Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Breakfast for a crowd

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 58
ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
Breakfast for a crowd Wed, 08/13/08 7:59 AM (permalink)
Hi all.For the Harley 105th, Bob and I will be hosts to 8-10 people at our home.I am looking for something different to serve the crowd besides the usual scrambled eggs,etc.Anyone one have a good recipe to feed a crowd in the morning? Thanks!

wmceaton

• Total Posts: 313
    RE: Breakfast for a crowd Wed, 08/13/08 8:41 AM (permalink)
    I would get a smoked ham. The last one I ordered was from North Country Smokehouse in NH (www.ncsmokehouse.com).
    I usually go back & forth between N. Country & Harrington's out of Vermont, but I seem to like the smoke flavor from N. Country a little better.
    A ham, skillet potatoes, eggs, sausage & some bloody marys and I dont think you will have anyone who isnt pleased.

ann peeples

RE: Breakfast for a crowd Wed, 08/13/08 8:49 AM (permalink)
      Great idea!!!Thanks...

doug_ua

• Total Posts: 94
        RE: Breakfast for a crowd Wed, 08/13/08 9:56 AM (permalink)
        A french toast souffle is always nice. Actually, I can use a recipe for that as well, if anyone has a good one. It's quite easy and perfect for a crowd, if I recall!

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
          RE: Breakfast for a crowd Wed, 08/13/08 10:05 AM (permalink)
          Well I'm sure they are Harley riders?
          With that in mind I'd go with a breakfast pizza. Very easy to make up in advance and choice of toppings are endless.
          To keep it simple for you use tubes of cressent rolls for the dough.
          Fresh fruit Bowl useing a hollowed out watermellon for presentation.
          You can purchase large frozen bags of Doles mixed fresh fruit at costco.
          Cheap and easy lace it with some Grand Manaire for a twist.
          If you want to go a little upscale, eggs benidict. They can be prepared in advance, holindaise sauce can be done in advance also, serve them with a hash brown casserole. Chow Jim

susanll

• Total Posts: 1077
            RE: Breakfast for a crowd Wed, 08/13/08 10:05 AM (permalink)
            How about an egg casserole you can make the night before? Then just add some biscuits/muffins and juice.

Jimeats

RE: Breakfast for a crowd Wed, 08/13/08 10:10 AM (permalink)
              You may also want to take a look at the corned beef hash thread that is active here now. Sure to please any Harley rider. Chow Jim

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                RE: Breakfast for a crowd Wed, 08/13/08 10:10 AM (permalink)
                Along the lines of egg casserole sort of, how about of couple different types of quiche? Harley riders eat quiche!

juleebella

• Total Posts: 126
                  RE: Breakfast for a crowd Wed, 08/13/08 10:29 AM (permalink)
                  This is really good and will feed a lot of people:

BREAKFAST CASSEROLE

2 lb. bag hash browns, either shredded or southern style, thawed
                  ¼ c. butter or margarine, melted
                  1 lb. pork sausage
                  1 medium onion, chopped
                  3 c. shredded cheddar cheese or monterey jack cheese
                  12 eggs, beaten
                  2 c. milk
                  ½ tsp. salt
                  ½ tsp. dry mustard

In a greased 9x13 baking dish evenly spread the potatoes and drizzle with the melted butter. Brown the sausage with the onion and drain well. Spread evenly over the potatoes. Sprinkle with the shredded cheese. In a mixing bowl combine the eggs, milk, salt and dry mustard. Pour evenly over potato mixture. Refrigerate overnight or you may bake it immediately at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes. Cover with foil if browning too quickly. (Add about 10 minutes if refrigerated.

If the hash browns are pretty frosty, let them drain before putting them in the pan.

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
                    RE: Breakfast for a crowd Wed, 08/13/08 10:32 AM (permalink)
                    Look at the "Orange Yogurt" recipe by Ina Garten on the Food Network board. I've made it along with her "Homemade Granola" recipe, they are delicious... if your crowd likes yogurt and granola.

Ivyhouse

• Total Posts: 329
                      RE: Breakfast for a crowd Wed, 08/13/08 10:53 AM (permalink)
                      Breakfast casseroles are great. Also, breakfast quiche -- you can make 2 or 3 different types ahead of time, then reheat that morning. Use different cheeses (or no cheese), different meats and vegetables in each quiche for a variety. Add fruit salad, juices, coffee, maybe some sweet rolls.

kkrhmom

• Total Posts: 70
                        RE: Breakfast for a crowd Wed, 08/13/08 11:27 AM (permalink)
                        Every year I am asked to do a breakfast buffet for about 30-40 people. One of the the items that got rave reviews were biscuits and homemade sausage gravy. I had made all the gravy the night before and the morning of event I just put it in my crock pot to keep warm, adding a little milk if got too thick. I usually also have out some homemade muffins, fruit salad, croissants (pretty cheap from Sam's), along with the usual breakfast beverages. Whatever you make I wish you luck. I'm sure it will come out great!!! Have fun!!

ann peeples

RE: Breakfast for a crowd Wed, 08/13/08 3:10 PM (permalink)
                          All wonderful ideas and recipes! Yes, we are all Harley riders and will have big appetites(mostly men here, but a few women)Thanks all!!Keep em coming...

RibRater

• Total Posts: 1862
                            RE: Breakfast for a crowd Wed, 08/13/08 3:38 PM (permalink)

tmizerek

• Total Posts: 77
                              RE: Breakfast for a crowd Wed, 08/13/08 3:52 PM (permalink)
                              This is the best list of breakfast meals I've ever seen.
                              Recipes from bed and breakfasts around the country.

http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/ppf/class/Breakfast-Brunch/Recipes.aspx

ann peeples

RE: Breakfast for a crowd Wed, 08/13/08 3:56 PM (permalink)
                                Thanks Ribrater and tmizerek....kinda knew there would be a thread around-guess I didnt look long enough!

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                  RE: Breakfast for a crowd Thu, 08/14/08 5:19 PM (permalink)
                                  Impossible Egg Pie from Bisquick (recipe usually on box)

BACB (Big A$$ Country Breakfast):
                                  Biscuits & sausage gravy
                                  eggs
                                  grits
                                  pancakes
                                  ham
                                  bacon
                                  cornbeef hash
                                  fresh fruit
                                  oj milk coffee or hot tea

ann peeples

RE: Breakfast for a crowd Thu, 08/14/08 5:38 PM (permalink)
                                    Thank you my friend CK for piping in-I happen to make darn good sausage gravy, and have a bag of grits from N.C.Will utilize that...All responses have been wonderful!!!

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9575
                                      RE: Breakfast for a crowd Thu, 08/14/08 5:40 PM (permalink)
                                      It's Milwaukee fer gosh sakes! It's Brats Country! It's Cheese Head Country! Youze gotta have Grilled Brats and a Cheese & Egg Scramble, Biscuits & Old Milwaukee Beer! A Bikers Delight! (Yer Sausage/Gravy addon & Cheese Grits works OK too)
                                      REAL Bikers don't eat Quish and Fruit Compote with Mimosa's !!!

Here's an addon to the above if you don't want to do Brats:

Kluskii Hotdish
                                      Servings: 6
                                      1 package Kluski Noodles - cooked
                                      1 package saurkraut - drained
                                      1 large onion - chopped
                                      2 sticks margarine
                                      3 teaspoons Accent (msg)
                                      Add as much Polish Sausage as you prefer - cut up

Mix altogether and bake at 350 degrees for 1 and 1/2 hours.

Prep Time: 30 minutes
                                      Cook Time: 1 and 1/2 hours

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
                                        RE: Breakfast for a crowd Thu, 08/14/08 6:06 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by annpeeples

Thank you my friend CK for piping in-I happen to make darn good sausage gravy, and have a bag of grits from N.C.Will utilize that
                                        ...All responses have been wonderful!!!

Hi Ann, there you go.

Add to that biscuits in the oven, homefries and bacon, along with beverages and I'll guarantee no complaints. Unless you run out of food that is. Hey, these are Harley Riders

I've always had goodluck with these:

http://www.pillsbury.com/products/biscuits/frozen/Grands-Frozen-Biscuits.htm

kahl

• Total Posts: 5
                                          RE: Breakfast for a crowd Thu, 08/14/08 6:39 PM (permalink)
                                          There are several recipies for baked french toast. My friend makes it often and we love it. Here are lots of choices to look through.
                                          http://www.bbonline.com/recipe/frenchtoast.html

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                                            RE: Breakfast for a crowd Thu, 08/14/08 6:50 PM (permalink)
                                            Breakfast burritos always go over well, as do cheese grits and blueberry waffles.

Andrea

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
                                              RE: Breakfast for a crowd Fri, 08/15/08 12:01 AM (permalink)
                                              Are you still watching carbs, Ann? If not, I have a baked french toast recipe, as well as one for ham & cheese breakfast casserole. You let them sit overnight & then pop in the oven in the morning.

stricken_detective

RE: Breakfast for a crowd Fri, 08/15/08 2:19 AM (permalink)
                                                Hey, just found this recipe from an old work buddy:

Ziploc Omelet

This works great!!! Good for when all your family is together. The best part is no one has to wait for their special omelet and no frying!

Have guests write their name on a quart-sized Ziploc Freezer bag with permanent marker.

Crack 2 eggs (large or extra large) into the bag (not more than 2) shake to combine them.

Put out a variety of ingredients such as: cheeses, ham, onion, green pepper, mushroom, tomato, hash browns, salsa, etc

Each guest adds prepared ingredients of their choice to their bag & shake. Make sure to get the air out of the bag and zip it up.

Place the bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13 minutes. You can usually cook 6-8 omelets in a large pot. For more, make another pot of boiling water.

Open the bags and the omelet will roll out easily. Be prepared for everyone to be amazed.

Imagine having these ready the night before, and putting the bag in boiling water while you get ready. And in 13 minutes, you get a nice omelet for a quick breakfast!

Try this, it really works! Nice to serve with fresh fruit and coffee cake; everyone gets involved in the process and a great conversation piece.

ann peeples

• Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                  RE: Breakfast for a crowd Fri, 08/15/08 7:50 AM (permalink)
                                                  All wonderful ideas, my friends.Knew I could count on you!!Stricken-I am still watching carbs but would love that french toast recipe...and great idea about the omelet in the bag!
                                                  I have been checking out the sites all of you have sent, and am now more confused than ever-so many great ideas!!!

Jimeats

RE: Breakfast for a crowd Fri, 08/15/08 9:00 AM (permalink)
                                                    Whatever you decide make it as easy on yourself as you can.
                                                    Save time to visit with your guests. Chow Jim

ann peeples

• Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                      RE: Breakfast for a crowd Fri, 08/15/08 9:03 AM (permalink)
                                                      Good advice,Jimeats.I love to cook, but want to enjoy myself,as well.

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4467
                                                        • Location: Pittston, PA
                                                        RE: Breakfast for a crowd Fri, 08/15/08 11:59 AM (permalink)
                                                        Ann, I would prepare any of the egg recipes mentioned, then put it all on a loaf of Italian bread with hot peppers and cheese slices.

mbrookes

• Total Posts: 1350
                                                          • Location: Jackson, MS
                                                          RE: Breakfast for a crowd Fri, 08/15/08 1:51 PM (permalink)
                                                          Remember to have a couple of different choices. Just as you watch carbs, some have food allergies or other kinds of food problems. I personally can't eat gluten, so that eleminates anything with bread or flour.

If there is a variety (Egg dish, meat, fruit) there should be something for everybody.

stricken_detective

RE: Breakfast for a crowd Fri, 08/15/08 10:23 PM (permalink)
                                                            Ok Ann, these are awesome!!

Frenchish Toastish

* 12 slices of Wonder Bread or the squeezably soft equivalent. Sliced Italian or French bread is even better. Can be stale, but doesn't have to be.
                                                            * 12 eggs
                                                            * 2 tbsp. cream or half and half
                                                            * 1/2 tsp. salt
                                                            * 1 tsp. vanilla
                                                            * 1/2 tsp. nutmeg (or not)
                                                            * margarine (can be low-fat) or softened butter
                                                            * PAM or the equivalent cooking spray, (or however you like to grease pans, haha)

Grease a 9" x 13" Pyrex casserole. Preheat oven to 350F. Or, you can skip the preheating if you plan to let this sit in the fridge overnight.

* Beat eggs, cream, vanilla, nutmeg and salt together. Lightly spread each of the 12 slices of bread on both sides with margarine. Dip in the egg mixture to coat and kinda sorta sink in. Arrange in two lengthwise rows in pan, overlapping slices. Pour any remaining egg over all. If you are doing the overnight thing, stop here, cover with foil or plastic wrap and put in the fridge overnight (longer than overnight NOT recommended). Bake at 350F for 35 minutes if you do it right away or around 45 minutes if you had it in the fridge overnight. Serve with maple syrup, melted butter, whatever you like with french toast.

Now, here's the twin of this recipe -- it involves ham and cheese but is essentially the same:

Lazy Monte Cristos

* 24 slices of Wonder Bread or the squeezably soft equivalent. Sliced Italian or French bread is even better. Can be stale, but doesn't have to be.
                                                            * 12 eggs
                                                            * 2 tbsp. cream or half and half
                                                            * 1/2 tsp. salt
                                                            * 12 slices ham or turkey, or a lump of shaved ham or turkey for each sandwich, or 26 slices of cooked bacon, vegetarian or real-thing
                                                            * 12 slices of American cheese, Swiss cheese, Provolone, or whatever cheese you like
                                                            * Fines herbes (optional -- a few of you will know what I mean; for those of you who don't, go with dried parsley, or whatever you like.)
                                                            * margarine (can be low-fat) or softened butter
                                                            * PAM or the equivalent cooking spray, (or however you like to grease pans, haha)

Grease a 9" x 13" Pyrex casserole. Preheat oven to 350F. Or, you can skip the preheating if you plan to let this sit in the fridge overnight. Beat eggs, cream, and salt together. Lightly spread one side of each of the 24 slices of bread with margarine. Slap meat and cheese between 2 slices for each sandwich, unbuttered sides facing in. Arrange sandwiches in two lengthwise rows in pan, overlapping slices. Pour egg mixture over all. (Do this slowly, because with the margarine on the bread, the egg won't sink in right away, and it WILL go oozing merrily onto your clean countertop)

If you are doing the overnight thing, stop here, cover with foil or plastic wrap and put in the fridge overnight (longer than overnight NOT recommended). Sprinkle with fines herbes, parsley or whatever. Bake at 350F for 35 minutes if you do it right away or around 45 minutes if you had it in the fridge overnight. This is actually good with a side of maple syrup, also goes well with a simple green salad and/or fresh fruit salad.

^^Also optional to spread ranch dressing on the sides of the bread that don't have margarine. Mmmm.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 58

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com