Brown eggs or white....

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
JakerDog
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: Brown eggs or white.... 2008/01/30 16:49:10 (permalink)
I have found the Brown Eggs have thinner shells there for higher unwanted cracks. It seems I get at least one in every dozen. Also I notice when cooking that if I haven't used brown eggs in awhile, I'm a bit heavy handed on the cracking open.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Brown eggs or white.... 2008/02/06 01:19:14 (permalink)
The color of the egg has nothing whatsoever to do with taste or quality.

I buy all my eggs from local farmers who let their chickens run free range. The color is often determined by the breed. Opening a dozen of the eggs in my fridge, you would see green, white, and many shades of brown.

The one characteristic that most have in common is a deep shade of yellow/orange in the yolk.
Lindseyup67
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 175
RE: Brown eggs or white.... 2008/02/06 08:25:37 (permalink)
The color of the egg is based soley on the breed of the chicken, not the feed being given to them. Also, there is NO difference nutritionally or otherwise in white and brown eggs.
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1961
RE: Brown eggs or white.... 2008/02/06 16:15:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JakerDog

I have found the Brown Eggs have thinner shells there for higher unwanted cracks. It seems I get at least one in every dozen. Also I notice when cooking that if I haven't used brown eggs in awhile, I'm a bit heavy handed on the cracking open.

I have a few brown egg laying hens in the yard. The shells on the eggs that they lay are very hard and thick. They also lay less eggs than commercial chickens. The shells are mostly calcium, and it must be very hard for a commercial hen (with brown eggs or white) to eat and process enough calcuim to lay 250 to 300 eggs in a year.
DougS
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 475
RE: Brown eggs or white.... 2008/02/06 22:50:22 (permalink)
quote:
The color of the egg is based soley on the breed of the chicken, not the feed being given to them. Also, there is NO difference nutritionally or otherwise in white and brown eggs.
Bingo Lindseyup67 you win the prize. Must have a farmer background.

It is all in the breed of the chicken and the assembly line, egg layers.
Hens are bred to mass produce, with a ratio of eggs, to feed poundage. Generally, brown egg layers are not as prolific as white egg layers, thus the premium.

If you get eggs with very pale yokes(poor flavour)they are old. A lot of supermarket eggs come from storage.
Dark yokes(orange) are more than likely range fed chickens. Better flavor. Chickens need calcium to strength the shells, and grit, to help grind their food.
By the way, you don't need a rooster to get eggs, only to fertilize the hen if you plan to incubate the eggs.

Eggs white or brown, where would a good breakfast be without a egg.
uncledaveyo
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Brown eggs or white.... 2008/02/08 19:12:39 (permalink)
I think the feed the Chickens receive and the freshness is definitely the key far more than the shell color. Egss are especially tasty if organic.
naxet76
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 351
RE: Brown eggs or white.... 2008/02/13 23:47:59 (permalink)
In my pre children years i have visited three different countries and I never once saw a white egg! And they weren't refrigerated either. I remember walking into a little market in London and the eggs were just stacked there next to the bread in the middle of the store!
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6187
RE: Brown eggs or white.... 2008/02/14 05:19:50 (permalink)
Good point,you're right!!! I wonder why that is? Just the kinds of chickens the Europeans use?
GCD1962
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 66
RE: Brown eggs or white.... 2008/02/17 22:49:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hotdogger

Brown hens lay brown eggs and white hens lay white eggs.
Brown eggs cost slightly more because brown hens eat more food to lay an egg.
That's what I heard.
Oh, and I like brown eggs just because they are uncommon.

That is correct !!! It's not the type of food, but rather the quantity that the different variety of hen eats.
Also, store bought eggs are NOT pasteurized, You can not pasteurize them in the shell. Food service places sell pasteurized eggs in a milk carton type container as it extends the shelf-life. You can easily taste the difference between fresh eggs (from the shell) vs pasteurized eggs.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Brown eggs or white.... 2008/02/18 09:07:19 (permalink)
True,,,true...but sometimes we cholesterol watchers substitute for the substitute...but just for an occassional omlet or batter dipping!!!"The incredible,edible egg"!
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Brown eggs or white.... 2008/03/01 21:28:41 (permalink)
Just came back from shopping at our local Stop and Shop. Noticed they had more cartons of brown than white. That's the first time I've seen that at a supermarket! Many were organic,too.
GenB
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Brown eggs or white.... 2008/03/29 18:04:28 (permalink)
With the jump in egg prices, I'll stick to the cheap white medium-size, unless the price premium for larger sizes is small. The brown eggs look better, but don't taste any different to me and they cost quite a bit more than the white ones here.
steaklover
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 85
RE: Brown eggs or white.... 2008/06/15 13:28:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jimeats

I was led to belive that brown eggs are pretty much a New England item.
There is a commercial from the local egg council here that states
"Brown eggs are local eggs and local eggs are fresh eggs"
I'm not sure if the taste is different white vs brown but commercialy raised and farm raised are like night and day.
A local farm raised egg the youlk is much richer in color and flavor, I'm sure it's all in the feed. Chow Jim

My mother would only buy brown eggs because she said they tasted better. I thought it was a superstition until she told me that the local farmers raised brown chickens so they were fresher.

It may not be true today, since most local farms have been turned into condo developments, but it turned out to be true then. Now most eggs come from factory farms.

I once lived on a farm where we had a small flock of white chickens that were fed only corn, vegetables, and were allowed to roam in the woods to eat bugs. Those were the best eggs I ever tasted and they kept a lot longer.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1