Breitbach's in Balltown to Reopen (Again)

Author
bcoffeyia
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2009/07/29 09:41:37 (permalink)

Breitbach's in Balltown to Reopen (Again)

Good news!  Breitbach's in Balltown, Iowa, winner of a James Beard "classic" award, will reopen on Saturday, August 1.  This will be their second reopening after two devastating fires in a couple years.  They are a credit to the American spirit that cannot be defeated!  Much of the work and materials was again donated by community members and loyal friends across the United States.  It's in the most beautiful part of Iowa as well. 

3 Replies Related Threads

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10496
    Re:Breitbach's in Balltown to Reopen (Again) 2009/07/29 09:43:03 (permalink)
    That is good news and this is a place I have always wanted to visit.  Let's hope they have much better luck this time.  Thanks for the update!
    Bob Zauzmer
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Breitbach's in Balltown to Reopen (Again) 2011/08/23 00:17:18 (permalink)
    My family had a wonderful evening at Breitbach's this weekend.  Sometimes a phenomenal dining experience is more than the sum of its parts; this was one such experience.  The food itself was terrific -- the very affordable ($12.95) buffet included outstanding broasted chicken (with ham or roast beef as alternatives), with a host of excellent prepared salads and side dishes (stuffing, mashed potatoes, etc.). The strawberry shortcake for dessert was also delicious.  (There is also an a la carte menu of all the Midwestern staples.)

What made the evening so memorable was also the reception we received from Mike Breitbach, the fifth-generation owner, and his dedicated staff. The story they have to tell is an incredible and inspiring tale of heartbreak and hope -- how the 150-year-old restaurant burned down on Christmas Eve 2007, was rebuilt with the help of scores of volunteers, burned again just four months after reopening in 2008, and then was rebuilt again. It is a wonderful story of a dedicated family and a loyal community, who want nothing more than to have a great family restaurant in their lovely small town in northeastern Iowa, about 15 miles northwest of Dubuque.  I have been a dedicated Roadfood-er for over 25 years, and have rarely enjoyed a great meal with such inspiration on the side.  Anyone within 100 miles of this remarkable restaurant should head straight here for great food and hospitality.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    Re:Breitbach's in Balltown to Reopen (Again) 2011/08/23 07:46:37 (permalink)
    Bob Zauzmer

My family had a wonderful evening at Breitbach's this weekend.  Sometimes a phenomenal dining experience is more than the sum of its parts; this was one such experience.  The food itself was terrific -- the very affordable ($12.95) buffet included outstanding broasted chicken (with ham or roast beef as alternatives), with a host of excellent prepared salads and side dishes (stuffing, mashed potatoes, etc.). The strawberry shortcake for dessert was also delicious.  (There is also an a la carte menu of all the Midwestern staples.)

What made the evening so memorable was also the reception we received from Mike Breitbach, the fifth-generation owner, and his dedicated staff. The story they have to tell is an incredible and inspiring tale of heartbreak and hope -- how the 150-year-old restaurant burned down on Christmas Eve 2007, was rebuilt with the help of scores of volunteers, burned again just four months after reopening in 2008, and then was rebuilt again. It is a wonderful story of a dedicated family and a loyal community, who want nothing more than to have a great family restaurant in their lovely small town in northeastern Iowa, about 15 miles northwest of Dubuque.  I have been a dedicated Roadfood-er for over 25 years, and have rarely enjoyed a great meal with such inspiration on the side.  Anyone within 100 miles of this remarkable restaurant should head straight here for great food and hospitality.

Bob

I couldn't agree more.
    I was there back in june, my trip report included photos of Breitbach's as well http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=657799&mpage=2 
    and so far is one of my favorite roadfood restaurants I visited in 2011

I know the diners, drive ins and dives and man vs food (a show which I truly despise btw) mentality has set in over the last decade or so, but Breitbach' and places like it will always be what Roadfood is really and truly  all about in my book.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1