Brennivin - Black Death

Author
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 832
2008/11/27 00:51:28 (permalink)

Brennivin - Black Death

We went over to do an early Thanksgiving dinner tonight and my friend Eric gave me a bottle of Brennivin that was brought back by a co-worker who was in Iceland on buisness.

He warned me about how bad it smelled and tasted. I had to admit I was concerned as I had seen this on Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre Food show once.

I opened the bottle and commented on how it smelled like rye bread.... I was right as they use caraway seeds to help flavor it. It is actually made in a way that makes you think of REAL vodka. So I took a sip... I liked it. He said the bottles yours. Keep it in the freezer. It is 75 proof... works for me.

The taste really reminded me of vodka with an unusual aftertaste. It WILL clean your sinuses out though.

Any one else tried the "Black Death"?

Dennis in Cary

10 Replies Related Threads

boyardee65
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1460
    RE: Brennivin - Black Death 2008/11/27 02:42:18 (permalink)
    Never heard of it but I have seen the Thirsty Traveler do a story on absinthe that had caraway seed in it,among other things like cardamom, cinnamon, and other aromatic spices. I have had absinthe only once in Germany a long time ago and it mostly tasted like licorice.

David O.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18489
    RE: Brennivin - Black Death 2008/11/27 12:18:55 (permalink)
    I've had Brennivin. I liked it a lot. It's very much like aquavit, and you drink it in a similar manner -- a shot from an icy bottle that's been kept in the freezer, followed by a chaser of good beer. With aquavit I always preferred real Tuborg, not the stuff they sell now in the U.S. with the Tuborg name.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Brennivin - Black Death 2008/11/27 13:22:29 (permalink)
    Brennvin (various spellings) is Swedish for Brandy. It literally means "burnt wine". In Sweden it is considered to be the drink of choice of the folks on skid row (or whatever that's called in Sweden) and is generally frowned upon by the middle class. It is, from my brief experience, not a great drink - being unpalatable without added flavors. Rumor has it that most of the stuff is produced by illegal distillers.

Akavit, on the other hand, is a wonderful thing to imbibe It comes in endless flavors, depending on the distiller, there may be dozens of herbs, spices, and botancals included in the flavoring. As michael Hoffman has said, it is best kept in the freezer and is best chased by a quality Scandanavian beer. I'm lucky in that my old college roommate spends his Summers in Sweden and usually brings me a bottle of Akavit when he returns home. We once had lunch with him on an island in the Baltic sea (Ooland??) where each course of a multi-course lunch was accompanied by a different Akavit - wonderful!!

Cheers, John
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    RE: Brennivin - Black Death 2008/11/28 19:11:35 (permalink)
    This bottle actually carried the name Brennivin on it and not a secondary name. It was not the worst alcohol I have ever consummed in my life by far. That is reserved for some Ouzo a friend brought back from a tour of duty in the army back in the late 80's. That was the nastiest crap I ever tasted in my life.

Dennis in Cary
    sam y.
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Brennivin - Black Death 2009/08/14 13:30:53 (permalink)
    Tried Brennivin when I was in Iceland in the mid-'90s, and loved it. The genuine, legal, Icelandic brew, in the dead-black bottle. Brought a bottle or two home to the States.

Alas, so far as I know, Brennivin isn't available in the U.S. (no doubt due to nonexistent demand). Now I live in Canada, where you can actually find quite a few things unavailable in the States (authentic haggis, for instance!), but there's no Brennivin here, either.

Anyone heading for Iceland, please grab a couple of bottles for me at the duty-free shop!
    JDY
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Brennivin - Black Death 2012/04/20 20:05:30 (permalink)
    I realize this is an old post. BUT, I was clearing out my "liquor cabinet" and found a bottle of Brennivin, unopened, and very "plain" looking. I have NO idea where I came by it. I have traveled overseas ( never to Iceland)but dont recall bringing it back. I dont drink Schnapps, so if anyone is interested in acquiring it, let me know and we can work something out. 
    asuato
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Brennivin - Black Death 2012/04/23 03:50:32 (permalink)
    JDY

I realize this is an old post. BUT, I was clearing out my "liquor cabinet" and found a bottle of Brennivin, unopened, and very "plain" looking. I have NO idea where I came by it. I have traveled overseas ( never to Iceland)but dont recall bringing it back. I dont drink Schnapps, so if anyone is interested in acquiring it, let me know and we can work something out. 

Ive been trying to find some to buy forever!!  Nordic store is rediculous the prices they have for that stuff. Id be interested if you want to part with it.
    fishtaco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 802
    RE: Brennivin - Black Death 2012/04/23 14:14:53 (permalink)
    Wasn't that the vodka Slash once did an ad for?
    SeamusD
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1019
    RE: Brennivin - Black Death 2012/04/24 11:12:10 (permalink)
    fishtaco

I think that was Black Death Vodka (made with beets), a brand name. I believe "Black Death" is a nickname given to Brennevin because of the label.
    fishtaco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 802
    RE: Brennivin - Black Death 2012/04/24 13:37:23 (permalink)
    SeamusD

fishtaco

I think that was Black Death Vodka (made with beets), a brand name. I believe "Black Death" is a nickname given to Brennevin because of the label.

Aww, now I see. Tks Seamus.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1