Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Tony27
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2004/06/21 14:24:02 (permalink)

Breyers Ice Cream

Hi All..

I am trying to find out how to make Breyers ice cream. If on there comericals it only has cream, milk, salt, and some other stuff then anyone can make it.

I hate paying $6.00 for a half gallon when i can spend less to make as much as i want..

I just want the very basic receipe. Anyone have any idea what it is where i can find it??

Thanks!
Tony

34 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15286
    RE: Breyers Ice Cream 2004/06/21 16:26:21 (permalink)
    Tony,
    Breyers has been on sale in this area (Louisville) at various Markets for 2 for $6.00. There is no secret recipe...just find a good home-freezer recipe and use it. Breyer's isn't all that special these days.
    CheeseWit
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: Breyers Ice Cream 2004/06/21 16:30:29 (permalink)
    Tony, I second what Al wrote. Breyers has been on sale a few times in the Philly area at each supermarket chain at 2 for $6. You can make great homemade ice cream that will rival anyone's. Just go get a good ice cream maker. There is a thread topic here about ice cream makers. Just do a search.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Breyers Ice Cream 2004/06/21 17:02:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Tony,
    Breyers has been on sale in this area (Louisville) at various Markets for 2 for $6.00. There is no secret recipe...just find a good home-freezer recipe and use it. Breyer's isn't all that special these days.

The Breyer's Ice Cream that we have been getting in this area has not really been very good..........it does not taste as creamy as it use to and seems to be too airy. We decided that we are no longer going to buy it.
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Breyers Ice Cream 2004/06/21 17:32:10 (permalink)
    The incorporation of air into ice cream is what the trade refers to as overrun. Some like that style of ice cream. You can eat a huge bowl and not feel too full, but you're burping up air that you paid to ship to you while keeping it all frozen.

Most home ice cream freezers tend to produce a denser product that's more like Haagen-Dasz. I suspect you will find the cost of the ingredients, let alone the cost of a freezer, to be a great deal more than $6 you're paying now to make a half-gallon of ice cream.

If you're still determined, I will tell you about my Krups freezer. It uses a cylinder that you freeze for 24 hours instead of ice and salt, like the hand-cranked Donvier, but has an electric motor to turn the dasher. It introduces a minor amount of overrun, as compared to the Donvier, but I frankly like the improvement in texture that the overrun gives the Krups product.

It's like mayonnaise--homemade costs more, but sometimes it's worth it. Here's one that IS worth it!

Homemade Blackberry Ice Cream

Pick a mess of blackberries. Immediately upon arriving home, rinse the berries, put them in a container for the fridge, then sugar liberally. The sugar prevents the berries from molding and starts breaking them down so you can sieve the berries the next day. NO seeds in the ice cream, please! I'm only one of many who can't eat those seeds. Okay, didja get a cup of sweetened juice after sieving? Add it to 1 cup of whole milk and 1 pint of sweetened whipping cream. The brand I see here in CA is called "Bavarian," and it's a wee bit pricey, but it makes the best ice cream. It has the bit of vanilla you need. Stir, add a good pinch of your best salt, stir again and taste. It should be quite sweet. Remember your taste buds won't register flavor as readily when you eat a frozen product. Stir once more, cover and refrigerate for several hours, then place in your freezer and operate it per the manufacturer's instructions. This recipe makes one quart--or a wee bit more in the Krups.
    Jennie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 389
    RE: Breyers Ice Cream 2004/06/21 18:38:23 (permalink)
    Ooooh, sounds nice, Michael. My parents had an ice cream maker when I was a kid. I remember my parents making ice cream a total of once. Strawberry, as I recall. But being the 1970s, it was hand-crank, and a lot of work. A few years ago, we bought my parents a brand new electric ice cream maker, but I think it's remained as unused as the 1970s version. For some, it's one of those appliances like bread machines and fruit dehydrators that sound like a good idea, but simply aren't much used. They take up too much space on your counter for something you don't use much, so where does it go? Out of sight. And out of mind.

When I was a kid, I remember an actual Bryers ice cream shop in Columbia, Maryland. It was a newfangled planned community, with all sorts of lovely social experiments, most of which weren't successful. This one was a shopping center which included both goods shops and service shops, with a courtyard and water fountain. The hope was that it would become the community hangout/gathering place. However, there was a different type of newfangled idea which was launched at the same time. The Mall. And that became the community hangout for young people. Particularly after they opened a food court area. I do remember, though, that we often stopped for an ice cream cone when we went to the conjoined beauty parlor/barbershop for haircuts. And often got to play on the fountains while Mom shopped at the cheese shop. Ahh, the memories.

Breyers mint-chocolate chip (the white kind) is still my favorite.
    Rustywolf
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 176
    RE: Breyers Ice Cream 2004/07/01 13:17:44 (permalink)
    Why in Heaven's name doesn't Breyer make pistachio ice cream? Also, butter almond is my favorite, but it's impossible to find here in Michigan. - Rusty
    evilpez
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Breyers Ice Cream 2004/07/01 14:56:17 (permalink)

I too pine for a decent Pistachio ice-cream. Living in Nova Scotia - it's pretty much extinct. The last time I found any was while waiting for my flight to depart in the Dominican Republic.

It was from a Baskin-Robbins no less. I ate two cups worth.

If anyone is from Maine and knows of a decent Pistachio brand ice-cream from either a scoop-hut or grocery freezer - let me know - because that's the only excuse I need to make a road trip!

mtbuckingham
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 65
    RE: Breyers Ice Cream 2004/07/01 15:04:44 (permalink)
    Jennie-
    I grew up in Columbia. Which Village Center was the Breyers store in? (many have a courtyard and water fountain of some sort).
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Breyers Ice Cream 2004/07/01 15:22:26 (permalink)
    You guys just gave me a great idea on what to get my husband for our anniversary! An ice cream maker. I gave him one on an anniversary past and I loaned it to my supervisor for a family occasion. It was left on the tail gate of a truck to never be seen again. Our favorites to make were was peach and strawberry. My friend received an ice cream maker as a wedding gift and graciously gave it to me as we were missing ours. This was a "gourmet" ice cream maker. You used regular table salt and ice cubes from your freezer! I thanked her and gave it back. What's the opinion of Blue Bell ice cream here or is Blue Bell only down here in the south? I think the Key Lime Pie is outstanding, but then I've stated that before. Husband likes the Chocolate Covered Cherry, daughter the Hot Fudge Brownie.
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Breyers Ice Cream 2004/07/01 15:27:46 (permalink)
    Blue Bell is one of several things I miss about Texas.
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Breyers Ice Cream 2004/07/01 18:55:09 (permalink)
    Rusty, I really like the Krups--no ice or salt. Now is the time you might see it on sale locally or online. Please check Amazon's price, and make sure you arrange for no-charge shipping. I bet my recipe would work with any cane berries. Oh, fooey, now I'm thinking what I could do with enough red raspberries! Before you order the Krups, take a good look at your freezer and see if you will have room to pre-freeze that cylinder, wich is about 9" in diameter and 7" tall. These cylinders also make great ice buckets when pre-frozen. At Chirstmastime, squeeze fresh tangerines, chill that juice then freeze. Tangerine ice is a great, super-light dessert I serve after my New Year's Day Chinese dinner.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Breyers Ice Cream 2004/07/01 19:16:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

Blue Bell is one of several things I miss about Texas.

Blue Bell is available in my area (Braindamage, GA). I tried once. However, after I read label as to ingredients same turned me off. I am a heavy fan of Haagen-Daz & on occasions Bryer's. BB=good, HD=mucho good.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Breyers Ice Cream 2004/07/10 02:08:37 (permalink)
    When I was a kid (50 years ago) Breyers was my favorite. But now, IMHO, it's a shadow of its former self (essentially I agree with chezkatie's comment above). I attribute that to the fact it's now part of some monster conglomerate (can't remember which one). But it may also be that the general level of ice cream quality in the US has greatly improved and what used to be special now just seems mediocre. These days I usually get Dreyers (with a "D") though I find the Safeway store brand is pretty good too so it depends which one's on sale. And when I'm down in AZ, there are certain flavors of Blue Bunny that I like (I'm told by friends from Iowa that BB is big there too).
    garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: Breyers Ice Cream 2004/07/10 09:44:13 (permalink)
    you go 'BT',I agree 100%....when a kid,we used to get Breyers at a soda fountain where the guy '''hand scooped'''the stuff from big containers. Dem's were the days!! great stuff but today,I agree with all as to the 'air' thing,it just ain't the same ice cream.
    LaurieGee52
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: Breyers Ice Cream 2004/08/01 04:36:43 (permalink)
    "Cut my teeth" on Breyers ice cream as a child...chocolate and/or vanilla were just heavenly.....

45+ years later....still crave it from time to time...have now turned to their Low Carb "Rocky Road"....very good.....being out here in Southern California.....their brands don't compare to the "East Coast" brands....yeah I'm a NY snob at heart....

I guess I'm one of the "weird ones"...I can still taste the creaminess that's Breyers signature......

Go figure!

LaurieGee52
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Breyers Ice Cream 2004/08/01 13:12:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by LaurieGee52

I can still taste the creaminess that's Breyers signature......

LaurieGee52

Do you mean you can still taste it in the current product or you can still remember the taste from "back when", because that's most of the reason I don't like it now--it doesn't seem to have the "creaminess" that I remember it having. I still say Dreyers--readily available all over CA as far as I know--comes closer these days.
    LaurieGee52
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: Breyers Ice Cream 2004/08/01 15:38:03 (permalink)
    In response to BT....I can taste Breyer's icecream...both in mind as well as in reality....I am one who prefers things in their simplest state of being as opposed to all the bells and whistles these companies feel they need to create in order to sell their product...i.e. Ben & Jerry's.

LAURIEGEE52
    hoosiergoob
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Breyers Ice Cream 2004/08/01 18:10:38 (permalink)
    I'm still a huge fan of Breyer's. Their Natural Vanilla is the only ice cream for me if I'm not going to make it myself. Is the difference in today's Breyer's the intense "Ultra" pasteurization that seems to happen to all cream these days?
    hoosiergoob
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Breyers Ice Cream 2004/08/01 18:12:24 (permalink)
    Speaking of great ice cream--I remember having Blue Bell while in Texas many years ago. Is it still around?
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Breyers Ice Cream 2004/08/01 19:31:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Goberfood

I'm still a huge fan of Breyer's. Their Natural Vanilla is the only ice cream for me if I'm not going to make it myself. Is the difference in today's Breyer's the intense "Ultra" pasteurization that seems to happen to all cream these days?

Compared to what I remember, the current stuff has the "mouth feel" of ice MILK.
    rmcielwain
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 618
    RE: Breyers Ice Cream 2004/08/01 20:12:42 (permalink)

Goberfood: I just finished yesterday the rest of a half-gallon
    of Blue Bell Key Lime Pie Ice Cream: the best parts are the pieces
    of pie crusts mixed in.....
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Breyers Ice Cream 2004/08/01 22:14:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

quote:
    Originally posted by Goberfood

Compared to what I remember, the current stuff has the "mouth feel" of ice MILK.

Still am a big fan of Breyer's too, but wonder if the organic stuff is any better. Can anyone attest to organic IC? Looks like the Stonyfield company is in the act ...

harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1160
    RE: Breyers Ice Cream 2004/09/19 19:52:07 (permalink)
    Breyer's was the only ice cream my mother ever bought - um, maybe Dolley Madison and maybe Harbison's once in a blue moon, but Breyer's the most. Being on Weight Watcher's, I only buy the no sugar added with as little fat as possible. But I had to pick up ice cream at Shop Rite for my daughter's 16th birthday party and now I'm stuck with a half of a half gallon of full fat in my freezer. And it's not a big freezer. Anybody want it lol.

Oh...and by the way I have gotten it many, many times for $1.99 or $2.49. Anyone who pays more than $4.00 for a half gallon of ice cream has to be...never mind.
    raa
    Junior Burger
    RE: Breyers Ice Cream 2004/09/23 22:15:36 (permalink)
    Message Preview
    Look again Tony! The ice cream you bought at $6 is NOT a half gallon! Breyers shrunk the size their ice cream containers to 1.75 quarts! A sneaky way to get a price increase.

Breyers has gone the way of those sneaky coffee sellers who have brilliantly figured out how to make 12 oz of coffee fill up the same can that used to hold a full pound (16 0z)!

#@^%$!&$#!@&*!!!

Ice Cream and Coffee Lovers - Unite! Rise! and fight sneaky price increases!

RAA in NY

raa
    Junior Burger
    RE: Breyers Ice Cream 2004/09/23 22:33:20 (permalink)

Look again Tony! The ice cream you bought at $6 is NOT a half gallon! Breyers shrunk the size their ice cream containers to 1.75 quarts! A sneaky way to get a price increase.

Breyers has gone the way of those sneaky coffee sellers who have brilliantly figured out how to make 12 oz of coffee fill up the same can that used to hold a full pound (16 0z)!

#@^%$!&$#!@&*!!!

Ice Cream and Coffee Lovers - Unite! Rise! and fight sneaky price increases!

RAA in NY

tmiles
    • Total Posts : 1994
    RE: Breyers Ice Cream 2004/10/01 17:24:35 (permalink)
    If all ice cream tasted like Breyers I would be 50 pounds lighter. It is not that great. When I buy it on sale, I always regret it. Go for the home made any day. It is a great family project. The best ice cream I ever had was made with my own fruit and cream, and it costed me about $5 a pint!!! Even the $6 Breyers is cheaper than that.
    jefffromark
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Breyers Ice Cream 2005/07/20 08:39:08 (permalink)
    Breyers was a high quality ice cream in its day. I thought it still was until recently when i figured out its just all air. I placed 4 scoops in a bowl and let it melt down and what a dissapointment. I remember as a child/teen when mom took me to a Breyers ice cream store in Cranbury NJ - "Harold" would struggle making a double cone with a huge round scooper - wow what a delight the ice cream was smooth, thick and tasty!
    PaulBPool
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 278
    RE: Breyers Ice Cream 2005/07/20 09:08:40 (permalink)
    Well, if anyone remembers my post on the "good humor" board (I think), my sister works for Unilever, the company which now owns G.H., Popsicle, and Breyers. As with most of the brands that Unilever absorbs, one of the first items they address is cutting production costs - and guess how they do that? Yep, by skimping on the good, high priced ingredients. Unilever is all about merchandising and brand recognition, not about product quality or reputation. So, Breyers, at this point, is just a shell of what it used to be. Oh yes, by the way, Unilever purchased Ben & Jerry's about two years ago and guess what? Yep, their penny pinching ways have started to infiltrate into that product as well. Sad, really.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15286
    RE: Breyers Ice Cream 2005/07/20 09:12:55 (permalink)

Paul,
    Are they in the airline business yet? That concept of reminding us of how good a product was in the "good old days" and milking that thought to the cheap but bitter end sure describes what is happening to the service that takes us from place to place?
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1