The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Brisket success - PICS

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
Brisket success - PICS Mon, 06/18/07 2:08 AM (permalink)
The thread on making brisket on a gas grill got me motivated to give it a try...I have never made a brisket before so I was a bit apprehensive, especially because we were having guests over (including my Brother, who is a chef.)

Here's my effort tonight.

I took the brisket and added a nice rub to it last night, then wrapped it in saran wrap and stuck it in the fridge till this morning.

About lunch time I heated up the gas grill to about 225 degrees and added my pre soaked Mesquite wood chips. I put the brisket directly on the grill (fat side up) but away from the heat side and put a drip pan under the meat.

I put a couple slices of applewood smoked bacon on the top of the brisket and let er rip.

I checked the wood chips from time to time and added fresh as needed. I also put a mixture of apple cider vineger and water in the drip pan, and occasionally sprayed the brisket with apple juice. Oh yeah, I had a little diet coke left over that I poured over the meat as well.

After 5 hours the internal temp was only about 150, and since I was getting close to dinner time, I pulled the brisket and put it in the drip pan with the juices and sealed it up tight, then popped it in the oven at 325 for an hour and 20 minutes.

I pulled the pan and still covered in foil, wrapped it in a towel and put it in a cooler for another 45 minutes.

In the meantime I grilled some chicken breasts that had been marinating in an orange poppyseed marinade (Emeril's, very tasty!) just in case the brisket was a bomb.

The final product:

For sides I also made my Adobo Potato Au Gratin and someone brought a mixed salad with raspberry vinegarette dressing and fresh strawberries.

Pic of Adobo Potatoes Au Gratin from a previous post...

The brisket came out much better than I expected, and was not dry at all. We didn't even feel the need to put anything else on it (BBQ sauce, for example) it was good just the way it was. I was feeding 8 people and everyone commented on the great brisket, so I am going to claim sucess!

Plan B, just in case....

Thanks again to everyone for your comments and advice.

DD

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4899
    RE: Brisket success - PICS Mon, 06/18/07 2:32 AM (permalink)
    Wow! What a great job for your first attempt at brisket. Great smoke ring and all.
    I could almost taste it looking at your pictures. Again, great job! Thanks for sharing.

Twinwillow

RE: Brisket success - PICS Mon, 06/18/07 2:35 AM (permalink)
      BTW, how much did your brisket weigh when you bought it?
      I may try to duplicate your recipe.

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
        RE: Brisket success - PICS Mon, 06/18/07 7:54 AM (permalink)
        That's perfect DD, doesn't get any better. Wrapping it in the pan with sauce guaranteed a tasty, and moist, product; nice smoke ring as well.

Forgot, bet I know whats going to happen with that chicken.

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
          RE: Brisket success - PICS Mon, 06/18/07 9:34 AM (permalink)

====I have never made a brisket before so I was a bit apprehensive, especially because we were having guests over (including my Brother, who is a chef.) ===

One of the biggest misconceptions is when you have a kitchen professional over for dinner, people think that the food needs to be up to a higher standard. Not speaking for all, but the truth is that we are more than glad to eat what is served.
          I went to a graduation party yesterday and was perfectly satisfied with the offerings. Among them there were two types of penne that was brought in from a local restaurant. Would I go to a restaurant to order it? No, but it was good enough for me to take some of the leftover penne with artichokes, spinach and chicken.

The worst misconception is that a pro should be able to help or cook a dish at the place of the celebration. This can happen on holidays at my parents where they assume that I can help with the preparation. I have found many occaisions where I wonder how anyone can cook with the tools they have. Ginzu knives along with a 8 X 10 cutting board are a big tip-off that there will be problems.

That said, I would be enjoy that brisket. It looks moist enough for me.

mark

desertdog

RE: Brisket success - PICS Mon, 06/18/07 9:50 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by twinwillow

BTW, how much did your brisket weigh when you bought it?
            I may try to duplicate your recipe.

I got it at Trader Joes and it was 3 lbs. I know, small for a brisket but hey, it worked!

DD

unabashed

• Total Posts: 435
              RE: Brisket success - PICS Mon, 06/25/07 12:36 AM (permalink)
              looks awesum them potatos look like a perfect side....something different.
              GREAT JOB !!!!!

rosebudspam

• Total Posts: 3
                RE: Brisket success - PICS Sat, 07/5/08 4:40 PM (permalink)
                well this is my first time on Roadfood, looks like a great site! looking for brisket info and lo and behold, pictures, just what I need cuz Im a visual person, Im gonna try this tommorrow, I went to the butcher today got a fresh cut brisket , not a flat cut ,but he did cut away some of the fat , its about 4lbs so I guess Ill be eating brisket for days but I found a marinade, and so tommorrow I will fire up the grill and wish me luck, but one thing where is that recipe for the Adobo potatoes, they look yummy !! should would be a great accompaniment for the brisket, any way I will try and take pics and post, too

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  RE: Brisket success - PICS Sat, 07/5/08 4:58 PM (permalink)
                  rosebudspam, try this link for info on posting pics: http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21719
                  Good luck on your brisket efforts there!

Twinwillow

RE: Brisket success - PICS Sat, 07/5/08 5:09 PM (permalink)
                    Welcome aboard, "rosebudsman". be sure to let us all know how you fared with your brisket. Include pictures too, if possible.

rosebudspam

RE: Brisket success - PICS Sun, 07/6/08 9:24 AM (permalink)
                      thanks for the tip on how to add pics, im a little pc challenged if you know what I mean.
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by UncleVic

rosebudspam, try this link for info on posting pics: http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21719
                      Good luck on your brisket efforts there!

Slim Strummer

• Total Posts: 233
                        RE: Brisket success - PICS Sun, 07/6/08 9:40 AM (permalink)
                        Great looking smoke ring.

Adobo Au Gratin?? How do you make that??

All of it looks FANTASTIC, including the chicken. I admire it all.

By the way, I have found the pros for whom I have home cooked to be more appreciative and gracious than other home cooks who consider themselves culinary geniuses.

rosebudspam

RE: Brisket success - PICS Sun, 07/6/08 1:21 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Slim Strummer

Great looking smoke ring.

Adobo Au Gratin?? How do you make that??

All of it looks FANTASTIC, including the chicken. I admire it all.

By the way, I have found the pros for whom I have home cooked to be more appreciative and gracious than other home cooks who consider themselves culinary geniuses.

Hi Slim-- I just found the recipe for the Adobo Potatoes by googling them and Desertdog posted it back in Jan 08 ,so I pasted it here so you wont have to go searching, Im gonna try it tonight with my brisket, my mouth is watering already

Adobo Potatoes Au Gratin

1 clove garlic
                          2 TBL Sweet Butter, softened
                          2 1/2 LB Yukon Gold Potatoes (peeled and sliced thin)
                          2 TBL Finely chopped Italian Parsley
                          Nutmeg
                          2 1/2 Cups Heavy Cream
                          3 TBL Adobo Sauce (the sauce chipolte Chilis are canned in)
                          1 Cup Gouda Cheese
                          S & P

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Rub bottom and sides of medium sized baking dish with garlic, then smear butter over bottom and sides of baking dish.

In large mixing bowl, season the potatoes with S & P, add parsely and toss well. Grate Nutmeg over potatoes and toss again.

Layer the potatoes in the baking dish.

In a separate bowl mix the cream and Adobo suace together. Gently pour the cream over the potatoes. Shake the dish back and forth until the salt dissolves.

During baking, a crust forms. Carefully break it up and gently submerge it in the unbrowned cream. Bake until cream fully reduces to form a thick sauce and potatoes are soft, about 1 1/2 hours.

Sprinkle with gouda cheese and allow to melt. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.

desertdog

RE: Brisket success - PICS Sun, 07/6/08 8:48 PM (permalink)

Glad you found it, RBS. Missed your earlier posts as I was out of town. Hope you enjoy the potatoes, and good luck on the brisket!

DD

Slim Strummer

• Total Posts: 233
                              RE: Brisket success - PICS Tue, 07/8/08 9:55 AM (permalink)
                              Thanks!

This will be in the rotation soon...

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                                RE: Brisket success - PICS Tue, 07/8/08 10:17 PM (permalink)
                                DD.. Just what did the ladies eat that night?
                                (besides potatoes?)
                                (we do know about the vegetarians in your household..)

Brisket looks good to me!

desertdog

RE: Brisket success - PICS Wed, 07/9/08 9:12 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by roossy90

(besides potatoes?)

They all go to Europe for the summer. This is how the "bachelor" eats while entertaining his meat eating friends!

DD

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                                    RE: Brisket success - PICS Mon, 07/14/08 3:29 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by desertdog

quote:
                                    Originally posted by roossy90

(besides potatoes?)

They all go to Europe for the summer. This is how the "bachelor" eats while entertaining his meat eating friends!

DD

"While the cat is away.....Friends dont let friends eat beef alone!"

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15069
                                      • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      RE: Brisket success - PICS Mon, 07/14/08 3:51 PM (permalink)

When we do a Brisket in my smoker , we tend to go go the 10 lb or larger chunks. because of the difference of the thickness and density of the fat layer, some care in the preparation and 'rub-addition' must be made. We do attempt to trim the "internal" fat layer a bit but leave the top-cap for lubrication during the 12-14 hours we keep it in the smoker. I have a 'side-burner' Brinkman, so we keep the thick end on the left (closer to the heat and smoke entrance) to slow the cook rate for the thinner end. I haven't done one for a couple of years, but have yet to have a failure when we really stay with the 'Low and Slow' Rule.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6253
                                        RE: Brisket success - PICS Mon, 07/14/08 8:03 PM (permalink)
                                        Europe for the summer?? Geeze, I want to hang out with those ladies.

Low and slow is surely the way to get good brisket. Due to our fluctuating climate here in AK it's hard to predict when you're going to smoke. In the CA desert it was much easier...you could smoke and/or grill almost every day. And I agree with the Mayor, I also prefer a 10-lb piece of meat.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                          • No New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                          • Read Message
                                          • Post New Thread
                                          • Reply to message
                                          • Post New Poll
                                          • Submit Vote
                                          • Post reward post
                                          • Delete my own posts
                                          • Delete my own threads
                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com