffet breakfast included: razor thin cold cuts, hard rolls, cheese, yogurt, granola, fresh fruit, fresh juice, the finest hard boiled eggs, and good strong coffee. The German buffet breakfasts were my favorite and I made it a point of eating early every morning to assure myself that those great cold cuts would be there. Once the buffet ran out of certain items, they weren't replenished.

CSD
Born in Chicago
Escaped to Wisconsin
Selling Vienna Beef hot dogs/Polish
plb
  • Total Posts : 1037
RE: Breakfast around the world 2006/04/12 21:44:23 (permalink)
Northern China:
Warm soybean milk, sweetened
Long, very greasy “Chinese donuts” for dipping
Flat sesame seeded bread, with sort of dried beef shank inside
Wontons in hot oil sauce
Rice gruel with little pickled things (veggies, little fish, and who knows what else)

I noticed that the person who started this tread only posted once.
curried bluebonnet
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 108
RE: Breakfast around the world 2006/04/13 01:09:30 (permalink)
Don't eat bkfast like I should--too much coffee--though make bacon and toaster waffles for son each day" />. Love all the breakfast ideas from other countries. On weekends usually make hubby a bkfast taco with scrambled eggs, cheese, bacon, Cholula in a tortilla, or a quasi-Egg McMuffin--hard cooked egg, Canadian bacon, cheese on English Muffin. My fav, which I have 2 times a year if I'm lucky--Eggs Benedict--am I the only one who likes this rich, heart clogging treat? I also adore grits, though do not get them or make them very often. Anybody remember soft-boiled eggs with toast strips? I will make those for myself every now and then, though must add curry powder with the salt and pepper when eating them.
hawkeyejohn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 257
RE: Breakfast around the world 2006/04/13 10:36:24 (permalink)
A good old fashion camping breakfast of fried potatoes, scambled eggs and fried fish.

Also, how about scrapple with maple syrup and eggs.

Or just really good biscuits and sausage gravy with fresh cracked black pepper and maybe a splash of Tabasco.

All with lots of good strong coffee.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1