Brisket in NC?

Author
NC Cheesehead
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 158
2009/10/10 19:01:41 (permalink)

Brisket in NC?

Ok, I know this is going to be a sore question for all of you traditional NC BBQ folks who love your carolina style shredded pork BBQ with the vinegar based sauces on a bun with coleslaw.   I personally love pork BBQ but I like bone in ribs (KC style) without the vinegar based sauce and prefer it on the bone as opposed to shredded on a bun.  I can find pork BBQ anywhere here in NC prepared as mentioned but my significant other from Texas misses good BBQ beef brisket.

Problem is, she is from Texas and loves her beef brisket.  We tried "Big Bob Gibsons" chain here in Monroe and the beef was dried out as hell.  I seem to be having a hard time getting anything "beef" related around here other than frozen burgers here in NC that are not worth a damn.  Hell, other than chains, I can't find a single place that even serves prime rib.  I think there were more cows in my backyard in WI than there are in all of NC. This was literally my backyard....  http://www.fountainprairi...ry.about.fpf2.10  I am from the midwest where good beef steaks and roasts are a dime a dozen.  It seems that unless it's shredded pork or fried chicken or fried anything for that matter, its not available here.  Anybody with any beef knowledge in NC, please help!

Can anyone tell me a good place to get good brisket in the Charlotte area?

Thank you! From a cow loving cheesehead in NC......

15 Replies Related Threads

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6178
    Re:Brisket in NC? 2009/10/12 17:18:46 (permalink)
    I could be wrong but finding Brisket in Charlotte is about as easy as finding Carolina chopped pork in Lockhart, Texas!
    NC Cheesehead
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Brisket in NC? 2009/10/12 17:56:37 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

I could be wrong but finding Brisket in Charlotte is about as easy as finding Carolina chopped pork in Lockhart, Texas!

Yeah, I am afraid you are right.  That Bob Gibsons chain may be our only choice.  We have looked everywhere here and got some strange looks from many people when asking about brisket.....

Thanks for your post.
    Pocosin
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re:Brisket in NC? 2009/10/13 10:33:48 (permalink)
    I've read that Cook's Barbecue up in Lexington does beef bbq, although I'm not sure if it's brisket or not.  Wilber's in Goldsboro and Bum's in Ayden have it once a week or so as a daily special, but neither is exactly close to Charlotte.  Pete's Wycked Grill in Greenville does a good brisket(I have had it several times), but again, not in your neck of the woods.

If you want a really good, hole in the wall sort of steakhouse, check out the Beefmastor Inn in Wilson if you're down east sometime.  The whole place only has about 10 tables, and they only offer ribeye, a big slab of which is brought out to your table.  You tell them how much you want them to cut off.  It's one of those places that is all about doing one thing really well.

In general though, you'd be better off focusing on foods that are popular in NC.  This isn't beef country.  Have you thought about cooking your own brisket?  It's a pretty easy cut to cook at home.
    post edited by Pocosin - 2009/10/13 10:40:56
    ghood
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Brisket in NC? 2009/10/13 11:25:40 (permalink)
    The best beef brisket near you is probably Mac's Speed Shop in  Charlotte.  They have a location near downtown off of South BLVD and corner of Remount and a location southwest on corner of South Tryon and Sandy Porter Road near the Ayrsley Shopping Center.
    NC Cheesehead
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Brisket in NC? 2009/10/13 13:48:14 (permalink)
    Pocosin

I've read that Cook's Barbecue up in Lexington does beef bbq, although I'm not sure if it's brisket or not.  Wilber's in Goldsboro and Bum's in Ayden have it once a week or so as a daily special, but neither is exactly close to Charlotte.  Pete's Wycked Grill in Greenville does a good brisket(I have had it several times), but again, not in your neck of the woods.

If you want a really good, hole in the wall sort of steakhouse, check out the Beefmastor Inn in Wilson if you're down east sometime.  The whole place only has about 10 tables, and they only offer ribeye, a big slauab of which is brought out to your table.  You tell them how much you want them to cut off.  It's one of those places that is all about doing one thing really well.

In general though, you'd be better off focusing on foods that are popular in NC.  This isn't beef country.  Have you thought about cooking your own brisket?  It's a pretty easy cut to cook at home.

Pocosin,

Thanks for the tips. I will give it a shot.  I like the Carolina pork but crave a good steak now and a again.  Know of any good places that serve a good slab of prime rib with aujus on the side?  Looks like I am limited to fried chicken and catfish or pulled pork.  Oh well, I guess when they say when in Rome....

Do you know of any good butcher shops that might have a good brisket?  I looked at the local places (Food Lion, Lowes foods, Bi-low you name it cant find it.)

Ghood, I will mark that one down.  Thank you much for the tip.
    Pocosin
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re:Brisket in NC? 2009/10/13 14:03:12 (permalink)
    NC Cheesehead
    Thanks for the tips. I will give it a shot.  I like the Carolina pork but crave a good steak now and a again.  Know of any good places that serve a good slab of prime rib with aujus on the side? 

No, sorry.  I've had prime rib maybe once or twice in my entire life.  It just doesn't do it for me.

Do you know of any good butcher shops that might have a good brisket?  I looked at the local places (Food Lion, Lowes foods, Bi-low you name it cant find it.)

I usually get brisket at Sam's Club or Wal-Mart.  Lowe's Foods typically has a good meat department- they may be able to get it if you ask.  You might try farmer's markets and the like, also.  There are a couple of organic beef producers near me- the prices are high, though.  I want to say that brisket runs around $9/lb. from Nooheroka Naturals.
    Play27
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    Re:Brisket in NC? 2009/10/13 14:06:05 (permalink)
    I live in Greensboro. I either cook my brisket myself or order it. I recently ordered from Kreuz Market in Lockhart and it was a pretty good deal, arrived still frozen. Any of the high end grocery stores will sell brisket although you might have to ask. is there a Fresh Market chain in your area? also, I have found several really, really good steak places in this area. mid-priced the Prime rib at tripp's is good. On the high end, any of the Chop House chain will produce great prime rib. Hope this helps some.
    NC Cheesehead
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Brisket in NC? 2009/11/24 13:34:26 (permalink)
    I found a place 6 miles down the road that has incredible brisket along with awesome Carolina style pulled pork.

http://www.rockstorebarbq.com/

I would highly recommend this place to anyone who is in the area.   I had the Carolina style pulled pork sandwich and of course Mrs. NCcheesehead had the brisket platter.  Both were awesome, juicy and had the smoke flavor one would expect from a real BBQ place.  They have a neat little attached produce stand in the back when produce is in season as well.  It's funny because I have driven by it multiple times but always payed attention to the produce stand. 

Thank you to all for your help and suggestions.

Wabbit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 477
    Re:Brisket in NC? 2009/11/29 16:29:22 (permalink)
    For Beef Brisket check out Bib's in Winston-Salem. They smoke Beef, Chicken,Pork and links. Any sauce is served on the side. They are located near downtown and are fairly new. I agree with the Chop House for a good Steak, they have 4-5 locations I believe.
    ryandh
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Brisket in NC? 2010/01/10 10:19:39 (permalink)
    Wow, I wonder how many times I've driven by rockstore?  I live in Mooresville but work in Matthews some.  Lived most of my life in OK so I miss brisket and ribs.

I recently started doing alot of smoking myself and did a brisket a couple weeks ago.  I got it at WalMart and it turned out pretty good.  I'm going to shop around some and see what I find for quality/price per lb differences..
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:Brisket in NC? 2010/01/10 11:37:20 (permalink)
    If you can find a Sadler's Smokehouse whole brisket at the stores you will think you have died and gone to Texas. Just re heat it slow until some of the juice seeps out. They make something called Tender Sliced but it is not the same flavor.
    Joe
    schevel
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Brisket in NC? 2010/01/16 10:16:47 (permalink)
    mac's speed shop has brisket like i've never tasted before, although they are mighty proud of it, it's a bit pricey!
    If you're venturing around there is a fairly new bbq joint in lake wylie s.c. just across the bridge behind t-bones in an old shopping center called "the pit". There formal name is Q2U and they have a website (q2u.com) but they have brisket every friday and sometimes sat. if they don't run out. This is a very small restaurant (the best kind) and they are only open wed.-sat. They also do chopped bbq, but plain you choose the sauce and the slaw is on the side.  Well worth the drive and the lake is beautiful anyway, my wife also loves the fried bologna with onions. Enjoy!!!
    Rekkid Guy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Brisket in NC? 2010/02/07 17:33:58 (permalink)
    The absolute best brisket near Charlotte is from Outlaw BBQ in Matthews. In fact, it's probably the best brisket I've ever had, and I've had more than my share over the years throughout the South. They have both brisket sandwiches and plates. I think they just opened another location in Monroe. But it is worth seeking out. They have limited hours though, so check before you go. It's also take-out only so keep that in mind. I'm not sure if you can eat at the new Monore location or if that's take-out only as well. 

Mac's Speed Shop is very hit or miss. I've had it when it was melt-in-your-mouth incredible, and I had it when it was like shoe leather and I swore I'd never go back. The quality control is very poor there, and it also isn't cheap.

The pulled-pork sandwich at Outlaw is very good as well. It's huge (1/2 lb of pork), it's $5 and it's divine.

PorkyLeSwine
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re:Brisket in NC? 2010/04/07 22:26:46 (permalink)
    Cook's in Lexington does beef brisket and the pit master's dad (and fellow pit master) learned how to cook it in Texas. Pretty good stuff, as is his NC pork barbecue.  See my review at
    PorkyLeSwine
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re:Brisket in NC? 2010/04/07 22:29:48 (permalink)
    Whoops, I guess I can't send a link.  Visit the BBQ Jew website and search it for Cook's to find my review, if you are interested.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1