Breakfast sausage

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Breakfast sausage 2003/12/26 09:52:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

I am a little emabarrassed to say why I tried it, but I have become a regular Purnell's man (aside from venison and pork sausage I have made every winter). I bought the first package because I thought the ad on the Grand Ol Opry was so corny it couldn't be a fake. I love that Purnell guy. You know for sure two things when you get through watching the ad
1) He has been around a hog or two in his day
2) He is not scared of a big plate of grits,eggs, and sausage

You're right on target about the Purnell fella. I've talked with this Purnell a few times at grocer's conventions. He's a hoot at those functions, wearing his promotion persona the whole time. He sounds a little like a rural Kentucky preacher testifying before the unwashed.
olphart
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 289
RE: Breakfast sausage 2003/12/30 16:49:42 (permalink)
About a month ago Kroger had their brand pork sausage on sale for $1/lb. I bought 6 packages on a chance, and it turned out to be a winner! Kroger sausage is as good or better than Jimmy Dean which is my normal favorite.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13495
RE: Breakfast sausage 2003/12/30 17:01:44 (permalink)
I have been doing the Atkins thing for about four months and sausage has become a favorite of mine. Since I cannot do any type of bread, I do sausage patties thick and use a lettuce wrap with mustard or other condiments.

Makes a great lunch, breakfast or dinner for the Sundancer.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
ToddH
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
RE: Breakfast sausage 2004/01/20 12:48:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

Jimmy Dean, particularly sage (the grey package). Patties only.

Although a good link is the pork and apricot sausage at Sarabeth's in NYC: they come finished with a dollop of a warmed apricot jam on them as well as the dried apricot in the sausage.

I'll second that motion about the Jimmy Dean Sage. I love extra sage in sausage. I also tried the Jimmy Dean Maple flavored sausage. It goes well with pancakes, but is a bit too sweet for eating daily.
I grew up in Seymour,TN and we used Wampler's and Swaggerty's as I recall from my childhood. We did use Jimmy Dean cause Mom loved the hot sausage, but it always cost so much more than the others. I'm sure many people around here also used Lay's sausage or Selecto's(if they had a sausage brand).
I know my mom used Lay's or Elm Hill bacon.

A Few suggestions for biscuit recipes and ease in preparing biscuits.

Here is a recipe for Basic Buttermilk Biscuits from the Martha White Southern Selections Cookbook (1985?)

2 Cups Unbleached Sifted AP Flour or Self Rising( I prefer Unbleached, makes nicer biscuits)Add 1 TBS baking powder and 3/4 tsp of salt.
1/4 cup lard
1 scant cup(thats not quite a full cup) of buttermilk.
Oven Temp 450
Cook 10-12 mins

The secret I've found, so far, to making biscuits, quickly, is
1.) put your doughboard over your kitchen sink,which is filled with hot water. This helps immensely when you want to clean everything up immediately afterwards(but don't scrape excess flour into the sink,it will stop up your drain)
2. Sift your flour into your measuring cup on a sheet of waxed paper. Then excess can be set aside for coating hands. I roll out and cut my biscuits also on the paper.

3. Use pastry blender for cutting fat into flour.

4. I use kitchen parchement for lining baking sheets, no stick.

5. The trickiest thing I've found is how to get them to the right thickness. 1/4 inch rolled out is perfect for a thin sausage biscuit(ie. Rudy's Farm storebought) and about a 1/2 inch gives you a thicker more McDonalds/Hardee's type biscuit.

I think most folks just hate the mess flour makes. Get rid of the flour bag, use a restaurant style(22qt)flour container. Then you don't have to wash the sifter.
hatteras04
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1091
RE: Breakfast sausage 2004/01/20 13:05:04 (permalink)
I like both links and patties but my favorite lately has been Bob Evans patties made with the maple flavored sausage. I was a little hesitant to try it with eggs but I'll have to say I really liked it. Of course, I like to put eggs on pancakes and pour syrup over the whole thing too so I'm not sure why I thought I wouldn't like it.
10X10
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 87
RE: Breakfast sausage 2004/01/20 14:05:29 (permalink)
All the b-fast items served at Loveless's just outside of Nashville is to die for. But their sausage patties send me to heaven, crisp on the outside, moist inside and just the right amount of seasonings.

If you are ever in the area stop in for great biscuits, country ham and fried chicken(served anytime, even for b-fast).
hatteras04
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1091
RE: Breakfast sausage 2004/01/20 15:29:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

Do you get the eggs with the eggs and pancakes fried? Doesn't the yolk make the pancakes taste, well, wierd?

It is kind of well, weird. But sometimes weird is good. I had never seen this way of eating eggs and pancakes until I visited a friend of mine in West Virginia. It seemed to be common practice in this diner where we ate breakfast and I figured when in Rome (or Pennsboro)..what the heck. And I really liked it. I don't have it this way every time but every once in a while it's a nice change. Oh and definitely over easy for the eggs. The more yolk the better.
10X10
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 87
RE: Breakfast sausage 2004/01/20 15:48:51 (permalink)
It is so good, No matter when you go they put a big plate of bisquits served with locally made jam and apple butter. A real treasure that is true Roadfood material. A small reataurant in the parking lot of a Roadside motel circa early 1900's.
If you are ever in the area you have to give it a try
quote:

fried chicken? for breakfast? really?

Now that's cool.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2880
RE: Breakfast sausage 2004/01/20 21:38:14 (permalink)
Breakfast at Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles! Doesn't get much better!
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Breakfast sausage 2004/01/20 21:46:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ToddH

quote:

I grew up in Seymour,TN and we used Wampler's and Swaggerty's as I recall from my childhood.

Todd,
When I lived in Nashville, one independent supermarket near my house sold a "super-sage" sausage that plumb looked spoiled (it was THAT green!). I've tried to remember the maker's name (it was a small, local concern somewhere in Central Tennessee, but I remember it bore a U. S.inspection). You've made me wonder if it might not have been Wampler's. Aren't they over by Gallatin someplace?
That was the best breakfast sausage I ever put into my mouth until I found Hollifield's Mo-Peppa at Bell's Supermarket here in Athens (Georgia, not Tennessee!).
Sizzlingly, Ort. Carlton in 30601-Land.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Breakfast sausage 2004/01/20 21:50:26 (permalink)
quote:

fried chicken? for breakfast? really?

Now that's cool.

Clothier,
Absolutely! Positively!! It's even on the breakfast buffet at Plantation Buffet on M. L. K. Blvd. here in Athens, and you can have it for breakfast at The Gateway Cafe, even though it's not listed on the menu board on the wall.
Not Pullet Your Leg, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia, Which Is 39 Miles Down U. S. 129 From Gainesville, The Broiler Capital Of The World.
misterzerox
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Breakfast sausage 2004/02/11 22:12:16 (permalink)
I prefer links over patties, but I've been pretty disappointed with the choice of links retailing in the Chicago area. Sam's Club had Klement's maple sausage for sale which had nice flavor but was full of disgusting chunky cartilaginous bits...so bad I may just toss it and say goodbye to the money. My favorite are the Oscar Mayer links that they have in the restaurants but you can't get them in the stores-they don't carry them in this area anymore (yes, I called Kraft)They have a nice texture, no chunky bits, always the same, unless they get overcooked, then they are a little nasty. On someone's recommendation on this site, I tried Purnell's Old folks...very good. Also bought Farmland and something called Jameson's Brand...the fattiest sausage I've ever had but tasty!
My inlaws are going to Atlanta-any good local sausage there? I figure they can throw it in a cooler and drag it up to Chicago!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1