The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Breakfast at the Hominy Grill in Charleston, SC, take 2

Michael Stern

Breakfast at the Hominy Grill in Charleston, SC, take 2 Mon, 08/16/10 5:57 PM (permalink)
While in Charleston researching a story for Saveur magazine, we managed to catch a few breakfasts at the Hominy Grill. Of course we started with a big, beautiful biscuit:

And we had a classic bacon-and-egg breakfast, all arrayed around creamy, rich grits:

Huevos rancheros were a serious plateful:

Shrimp and okra beignets delivered crunch and flavor not to be believed:
]

On the side, we couldn't resist an order of crackers spread with goat cheese and hot pepper jelly.

At the end of the meal, Chef Robert Stehlig came out to say howdy. We are in the process of twisting his arm to get him to come to the New Orleans Roadfood Festival next March:

ChiTownDiner

Re:Breakfast at the Hominy Grill in Charleston, SC, take 2 Mon, 08/16/10 6:30 PM (permalink)
    I was so impressed with a shrimp and grits breakfast I had there last February, I bought a coffee cup to memorialize the occasion.  Magnificent...and i had my morning joe just today in my souvenir cup!

Great shots Michael!

Sundancer7

Re:Breakfast at the Hominy Grill in Charleston, SC, take 2 Mon, 08/16/10 6:39 PM (permalink)
      Leave it to Michael to come up with the good ones.  Great pics as usual.

Thanks Michael

Paul E. Smith
      Knoxville, TN

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
        Re:Breakfast at the Hominy Grill in Charleston, SC, take 2 Mon, 08/16/10 6:56 PM (permalink)
        Beautiful pictures Michael!  Keep twisting!

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7384
          • Roadfood Insider
          Re:Breakfast at the Hominy Grill in Charleston, SC, take 2 Mon, 08/16/10 7:02 PM (permalink)
          Outstanding!

Michael your photos really do render me speechless (and that's virtually impossible to do)

buffetbuster

Re:Breakfast at the Hominy Grill in Charleston, SC, take 2 Mon, 08/16/10 8:24 PM (permalink)
            Spectacular photos of beautiful food!  Those shrimp and okra beignets look unbelievable! 

I was ChiTownDiner's dining companion for that breakfast back in February and in four days of eating in the area, it was the meal of the trip for me.

Michael-Any chance you finished your breakfasts with dessert, like their amazing chocolate pudding?

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15060
              • Roadfood Insider
              Re:Breakfast at the Hominy Grill in Charleston, SC, take 2 Tue, 08/17/10 12:42 AM (permalink)
              Sheesch, Michael, Have you ever considered publishing your food write-ups? You seem to have a knack for great food descriptions !!!

Michael Stern

Re:Breakfast at the Hominy Grill in Charleston, SC, take 2 Tue, 08/17/10 5:28 AM (permalink)
                buffetbuster

Spectacular photos of beautiful food!  Those shrimp and okra beignets look unbelievable! 

I was ChiTownDiner's dining companion for that breakfast back in February and in four days of eating in the area, it was the meal of the trip for me.

Michael-Any chance you finished your breakfasts with dessert, like their amazing chocolate pudding?

Of course, I had to have some. It may be the best chocolate thing of any kind I ever ate. I also had a slice of banana black walnut cake with caramel icing. OMG!

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6079
                  Re:Breakfast at the Hominy Grill in Charleston, SC, take 2 Tue, 08/17/10 7:54 AM (permalink)
                  Michael,your pictures remind me again of why I love breakfast "on the road",,,,a great breakfast out just is something special.......that biscuit is a masterpiece...so tall!!!

ChiTownDiner

Re:Breakfast at the Hominy Grill in Charleston, SC, take 2 Tue, 08/17/10 10:33 AM (permalink)
                    Almost forgot...the farm made preserves served with breakfast...fantastic!  I bought two jars and enjoyed them at home for breakfast on English Muffins for the next several weeks!

Milt

• Total Posts: 354
                      Re:Breakfast at the Hominy Grill in Charleston, SC, take 2 Tue, 08/17/10 7:52 PM (permalink)
                      On our last Charleston trip, we only had one meal in Charleston - Hominy Grill.  For lunch, I had their shrimp and grits.  Fantastic is the only appropriate description.  It was the highlight of that trip.

JDAStonewall

• Total Posts: 52
                        Re:Breakfast at the Hominy Grill in Charleston, SC, take 2 Tue, 08/17/10 9:30 PM (permalink)
                        Wonderful pictures! A breakfast in Hominy Grill's courtyard is an experience that is hard to beat. No room for a Big Nasty?

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                          Re:Breakfast at the Hominy Grill in Charleston, SC, take 2 Sun, 08/22/10 8:26 AM (permalink)
                          And here I sit with some Greek yogurt and granola, heartbroken, with visions of sugarplums, err, grits, beignets and huevos rancheros dancing in my head.  Thanks Michael!  Seriously though, thank you for some utterly incredible pictures and descriptions of a place I hope to savor one day.  For now I'll have to console myself with a pastrami sandwich from Sarge's Deli tonight at dinner!  

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com