Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Brie

mbrookes

• Total Posts: 1350
Brie Tue, 03/9/10 1:14 PM (permalink)
I love brie, especially with fresh fruit. Pears are my favorite. Can anyone tell me how to easily get that yucky white stuff off. Are you supposed to eat that? It is really bitter to me.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17805
    Re:Brie Tue, 03/9/10 1:18 PM (permalink)
    Yep, you're supposed to eat it.  But there's no law requiring one to do so.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7593
      Re:Brie Tue, 03/9/10 5:32 PM (permalink)
      I eat it.

However, if you slice it off, leaving a great deal of good cheese connected to it you can then heat it up.  When the cheese gets soft scrape off the good stuff.

LMS

• Total Posts: 12
        Re:Brie Tue, 03/9/10 5:40 PM (permalink)
        I eat it too, though agree it can sometimes taste a little bitter.  Somewhat along the lines of what mar52 suggests, I find that letting the cheese come up to room temp takes the bitterness away.  You should let it warm up for at least an hour - the inside will taste better too!!

divefl

• Total Posts: 1671
          Re:Brie Tue, 03/9/10 6:06 PM (permalink)
          have you tried different brands or ages of Brie?

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9528
            Re:Brie Tue, 03/9/10 6:16 PM (permalink)
            Stolen from www.ehow.com 
            God, do I love Google! Every time someone poses a question about something that I don't know anything about, I automatically go to Google to get the answer. You CAN teach an Old Dog new tricks!

Here's some tips for removing the rind if you choose not to eat it. I find the Brie's Rind taste is in direct proportion to the quality of the Brie and it's origin.
            The rind on Brie cheese is edible and is supposed to be eaten. For many people, though, the texture or taste of the rind alters the taste of the cheese. It is a bit tricky to remove the rind from Brie cheese, but it can be done if you work quickly and with the right tools. Once the rind is removed, store the cheese wrapped in plastic wrap in an airtight container or the rind will form again.
            Difficulty: Easy
            Instructions

Things You'll Need:
          • Sharp, thin stainless steel knife Ice Tall glass Cutting board
            Step 1
            Place the wrapped Brie cheese in the freezer for 1 hour. The idea is to make the cheese rind very cold so that it will slice easily from the cheese. One hour is sufficient time for any size or shape of Brie cheese.
            Step 2
            Fill a tall glass with ice and submerge the blade of the knife fully into the ice. Let the knife stay in the ice for at least 2 to 3 minutes to become very cold.
            Step 3
            Remove the cheese from the freezer and unwrap. Place the cheese on a cutting board.
            Step 4
            Remove the knife from the ice and, without drying the blade, quickly slice the rind away from the top surface of the cheese. Place the knife back into the ice and let the blade re-chill for 30 to 60 seconds.
            Step 5
            Turn the cheese over and slice the rind from the bottom side. Return the knife to the ice to chill again for 30 seconds.
            Step 6
            Work as quickly as possible and cut away the rind from the outside edges of the Brie. Follow the shape of the Brie: If the cheese is round, work around the outside; if triangular or another shape, trim the long edges first and then the ends. The key is to remove the rind before the cheese has completely thawed. Once the rind is removed, use the cheese immediately or wrap in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator until needed.
          • Tips & Warnings

Keeping the knife cold and wet is essential to this process. Freezing the cheese for an hour will not change the texture, only make the rind easier to remove without damaging the cheese. Thin, fish fillet knifes work well for removing the rind as they are not only sharp, but also flexible. Brie cheese was originally made in La Brie, France, but is now made worldwide

Elegant Brie
            Need an appetizer that will amaze your guests? Brie in puff pastry!
            www.elegantbrie.com

Brie Appetizer Recipes
            Looking for brie appetizer recipes? Browse recipe ideas online.
            www.RecipeReading.com

Phyllo Dough Recipes
            Delicious phyllo recipes, photos, videos and more!
            www.phyllo.com

•  
              baileysoriginal

• Total Posts: 758
              Re:Brie Tue, 03/9/10 11:08 PM (permalink)

We always have only appetizers on Christmas Eve - last year we added Brie en Croute to the list and it was a hit - not only was it visually appealing but it tasted great.  We didn't remove the rind.

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                Re:Brie Tue, 03/9/10 11:41 PM (permalink)
                I always leave the skin on and wait until it's at room temperature to slice it. Good brie tastes fine that way.

I love to slap some triple-crème brie like St. André on a steak just off the [charcoal!] grill. It just melts, like butter, and has a great flavor.

<message edited by Rick F. on Tue, 03/9/10 11:45 PM>

Foodbme

Re:Brie Wed, 03/10/10 1:21 AM (permalink)
                  Rick F.

I always leave the skin on and wait until it's at room temperature to slice it. Good brie tastes fine that way.

I love to slap some triple-crème brie like St. André on a steak just off the [charcoal!] grill. It just melts, like butter, and has a great flavor.

Rick,
                  THANK YOU for that link. It takes you to http://www.cheesesupply.com/ which is a Great Link for buying various cheeses!

jimcor

• Total Posts: 148
                    Re:Brie Wed, 03/10/10 8:28 AM (permalink)
                    Brie, wonderful stuff. Expensive tho'. To save money and achieve that same great taste I suggest chewing on a day old worn sweat sock. OK, I admit the texture is not quite the same, but the taste is dead (yep) on.

You own all my brie, tank you ver muchly.

mbrookes

• Total Posts: 1350
                      Re:Brie Wed, 03/10/10 1:11 PM (permalink)
                      Thanks for all the info. I guess I'm buying cheap stuff. Here in the boonies, there is not a whole lot of choice.

I'll try the ice method, and if that doesn't work I'll just learn to like the rind.

Foodbme

Re:Brie Wed, 03/10/10 1:15 PM (permalink)
                        mbrookes

Thanks for all the info. I guess I'm buying cheap stuff. Here in the boonies, there is not a whole lot of choice.

I'll try the ice method, and if that doesn't work I'll just learn to like the rind.

See my note above about an On-line Store that sells all kinds of quality cheeses and I'll bet they ship to the Boonies as well! 

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 939
                          Re:Brie Wed, 03/10/10 4:33 PM (permalink)
                          I make little garlic toast rounds out of a baguette, bake the brie until it's just turning soft, then slather it on the toast and top with a thin slice of granny smith apple.

I'm not a big fan of the rind, so I generally dig the cheese out from underneath it, but if some of the rind comes off with it I'll eat it.

moneypenny27

• Total Posts: 27
                            Re:Brie Wed, 03/10/10 7:00 PM (permalink)
                            People love this, not cheap but it works.

Chili Brie in Sourdough

1tsp. Chili Powder or Cayenne
                            1/2 tsp. dry ground Mustard
                            1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
                            1/2 tsp. sugar
                            1 round loaf (1lb.) sourdough bread {doesnt have to be sourdough, as long as bread is round]
                            1 wheel Brie Cheese (8oz)
                            1Tb. softened butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Combine spices and sugar; set aside.  Cut circle in top of bread and remove bread center to make room for Brie.  Spread butter in bread; sprinkle with 2tsp. spice mixture.  With knife, make 2-inch cuts around edge of bread at 1-inch intervals.  Remove rind from Brie and place in bread.  Sprinkle Brie with remaining spice.  Replace top of bread.  Bake on baking sheet 20-30 min.  To serve, remove bread top and break into bite size pieces.  Dip bread pieces in hot brie.

Hints: Keep brie cold, easier to cut rind off that way.  You don't really need a small wheel, two wedges work too.  If you love chili/hot spice I wouldn't recommend tampering with the ammounts the first time out, the spice ratio is truly a very fine balance; you'll see.

Enjoy

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
                              Re:Brie Wed, 03/10/10 8:01 PM (permalink)
                              I love brie! Plain on a Ritz or baked, soft, gooey, delish.
                              Years ago I had a stuffed baked brie recipe, stuffed with spinach, sundried tomatoes, garlic...I can't find the same one on the net, when I come across it, I'll post it.

I love that savory appetizer but I really really love baked brie with cranberry topping.  Just take a one pound wheel of brie, put it on a pie plate, process chunky an apple with some walnuts and 1/2 can of whole berry sauce, a tsp of cinnamon, a dash of salt, 1 tbs brown sugar.  Pour that on the cranberry, bake 450F  5 minutes till soft.  Serve with crackers.  You could also instead of topping it, cut the brie in half, sandwich the mix in the brie, top with the other half and bake same till gooey.  Great stuff....

And by the way,  the rind is great, especially when baked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pattycakes

• Total Posts: 15
                                Re:Brie Thu, 03/11/10 1:31 PM (permalink)
                                I have a great recipe for cream of mushroom soup w/brie. You could also vary recipe with Cauliflower and cheddar or brussels sprouts and blue.
                                If you would like original recipe, just leave me a message and I will send it to you.

Foodbme

Re:Brie Thu, 03/11/10 4:22 PM (permalink)
                                  pattycakes

I have a great recipe for cream of mushroom soup w/brie. You could also vary recipe with Cauliflower and cheddar or brussels sprouts and blue.
                                  If you would like original recipe, just leave me a message and I will send it to you.

Just post it on here and be done with it. That way you won't have to send 50 emails.

pattycakes

• Total Posts: 15
                                    Re:Brie Mlushroom and Brie Soup Fri, 03/12/10 12:08 PM (permalink)
                                    Foodbme

pattycakes

Just post it on here and be done with it. That way you won't have to send 50 emails.

Cream of Mushroom Soup w/Brie

2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
                                    1 Lg onion, diced
                                    1 clove garlic, minced
                                    1 tsp fresh thyme of 3/4 tsp. dry thyme
                                    1 Cup strong beef stock or consomme (Campbells)
                                    3 Cups cream or 2 Cups cream and 1 Cup milk
                                    3 tbsp. Beau Monde (uncooked cold roux, 2tbsp melted or soft butter)
                                    1 oz butter
                                    1/2 Cup Sherry
                                    8 oz Brie, trimmed of any hard rind.

In a large saucepan, saute the onions and garlice in the melted butter, stirring frequently and making sure that they don't brown. Add the mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes more. Add the thyme, cream stock and beau monde. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently and immediately reduce to simmer. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the shery, stirring well as yu add it so as not the curdle the cream.
                                    Start adding the brie a small piece at a time, stirring constantly, until it is all incorporated. Season withi salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Serve immediately. If you reheat this soup, use a thick bottomed pot and stir often as the cheese is prone to sticking.  Serving size: 1 cup.  Makes 10 cups.
                                    Can also vary recipe using spinach and feta, or cauliflower and cheddar, or Brussels sprouts and blue.
                                    I like to serve with a rustic bread, simple salad and a simple dessert.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                      • No New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                      • Read Message
                                      • Post New Thread
                                      • Reply to message
                                      • Post New Poll
                                      • Submit Vote
                                      • Post reward post
                                      • Delete my own posts
                                      • Delete my own threads
                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com