Breakfast drink... non-dairy?

Author
lonewolfette9847
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
2010/01/06 01:14:51 (permalink)

Breakfast drink... non-dairy?

Does anyone know of any breakfast drinks -- stuff like SlimFast & Carnation Instant Breakfast -- that do not include dairy?  I've seen a few soy varieties, but I'm leery of them.  I tried a soy chocolate drink & did not like it (thought it a horrible chocolate water).

I do not eat breakfast (I have a nervous stomach & have spent about the last 20 years not eating breakfast) & I'm desperately looking for something/anything I could drink as a substitute for breakfast.

Thanks!

20 Replies Related Threads

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3444
    Re:Breakfast drink... non-dairy? 2010/01/06 01:42:54 (permalink)
    I don't believe the powdered form of Carnation has dairy, so you could mix it with soy milk instead of cow's milk.   Also, depending on why you're non-dairy...Ensure, while containing milk protein concentrate, is lactose-free.
    post edited by felix4067 - 2010/01/06 01:50:36
    smokestack lightning
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 301
    Re:Breakfast drink... non-dairy? 2010/01/06 02:34:51 (permalink)
    Check out some of the protein drinks made by Odwalla.  I tend to make my own but theirs are good.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    Re:Breakfast drink... non-dairy? 2010/01/06 12:08:36 (permalink)
    A hefty shot of whiskey or brandy in your coffee is a good way to start the day.

Cheers, John 
    joclyn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 360
    Re:Breakfast drink... non-dairy? 2010/01/06 21:23:08 (permalink)
    i think the carnation powder stuff has powdered milk in it...not sure as i haven't had it for quite some time.  if it DOESN'T have any milk product in it, you could use it in almond milk or goats milk.  or even soy milk.

goats milk is easier on the stomach than cows milk...so, that might be a solution for ya.

the ensure stuff might also be an option.  not sure if it has milk product in it or not, though. 
    baileysoriginal
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 758
    Re:Breakfast drink... non-dairy? 2010/01/06 22:13:39 (permalink)
    A hefty shot of whiskey or brandy in your coffee is a good way to start the day. Cheers, John

An excellent alternative to the normal breakfast drinks -
    Cheers John!
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Breakfast drink... non-dairy? 2010/01/07 00:04:16 (permalink)
    joclyn

i think the carnation powder stuff has powdered milk in it...not sure as i haven't had it for quite some time.  if it DOESN'T have any milk product in it, you could use it in almond milk or goats milk.  or even soy milk.

goats milk is easier on the stomach than cows milk...so, that might be a solution for ya.

the ensure stuff might also be an option.  not sure if it has milk product in it or not, though. 

In the Carnation Instant Breakfast powder, nonfat dry milk is the first ingredient.

Ensure's ingredient list is:
    Water, sugar (sucrose), corn syrup, maltodextrin (corn), calcium caseinate, high-oleic safflower oil, canola oil, soy protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, corn oil, calcium phosphate tribasic, potassium citrate, magnesium phosphate dibasic, natural and artificial flavor, soy lecithin, sodium citrate, magnesium chloride, salt (sodium chloride), carrageenan, choline chloride, potassium chloride, ascorbic acid, ferrous sulfate, alpha-tocopheryl acetate, zinc sulfate, niacinamide, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, cupric sulfate, vitamin A palmitate, thiamine chloride hydrochloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid, chromium chloride, biotin, sodium molybdate, sodium selenate, potassium iodide, phylloquinone, vitamin D3 and cyanocobalamin.

The items in red above are derived from milk, but might or might not have an effect on your stomach.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3444
    Re:Breakfast drink... non-dairy? 2010/01/07 14:29:08 (permalink)
    And as I mentioned above, Ensure is lactose-free.
    allergiesandme
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Breakfast drink... non-dairy? 2010/04/05 16:19:01 (permalink)
    Just to add another: Vance's Foods has Dairy Free Chocolate and Plain in powder form. Also free of gluten, egg and soy.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15184
    Re:Breakfast drink... non-dairy? 2010/04/05 16:21:36 (permalink)
    For me a 64 oz OJ is a great day-starter !
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5546
    Re:Breakfast drink... non-dairy? 2010/04/05 16:29:37 (permalink)
    mayor al

Sixty-four ounces? to start the day? a half gallon?

you rock!

I love OJ in the morning too. But stick to a more modest 12-16oz.
    It sure is refreshing!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Breakfast drink... non-dairy? 2010/04/05 18:46:30 (permalink)
    Well, I keep the sipper cup full most of the A M . Think of the constant Coffee-Sipper, but with a healthier content !!!
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:Breakfast drink... non-dairy? 2010/04/05 20:16:54 (permalink)
    mayor al

Well, I keep the sipper cup full most of the A M . Think of the constant Coffee-Sipper, but with a healthier content !!!

Oh My! There is no doubting the Vitamin C is good, but you are taking in almost as much sugar as if you drank a 64 ounce bottle of coke, and also drinking 1000 calories every morning.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Breakfast drink... non-dairy? 2010/04/05 21:04:19 (permalink)
    Well to be honest...and that is criteria for being a REAL ROADFOODER, Isn't It ??? I do that OJ perhaps once or so a week and it takes from wake-up to lunch to enjoy it all.

I am not much of a breakfast person these days, but doing a "powdered yuck into drink" meal is something I avoid like I do the memories of my attempt at the Liquid Protein (Cambridge) diet some 30 years ago. I don't even care much for the drive-thru biscuit things that were my mainstay for many years.

Tony, It isn't necessary to use strong language with me..  "OH MY !" could be a bit intimidating coming from a Roadfood Administrator like you. 
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13476
    Re:Breakfast drink... non-dairy? 2010/04/05 21:24:02 (permalink)
    mayor al

I did that a few months ago but I added some zip to it.  I had to quit it though.

Now my zip is a mimosa in the evening.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:Breakfast drink... non-dairy? 2010/04/05 21:46:32 (permalink)
    mayor al

Tony, It isn't necessary to use strong language with me..  "OH MY !" could be a bit intimidating coming from a Roadfood Administrator like you. 

I think that was the auto-editing feature at work...I wrote something stronger than oh my! 
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Breakfast drink... non-dairy? 2010/04/05 22:01:11 (permalink)
    But seriously folks... I think I love the quality and quantity of OJ in the morning as I overcome the memory of my MOM stirring a teaspoonful of Brewers Yeast into my usual morning glass of OJ before leaving for school each morning. I would do everthing in my power to get that stuff to "settle" before carefully drinking all but the last half-inch in the bottom of the glass. Sheesch I hated that damn Yeast !  So now give me a bucket of Yeast-free O J and I am a happy camper.  (Mom was really into the wheat-germ pancakes and yeast in the juice, especially prune juice, thing for many years.)
    SeamusD
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 994
    Re:Breakfast drink... non-dairy? 2010/04/06 10:34:23 (permalink)
    If I don't have time for breakfast I usually grab a V-8 V-Fusion drink.
    mbrookes
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1354
    Re:Breakfast drink... non-dairy? 2010/04/06 13:01:05 (permalink)
    My breakfast stand-by is a banana smeared with chunky oeanut butter,  Fruit and protein.
    dexmat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    Re:Breakfast drink... non-dairy? 2010/04/07 02:15:54 (permalink)
    lonewolfette9847

Does anyone know of any breakfast drinks -- stuff like SlimFast & Carnation Instant Breakfast -- that do not include dairy?  I've seen a few soy varieties, but I'm leery of them.  I tried a soy chocolate drink & did not like it (thought it a horrible chocolate water).

I do not eat breakfast (I have a nervous stomach & have spent about the last 20 years not eating breakfast) & I'm desperately looking for something/anything I could drink as a substitute for breakfast.

Thanks!

You tried soy milk once and gave up?  Maybe you should try again.  Any new taste may take some getting used to.  Stick with the refrigerated stuff - much better than the shelf stable - and remember to shake it well or you'll get a very thin pour off the top and sludge in the bottom of the carton.  I've never tried the choc or strawberry but plain and vanilla are great.  I didn't like 'em at first but now do.

There are also other grain milks and nut milks.  Ever had horchata? 

As far as mixes, Celestial Seasonings makes a line of vegetarian/vegan drink mixes.  You won't find them in many grocery stores and I've never tried any but you might look into them.

I think the idea of fruit and nut smoothies sounds great.

Also try googling for vegan beverages and vegan breakfast beverages, both recipes and products.  Maybe something like 'vegan meal/breakfast replacement mixes???'  If they're vegan, they won't have dairy.  There's got to be stuff out there.
    jonjax71
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 438
    Re:Breakfast drink... non-dairy? 2010/04/07 19:56:26 (permalink)
    I make almond or oat milk shakes in the morning, I alternate between fresh strawberries and puffed wheat with banana shakes plus I throw in an oz of aloe vera concentrated juice, this after i drink my daily dose of Jamaican roots juice, a herbal product i continously make fresh, as one jug is pulled from several weeks in the earth, I prep another one and insert in the ground.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1