Brisket, hot or cold?

Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
2010/05/25 12:55:29 (permalink)

Brisket, hot or cold?

I just had a guy order a 1 lb. platter of Brisket, cold, he says all places in Texas serve it cold...having never had brisket in Texas, I was suprised at this...first of all is he correct? Secondly, I agree that it's just as delicious cold, how do you prefer it?

15 Replies Related Threads

enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    Re:Brisket, hot or cold? 2010/05/25 15:47:58 (permalink)
    Hot
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3751
    Re:Brisket, hot or cold? 2010/05/25 16:27:39 (permalink)
    Well, this is an interesting question.  The next time  that I come to your restaurant  (and eat too much), you will have to give me a sample of each and I will let you know!
    ynotryme
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    Re:Brisket, hot or cold? 2010/05/25 16:48:23 (permalink)
    my experience in DFW has been sliced brisket is usually served room temperature and some places slice and then chop and others have it in a tray prechopped in a tray of heated sauce.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Brisket, hot or cold? 2010/05/25 16:51:59 (permalink)
    Greymo

Well, this is an interesting question.  The next time  that I come to your restaurant  (and eat too much), you will have to give me a sample of each and I will let you know!

Greymo,
    Trust me on this, I had a cold brisket sandwich today, put red onions on it, if this isn't as good as the pit beef place in Baltimore, all grub is on me!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tom
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Brisket, hot or cold? 2010/06/08 22:11:59 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

Greymo

Greymo,
    Trust me on this, I had a cold brisket sandwich today, put red onions on it, if this isn't as good as the pit beef place in Baltimore, all grub is on me!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tom

Really that blows my mind. I have never tried it cold before. LMAO Are you guys serious?

Jack
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Brisket, hot or cold? 2010/06/08 22:13:40 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

I just had a guy order a 1 lb. platter of Brisket, cold, he says all places in Texas serve it cold...having never had brisket in Texas, I was suprised at this...first of all is he correct? Secondly, I agree that it's just as delicious cold, how do you prefer it?

What comes on the platter and what do you charge for it?

Jack
    frognot
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 54
    Re:Brisket, hot or cold? 2010/06/09 04:45:59 (permalink)
    While this native Texan is not adverse to cold brisket, all the bbq joints i've eaten brisket at serve it warm.

i like mine to rest a little right out of the smoker because it reabsorbs the juices and it's a little easier to slice then, but even then it's still pretty warm.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    Re:Brisket, hot or cold? 2010/06/09 06:06:03 (permalink)
    I have enjoyed Brisket at a number of BBQ places in Texas and have never been served 'cold' (as in refrigerated) meat. I have picked up ready-made sandwiches from the refrigerator cases at some convenience stores there. I will assume that allowing a Brisket to 'Rest' after coming out of the pit, and serving it warm, or even room temp. doesn't make it "Cold" !
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Brisket, hot or cold? 2010/06/09 12:13:39 (permalink)
    Dr of BBQ

chewingthefat

What comes on the platter and what do you charge for it?

Jack

Absolutely serious, it really is good cold, like roast beef you buy at a deli is cold...
    I charge $19.99 a lb. with any two sides which run the gamut from FF, to collards, corn bread, etc. Our 1 lb platter is more like 1&1/2 lbs. of meat, few people finish the whole platter, all are happy to get a large to go box!
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Brisket, hot or cold? 2010/06/09 12:21:35 (permalink)
    mayor al

I have enjoyed Brisket at a number of BBQ places in Texas and have never been served 'cold' (as in refrigerated) meat. I have picked up ready-made sandwiches from the refrigerator cases at some convenience stores there. I will assume that allowing a Brisket to 'Rest' after coming out of the pit, and serving it warm, or even room temp. doesn't make it "Cold" !

Al, actually I do mean room temp, not out of the refrig cold...that said it is really good, cold out of the refrig, but I served the guy I talked about a room temp platter we just sliced and hadn't brought back to warm in a beef broth we make and let the sliced brisket warm in.
    We pull out brisket, foil it and let it in the walk in, overnight, so we do slice it cold, sliced hot out of the smoker and it tends to fall apart if smoked correctly, IMHO!
    post edited by chewingthefat - 2010/06/09 12:39:41
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    Re:Brisket, hot or cold? 2010/06/09 13:05:25 (permalink)
    OK it was the use of the descriptive terms that misled me. 

Many of the places I have been in Texas serve what would be considered room temp...not re-heated in broth beef. Out of the Pit, sitting on a work table for xxx minutes (or stored in a warm but not cooking hot corner of the pit) then sliced to order, is what I would probably call the "normal TEXAS-style" of service.

Here are a couple of slices of Kreuz Market Brisket (with a slab of Prime Rib and some Pork Ribs under the Brisket to show a typical Meat serving (for a small child !!)

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5108
    Re:Brisket, hot or cold? 2010/06/09 13:40:59 (permalink)
    frognot

While this native Texan is not adverse to cold brisket, all the bbq joints i've eaten brisket at serve it warm.

i like mine to rest a little right out of the smoker because it reabsorbs the juices and it's a little easier to slice then, but even then it's still pretty warm.

Ditto for me. I'll eat it cold but never had it served, cold. Much prefer it warm.

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5108
    Re:Brisket, hot or cold? 2010/06/09 13:42:23 (permalink)
    mayor al

OK it was the use of the descriptive terms that misled me. 

Many of the places I have been in Texas serve what would be considered room temp...not re-heated in broth beef. Out of the Pit, sitting on a work table for xxx minutes (or stored in a warm but not cooking hot corner of the pit) then sliced to order, is what I would probably call the "normal TEXAS-style" of service.

Here are a couple of slices of Kreuz Market Brisket (with a slab of Prime Rib and some Pork Ribs under the Brisket to show a typical Meat serving (for a small child !!)

Oh, how I wish I could jump in to that picture!

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:Brisket, hot or cold? 2010/06/09 22:48:10 (permalink)
    So Chewer, did you put some in tha fridge for this guy?

Room temp is common in Texas. We don't call it cold though. It sits out and then gets sliced or chopped up. It can be on the warm side sometimes.

Yep, that Kreuz Q pic made me real hungry for some.
    Joe
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Brisket, hot or cold? 2010/06/10 14:00:34 (permalink)
    PapaJoe8

So Chewer, did you put some in tha fridge for this guy?

Room temp is common in Texas. We don't call it cold though. It sits out and then gets sliced or chopped up. It can be on the warm side sometimes.

Yep, that Kreuz Q pic made me real hungry for some.
    Joe

I'm guilty of misstating the actual temp. it was room temp so I called it cold, which is misleading...however I frequently make myself a cold, out of the walk in, just sliced sandwich, it's still really good, if I do say so myself!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1