Breakfast around the world

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
sumi62
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2005/10/13 15:54:26 (permalink)

Breakfast around the world

Hello everyone. It is my first time to post here though I have been reading other people's for a while.
I am just curious about the kinds of breakfasts that are being serve in different parts of the world. When I (used to) eat breakfast, my mom will simply pan-fry up some overnight cold rice with oil, salt and pepper. (The rice has to be overnight and cold before frying, otherwise it won't taste right). That's how my family does it and I am sure a lot of Asian families do that too.
My favourite, however, it's "the works". You know, bacon (I gave up on my vegetarianism for that!!), scrambled eggs, hash brown, toast with jam, and maybe some fruit. Too bad it's 4 in the afternoon now or I will go get some at the mom and pop's down the street. So what do you eat for breakfast (culturally)?

80 Replies Related Threads

lunasatic
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 283
    RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/10/13 16:35:54 (permalink)
    Leftover cold pizza & Dr Pepper!
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/10/13 17:41:36 (permalink)
    During the week, or when in a hurry...toast or cereal with (good) coffee.

During the weekend...egg white sandwiches on a roll (lots of spices and olive oil) or Italian Toast and very good (imported, strong) coffee.

If I'm going out, I'm about 50% omelets, 50% sweets (french toast/pancakes)---something I don't make at home.

Also, leftovers I've eaten for breakfast---cold pizza, ice cream cake, pie or birthday cake.

V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/10/14 09:25:50 (permalink)
    B'fast...AHHH

European is so much like an American lunch buffet but w/ eggs added.

Japanese...truely my fav at the big hotels, of course it costs $40, and another glass of oj is $7 but what the hey.

And natto...just to give the day a good start.

Lexi
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 248
    RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/10/14 10:40:35 (permalink)
    I'm a big fan of Middle Eastern breakfast - cheeses, yogurt - the really thick, plain variety - salad, olives, fresh fruit or juice and great strong coffee. Sometimes smoked fish or herring in cream sauce! I'm not a sweet eater, especially in the AM, so this really gets me going.

Otherwise I'm all for the old-fashioned Southern spread with grits - cheese and garlic 'natch - sausage gravy and good biscuits. Coffee and the NY Times - heavenly!
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/10/14 11:12:06 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    I rarely eat breakfast, never did even when I was a kid. But when I do have breakfast, usually in the winter on a weekend, I love scrambled eggs, toast, bacon, and orange juice. If not that, chipped-beef gravy with a lot of pepper over white bread and a Dr. Pepper.
    When I eat, I like to eat slowly, and on workdays I'm always running late, so I pass it by. I wish I was more disciplined to enjoy a good breakfast.
    Question: do you eat breakfast by yourself or with your family?
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/10/14 11:39:00 (permalink)
    After twelve years w/ a Japanese company I tend to eat b'fasts that most Americans wouldn't touch. Our family really only eats b'fast together on Sunday mornings. Waffles, bacon and pancakes are the standard. I eat my b'fast off to the side since it does have an odor offensive to most western noses. Natto is the stinky element. Ume close behind.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6900
    RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/10/15 02:15:54 (permalink)
    Breakfast in France! Croissants, broiche, baguette....all served with cheese and butter and if it was at my neighbor's house (farmers) the cheese and butter were made at the farm. Coffee served in bowls with hot milk and sugar. Croissant and coffee on the Champs Elysees is not to shabby either!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/10/15 11:22:17 (permalink)
    Jamaican breakfasts----wonderful!! lets see-there is "bun and cheese"--the bun being somwhat like a large-burger bun sized cookie that is a cross between a molasses cookie and gingerbread--it is split and filled with a slice of english chedder type cheese that comes in a can--then there is toasted hard dough bread!!!(i'd kill for a loaf right now!!--the BEST white bread i ever ate!!!)--toasted and topped with fried ripe plantain---and plantain porridge-grated plantain and coconut milk cooked nice and thick and mixed with sweetened condenced milk---and of course Coco Tea!!!---which is the local version of hot choclate---i used to get my raw chocolate in "logs" about 6 inches long from a lady in the small village i lived in---Mrs McIntosh--who i learned later on was the mother of reggae star Peter Tosh--neat lady! If it wasnt coco tea it was coffee--which i bought from another lady neigbor--she grew it in the yard and roasted it in a pan over an open fire in the yard--FABULOUS coffee!!! ands then of course--dessert!!! The local ice cream vendor would start wondering around town with his small cooler early---often coming by after breakfast--great flavors too--although only one at a time---my favorite was grapenut which for some reason was very popular---Janie liked the mango!!!--and of course there is ALWAYS fresh fruit in Jamaica of one kind or another---mangos-nesberry!!!!-ginnep!!!and green coconuts!!!!!!
    Mark in Ohio
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 181
    RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/10/15 12:17:12 (permalink)
    Breakfast in a little village in western Nepal: popcorn and tea with sugar and buffalo milk.
    Mitchell25418
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/10/15 12:48:05 (permalink)
    Full Irish breakfast is the best:
    eggs - any style
    Bangers - sausage
    Irish Bacon
    Black & White pudding
    Broiled tomato's
    Beans
    toast
    miaculpa
    Junior Burger
    RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/10/15 23:23:04 (permalink)
    When I was a kid, my Filipina mother would often fry cold rice in the mornings too...hers would be very VERY garlicky, with golden bits of fried garlic, an egg scrambled in, and seasoned with soy sauce and lots of black pepper. She put in MSG, I recall (but I detest that stuff!)

I love Israeli breakfasts with their thick sour cream and jam concoctions, shakshouka eggs in peppery tomato sause.

I also adore a good English or Scot's breakfast with black pudding, eggs, broiled tomatoes.
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/10/16 01:48:30 (permalink)
    farina
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/10/16 07:06:02 (permalink)
    We took our honeymoon in Scotland and loved the breakfasts there. Heavy, stick to your ribs, black pudding, fried eggs, dark break .... mmmm
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6379
    RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/10/24 20:50:08 (permalink)
    The British Isle breakfast with black pudding and broiled tomatoes didn't do much for me. The rest was OK. Bacon was great. Realized pancakes were practically unknown there.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6379
    RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/10/24 21:00:06 (permalink)
    Had some great breakfasts in Cochabamba, Bolivia. The Diplomat Hotel had a buffet of several fruits and at least 5 different fruit juices every morning. Down the street, Dumbo's had a full line up of breakfasts. The only strange thing was the potatoes were generally what we think of as French fries but they were cold. They served Empanadas and Saltenas. The can best be described as small pastie like servings a little smaller than your fist. Inside were meats, potatoes and vegetables. The ones we had also had a small hard boiled quail egg inside.

But the best thing of all was the price. I had the Americanos one day that consisted of coffee, juice, 2 eggs, bacon, potatoes, toast and a pastry all for $1.75.
    miaculpa
    Junior Burger
    RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/10/24 21:16:39 (permalink)
    If you want good pancakes, you have do venture over the Channel to Amsterdam for theirs...or to Sweden.

yummmmmmmm
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/10/25 01:37:57 (permalink)
    The non hot or cold cereal breakfasts served here at Casa Verde are usually a weekend occurance. They are usually:

1. Chorizo and scrambled eggs with pico de gallo, corn tortillas, bananas in coconut cream, and hot champurrado to drink

2. Blueberry waffles, mushroom or chili scramble, "extra hot and spicy" breakfast sausages, coffee and juice
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/10/25 20:51:53 (permalink)

***********************BREAKFAST IN MY NEXT LIFE************************
    In my next life I plan to eat really big breakfasts...breakfasts that some restaurants euphemistically call "The Heart Attacker" or the "The Super Big Artery Clogger" or the "For Sure They'll Carry You Out On a Stretcher Delight."

There will be Country Style Eggs (at least 3), a few patty sausages (my favorite) as well as a few links, just to show me what I'm missin'; some biscuits, with gravy of course; a few rashers of bacon, simply because nothing else comes in rashers; two good sized waffles, with just real fresh butter and confectioners sugar on them; two thick slices of toasted pumpernickel bread with melted butter on them; a banana nut muffin (a big one that looks like a mushroom) and oh yes, a really great cup of coffee...the kind of coffee that you remark about: "Boy...this is good coffee."

And that's my plan. And, just to show I'm in earnest, after I lose about 10 more lbs. I'll practice for that next life by having that breakfast in this life...hopefully at the Hancock Hotel, Hancock, Vermont.
    shandy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/11/21 14:52:00 (permalink)
    Hi, all! Happy to have found this intriguing forum. I work for a firm that designs children's museums, and we're currently working on an exhibit about the importance of breakfast. We're trying to help kids and parents realize there are many more options for breakfast than the "usual suspects" of the American table. Any breakfast experiences/options from other cultures that you can share are much appreciated. Thanks!
    hefried
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/11/21 15:04:08 (permalink)
    culturally i am a full on american, we just had cereal or toast or both. special days bacon and eggs ( usually scrambled)
    during college it was a big deal to go out to breakfast after partying and get the big breatfasts with eggs, bacon sausage pancakes hashbrowns etc.. etc..
    i love that now and at least once a week i make a hashbrown or pancake breakfast with eggs and usually bacon but some times sausage.
    two " foreign" breakfasts ive really enjoyed are the loco moco in hawaii, the eggs and hamburger patties oeer sticky rice with gravy. yum
    and i loved breakfast in the little vilages in mexico.. if we went out(restaurant) they'd have eggs and bacon and potatoes , but always served with so yummy refried beans and of course tortilla and chihlipeppers. yum. when we ate at our little hut we'd eat avocado and hardboiled egg and these rolls called bolillos. oh so goood.
    johns72604
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 74
    RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/11/21 15:05:03 (permalink)
    I like to make scrambled eggs, sausage or bacon, and hashbrowns, and pita bread. Then I slide it all into the pita and go to town.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13510
    RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/11/21 17:44:14 (permalink)
    Having spent much time in Germany, I learned to appreciate their breakfast althought it was totally different.

Mostly bread, cheese, fish, cold cuts and that was about all.

I always enjoy a Diet Coke. Never could they understand that I wanted that staple for breakfast.

I learned to enjoy bread, butter, jams and jellies along with some cold cuts with my Diet Coke which I had a hard time obtaining.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/11/21 18:06:00 (permalink)
    I realy like smoked salmon in the morning.
    On a bagel; under an egg (w/ or w/o hollandaise); plain or w/capers; on top of a hard piece of bread; wrapped around a piece of gently steamed asparagus...

It's good, and I don't do it nearly enough.

But sometimes, a piece of toast cut into triangles with strawberry jam and a strong cup of coffee works well too.

Diet coke is a staple. Before breakfast and after breakfast. Even when I'm brewing coffee, I'll kill a glass of diet coke while it's brewing.

prius
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 109
    RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/11/21 19:27:55 (permalink)
    Homemade biscuit, Stadler country ham, cheese grits, eggs over lightly, OJ. Hungry already. As if you needed another reason to move South.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/11/21 19:57:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by prius

Homemade biscuit, Stadler country ham, cheese grits, eggs over lightly, OJ. Hungry already. As if you needed another reason to move South.

ok. I miss the south.

BluePlate
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/11/21 20:00:10 (permalink)
    Gimme a cup of strong black coffee, a slice of sharp cheese and some english toasting bread, toasted of course.
    Barring that, If I'm lucky enough to find myself back in South Texas on a Sunday morning, then a trip to my local barbacoa/homemade tortilla shack, {slow cooked beef cheek meat}. Put the barbacoa on fresh, warm corn tortillas, with some diced onion, cilantro, salt and lime, chase with ice cold orange juice and watch the sun come up on South Padre Island and cast your line into the surf and hope for some black drum or sheepshead for lunch.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/11/21 20:01:14 (permalink)
    Breakfast ain't ready till the grits is done; along with some local link sausage, eggs over easy to semi-medium, and some fresh cooked corn pone with blackberry jam.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/11/21 20:41:45 (permalink)
    Coffee. Green figs. Yogurt. Bond, James Bond.

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Breakfast around the world 2005/11/21 20:58:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

Coffee. Green figs. Yogurt. Bond, James Bond.

Naw. I don't believe THAT, Bushie. Not for one minute. You been talkin' to Jethro B.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1