Breakfast off the Beaten Path

Author
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 755
2003/06/23 13:51:38 (permalink)

Breakfast off the Beaten Path

I was sick of driving to Cracker Barrell and going to the trough at ihop...

We found a great breakfast place south of Charlottesville on Route 15 in Dillwyn. All you can eat for 6.95.

Small towns rule!

19 Replies Related Threads

marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Breakfast off the Beaten Path 2004/03/19 20:24:22 (permalink)
    Thanks for the suggestion -- we are hoping to be in that area this weekend.
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: Breakfast off the Beaten Path 2004/04/28 12:31:17 (permalink)
    I had breakfast at "Karen's Diner" this morning on West Broad Street in Richmond. This place is not far off of the through-the-city section of I-95, and just down the street from another good local eatery that's been mentioned here previously, "McLean's Restaurant." Karen's is in a former Toddle House (long, long gone) location that's been added onto and re-done probably several times over its busy lifetime.
    WHAT A GREAT PLACE! I mean, we're talking your total southern breakfast here. They've got it all. I had my eggs scrambled, and they were cooked to order with the right amount of white showing in the yellow and done just right for my liking, soft but not runny at all. Along with that came two nice mild sausage links (with just a slight honey maple flavor in the background), hash browns, and a grilled, buttered biscuit. Service was perfect. Here's a link that shows a picture of the place. I can't wait to try lunch there sometime.
    http://www.fieldensva.com/karensdiner.html

Frank
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7759
    RE: Breakfast off the Beaten Path 2004/04/28 13:01:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fcbaldwin

I had breakfast at "Karen's Diner" this morning on West Broad Street in Richmond. This place is not far off of the through-the-city section of I-95, and just down the street from another good local eatery that's been mentioned here previously, "McLean's Restaurant." Karen's is in a former Toddle House (long, long gone) location that's been added onto and re-done probably several times over its busy lifetime.
    WHAT A GREAT PLACE! I mean, we're talking your total southern breakfast here. They've got it all. I had my eggs scrambled, and they were cooked to order with the right amount of white showing in the yellow and done just right for my liking, soft but not runny at all. Along with that came two nice mild sausage links (with just a slight honey maple flavor in the background), hash browns, and a grilled, buttered biscuit. Service was perfect. Here's a link that shows a picture of the place. I can't wait to try lunch there sometime.
    http://www.fieldensva.com/karensdiner.html

Frank

Looks good. I've driven past it before on the way to McLean's. I must try this place the next time I'm in/through Richmond.
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Breakfast off the Beaten Path 2004/04/28 13:30:13 (permalink)
    Hey WJ,
    I'd be delighted to meet you there for breakfast or lunch if you're so inclined (I work in downtown Richmond). Just let me know when you're in this neck of the woods.

Frank
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6758
    RE: Breakfast off the Beaten Path 2004/04/28 13:44:31 (permalink)
    No Spam and eggs, spam spam spam spam and bacon and eggs?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7759
    RE: Breakfast off the Beaten Path 2004/04/28 14:15:33 (permalink)
    quote:

Hey WJ,
    I'd be delighted to meet you there for breakfast or lunch if you're so inclined (I work in downtown Richmond). Just let me know when you're in this neck of the woods.

Frank

Certainly Frank,

I don't know if I'll be back in Richmond in the near future since all my vacation time is already booked up for the rest of the year, however I will certainly extend the same invitation to you if you're ever in Rhode Island.
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Breakfast off the Beaten Path 2004/04/28 14:30:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

Hey WJ,

Frank

Certainly Frank,

I don't know if I'll be back in Richmond in the near future since all my vacation time is already booked up for the rest of the year, however I will certainly extend the same invitation to you if you're ever in Rhode Island.

Thank you for the invitation. I will not hesitate!
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Breakfast off the Beaten Path 2004/05/10 10:26:41 (permalink)
    We had breakfast at a place between Charlotte and Belmont, NC Saturday morning. It is not far from the Charlotte Airport. It is an old place that has been there for years called the Copal Grill. I had country ham, grits, soft scrambled eggs and toast. They also brought out a bowl of red eye gravy for the grits. Everything was served in generous portions. This is really good breakfast food. They also serve lunch and supper and portions are generous at those times also.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Breakfast off the Beaten Path 2004/05/10 11:24:15 (permalink)
    Just back from my birthday breakfast at JM's Reszteraunt in Eufaaula Ok---Pork chops --2 nice ones-crispy hasj browns eggs over easy--cooked perfectly i might add--OJ,biscuits and country gravy and coffee!! MMMMMMGood!!!its a twelve mile ride to get there from here but i love the place! if you folks are ever in the are and ready for breakfast---let me know and we'll join you!--and the drive along the lake is great!
    SteveB9
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Breakfast off the Beaten Path 2004/05/10 15:38:03 (permalink)
    Can't be a Southern breakfast (heck, can't be any kind of a gooood breakfast) without grits! Hashbrowns are ok for other meals, but gotta have grits for breakfast. Even better than hashbrowns (for other than breakfast)is Rosti. This is the Swiss version of hashbrowns, and if you can still find a restaurant in Switzerland that has them instead of "rosti croquettes", which is a fancy name for tater tots, you gotta try them.
    juliev
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 147
    RE: Breakfast off the Beaten Path 2004/12/28 06:26:57 (permalink)
    I agree, small towns rule!
    In the small of Greenhurst, NY, The Chatterbox is always packed, and they never give your coffee cup a chance to go empty.
    carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Breakfast off the Beaten Path 2004/12/28 08:47:55 (permalink)
    A great little hole-in-the-wall in Hamilton OH is called Brewer's. I think it's open all day but I only went there for breakfast. The waitress never wrote down an order, just remembered it. Excellent down home breakfast food and coffee.
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Breakfast off the Beaten Path 2005/01/04 23:06:24 (permalink)
    There is a Cracker Barrel near the Fogelsville junction of I-78 and Route 100 in Eastern PA. About 2 miles off the same interstate exit is locally owned Chris's Family Restaurant (really a diner but the whole family works there), with wonderful creamed chipped beef, home fries, good omelets, including a spinach and feta one and perfectly cooked french toast at about 1/2 - 2/3 the price of C.B. I drive past both of them on my way to work and am always happy to see Chris's with the fuller parking lot.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Breakfast off the Beaten Path 2005/01/05 08:59:28 (permalink)
    I found a great place in the tiny town of Edom, TX (west of Tyler) last October. Place is called The Shed, and it was awesome. Rustic, yet clean and neat as a pin. Real home cooking.

They don't have a menu; they just write what's available that day on a chalkboard (no prices are posted, either). I got one of their breakfasts which included two perfectly cooked eggs, a big thick slab of ham, two biscuits, gravy (tasted homemade), and all the coffee I could drink.

I went to the counter to pay, and she said, "That'll be $4.02".!!! I about fell over.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Breakfast off the Beaten Path 2005/01/05 10:18:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

I found a great place in the tiny town of Edom, TX (west of Tyler) last October. Place is called The Shed, and it was awesome. Rustic, yet clean and neat as a pin. Real home cooking.

They don't have a menu; they just write what's available that day on a chalkboard (no prices are posted, either). I got one of their breakfasts which included two perfectly cooked eggs, a big thick slab of ham, two biscuits, gravy (tasted homemade), and all the coffee I could drink.

I went to the counter to pay, and she said, "That'll be $4.02". !!! I about fell over.

That is an "unreal" price.....would love to go there. Our nearest Roadfood place for breakfast is The Forest Diner on Rt 40, way west of Baltimore. The food can be excellent at times, except for their homefries which always smell like wet wood. But for the breakfast you described, it would cost over twice as much.
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Breakfast off the Beaten Path 2005/01/05 10:51:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

I went to the counter to pay, and she said, "That'll be $4.02". !!! I about fell over.

Sheesh! That would be worth the cost in gas from Dallas to go there for breakfast. Good find!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Breakfast off the Beaten Path 2005/01/05 12:12:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Maynerd

Sheesh! That would be worth the cost in gas from Dallas to go there for breakfast. Good find!

That'd be a nice little daytrip, Maynerd. You'll pass right through Canton, so maybe you should go when they are having their monthly flea market.
    aleswench
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 686
    RE: Breakfast off the Beaten Path 2005/01/05 13:35:32 (permalink)
    If you're in North Jersey, in our neck of the woods, there is a very small "hole in the wall" called Sheppard's Place on Berkshire Valley Road in Jefferson. They make a french toast dish that I've never seen anywhere else before: deep fried french toast layered with a cream cheese and freshly pureed strawberry filling. It's excellent. So much so that I can't even tell you how anything else is because that's all I ever order! But Bob is always happy with his eggs and corned beef hash.
    zataar
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: Breakfast off the Beaten Path 2005/01/06 16:02:11 (permalink)
    There is a breakfast / lunch only place in KC called the Woodswether Cafe. To get there, you need to drive under the Broadway Bridge, also known as the Broadway Extension and 69 Highway. You drive about 1/4 of a mile and there it is, right down the road from the dry ice factory. They are open 5:30 - 1:30 Mon thru Fri, 6 - 1 on Saturdays. They are known as the home of frisbee pancakes, due to the size. If the food there isn't entirely homemade I'd be very surprised. What ever it is they're doing, it's right on the mark. The have a killer 3 layer banana cake at lunch.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1