Broasted chicken

Author
scbuzz
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 844
2003/03/07 08:27:38 (permalink)

Broasted chicken

If you are ever in Columbia SC, you should try the broasted chicken at Zesto's (actually it is over the bridge in West Columbia). Excellent !

23 Replies Related Threads

silvrlvr
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Broasted chicken 2003/11/29 01:13:41 (permalink)
    Also two places to get broasted chicken in suburban Detroit:
    Guernsey Farms on Novi Road in Northville, which also makes broasted potatoes, served with sour cream, and Mr. Chicken on Telegraph Road in Dearborn Heights.
    Both places have great desserts: Guernsey specializes in ice cream, and Mr. C has wonderful pie. Also, you can find Mr. C by looking for the big chicken on the roof.
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Broasted chicken 2003/11/29 01:54:30 (permalink)
    I remember hearing/reading the term "broasted" from many years ago (am now near 60). Any idea where it originated?
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Broasted chicken 2003/11/29 03:17:37 (permalink)
    RickF - this company trademarked the name in 1954. Whether the term was in use before that I don't know.

http://www.broaster.com/whatisgbc.htm
    Rick F.
    RE: Broasted chicken 2003/11/29 03:41:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hermitt4d

RickF - this company trademarked the name in 1954. Whether the term was in use before that I don't know. http://www.broaster.com/whatisgbc.htm
    Interesting, and thanks. I'll follow up; but I noticed that the company refers to "broaster" rather than "broasted." This is beginning to be fun!
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Broasted chicken 2003/11/29 03:54:14 (permalink)
    Rick F. - they have 'broasted' trademarked, too " />. There was a chain here that called its product 'golden broasted chicken;' they actually did chickens rotisserie style and were apparently forced to stop using the term. I brought this up long ago in the 'long gone chains' thread; I thought the term was a contraction of broiled and roasted, then; I had never heard of broasted before then and didn't know what was involved . I don't know that I've ever had broasted chicken (or anything).
    Rick F.
    RE: Broasted chicken 2003/11/29 04:09:07 (permalink)
    quote:

Rick F. - they have 'broasted' trademarked, too " />.
    Yes, I found that too. Doesn't help either of us, does it? Well, I'll keep pluggin' along. Let us know if you find out anything. I think my encounter was in Albuquerque in the '50s.

Rick
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Broasted chicken 2003/11/29 04:45:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rick F.

quote:

Rick F. - they have 'broasted' trademarked, too " />.
    Yes, I found that too. Doesn't help either of us, does it?
    Rick

Nope. But it sure is making me hungry for some broasted chicken . I think there was another old thread on the topic, too. Might try searching the site.
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: Broasted chicken 2003/11/29 09:05:41 (permalink)
    Yes, there was a thread that referred to broasted chicken. But nevertheless, I loved broasted chicken. It was big in the late 50's and 60's. I could go for some soon (at least after the turkey leftovers are gone).
    Briarhill
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Broasted chicken 2003/11/29 11:13:21 (permalink)
    Broasted chicken is essentially the first generation of KFC: chicken deep-fried under pressure. You can get find this factoid and request a listing of broasted chicken places near you by going to:

http://www.broaster.com/default_main.asp

Cheers!

Robert J. Mullan, M.D.
    Atlanta, GA
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Broasted chicken 2003/12/27 23:20:14 (permalink)
    There's a barbeque restaurant in Burlington, North Carolina that is popular for its broasted chicken. Hursey's barbeque is good and slow cooked over hardwood coals, which is why I visited last summer. But Hursey's also does an enormous business in carry out chicken.

When I was there last August, I saw one group after another arrive and carry out large boxes of broasted chicken for tail gating parties. It looked wonderful and I decided I would definitely try some on my next pass. I've read that Hursey's has the area's favorite take out chicken.

Broasted chicken is indeed deep fried under pressure. The process produces a less greasy tasting fried chicken.
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: Broasted chicken 2003/12/30 10:00:47 (permalink)
    I have made my own type of broasted chicken using my regular old fashioned pressure cooker. I use about two inches of vegetable oil on medium heat for 12 to 14 minutes. I coat the chicken with a light wet mixture similar to a tempura type batter with some breading added. I have done this 4 or 5 times with a great result. The chicken was tender and juicy and the coating was crunchy and tasty. Then I received comments on egullet cautioning against using a regular pressure cooker as a "broaster". The information is even though you can cook chicken this way many times there may be a time when the oil gets too hot or some unknown problem occurs and causes a fire or other catastrophe. Anyhow I stopped using this method since I couldn't verify one way or another how safe/unsafe the process actually is. There are pressure cookers on the market made specifically for cooking in oil under pressure. I haven't gotten to that point yet since I am filled up with appliances right now. On the other hand, maybe I will toss the rotisserie.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Broasted chicken 2003/12/30 16:12:01 (permalink)
    Fagor makes a home pressure fryer (cooker) designed to handle pressurized deep frying.
    Avoid useing others not designed for bubbling oil under pressure!

Here's a link relating to them:
    http://members.lycos.co.uk/pressurecooker/fryer.html

Here's a clip from a guy named dropdeadfred on his comments:

"frying chicken in a presure cooker DON"T DO IT!!!

The presure created by the much higher temperature generated from the oil will most certainly exceed the limitation of any normal presure cooker.

There are pressure cookers specifically designed for frying. Almost all of them include a steel bar which is bolted on over the lid to hold the added pressure. The chicken you get will be the best you;'ve ever had. As for a recipe tip... Try adding bacon grease to the mix for a little added flavor. Do not strain the bacon grease. "
    cindyloo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Broasted chicken 2003/12/30 17:52:46 (permalink)
    Occasionally in Iowa a person can find a restaurant that serves broasted chicken. It is one of my favorite meals to order when available. It is often served with broasted potatoes, which are skin-on potatoes, cut in quarters the long way, and cooked in the broaster. They're usually served with sour cream.

Yummm... might just need to head to the Broadway Diner one of these nights for broasted chicken.

Cindy
    Briarhill
    Junior Burger
    RE: Broasted chicken 2004/01/02 11:10:29 (permalink)
    Regarding the dangers of pressure cooking with typical home units, it should be noted, perhaps, that that paragon of broasted chicken, good ol' KFC, was developed using a first-generation Presto pressure cooker in the 30s. As stated on the KFC website, "Then the Colonel went to a demonstration of a "new-fangled gizmo" called a pressure cooker sometime in the late 1930s. During the demonstration, green beans turned out tasty and done just right in only a few minutes. This set his mind to thinking. He wondered how it might work on chicken."

"He bought one of the pressure cookers and made a few adjustments. After a lot of experimenting with cooking time, pressure, shortening temperature and level, Eureka! He'd found a way to fry chicken quickly, under pressure, and come out with the best chicken he'd ever tasted."

There is even a picture of the original Presto cooker he used:

http://www.kfc.com/about/pressure.htm

Note that this is not a recommendation to try it!

And, if you're ever in the Atlanta area and have a hankering for broasted chicken, try one of the Zesto's outlets (mentioned earlier in this thread in Columbia, SC). Very tasty!

Bob
    Edwaste
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: Broasted chicken 2004/01/02 12:14:50 (permalink)
    Only two places I ever got to try Broasted Chicken. One was a little take out shack behind the Pink Elephant Drive-in Liqour store, somewhere in Wyoming, 1980.

The other was a place called the "Hole in the Wall" which literally was a hole in the wall at the back of this little grocery store in Cape May Courthouse, New Jersey.

One thing about good Broasted Chicken, seems like you've got to wait at least an hour before your order's ready. If you get it faster than that, it was probably not cooked to order which means it's been sitting under a heat lamp ala KFC, getting soggier by the minute. Broasted chicken should be a deep brown and very very crusty.
    2005Equinox
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 219
    RE: Broasted chicken 2004/02/04 02:09:12 (permalink)
    We have a place we get broasted chicken here in northeast Wiscinsin called The Skyview Club. It is a supper club in the middle of nowhere and the chicken is out of this world. There are a few places here that do serve it.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13496
    RE: Broasted chicken 2004/02/06 16:35:17 (permalink)
    My brother had a restaurant in Minneapolis called "The Real McCoy". It was a 50's type of place with a real neat adult bar attached with all kinds of neat adult games.

The best thing he had on the menu was Broasted Chicken. When you order, it takes about 30 minutes to get it but when you do, it was wonderful. Hot, brown and crispy.

I wish we had a place like it in Knoxville that served broasted chicken.

As I recall, the broaster was fairly expensive. He sold the restaurant several years ago.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Broasted chicken 2004/02/16 23:23:01 (permalink)
    When in West Michigan, Visit the Grandvilla Dungeon in Grandville (just outside Grand Rapids to the west) for your fix of Broasted Chicken... Tasty!
    Worked there a few years ago while on a layoff... Pretty intresting on how the bird was prepped, marinated, floured and fried! Again, TASTY! Even the potatoes are awesome! Cooking time was about 8 minutes an order.
    MasterRegi
    Junior Burger
    RE: Broasted chicken 2004/02/25 19:21:31 (permalink)
    "Originally posted by scbuzz"
    If you are ever in Columbia SC, you should try the broasted chicken at Zesto's (actually it is over the bridge in West Columbia). Excellent!

I lived in California for most of my life and always knew of places there that sold Broasted Chicken. But when I moved here to Columbia, SC, it took me ahwile to find a Broasted Chicken place. There are a few places but, Zesto's does, by far have the BEST Broasted in the area, but they have Four (4) fast-food restaurants around here. So if you are ever here try out these locations

504 12th St, 2 blocks South of Hwy 1, West Columbia, SC 29169, 803-794-4652

3239 Forest Dr, 2 blocks West of Beltline, Columbia, SC 29204, 803-782-4454

4001 N. Main St,@ Monticello, Columbia, SC 29201, 803-786-7968

471 Columbia Av, Lexington, SC, 803-951-3435
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Broasted chicken 2004/02/26 10:33:48 (permalink)
    Another place in Columbia for good broasted chicken is Bernie's on Bluff road just down past the USC Stadium and the National Guard Armory. Not as good as Zesto's but pretty darn close !
    Alexander
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: Broasted chicken 2004/03/03 07:00:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by scbuzz

If you are ever in Columbia SC, you should try the broasted chicken at Zesto's (actually it is over the bridge in West Columbia). Excellent !

I second the recommendation, but the chicken tends to be somewhat salty, due to Angelo's marinade.

An interesting note: Angelo hires many high school students as help, but requires them to maintain a B average - they have to bring their report cards for him to check.

You order in one place, then go outside and enter the dining area. They identify where you are by noting on the order form how you are dressed.
    Alexander
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: Broasted chicken 2004/03/03 07:08:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MasterRegi

"Originally posted by scbuzz"
    If you are ever in Columbia SC, you should try the broasted chicken at Zesto's (actually it is over the bridge in West Columbia). Excellent!

I lived in California for most of my life and always knew of places there that sold Broasted Chicken. But when I moved here to Columbia, SC, it took me ahwile to find a Broasted Chicken place. There are a few places but, Zesto's does, by far have the BEST Broasted in the area, but they have Four (4) fast-food restaurants around here. So if you are ever here try out these locations

504 12th St, 2 blocks South of Hwy 1, West Columbia, SC 29169, 803-794-4652

3239 Forest Dr, 2 blocks West of Beltline, Columbia, SC 29204, 803-782-4454

4001 N. Main St,@ Monticello, Columbia, SC 29201, 803-786-7968

471 Columbia Av, Lexington, SC, 803-951-3435

Only the West Columbia location is the original. The other locations belong to one (or more) of Angelo's brothers.
    rosn
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Broasted chicken 2004/11/14 13:59:26 (permalink)
    In Chicago area, you can get great broaster chicken in Glenview at 1336 Waukegan, a family owned take out place. I think they are closed on Sundays. Chicken is made to order and delicious.

Good and Fresh Pizza Bakery
    1336 Waukegan
    Glenview, Illinois
    847724-3297

All broaster chicken is not created equal. There was a recent extensive article in the Washington Post about this.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1